Security - Manage User error on saving (.NET 2.0)

Hi,

I have set up the membership and roles provider with Active directory and SQL server respectively, and everything was fine. However I am having this problem in the ASP.NET web Adminstration Tool when I go to Manage Users, and try to edit and save a users Email/Description, it returns an error saying:

Please correct the errors below.
  • Type 'System.Security.Principal.SecurityIdentifier' in assembly 'mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' is not marked as serializable.

Yet, I do not have any problem with updating the roles database. A search on net did not return much useful result.

Please help,

Thanks!

0
kolslorr

This is a known bug with the internals of MembershipUser and how it works when remoting is involved (as is the case with the Web Admin Tool).  You should see that the update actually took affect though if you re-view the user record.

You won't run into this problem calling UpdateUser from within a single application.  You will see the problem whenever a MembershipUser instance from ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider gets remoted into another appdomain - which is what happens in the case of the WAT.

-Stefan
sschack
1/19/2006 8:53:19 PM

Hey Thanks!... I was guessing as much... u r really helpful...

0
kolslorr

Security Briefs: Security Enhancements in the .NET Framework 2.0
Security Briefs: Security Enhancements in the .NET Framework 2.0 http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/05/01/SecurityBriefs/default.aspx *********************************************************** Quote *********************************************************** As I write this column, version 2.0 of the Microsoft .NET Framework is at Beta 1. When I got my bits, I hacked together a little program to dump all of the public members of all public types in the entire Framework and ran it on version 1.1 as well as 2.0. I then used WINDIFF.EXE to compare the two text files, and s...

Error with using .Net 3.0 instead of .Net 2.0
Hi,  I have recently made a website in microsoft visual web developer 2005.  When I have uploaded my site to my host I am having trouble.  when I visit the page www.amcnewzealand.co.nz I get an error message.  My web hosting company does not support .net 3.0 but instead use .net 2.0.  My website is made with file extensions .aspx.  I am usure how to tell what version of .net I am using and wether this is the only cause.  At first there was a 403 error occuring. Help would be much appreciated as I have been struggling with this for some time. The version...

Implementing Security using WSE 3.0 and .Net 2.0
Greetings,  I've written a ton of webservices in the past but have never touched WSE or applied any turnkey security policies before. I'm looking for a basic tutorial or article that will walk me through setting up security on a web service using WSE 3.0. I've come across several Microsoft articles but they are more overviews rather than step-by-step implementation guides. (http://msdn.microsoft.com/webservices/webservices/building/wse/default.aspx?pull=/msdnmag/issues/05/11/securitybriefs/default.aspx)(http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/05/11/securitybriefs/default.as...

i ve got System.Security.SecurityException: Request for the permission of type 'System.Net.Mail.SmtpPermission, System, Version=2.0.0.0, failed. exception
hi everyone i created windows form user control and i embedded it to asp.net web for , my user control sends mail using by System.Net.Mail library but when i open my web site and click to send button that on my user control  i ve got this exception System.Security.SecurityException: Request for the permission of type 'System.Net.Mail.SmtpPermission, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.    what can i do ? my best regards ..    Couple of questions: 1) Are you running this from an IIS installati...

Security Exception in .Net 2.0
I have a web site that I created with VB 2003 and .Net 1.1 ... it works fine.  Now I am trying to convert it to VB 2005 and .Net 2.0 but I am running into trouble.   The conversion wizard seemed to handle the conversion OK and I can run the site in debug mode on my development machine without difficulty.  After uploading the site to the server and then trying to run it I get the following security exception:  Exception Details: System.Security.SecurityException: Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.SecurityPermission, mscorlib, V...

Access .Net 2.0 Application from .Net 2.0 Web Site
I need to populate a specific form in a .Net desktop application from a .net web application.  Is there an easy way to go about this? Hi, Based on my understanding, you want to start an executable application from your ASP.NET websit, right? We can invoke Process.Start method (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.diagnostics.process.start.aspx) to launch an executable application from ASP.NET application. Note: Please keep in mind, the ASP.NET application is running on the server, so it will start the executable application that exists in the server.   I look...

Clickonce deployment anyone (DW.NET 2.0 and .NET 2.0)?
I saw someone had posted a question about this already, and there were no responses. So I am hoping that this will get some. We had problems with the previous version of DW.NET 1.5 + VS2003 when attempting to deploy applications via a web server. So many problems that we eventually decided to run off a network drive (which is OK if your user base doesn't roam around the country). Anyway, we gave up on DW.NET, and started to use the datagrid control. Since then, much has changed. Our development team now has VS2005 professional and may start using DW.NET 2.0 (pending my inv...

