Usering Active directory for role management

Greetings,

Following some walkthroughs, I was able to get my login control to authenticate logins through Active Directory.   I am now trying to get it to also manage roles through active directory, and haven't been successful.

I followed the walkthrough here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnpag2/html/paght000018.asp

After doing that, I appear to have a working role management system.   I can add roles, and add active directory members to roles.   These roles are working fine with <allow> and <deny> tags etc.   The problem though, is I didn't want to create a new, empty, role system.   I want it to integrate with our current active directory "security groups".

Where is it storing these "roles"?  Am I even on the right track for accomplishing what I'm after?
0
srowan1

Active Directory & SQL list of users with managers and managers with users
I have been tasked with some authentication/access items and know there is an easy way to do this within AD but don't know where to start.  What I have set up is a OU called Test Users within an OU called Sales within our main domain.  Within the OU=Test Users there are several security groups having as many as 100 or as little as one person in them.  The goup names are Manager, Regional Mgr, Sales Reps.  A Sales Rep can have a Regional Mgr and a Regional Mgr has a Manager.  There are some cases where a Sales Rep does not have a Regional Mgr and then is associate...

Manage Users For This Role / Manage Roles For This User Question
In the roles/user management pages there is a link called Manage Users For This Role and Manage Roles For This User respectively. I want non Admins to be able to see these pages, and currently I have it so that they can see the manage users and manage roles pages. However, when a non admin clicks on Manage Users For This Role or Manage Roles For This User link it does not display the control, just an empty page. I can get around this by giving edit rights to the page, but I do not want them to have edit rights for the page. Any ideas? Thanks  ...

Role Management using Active Directory Security Groups
Hi Everyone, I'm building a WebApplication using Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2. I want to use WindowsAuthentication for local Intranet and Active Directory Groups for Role Management. Dependently on membership in several AD Groups users should see different nodes in navigation treeview and should have access to different Application directories. With built-in role management via database it works fine. In the ASP.Net configuration tool I switch to authentication mode="Forms", create/manage users and roles, switch back to authentication mode="Windows". This way, hiding of navigation no...

Role Manager unable to find any Active Directory Users
Hello,I've just converted my intranet website from Forms Authentication to Windows Integrated Authentication. I now want to add Windows User Accounts to the various Roles which already exist. When I use the ASP.NET Website Administration Tool to search for a Usename to add to a Role, however, it cannot find any. Is there something I need to do before the Admin tool can query Active Directory?André Not really sure how you would go about it...since you have set Authentication as Windows ....  You might need to setup ActiveDirectoryMemberhip Provider in your web.config....For using ...

Understanding the Security Implication of Active Directory Default Settings Part II of An Audit of Active Directory Security
http://www.securityfocus.com/focus/microsoft/aads2.html -- Regard: Joh@nnes� 1216771 Ont.Inc. "Nothing is more damaging to a new truth than an old error" ...

Duplicate Security Roles Showing up In Security Roles Manager
Anyone have any ideas?  We have had and instance of 3.0.13 with one child portal running for about a month now.  A few days ago our adminstrator noticed that we have duplicate entries for security roles. For example, the Security Roles Manager shows:Name Description Fee Every Period Trial Every Period Public Auto   Administrators Portal Administration         False False   Administrators Portal Administration         False False  Registered Users Registered Users    &n...

Security Roles and User management
I have a question concerning Sercurity roles in 2.0 beta 3. I noticed that I am unable to delete the registered security role from user profiles where as I was able to do this in 1.x will this be the same in the final release? I ask because I would really like to set up 3 security roles just like I currently have in 1.x: Public - no rights other then read ony Registered - allowed to make content changes but not move modules or add users and such Admin - full control Will this be possibe in 2.0? This is kind of a criticle issue for us as we are going to be using DotNetNuke f...

Role Management & Active directory
Hello All,  I need to implement a centralized web page for all intranet applications, which allows the user to see only the applications that he can access only Logining Authentication will be based on AD, windows authentication & role management which will specify useres access groups (that what i have in mind) Im facing a problem in applying such senario, how can login with AD account using Login page then checn logged user role   any help please   Thanks Hi developerHeart, Logining Authentication will be based on AD, windows authentication & role ma...

