SQL Server 2000 with Visual Studio .NET 2005

Current Situation:  SQL Server 2000 DB using ASP 3.0 front-end.  Uses form based user security (i.e. users register online, setup their own profile info, and select their desired group/role).  I as admin, activate there account upon receipt.  Simply uses a user and group table within the DB and links to other tables so I know what user has edited what record(s).  Typical ASP 3.0 web enabled db application.

Goal or Desire: To bring the SQL Server 2000 DB inside a Visual Studio .NET 2005 environment and recreate all ASP 3.0 pages to ASP.NET pages.

Concerns:  User/Role security conversion being that VS.NET 2005 offers the Website Administration Tool.

Assumptions:  If I understand correctly how the VS.NET 2005 IDE works, using the Website Admin Tool automatically creates a NEW SQL database called aspnetdb strictly for user security and not linked to the main database?  If so, I would need to somehow link this new "aspnetdb" database to my main already created SQL Server 2000 DB since my intent is to define a relationship between records and a user that edits them. Am I on the right track?

Feedback?  Comments?  Guidance?

Thank you,

Jayme

0
jayme27

I found the answer in this forum, so all you classic ASP designers seeking to turn to the dark side of ASP.NET with your existing web-enabled DB applications by adopting the Visual Studio .NET 2005 IDE, here's the way you ...

To add the Membership schema to an existing SQL Server 2000 database, just fire up the aspnet_regsql.exe tool and point it to your SQL Server 2000 database. Then, update your Web.config, adding a connection string and pointing the SqlMembershipProvider to using this alternate connection string.  Thereafter, the standard Web Administration Tool within VS .NET 2005 will now point to your SQL Server 2000 db as opposed to using the "aspnetdb" databse that VS.NET 2005 creates automatically for project security (i.e. users, roles, membership).

  http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/08/25/423703.aspx or http://forums.asp.net/t/1181686.aspx or http://aspnet.4guysfromrolla.com/articles/040506-1.aspx

Telling the Membership Providers to Use Your Application's Existing Database is useful for us classic ASP guys who are taking their existing web-enabled db applications and rewriting their front-ends in ASP.NET using Visual Studio .NET 2005.

THIS SOLVES THAT PROBLEM.

Jayme
0
jayme27

How to connect SQL Server 2000 in visual studio.net 2005
How can i connect my ASP.NET web application with my sql server 2000. i used visual studio 2003, and there we drag and drop the data adapter and  then a sql connection and then use them in our application. but here we have only sqldatasource or something. so please tell me to make the connection and data retrieval procedure. Kumud Tripathi You can drag a SQL Data Source object onto you web form and select configure data source. This will give you a wizard to connect to a database, and also allows you to set up insert, delete, update statements. You can then use this datasource to...

SQL Server 2005 express connectivity with Visual Studio.NET 2005
Hello I'm having a problem with the server connection and my C# code. The code executes alright but no data is entered into the database behind it.  I'm pasting the connection code over here as well. The sql commands are used in the code. I think I used the sql server mobile edition which is installed along with visual studio.net 2005. Anyone know what's wrong, and can help me out? Thanks in advance.public static void storeInDb(string trackName, string artist, string albumTitle, string year, string path, uint[] fp) { string connStr="Data Source=.\\SQLEXPRESS;At...

Sql Server 2005 Reporting Service + Visual Studio.NET 2005
Hi, Iam new 2 sql server 2005 reporting services, I created a report server project with few reports and deployed in reportserver. Everything is working fine but i want to integrate these reports to my VS.net 2005 web appliction. Through the interface i have to pass the perameters to my reports. Iam looking for help thxs in advance PradeepPradeep Reddy Take a look over here for a working example : http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/ReportViewer.asp   HTH,Suprotim Agarwal -----http://www.dotnetcurry.com-----ASP.NET Grid With Excel Capabilities | 27 GridView Tips & Tricks |...

Installing .NET Framework, Sql Server 2005 Express, and Visual Studio 2005 Professional
Will someone please offer some advice, a walkthrough, or something to help me through this?  I installed all three of these pieces (.NET, SQL Server 2005 Express, and VS 2005 Professional) onto a WinXP box.  I was unable to get it to work.  It kept throwing SQL errors when I tried to run the security setup for the Personal Website Starter Kit.  So, I uninstalled everything except .NET and reinstalled.  At this point I was able to get to the setup, but unable to add users.  It doesn't throw errors or anything, it just doesn't do anything.  I really re...

