MySQL as membership provider for VWD 2008 Express

I have been using VWD 2008 Express with the local SQL database to provide membership (users/roles) service.  The built-in user creation and password retrieval are great.  However, my Windows/.Net host does not support SQL.  Can I use a MySQL database to provide the membership service?  I understand that there is a .Net Connector from MySQL, but I am uncertain if it works to this level of functionality.  If it can provide membership service, what steps are needed to do so?

If VWD 2008 Express lacks this compatibility, will upgrading to a Visual Studio Standard edition improve the situation?

Eric Speicher
0
_Degan_

You could try to use MySQL, but my experience is that is very hard to do it in a shared hosting environment.

http://blog.nolanbailey.com/2008/03/08/mysql-aspnet-membership-and-role-provider/194

But instead of SQL server Or MySQL, why not use Access?

Using the Microsoft Access Providers to Replace the Built-In SQL Server Providers

0
hans_v
4/17/2009 3:31:27 PM

I will follow the links you have provided and attempt to learn.  I will post a follow-up if that has helped me move things forward.

I was originally using Access for this project until I ran into the following:

http://forums.asp.net/t/1319002.aspx

Given the lack of response, my assumption is that Access is not fully supported as a membership provider.  Additionally, I find using Access to be a host of problems, including my inability to decipher the specialized Access SQL syntax and write LEFT JOIN statements properly.

Eric Speicher
0
_Degan_
4/17/2009 4:13:42 PM

_Degan_:

Given the lack of response, my assumption is that Access is not fully supported as a membership provider.  Additionally, I find using Access to be a host of problems, including my inability to decipher the specialized Access SQL syntax and write LEFT JOIN statements properly.

You can use Access as a membership provider without any problems, just follow the tutorial I pointed earlier. When you run into any problems using Access, or about Access syntax, please use the right forum to ask you questions:

Access Databases and AccessDataSource Control

0
hans_v
4/17/2009 5:50:21 PM

 Degan. I am writing a tutorial on how to use MySQL Connector with ASP.NET MVC. First part covers the basics of membership provider set up. You can have a look if you want. Maybe you'll find it helpful: http://blog.devarena.co.uk/2009/05/aspnet-mvcmysql-membership-provider-da1/

Regards

0
lpaluszk