.NET 3.0 or .NET 2.0?
I'm going to move my exiting software to .net soon. I'm just wondering if I should wait for the .NET 3.0 framework to be released or if I can start with the 2.0 now? I'd say you can go ahead and move your code to .Net 2.0 as .Net 3.0 uses the CLR version 2.0.Basically, .net 3.0 is .net 2.0 PLUS some new features for presentation (GUI), communication and workflow process.  So the compiler as well as the language features used by the 2.0 runtime will be the same in 2.0 and 3.0"Never argue with an idiot; He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experienc...

.NET 2.0 Data Connection (.NET 2.0 Beta Data Provider)
I have installed the .NET 2.0 Beta Data Provider, in the server explorer in Visual Studio 2005 I have tried to connect to this provider but I can not see it in the list. Is there something else you need to do to see this other than what is in the instructions or is this not supported yet? Hi Dean, I assume you mean ASE ADO.NET 2.0 Beta. I'm attaching the html readme for this product that you should have from downloading it. Are you talking about using Server Explorer to see the Provider? This functionality isn't working yet and should be available on GA or shortly ...

Security trouble after installing .net 2.0
I used IE activex control, written using C# 1.1. It worked ok.But after installing .NET framework 2.0, i started to receive following javascript error, when calling this control method: "That assembly does not allow partially trusted callers".Ok, following http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839300/en-us article, I've made assembly strong named, and tuned .Net 1.1 security - no success, than I also tunned for .Net 2.0 - and begun to receive new error: "Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.SecurityPermission, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0,..." fa...

web.config problems when upgrading from .NET 2.0 Beta to .NET 2.0 release version
We uninstalled .NET 2.0 Beta and replaced it with .NET 2.0 release version.  And it messed everything up.  All applications now give weird errors indicating the lack of web.config files, despite the fact that they already have web.config files in place.  For example, the following error occurs even though the web.config file has <customErrors="Off">: Runtime Error Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for securit...

Auto login with .Net 2.0 security suite
Is there a way I can auto logon users to the site, which has the .Net 2.0 memberships built in? Let's say we pass username and password in a link or something and the person who clicks on it should be able to login without further entering the same information on the page.  Any ideas??? That raises extreme security concerns, but there is nothing preventing you from login in a user on your own.Membership.ValidateUser method will allow you to see if a user's name and password are OK. Then you can just FormsAuthentication.SetAuthCookie("someusername", false) to log them in. Thanks fo...

Web resources about - Security - Manage User error on saving (.NET 2.0) - asp.net.security

Krebs on Security
The House Financial Services Committee is slated to hold a hearing this Friday on the impact of cyber heists against small- to mid-sized businesses. ...

Security Middle East - Latest news from the Middle East.
Security Middle East is a news portal for the entire security industry, focussed specifically on latest security news from the Middle East. Security ...

Information Security News, IT Security News & Expert Insights: SecurityWeek.Com
IT Security News and Information Security News, Cyber Security, Network Security, Enterprise Security Threats, Cybercrime News and more. Information ...

Committee on National Security Systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The National Security Telecommunications and Information Systems Security Committee (NSTISSC) was established under National Security Directive ...

Melbourne Airport worker suspended for Julie Bishop security screening
A MELBOURNE Airport worker has been reprimanded after reportedly singling out Foreign Minister Julie Bishop for a security screening.

Wyndham Agrees To Settle FTC Data Security Case
After four years of litigation, this past Wednesday, Wyndham Worldwide Corporation and three of its subsidiaries settled the Federal Trade Commission’s ...

Turing Pharmaceuticals’ Martin Shkreli arrested for security fraud
(credit: NEPA Scene/Flickr ) Martin Shkreli, the reviled CEO and founder of Turing Pharmaceuticals , has been arrested by the FBI amid a security ...

Azealia Banks reportedly arrested in NYC after attacking a security guard
photo: Azealia Banks at Coachella 2015 (more by Samantha Saturday) Azealia Banks was recently under investigation for allegedly punching a security ...

Azealia Banks was arrested for assault in NYC after biting a security guard
... on Rihanna’s new album, was arrested outside Meatpacking club Up&Down on Wednesday after she allegedly went berserk and attacked a female security ...

Theme parks boost security screenings
Major U.S. theme parks in Florida and California are implementing additional security measures to screen visitors.