Problem with Web Site Admin Tool: Unable to connect to SQL Server database

 I'm getting the following error when I run the Web Site Admin tool against a SQL Server 2000 server (not the express server) with all the provider tables installed in the Northwind database.   The error occurs after I bring up the Tool, click Security, then click on either Create/Manage Roles or Create/Manage Rules.

Unable to connect to SQL Server database. at System.Web.Administration.WebAdminPage.CallWebAdminHelperMethod(Boolean isMembership, String methodName, Object[] parameters, Type[] paramTypes) at ASP.security_roles_manageallroles_aspx.BindGrid() at ASP.security_roles_manageallroles_aspx.Page_Load() at System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.ArglessFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o) at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

I've tried this using both Windows Impersonation (I'm dbo in this database) and using an explicit login using a SQL Server account I had created for id="ASPNET", with permissions granted to ASPNET.  IOW, I've tried both these connection string settings:

<connectionStrings>
    <add name="MySecuritySettings" connectionString="User ID=ASPNET;Password=ASPNET123;Initial Catalog=Northwind;Data Source=spri11u11002"/>
Source=spri11u11002"/>
 </connectionStrings>

<connectionStrings>
    <add name="MySecuritySettings" connectionString="Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=Northwind;Data Source=spri11u11002"/>
  </connectionStrings>

Here are my membership/role manager settings from web.config:

<roleManager enabled="true"/>
   <membership defaultProvider="CustomizedProvider">
 <providers>
 <clear/>
 <add name="CustomizedProvider" type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider" connectionStringName="MySecuritySettings" applicationName="/MembershipAndRoleSecurityTest" minRequiredPasswordLength="6" minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0"/>
 </providers>
   </membership>

- David

Please click "Mark as Answer" on all posts that help you.
0
dbland07666

dbland07666:

The error occurs after I bring up the Tool, click Security, then click on either Create/Manage Roles or Create/Manage Rules.

<roleManager enabled="true"/>

Hi

I assume that you've ran the aspnet_regsql.exe and it created the tables succesfully.

So you should add also a provider for roles. E.g:

<roleManager enabled="true" defaultProvider="SqlRoleProvider">
      <providers>
        <clear/>
        <add name="SqlRoleProvider" applicationName="TestItAll" connectionStringName="XXXXX"
             type="System.Web.Security.SqlRoleProvider"/>
      </providers>
</roleManager>

Hope this will help.

Best Regards
XiaoYong Dai
Microsoft Online Community Support

XiaoYong
7/30/2007 8:37:27 AM

That was it, I mixed up my settings, thanks

- David

Please click "Mark as Answer" on all posts that help you.
0
dbland07666

Web Site Administration Tool very slow
I have created a website that uses forms authentication (against aspnetdb under SQL server 2000).   I managed to create a user through the "CreateUserWizard" control on my page, can authenticate my user through the  test website but are strugling endlessly to use the website admininistration tool to manage folder\file access for this user.... I open the Website Administration Tool and click on the security link...it takes literally 30 seconds before it opens the security page - something I don't really understand because everything is local on my machine. Once here ...

Got a problem on "Using the Web Site Administration Tool" -- Unable to connect to SQL Server
Hi, I'm trying the tutorial for Visual Web Developer 2005 Express. I did everything like the tutorial told me, then I reach the step of "Using the Web Site Administration Tool". In the Administration Tool, it showed: ------------------------------------------------- Application:/Authors Current User Name:RADISHJDESKTOP\RADISHJ ---------------------------------------------------------- After I click the "Security" folder label, it showed: ---------------------------------------------------------- There is a problem with your selected data store. This can be caused by an invalid server name or...

Problem connecting to security tab in web site admin tool
hi i can't connect to security tab in website admin tool. i keep recieving the error 26 and 40 that i need some remote connection opened for sql server, it isn't even installed because it failed and this came up: System.Web.HttpException: Unable to connect to SQL Server database. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, erro...

Web Site Admin Tools (WSAT) problem connecting to my database
All,I created a small web app and tried to use the WSAT tool and I keep getting the following :There is a problem with your selected data store.  This can be caused by an invalid server name or credentials, or byinsufficient permission.  It can also be caused by the role manager feature not being enabled.  Click the button below to beredirected to a page where you can choose a new data store.The following message my help in diagnosing the problem: Unable to connect to SQL Server databaseThe database I am running is SQL Server 2005 on a seperate machine and I ran the necessary ...

Web Administrator Tool
I would like to setup the membership and role in web administrator tool, however, under Security section, I got the error message of "Unable to connect to SQL database". I tried to run aspnet_regsql.exe to edit the config(C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727>aspnet_regsql.exe), however, it still shows this error message.  I am using web developer 2008 and SQL Server 2005. Please advice me how to tackle this problem.   Thank you.       Is the SQL server on the same box?  Are you able to connect to it using other SQL client (eg...

Web Site Admin Tool -> Tab Security -> Unable to connect
Hi, i´ve installed VS 2005 and SQL Server 2005 Express Edition. I was trying to access the Web Site Administration Tool to use membership. I was getting the error that i did not have a database, so i used aspnet_regsql and created one successfully (i checked in sql server management and the db was there). But know when i click the security tab, the folowing error appears: "There is a problem with your selected data store. This can be caused by an invalid server name or credentials, or by insufficient permission. It can also be caused by the role manager feature not being en...

