Multiple applications and users

We have multiple applications (100+) and lots of users.

Some users need access to multiple applications.

We have a central administration application, that handles all user management.

We use membership, role and profile providers.

Question:

Should I create an record in the aspnet_Applications for each application, or is it better to use a central single "domain" name in the aspnet_applications table and use the aspnet_Roles table to store the applications, the user has access to?

Johan Theunissen
MCPD, MCSE, MCTS BizTalk 2006

==============================

JohanNL

Are you using the default schema provided by Microsoft?  If so, I don't think it supports allowing users from one application to log in to another.  Each user record is associated with a specific application.  So if you need your users to be able to use the same account in multiple applications, you may have to use a single application name to accomplish that goal.

0
d_helland
4/9/2009 5:30:43 PM

I solved issue with Roles, instead of Applications..

 Thanx

Johan Theunissen
MCPD, MCSE, MCTS BizTalk 2006

==============================

JohanNL

Multiple type of Users, with Multiple User login pages in one web application
Hello Friends, I have a situation in my website.I am using form authentication in my web application where I have two type of usersMerchants & Customers Merchants sign in from url/msignin/default.aspx and after sign in it redirects to secure folder /merchants/welcome.aspx and Customers sign in from/csignin/default.aspx and after sign in it redirects to secure folder /customers/welcome.aspx Now I am confused on the point that I only have one login url in my web.config file and only one default url. How can i make these two situations work on my same application. Please help. ...

security in .net applications
HI,I  would like to know what are security settings in .net projects and why do we use them.Normally,when i did a web application i will do the security settings  in IIS.I am doing anything wrong.Are they need to be done through .net application.Please give me some examples explaining security settings in .net using security class IIS and .NET application security work in conjuction to secure an application. Security is a complicated subject in any application, however a good place to start is msdn, your first read should be:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa...

How to update/modify a ADAM user/Group/Application using vb.net or c#.net
 Hi I  need  help for update/modify a ADAM user/Group/Application using vb.net or c#.net RegardsMallikarjunaP.Mallikarjuna Hi,you can take a look at this Microsoft support site: http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?view=en-us&st=a&na=84&qu=adam+update+group&qp=&qa=&qn=&c=4&s=0Also, when I think about ADAM/Active directory and doing something against this technology I think of LDAP queries, so this becomes: http://www.google.be/search?hl=nl&q=ldap+query+C%23&meta=Grz, Kris.Read my blog. Handy Firefox plugins fo...

Hi..Every One I have a doubt in Vb.NET windows application in attaching multiples files for mail application
 Iam having a Button named ReportSend If iam clicking that button I do the following code to work beyond it..The doubt is Iam having a vb application already done and i need to take .xml file and log.txt files alone in attachment by using application.path..how to do this..iam giving My code please help..i need to complete this module by few days. D:\RAST\RAST\bin\Debug\Reports -- this path contains many .xml files D:\RAST\RAST\bin\Debug -- this path contains many .log filesWithout giving the full path i need to take only those .xml and .log extension files using application.pa...

aps.net application security
Dear Sir, I had developed an application using asp.net, which contains lot of flash modules.(e-learning) I had deployed the same in windows 2003 server, and I configred the same in IIS6 web server. This server is send to branches which is connected with local LAN. Sir, I WANT MY application to run for 12 months only, after that it should expire automatically. please help me with code. regards, jagdish Hi bjagdeesh, Sir, I WANT MY application to run for 12 months only, after that it should expire automatically. please help me with code. It's difficult for us to give you the...

Security Patches for the User Application
Greetings Everyone, Cross-Site Scripting vulnerability has been discovered in the current releases of the Novell User Application and Novell Identity Manager Roles Based Provisioning Module (301, 3.5.0, 3.5.1, 3.6.0,and 3.6.1). TID #7001157 should be available shortly to the public about this. We have released Public Patches for all of the above Releases. Make sure to use the Patch Installer(s) that come with these new patches or else you will experience problems. The patch installer does support Console Mode for Linux (if that is required) You can find all of the patches ...

