single authentication for Windows application & Web Application

Is it possible to share user authentication between Windows Application & Web Application?

If yes, how?

I want to show an ASP.Net Web Page to a user who is authenticated in Window Application or viceversa.

Thank you.

Never Say Die
0
sandeepmgupta

Hi sandeepmgupta,

I want to show an ASP.Net Web Page to a user who is authenticated in Window Application or viceversa.

I don't think it can be done directly since Web Application uses cookie to implement authentication while Windows Application not. There're two different authentication mechanisms.

But if the Web Application supports, maybe you could think about passing the username and password via query string to a middle page for the first request - it's not a good practice. For instance:

"http:\\www.xx.com\ForAuth.aspx?username=xx&password=xx"

Within the ForAuth page(allow anonymous access), you could authenticate the user, generate an authentication ticket and redirect the user to the Default page.

Thanks.

David Qian
Microsoft Online Community Support

Wencui
10/15/2008 9:34:17 AM

 I am thinking about to use cookie which can be used using encryption & decryption safely.

What do you think?

Never Say Die
0
sandeepmgupta
10/16/2008 9:27:11 AM

Hi sandeepmgupta,

 I am thinking about to use cookie which can be used using encryption & decryption safely.

Although cookie is more secluded, I don't think you can generate the cookie in a Windows Application directly. The cookie is always generated when communicating with the web server.

If you want to be more safe, you could think about encrypting the query string and decrypting it within the page.

Thanks.

David Qian
Microsoft Online Community Support

Wencui

Communicating with windows application & web application
 Hi all,This problem is related Remoting.I have 2 severs, on one server i have Windows application & on another server i have web application.Now i want to raise Windows application's event from Web Application. that means communication between windows application & web application bidirectionally. My Windows application is in Visual Studio 2005 & Web Application is in ASp.net 1.1.Can i do it with the help of web service?if No then also, i am requesting you to guide me. Thanking You. ...

How i call windows application in web application without using dll of windows application
i want to call Windows application in web Application Without using dll of Windows application in ASP.net 2.0  hi!try this: ProcessStartInfo pi = new ProcessStartInfo("app.exe"); pi.CreateNoWindow = true;  Process p = Process.Start(pi); p.WaitForExit(); if (p.ExitCode != 0){//report error } orzeh  code less, think more!...

web application & mobile web application
Hi all,I am new to mobile web application and I am assigned to do some changes to the existing .net application. The application is a .net web application, and the hand held scanner is used to access the web forms. Till now, I thought it is only possible to access the web forms if they were developed using mobile web forms. But these forms were not developed using mobile web forms instead they were developed using asp.net.Is it possible to develop the application using .net and access through the handhelds? If so, is there any considerations for that?Anyone please explain me. I would really ...

How to extract xml file from window application to web application in .net
hi..i have two software solutions both in .net one is desktop and another is web application.And i want to transfer data between these application using xml. In desktop solution i have created a xml schema and create a xml document that conforms to that schema.XML doucment is created which contains the data.Now i have to extract this xml document into my web application and store the data of this xml file into my database and vice versa. So tell me what are the different methods to get the document from desktop to web and from web to desktop.Actaully i am not much aware of this type i...

Web Application our Windows Application
Hello I am Mona ali, I am developing  a project for HR Management.There is a bank with a lot of people information and about 40 users will work with this bank.  I dont know if  it would be better to design this project in web our windows apllication. Please guide me ASAP! Thanks Mona A windows application would be more secure if the data will be sensitiveMark this post as 'Answer' if (answer == true)Construction Software : www.proccm.comHomeowners place to find contractors www.benspost.org Hi could you be more specific as to your requirements....

Difference B/W windows mobile application & web mobile application
Hi    i want differnce betwwen windows mobile application , web mobile  & smart device application . if anybody know about this post message to me.     From, Guru...

Web Application, Web Services Application : Interdependancies in a single solution
So being a good boy I have two projects (well more than two, but the others don't matter) in my solutionProject A is a normal Web Application project. Project B is a seperate Web Services project, because of course I want to aim a loosely coupled stuff, and the web services will eventually run on another server. But there in is the problem.You can't run the web services project. So I can't add web references from Project A.And even if I managed that by some miracle (or running casini from the command line *grin*) when you startup project A there's no way I can see to tell it to start project...

opening windows application from web application
hi i'm new to this forum. hi to everyone. i want to open a windows application from my web application i did that by using process start method. but button click event in windows application is not firing.. suggest me.. asap Welcome to the forums I didnt understand your question. First you need to tell us where the windows application is located (on the server or on the client side). If it is on the server, check Execute exe application in ASP.NET. If the application is on the client side, you can't run it due to security issues. However, try to search for an activeX contro...

how to connect a windows application to web application
Dear,  I have a windows application and have to manage a database located in an internet server from my windows application. please help me......... Web services would be an option.The web service would act as a broker between the windows app the internet-based database.  It would do the necessary communication of querying and sending data back to the windows app.Hope this provides some insight.- Jesse Jesse WilliamsPlease mark 'Answered' if my post was able to assist you. Thank you sir, But i had not used the web srvice You can check out this article on web serv...

Advantages of web applications over windows applications
Hi, I need to find information about the advantages that have web applications over windows applications. I been searching the web for some info but I couldn’t find any. Any help will be appreciated. lexian:I need to find information about the advantages that have web applications over windows applications. Web and Windows applications are fundamentally different and neither are better than the other, rather they would be suited/geared towards certain scenarios.The basic design on a web application is that the application sits on a web server, and all users will access it via a we...

Converting from windows application to web application!
Hi friends   I want to convert web application written in VB6.0 into Web Application using ASP.NET2.0.  Can any one give some tips or guidance how to approach this? How to start this application? Your input is appreciated.  Thanks Regards Bindu They are really two different things... I'd recommend the following... First, look at how you want to design your website to improve or duplicate the similar functionality you already have in your pc app. While a pc and web app are different, your class library code that does the interaction with databases and man...

Web resources about - single authentication for Windows application & Web Application - asp.net.security

Authentication - Facebook-Entwickler
Please note: On October 3, 2012, the offline_access permission will be removed. If you are building...

Facebook Adds Two Factor Authentication for Login and Redesigns Family Safety Center
... announced the release of several new tools to help users stay safe while using the site. Soon, users will be able to enable two factor authentication ...

YouTube - How To Hack Twitter's New Two Factor Authentication
Veröffentlicht am 23.05.2013 Connect! http://toopher.com http://facebook.com/toopherinc http://twitter.com/toopher CEO Josh Alexander wants ...

Two-factor authentication - cyber security -
Two recent hacking cases highlight how personal emails can impact overall business security through tiny weaknesses.

Hands on: Twitter two-factor authentication
Optus and Vodafone customers need not apply when it comes to Twitter's two-factor authentication.