RoleId/Name as Foreign Key

I'm trying to create a relational SQL data table where one of the foreign keys relates to the aspnet_Roles table.
At first, I was linking to the RoleId field because it was the primary key, but that's no good because I can't retrieve the RoleId of a RoleName from my code.

I then read this post:
http://forums.asp.net/p/1077364/1585594.aspx#1585594

How do I reference the RoleName field as a foreign key? I tried doing it but because RoleName isn't a Primary Key or 'Unique', it won't let me do it.
I get the following message:
'The columns in table 'aspnet_Roles (dbo)' do not match an existing primary key or UNIQUE constraint.'

Any help is appreciated.

0
schuminator

schuminator:

How do I reference the RoleName field as a foreign key? I tried doing it but because RoleName isn't a Primary Key or 'Unique', it won't let me do it.
I get the following message:
'The columns in table 'aspnet_Roles (dbo)' do not match an existing primary key or UNIQUE constraint.'

Hi

I'm afraid you cannot set the RoleName field as a foreign key since RoleName is not UNIQUE

e.g: execute the following code and open your [dbo].[aspnet_Roles] table

        Roles.CreateRole("myrole");
        Roles.ApplicationName = Roles.ApplicationName + "me";
        Roles.CreateRole("myrole");

The defalut SQL role provider doesn't have roleID property, I think you need to query it by yourself or customize the role provider to achieve the aim

Best Regards
XiaoYong Dai
Microsoft Online Community Support

XiaoYong
11/28/2007 9:37:41 AM

Yeah that's what I thought.

schuminator

Foreign Key Names
I can't seem to figure out where to set the Foreign Key Naming convention. As I generate from a CDM to PDM how do I take control of how relationships are migrated and named. and, what documentation should I read to get a better handle on this? OK, you do not have any control over the default foreign key names in the initial CDM -> PDM generation. However, after you change it in the PDM, the next time you generate PD will abide by your names. -- Michael F. Nicewarner [TeamSybase] psyclo@datamodel.org http://www.datamodel.org "Coy Lay" <coy.lay@acm.c...

Foreign key name
Hi all, I am using PD 11 . The scenario is: when I create two relations between 2 tables (one with role name and the other without role name) then generate the physical model, and use the %PROLE% as FK column name . when the model generates , one FK gest the role name and the others that hadn't role gest the table name as FK. I want to change the default of tabel name to column name is there any one that knows the solotion? regards, The default behavior is for the parent table column name to be used as the FK column. The columns from the first reference should be the ...

Name of foreign key
Hello ! I am working on a program we bought. The previous developpers used PowerAMC and I can't find where they precised the way to name foreign keys. Exemple : if the table "Bill" has a reference to the table "Supplier", when I generate the MPD, the reference is converted this way in the table BILL : ID_SUPPLIER. I want to know where "ID_%TABLE%" is defined ? Otherwise, is it possible for certain foreign keys to define in the MCD the name they will have in the MPD ? Exemple : I have an other table where I want one foreign_key to have a special n...

Name Of Foreign Key
I'm using SQL Any50, ORACLE, and SQL Server 6.5 with a PB 6.0 Application. I'm looking for a solution to get the name of the Foreign Key, for some Table of my application. Is there someone who know where i can find it in the system table ? Thank's ETIENNE St�phan Steph -- In Oracle, you need to look at either the ALL_CONSTRAINTS or the USER_CONSTRAINTS view. In SQL Server 6.5, you would look at the SYSREFERENCES table. I'm not sure where you'd look in SQL Anywhere. HTH Ron Gallagher, CPDP Atlanta, GA rongallagher@mindspring.com Steph w...

Table design question (to foreign key or not to foreign key)
Our application is a message board and is full of messages, threads, and forums. A message is an individual entry (like the one I'm typing now ;)). Our software gives the user the ability to upload a single file attachment to each message. I can think of a couple different ways to design the two tables: message( messageid numeric identity, attachmentid numeric null, messagetext text, other, message, stuff... ) attachment( attachmentid numeric identity, title varchar, other, stuff ) or message( messageid, messagetext text, other, stuff ) attachment( messageid numeric foreig...

Foreign key names #2
Hi all, I like to have all my foreign key names set to FK_%PARENT%_%CHILD% so that I have an idea of what the link is. When I set this up in Rebuild Indexes, I get sporadic parent and child table names. For example, I have 3 tables Template, Customer & Store. When I set up an FK between Template (child) and Customer (parent) I get FK_CUSTOMER_STORE. Sure enough there is an FK between Customer & Store but why is it being referenced ? OK, are you wanting to control the names of indexes or foreign key constraints? FK Indexes: You can't use %PARENT% or %CHILD%...

Naming of foreign keys in the PDM
When I have relationships between two tables, I cannot influence the name of the foreign key field which is generated. Example: I have two tables: customer, user I have two user references in the customer table, the user who manages the customer and the user who created the customer record. When I generate the PDM I always get the field names "id_user" and "id_user2" which are not really useful. I would prefer "managing_user" and "creation_user". Is there a way to influence these names? Regards, Martin -- Martin Matt Neudorfstr...