User Application security model
Hello everybody, I'm trying to reach a better understanding of the UA security model. By this I mean the various levels and layers that define wheter a user can or cannot read/write an attribute through specific portlets of the UA. This is important for me to properly configure the UA to do behave in a specific way, outlined lower in this message. 1. UA Security Model ==================== Consider for instance the "detail" portlet used for modifying one's own first name. 1. The logged on user has to be allowed to execute the portlet. 2. The logged on user ...

User control for multiple applications
I am trying to build a user control which I can use across multiple applications - All the applications I am developing will have the same header, so naturally I have created a user control for this. As far as I understand, you need to create a strong key for the user control and add the dll to the GAC, and add a reference to the machine.config file. I have read an article on this but have not been able to get it to work:(http://www.ondotnet.com/pub/a/dotnet/excerpt/aspdotnetian_6/index4.html). The error occurs when I try to register the usercontrol on the .aspx page, eg. <%@ Regis...

User Application load-balancing + fault tolerance ; User Application scaleability
Hello all, Please bare with these rather naive questions regarding the U.A. I'm trying to confirm/infirm some possibilities for a customer and I cannot find all the information I'd need in the Novell documentation. Is there any other way to do load balancing + fault tolerance with U.A. beyond using JBoss clustering ? I suppose one way would be to have two completely distinct U.A. installs (each with its own DB) and do load-balancing through a dedicated device (web gateway/proxy). Any other idea ? I highly suspect running two separate instances of the U.A. using the same...

User Application 3.6 with 3.51 User Application Driver
I'm trying to set up User Application 3.6 in a lab environment. When I start JBoss, I get an error " User application driver (UAD) is not compatible with User Application version 3.6. Please upgrade your UAD using Designer for Identity Manager." Designer version 2.1.1 doesn't prompt me to upgrade the driver. Do I need Designer 3.0? Doug Black;1584150 Wrote: > I'm trying to set up User Application 3.6 in a lab environment. When I > start JBoss, I get an error " User application driver (UAD) is not > compatible with User Applicati...

Security accross multiple domains applications
We have several websites that are public anonymous access websites.  Each one has its own application and domain. Right now we have several websites on one server and two websites running on another server. So its like Server 1------------www.microsoft.comwww.google.comwww.asp.netServer 2-------------www.apple.comwww.hp.com Each website is starting to develop a need for a secure site, at the moment we cheat and have one secure site on one of the websites that people go to.  Is it possible to have single sign on accross all the websites including the ones on the other servers?&n...

Mapping a single user to multiple applications
I want to implement a single user sign on system for several web applications using the membership provider in asp.net 2.0 but having examined the schema of the generated schema for the database I have found a problem. The primary key in the aspnet_users table is user_id as it is in the aspnet_membership table. This makes it difficult for a user to use the same login for several applications. I know it is possible to apply the same application name to the web.config file in several sites so that the user list applies across applications. The only problem with this is that&nb...

Single user with access to multiple applications
Hi There I am implimenting the .NET 2.0 Membership system within a set of applications I am working on.  I am using the SqlMembershipProvider. I want to know if it is possible to give 1 user account access to multiple applications.  Looking at the DB schema, there seems to be a 1 to 1 membership between a User and an Application. Ideally I want a 1 to Many relationship.  This would affectively allow us to grant an existing user access to new applications as they are developed.  It would also allow a user to log in, and be presented with a list of Applications they...

Web resources about - Multiple applications and users - asp.net.security

New solution helps enterprises manage web applications
The shift towards the cloud means that running applications is now often done in a browser. While this is convenient for the end user it can ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 30% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Slightly Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 0.2 percent from one week ...

Mortgage applications down 0.2%

PCB firm Unitech looks to automotive, IoT applications for 2016 growth
PCB maker Unitech Printed Circuit Board expects demand for any-layer designs for use in automotive electronics, wearables and other IoT-connected ...

A new edition of CRISPR promises to make gene therapy ready for human applications
Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard and the McGovern Institute for Brain Research have developed a way to significantly cut down on “off-target” ...