How to check the username with active directory and fetch the user details from the active directory?
I have a textbox with a submit button.When the admin types the username in the textbox and submits it has to check with active directory and fetch the firstname and last name of the user entered inthe textbox.How will i do this one.Code is appreciated. you will find lot of samples if you search for "ActiveDirectory using .NET" but here is a verysimple code and it works too:-) strLANID = "ADDomainName\user"           Dim dservices As New System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry        ...

Is there a way to authenticate Active Directory users from multiple Active Directory Domains
Is there a way to authenticate Active Directory users from multiple Active Directory Domains in ASP.NET Application using C# or VB.NET?Suppose I have a LoginId "user1" from one of the three Active Directory Domains how can I authenticate it?I have two Active Directory domains. I can authenticate from the Active Directory Domain where my current system Account is logged in. But I can not authenticate from other Active Directory Domains. Actually I have 2 Active Directory domains in my LAN.Kamran ShahidSr. Software Engineer(MCP,MCAD.net,MCSD.net,MCTS,MCPD.net[web])Netprosys Inc.ww...

Manage users and roles for users
Hi. I want to know how can i manage my users and users roles on my hosted website. I want that admin controls (when i log in as admin) allow me to change users roles and other stuff. Any1 have any guide or know any website that teach how to create a "admin.aspx" page to manage users and roles? thx Do you have the schema ready ? If yes, are you willing to change the schema ? Are you using ASP.NET 2.0 ? If yes, you can easily do this using the administration tool in ASP.NET 2.0.                 &n...

Creating User Account Without Default Security Role (Registered User Role)
  My DNN version is 3.1.1. The portal is set to Private Registration. Unauthenicated users have access to the basic pages of the site. We require my company's current customers to register and be approved to have access to all other pages that contain information restricted to them (the major part of the site). As you know, authorizing a user account applys the Registered User security role by default and this is how I control access to the customer areas.  We want to create a page that will be used by Marketing to allow potential customers by login to...

How to Retrieve Role Information for an Active Directory User
I have a web application that uses forms-based authentication with Active Directory.  I would like to check if the user is a member of a particular AD group. According to this TechNet article, you can do this by creating a WindowsIdentity object check for specific roles, like this:    if(HttpContext.Current.User.Identity is FormsIdentity ) {    WindowsIdentity formsUser = new         WindowsIdentity(HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.Name);    if(formsUser.IsInRole("BUILTIN\\Administrators"))   ...

Updating Security Roles using Active Directory
Our company currently uses DNN 1.0.10.d for our intranet portal. We use windows authentication and used the TTT Admin to originally import Security Roles from Active Directory. But it doesn't do any good for updating Security Roles from AD. We are wanting to upgrade to DNN2 and eventually DNN3. We would like to use AD for our permissions and have DNN seamlessly create and update Security Roles. What suggestions do you have in accomplishing this? We only have a small budget for this. Thanks ...

Web resources about - Usering Active directory for role management - asp.net.security

Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Management in business and organizations is an art that coordinates the efforts of people to accomplish goals and objectives using available ...

Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Management in business and organizations is the function that coordinates the efforts of people to accomplish goals and objectives using available ...

Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Management in business and organizations is the function that coordinates the efforts of people to accomplish goals and objectives using available ...

Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Management in businesses and organizations is the function that coordinates the efforts of people to accomplish goals and objectives by using ...

Victorian bushfires: Wye River blaze management holds safety lessons for other towns
Victorians have just witnessed again the terrifying speed with which a beautiful environment can be transformed by bushfire.

Better forest management can help prevent bushfire disasters
Fuel reduction in the vast forests behind the communities along the Great Ocean Road has been neglected for decades.

Develop A Management Culture
To manage your law office best, make management part of your law office culture.

Flayk Family Management App Launches on iOS, Android
Flayk has announced the launch of its family management app on iOS and Android devices. The app allows users to coordinate the lives of multiple ...

The future of data center infrastructure management
Recent research from Intel suggests that, despite the availability of automated solutions for data center infrastructure management (DCIM), many ...

5 courses that’ll boost your project management career for $39
Whether you're just starting out or are looking to change careers, there are certain certifications that hiring managers love to see on a resume ...