membership not added to app's web.config

I am using Visual Web Developer 2008 and Sql Server 2005 Express. When I use the web config tool to setup membership and roles no code is added at all to my app's web.config, shouldn't it have generated code similar to what's below? (copied from Guthrie's blog)

 <membership>

            <providers>

                <clear/>

                <add name="AspNetSqlMembershipProvider"

                    type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"

                    connectionStringName="LocalSqlServer"

                    enablePasswordRetrieval="false"

                    enablePasswordReset="true"

                    requiresQuestionAndAnswer="true"

  requiresUniqueEmail="false"

                    passwordFormat="Hashed"

                    maxInvalidPasswordAttempts="5"

                    minRequiredPasswordLength="7"

                    minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="1"

                    passwordAttemptWindow="10"

                    passwordStrengthRegularExpression=""

                    applicationName="/"

                />

            </providers>

      </membership>

 I have gone through the same steps provided by multiple tutorials but the app's web.config does not get populated with anything even close to the above code. Is this normal behavior? It doesn't seem like it from what I've seen thus far.

Thanks,

James

0
Beholder

Hi

try this in web.config

<membership defaultProvider="MyProvider" userIsOnlineTimeWindow="25">
			<providers>
				<add name="MyProvider" type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" connectionStringName="eLocalize_ConnStr" applicationName="/" enablePasswordRetrieval="true" enablePasswordReset="true" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" requiresUniqueEmail="false" passwordFormat="Clear" maxInvalidPasswordAttempts="5" minRequiredPasswordLength="5" minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0" passwordAttemptWindow="10" passwordStrengthRegularExpression=""/>
			</providers>
		</membership>
		<roleManager cacheRolesInCookie="true" cookieName="TaskCookie" cookiePath="/" cookieProtection="None" cookieRequireSSL="true" cookieSlidingExpiration="false " cookieTimeout="60" defaultProvider="TaskRoleProvider" enabled="true">
			<providers>
				<add name="TaskRoleProvider" connectionStringName="eLocalize_ConnStr" applicationName="/" type="System.Web.Security.SqlRoleProvider"/>
			</providers>
		</roleManager>
		<!--SiteMap Provider-->
		<siteMap defaultProvider="XmlSiteMapProvider" enabled="true">
			<providers>
				<add name="XmlSiteMapProvider" description="Default SiteMap provider." type="System.Web.XmlSiteMapProvider" siteMapFile="web.sitemap" securityTrimmingEnabled="true"/>
			</providers>
		</siteMap>

0
yasserzaid
5/19/2008 9:15:18 PM

 Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. This still doesn't explain why the code was not generated via the web configuration manager. (as it should be?) It even states in the web.config that can I use that tool as an alternative to hand editing web.config. But that doesn't seem to be the case. If this code thats supposed to reside in the web.config is missing why does the app function properly? Where is it getting the code? Thanks again for the reply!

0
Beholder
5/19/2008 11:47:48 PM

Beholder:
why the code was not generated via the web configuration manager. (as it should be?)

Hi

Web Site Admin Tool will help you manage your site in users/roles, choose your provider and so on, However, at present, it's not able to modify any attribute of Membership provider, so you'd have to modify in Visual Web Developer manually as said by yasserzaid .

Best Regards
XiaoYong Dai
Microsoft Online Community Support

XiaoYong
5/20/2008 2:40:32 AM

 Okay, so in effect all it does is create the ASPNETDB.mdf and required tables, by default. And it handles everything needed to use this behind the scenes. So I if don't want to use the default data store then I must add, not edit, the membership provider code to the web.config. Cool, that's all I wanted to know. For some reason I wasn't catching on to that from the articles/tutorials I have read. Thanks a bunch and I really appreciate the info!

-James

0
Beholder

How do I merge web services' app.config with web app's web.config? Help!!
I have a web application project that uses a separate class library containing web service references (service layer). I want to be able to configure the web reference URLs dynamically and I know you can set this up by setting the URL behavior to  'Dynamic', etc, etc. The problem is VS2005 puts the URLs in the project's app.config file. When the class library becomes a DLL component, I have no way of accessing the app.config file.Is there a way to make the web reference project to look for the URLs in the web.config instead of its app.config? Or is there a way to merge this app.config w...