AxCMS.net Award 2005 | 1st place: MSDN Professional subscription including Visual Studio 2005 and SQL Server 2005; 2nd place: new Xbox 360
We would like to introduce the 100% cost free AxCMS.net 5.2.2 - brand new release! AxCMS.net is a 100% cost free Enterprise CMS platform for architects and professional developers based 100% on Microsoft .NET. With the new download version we offer ... Improved user interface (thank you for feedback!) International support avaliable! New features (muitisite, permissions, authentication, newsletter, ...) Focused on software architects and professional developers Introducing AxCMS.net Award 2005! The AxCMS.net Award 2005 represent an opportunity ...

Using Visual Studio 2003 with sql server 2000 and planning to switch to sql server 2005
We have a project already developed iusing VS 2003 Enterprise architect edition using sql server 2000(have lots of table and stored procs etc.) Now planning to switch to Sql server 2005 are there any issues associated with the switch.   I mean front end programming wise asp.net and vb.net front end codes do they work straight away or need to make any changes to all the front end codes, we are using datasets, data readers calling stored procs and also using lot of hash tables and XML object to make bulk loads to sql server via sqlxml3.0 sp3. Please help thank you very much for the in...

Visual Basic .NET 2005 Express & Sql Server 2005 Express remote server
Hi,  I want to make a component library in Visual Basic.NET and connect to a remote Sql Server. When I create a new DataSet with the wizard, I can only connect to a .mdf file, but not to a Sql Server. With Visual Web Developer I can connect to a Sql server. What is the difference between these enviroments ? How can I do the same with Visual Basic.NET ?  Thanks in advance. Visual Basic .NET Express cannot connect to SQL Servers. The Visual Web Developer is the only express edition that can utilize SQL Server. You need to upgrade to Visual Studio 2005 Standard or higher.Cheers,&n...

Is Visual Studio.Net 2003 Compatible with SQL Server 2005 Express?
Hi, I am new to this. I have Visual Studio 2003 Developers Edition, but I do not have SQL server 2000, so I downloaded SQL Server 2005 Express(which is free). My question is, is Visual Studio.Net 2003 Compatible with SQL Server 2005 Express? That is, do I need 2.0 framework to work with SQL server 2005, or version 1.1 framework will work fine? Thank you As far as calling the db, it should be fine. You just dont have the integrated functionality (managed SPROCs, etc) that you would get with VS2005(but even then you need the big versions)....

Sql Server 2005 Reporting Service ReportViewer Control and Visual Studio.NET 2003
Hi, We have an ASP.NET 1.1 Application that is written using VS2003 but using SQL Server 2005 as database. Can we use Report Viewer Control that comes with SQL Server 2005 in our ASP.NET 1.1 Application?If not, Can some one suggest some alternative way of showing SQL Server 2005 Reports in ASP.NET 1.1  appllication.  ...

Web resources about - SQL Server 2000 with Visual Studio .NET 2005 - asp.net.security

Windows Server 2016 moving to per core, not per socket, licensing
Windows Server 2016, not likely to arrive until the second half of next year, is going to shake up the way Microsoft licenses its server operating ...

Intel Rising: Server Stronger Than Ever, Says JMP; Here Comes Apple?
... stock to Market Outperform from Market Perform, assigning a $45 price target, righting that the company will strengthen its hold on its server ...

Server shipments, vendor revenue go up in Q3 2015
In the third quarter of 2015, worldwide server shipments grew 9.2 percent from the third quarter of 2014, while vendor revenue increased 7.5 ...

Bloodborne servers taken down for 'emergency maintenance'
An exploit and other "serious issues" have been detected.

PR Guru Working For Clinton Server IT Firm Donated To Hillary’s Campaign
PR Guru Working For Clinton Server IT Firm Donated To Hillary’s Campaign

Quanta, Wiwynn see more orders from server clients for 2016
Quanta Computer and Wiwynn, a server subsidiary of Wistron, are expected to land more cloud server orders from their clients in 2016 as Internet ...

Server Files Sexual Harassment Complaint Against Pigalle Restaurant
... restaurant Pigalle is being accused of sexual harassment by a waitress , who says that management implied her jeans were "too much." The server ...

Hyper-V, PowerShell Top IT Pros' Windows Server 2016 Wish List
Container support is nice, but most IT pros are looking forward to Hyper-V virtualization updates and new PowerShell capabilities.

Many Android apps talk to private servers — and it’s often not clear why
A new report finds that a significant percentage of Android applications engage in covert communication but it's not always clear who they are ...