Problems when accessing ASPNET security database on host web server using my localhost admin tool
Hi I have developed a small test web site in VS2005 Web Developer Express and have used the MS ASPNET database in App_Data for managing users, roles etc. I have also tested setting permissions on folders like "/admin" so that it is only available for role "Administrators" etc. And it works fine on my localhost machine. I shall say: using the built in web server in VS, with dynamic ports. The authentication works fine, when prompted with login page I just logon and gets access to the secured pages. On my hosted web server there is an SQL Server 2005 instance,...

problems connecting to my SQL server database in .NET
I am able to connect and display data in classic asp just fine, but I cannot connect to my database using ASP.NET. I have tried 2 tutorials on here and neither has worked. They both give me the same error: "Login failed for user 'NASHIE\ASPNET'." I am currently working on this tutorial: http://asp.net/webmatrix/tour/section3/binddatagrid.aspx "Display Data with MxDataGrid" [wmx:SqlDataSourceControl id="SqlDataSourceControl1" runat="server" UpdateCommand="" SelectCommand="SELECT * FROM [Orders]" ConnectionString="...

web site administration tool unable to connect to database
I'm using VS 2005 Standard / SQL Server 2005 Standard on my machine. I am able to connect to the database using code in the code-behind file of a page. But when I try to use the web site administration tool, I get connection errors (I've run the aspnet_regsql tool). Why am I able to connect with code but the web site admin tool can't connect? I've been fighting this for a few days and have searched the forums but haven't found an answer. I'm at my wits end. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the web site admin tool working?  Thanks. I seem to have it working now. I gu...

Web Site Administration Tool
Hello I have a access database in my site. when i want to configure the login control the Web Site Administration Tool give me the message: Unable to connect to SQL Server database I have to use the sql server database? Thank youMario Lopes Try to add a new provider on the "Provider" page of the WAT. If you are working on VS2005, Go to menu Website - ASP.Net Configuration and on Providers tab verify or change your provider to MS Access DB. Yes i'm working with vs2005 (in beta version i didnt had this problem) When i choose the provider tab i can't configure access because i ge...

web.config Profile : Unable to connect to SQL server database
Hi, I have added three parameters in my web.cong file as Profile (from line 79 to 86, below), in order to pass a message from one page to another. I got this error while running my application : Impossible d'établir une connexion à une base de données SQL Server. It means : Unable to connect to SQL server database. I use vwd2008 in my client machine and SQL Server 2000 on the server. Thank you for helping me  Here is my web config :  1 2 <!-- 3 Remarque : au lieu d'éditer manuellement ce fichier, vous pouvez utiliser 4 l'outil d'...

Unable to connect to SQL Server database from the website administration tool.
Hi I have sql server 2005 local to which I am able to connect from my visual studio applications without any problem, However, when I click on the ASP.NET Configuration menu to use the website administration tool, and I click on the security tab to set users and roles,it give me an error message of "Unable to connect to SQL Server database. ". I thought it had something to do with the way my web.config file was written, but I started a new application from scratch and I couldnt do it there either. Any one can give me an idea of what could be wrong and how I could fix this? &...

Website Administration Tool
Hi, I have a SQL Server 2000 database on a Server 2003 machine, and my VWD 2008 express edition running on my Windows XP Pro PC. Having problems connecting to the DB via the Website Administration Tool. I can connect successfully using other pages and have retrieved data from the DB. Testing my connection works successfully. I have run the aspnet_regsql.exe and set up the aspnet_x tables in my database. But I want to set up security and cannot connect to the DB via the Website Admin Tool.  Any ideas? Is this a security / permissions issue caused by having the DB and VWD runni...

Problems connecting to an SQL database on my external web hosting server
I am very new to ASP.NET and am having lots of problems trying to host a simple membership application on a Fasthosts server.  I can FTP pages up to the server and I can browse them but as soon as the 'login' control or 'create user' control attempts to access my 'database' I get the following error msg: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces,...

Web resources about - Problem with Web Site Admin Tool: Unable to connect to SQL Server database - asp.net.security

Five million customers affected by Vtech database hack
Toy and educational material seller Vtech has revealed five million customers were affected by a hack of its app database and has also suspended ...

IDG Contributor Network: Avoiding ginormous transaction logs with SharePoint databases
... why do we see these humongous transaction logs so often? I am going to blame it on a “misunderstanding” of how Microsoft describes a full database ...

Change your passwords: NexusMods suffers database breach
... security breach by posts on reddit. Cybersecurity firm REN-ISAC had apparently contacted several university IT departments about a database ...

VTech Admits Lack of Database Security Opened Door to Hack
A SQL injection, a common software flaw, was found to be the root cause in the VTech breach.

MapR And Big Data In The World's Largest Biometric Database Project
India?s Aadhaar project is one of the world?s most ambitious big data projects, aiming to collect, store, and utilize biometric information from ...

Trump calls for surveillance of some mosques, attempts to clarify remarks on Syrian database
Trump calls for surveillance of some mosques, attempts to clarify remarks on Syrian database