Forms Authentication, Custom Membership Provider, nested web.config, the nested app ==> Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'MyCompany.Security.FrameworkRoleProvider'.
Hi, I have written a custom membership provider for our application (which is in the root of the "default web site" in IIS). In the default-web-site web.config, I've specified the MyCustomMembership Provider and all works well (see below for snippet of web.config file). However, if I want to put another application is a (sub) virtual-directory to this main directory, then run the app in this virtual directory, I get the error: Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'MyCompany.Security.MyCustomMembershipProvider'.Source Error: Line 113: <provi...

Isolating web.config from it's parent web.config
I need to run an application withing a sub-directory of another application. Basically, I need to install an old version of DNN as a subdirectory of a current DNN2 installation. I get a problem of conflicting web.configs. The subdirectory want to use it's parent directory's web.config file. I thought by making the subdirectory an "application" in IIS that it would use the web.config in it's own folder but instead, it is referenceing the web.config file from it's parent. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. Thanks, Stef. Stef, Because of the hierarchical nat...

Typed DataSet's ConnectionString from site's Web.Config
Hi to all, how can we get from a Strong-Typed DataSet inside a Library Class the ConnectionString which is inside the site's web.config ?The connection string must be unique (one definition only in web.config).We'd like to avoid rewriting the same connection string for every library in their respective properties.settings.Thanks and Regards,Sergio  In a web application Library classes (DLLs) run in the same process as the main application and have access to the same configuration data as the main application.  So all you have to do is access the AppSetting or ConnectionS...

how to let the web.config in the sub-directory to NOT to inherited from Root's web.config.
Hi,all,   How to let the sub-directory to avoid the authentication control from Root's webconfig? I heard that we can add a new web.config to the sub-directory. And then we can slove the problem.   Virtual directory is :http://localhost/main   Sub-directory is : http://localhost/main/reminder   My application used the Forms Authentication, then all files in every directory is controlled by the Forms Authentication. But now i want a sub-directory to avoid this. (user can access this directory directly, Needn't to Login.)   In my application, the user can ac...

How to secure user's folder?in web.config
Hello  I have a list of user folder like /private/{USERNAME}/.....  I want to secure a user's folder so that only that authenticated user with the same name matched in the folder to access his/her own subfolders and deny other users. I have consider to have every users' subfolder to have one web.config with his name as a authorization rules but this willl creates alot of web.config file if thousands of users folder on the server. Is there a way to do this on the top level of the web.config file  rather than create every single on in the use...

Net security is everyone's problem not just Microsoft's, says Ballmer
Speaking at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington DC, Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer declared that responsibility for cybersecurity falls on everyone---users, software vendors, and government agencies. Mr. Ballmer did not outline any new security initiatives, but continued to promote the upcoming Windows XP Service Pack 2, an update to the company's server operating system, and future versions of Internet Explorer that will block pop-up ads and unauthorized downloads. Mr. Ballmer outlined active protection technology, designed to stop worms...

Problem in web service's web method's parameters.
Hello All,I am tring to consume a Java web service in ASP.NET(c#) application.In the web service, the web method 'checklogin' accepts 2 string parameters only, with return type a boolean variable. But, when I use that method in my ASP.NET application it shows me 4 parameters in the definition namely 2 string parameters(which should be there) and extra 2  boolean type OUT parameters. Out of these 2 extra OUT parameters, in the 1st parameter I get the return variable of the web method which I called/used and in the 2nd parameter, its showing nothing (means its showing default...

Web Crawlers Web.config and .Net Roles/Membership
 I have a subfolder in my asp.net 3.5 application that contains a Web.config file that only allows certain roles to access one of the pages. My question is whether or not web crawlers can index that page's content.http://www.geneangelo.com web crawlers crawl only on publicly accessible sites (as anonymous user)Patrick OliverosWeb Developer - Emerson Electric Asia, Ltd. - ROHQwebthinker.wordpress.com  Great, thanks a lot.http://www.geneangelo.com...

web.config
Problem: web.config is not loading variables? web.config file: <appSettings> <add key="Msg" value="Hi There!" /> </appSettings> ASP.NET Code: Response.Write (ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("Msg")) We get nothing in the output and no other information in the Web.Config file is available. No settings work either (authentication type for example). We probably have a simple setting wrong. Please help if possible! Thanks! Chad Is your <appSettings> element outside of <system.web>?Milan Negovan [...