Foreign Key Inferred Name
So I'm a complete noob to Dynamic Data. My team set up a Dynamic Data website which we're essentially using for scaffolding...we have an already existing DB schema which we plugged it into. And it works perfectly! One thing though - the Dynamic Data code automatically infers a friendly name when generating a drop down list for a foreign key. In our case, we have a "Contacts" table, and the primary key is ContactID, and the first field in the table is "First_Name", and this is what is showing up in the drop down menu. So for instance, when adding or editing an...

Foreign Key names #3
I wanted to know if there is a way to control the naming convention of foreign keys in power designer, while generating a PDM from CDM. Thnx Javed Rahman javed_r@hotmail.com � You can change this in the DEF file for the target database you are selecting. Find the file and open it in an editor. You should find a block that looks like this: # Constraint name template for Primary Keys PKConstraintName = PK_%.U27:TABLE% # Constraint name template for Foreign Keys FKConstraintName = FK_%.U8:CHILD%_%.U9:REFR%_%.U8:PARENT% # Constraint name template for Alternate Keys AK...

DA and foreign key names
When generating the physical data model, DA will rename a column which has a foreign key (so that the column name is the same as the foreign key column name). Is there a way to disable this ? Scott...... Scott Cunningham wrote: > > When generating the physical data model, DA will rename a column which has > a foreign key (so that the column name is the same as the foreign key > column name). Is there a way to disable this ? > > Scott...... I would sure like to know how as well!!! We've been renaming the FK columns to an appropriate name on the first ge...

Naming foreign keys PD9
I would like to change the standard way of naming the foreign keys in the PDM. In the DBMS definition, I change ConstName (Script->Objects->Reference->ConstName) and it works: FK_%CHILD%_%PARENT% leads to the name FK_CHILDTABLE_PARENTTABLE Now, I would like to include the name of the referenced parent primary key column (in this particular model, there is always only one column referenced), but FK_%CHILD%_%PARENT%_%PKEYCOLUMNS% yields FK_CHILDTABLE_PARENTTABLE_ I've tried almost all variables listed in the PDM reference guide, but I don't get there...

foreign keys in my Security Application
Hello , i want to use the ASP.NET 2.0 Membership and Profile Features in my Application but want to store the Data in a different Table. What field in Security table can i use as a foreign key in my custom created table? Do you think i should use the username as it is unique? Hi Usually, we use UserID as the foreign key rather than UserName. Here Scott Mitchell provides a beautiful explanation. Hope it helps http://forums.asp.net/thread/1525341.aspxBest RegardsXiaoYong DaiMicrosoft Online Community SupportPlease remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to c...

Multiple Foreign Key names
Hi all, PD15 EBF7 Table A B C Column a pk a pk a fk1, fk2 aa b c aaa c d A and C are linked by reference D. B and C are linked by reference E. I can see that fk1, fk2 are displayed in C table. I hope that fk is only displayed in C table. TIA Robert, I am not sure I understand what you need to see. When you fold a foreign key like you have with column a in table C, it is important to know it is a foreign...

Foreign key to other table, with foreign key back to first one: ok?
Is it ok for two tables to have foreign keys to each other based on the same columns? If so, are there rules about the cascade settings in such a case? I am thinking of tables that are virtually one-to-one with each other and can tend to be viewed or deleted equally "from either end". -- Steve http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Sector/6376 The first problem I see with this is that it is a "which came first, the chicken or the egg" type of a problem. When you insert into one table the FK is going to want to check to see if the value is in the other...

Web resources about - RoleId/Name as Foreign Key - asp.net.security

Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978 Amendments Act of 2008 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ...
The FISA Amendments Act of 2008 (also called the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978 Amendments Act of 2008 , H.R. 6304 , enacted 2008-07-10) ...

A list of some major attacks on foreign soil that claimed Canadian lives
A list of some of the attacks since 2000 that claimed Canadian lives.

Fox's Johnson Jr. Calls U.S. Foreign Policy 'Wheel Of Fortune'
... bile-inducing segment was much like you'd expect: a bitch session of disrespect and vitriol towards the 'Kerry, Clinton and Obama' foreign policy ...

General Tells All: America’s Legalization Of Pot Ruins Foreign War On Hard Drugs
General Tells All: America’s Legalization Of Pot Ruins Foreign War On Hard Drugs

‘Son Of Saul’ Trailer: New Look At Foreign Language Oscar Front-Runner
First-time helmer Laszlo Nemes ’ Son Of Saul picked up a Foreign Language Oscar nomination last Thursday after it won the Golden Globe the Sunday ...

Alps Avalanche Kills 5 Foreign Legionnaires
Five French Foreign Legionnaires were killed Monday during a training exercise in the French Alps, the second mountain tragedy in France in less ...

Sweet Kashmir apples feel the pinch of its foreign cousins
Sweet Kashmir apples feel the pinch of its foreign cousins - This followed the notification of Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) allowing ...

India Outlines Ambitious Agenda To Boost Startups As Well As Stem Their Exodus To Foreign Lands
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi speaks during the Startup India event in New Delhi on January 16, 2016.(Image:STRDEL/AFP/Getty) Surrounded ...

Iranian foreign minister confident nuke deal will be completed Saturday
Iranian foreign minister confident nuke deal will be completed Saturday

India, Pakistan Foreign Secy talks likely in January
The understanding reached between Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar and his Pakistani counterpart Aizaz Ahmad Chaudhary when they spoke on Thursday ...