(Noob's CMS problem) Method not found: 'System.Security.NamedPermissionSet System.Web.HttpRuntime.GetNamedPermissionSet()'.
Okay, I'm a total noob when it comes to ASP.net, and because I can't code on my own, I usually rely on pre-built CMSs (Content Management Systems) to make the website. I have tried at least 3 of these in IIS with ASP.NET 2.0, including AxCMS and DNN (Dot Net Nuke). All give the same error, Method not found: 'System.Security.NamedPermissionSet  System.Web.HttpRuntime.GetNamedPermissionSet()'. The screen ASP.NET gives me is as follows:Server Error in '/' Application. Method not found: 'System.Security.NamedPermissionSet System.Web.HttpRuntime.GetNamedPermissionSet()'. ...

WDP for VS2008 still doesn't allow web.config file section replacement of 'System.Net'
There were a series of posts on various blogs about the VS 2005 version of the WDP not allowing replacement of the 'System.Net' section. This was a rather significant oversight, in my opinion, as the three parts of web.config you would most likely want to replace would be appSettings for site specific attributes, connectionStrings for the proper database configuration, and System.Net to set up site-generated email. That being said, there was talk in the forums about fixing for the next release. Indeed, in the release notes for WDP for 2008 there was mention of fixes for config file u...

Membership.GetAllUsers(); Item has already been added. Key in dictionary: '' Key being added: ''
 Hi, I get the following error while trying to retrive all the users in AD,Item has already been added. Key in dictionary: ''  Key being added: ''  i presume this is because a user has somehow been duplicated in th AD and the collection has to be unique. is there any method which gets all unique users as i cannot seem to find one. Thanks, Ommer Check the exist property of AD before adding user. Shah Dharnendra GSr.Analyst Programmer,GTL-Ahmedabad  Hi, is that to actually check whether a user exists in AD before adding another user? Is t...

what's the difference in configing web.config with SQL Server and MSDE?
I always get mistakes alert. And how to install MS SQL Server 2000 to a windows server 2003, I encount incompatible problem.thanks...

Web resources about - membership not added to app's web.config - asp.net.security

Polish European Union membership referendum, 2003 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Drivers of Facebook Shuttle Buses Eye Teamsters Membership
Facebook and several other tech companies in Silicon Valley provide shuttle buses to transport their employees, and according to The New York ...

NJ Membership (@NJMembership) on Twitter

Membership Has Its Privileges
Right now, crossing one of the magical rep borders happens more or less unnoticed. People just gain the particular powers. Now, of course they ...

Membership Cards - a set on Flickr
... home Sign Up Explore Recent Photos The Commons Getty Collection Galleries World Map App Garden Camera Finder Flickr Blog Upload Sign In Membership ...

Calgary Public Library: New Look. New Library. Free Membership. - YouTube
CREATING THE WORLD’S BEST PUBLIC LIBRARY: NEW LOOK. NEW LIBRARY. FREE MEMBERSHIP. For Immediate Release: In a bold move to become the world’s ...

The benefits of private club membership in the UAE
Lifestyle membership clubs can offer cardholders exclusive leisure discounts across the Emirates. But there can be a big catch - you need to ...

New Brisbane Broncos CEO Paul White Flags Membership Drive
The coal executive taking over at the helm of the Brisbane Broncos has his eyes set on the thousands of fans who regularly turn up to home games ...

Joe Tripodi's ALP membership suspended
NSW ALP has suspended membership of Joe Tripodi amid a corruption inquiry.

Invite-only memberships expand at Canberra's sky-high lounge
... club &ndash; if they have been lucky enough to get an invite The 15th floor lounge billed as Canberra's most exclusive has quadrupled its membership ...