Is it possible to use Windows authentication for users hitting the web app from the internet?

We are developing a web app that is for company personnel only. Most users will access the app from within the organizations LAN but some users must use the internet to gain access. I have configured the app for windows authentication and everthing works fine when accessing the app when it resides on a test server which is co-located with the SQL server it is accessing. When I publish to the production server I get 403 errors when hitting a page that tries to access SQL server. I can retrieve active directory information just can't access the SQL server. I am using an admin account so permissions shouldn't be an issue. Is this even possible to do or do I need to use Forms authentication instead? Thanks for any help.

0
AkAlan

if some users must use internet to access, they'll have to login and you'll have to use form authentication.

Lynn

Please mark replies that have helped you as answers.
0
lberan

Is it possible to use Windows Athentication if some users are accessing the web app from the internet?
We are developing a web app that is strictly for company personnel. Most users will access the app from within the organizations LAN while some users must use the internet to gain access but all will have an Active Directory account. There will be no anonymous users. The site will be accessed via SSL and be restricted by IP address for those accessing from the internet. I have been researching for a few days but I keep seeing conflicting info. I check if this helps: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms972958.aspx there is downloadable code too.../GuruBhai Thanks, I am v...

is it possible to use windows authentication for internet users
I want an asp.net site which is used by the intranet users and provide the same windows authentication when accessed through internet.  ie for eg create some windows account on our windows domain and then provide it to some remote users and  make the site hosted in iis and make it available to the internet 1)will the remote users be able to login to my site using this account and windows authentication 2)if no what are the other possible solutions so that allowed users are only be able to login 3)do i need to provide ssl over https even if we use windows authentication Hi ...

How to use a web user control from one web app in another web app?
I have a production web app project (at work) that has custom web user controls in it.I have another web app project for experimenting and I want to use some web controls from the production web app. The big trick is that I need to load the controls dynamically.LoadControl() doesn't seem to work - it complains about loading controls from a different application. I also tried adding a project reference to the production web app and using "UC1 newUC = new UC1();" and then "this.Controls.Add(newUC);", but the controls (like TextBoxes) on the web user control don't seem to exist on the new UC1s....

using integrated windows..invoking a webmethod using the app pool credentials NOT the authenticated users credentials.
I have a dillema and I am unsure how to accomplish what I am needing.  I have successfully configured a web service running under a specific user account to use windows integrated authentication.   The keys to accomplishing this lie in three steps.. 1. creating the app pool account and getting it registered in iis with the iis_wpg group.. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998297.aspx   2. Setting the authentication to use NTLM instead of kerboros (otherwise it wont allow integrated windows authentication) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/871179   and Fina...

web user authentication using Net::LDAP
------=_Part_2783_15526396.1126273227831 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline I would like to use Net::LDAP module to authenticate web user against activ= e=20 directory.=20 I have done the following steps. a) Created the LDAP connection=20 b) Bind the LDAP using admin user id and password.=20 But I dont know how to authenticate the web user who uses the login page=20 (user id and password) against active directory. Please advise.=20 =20 --=20 "Swallow your pride occasionally, and console you...

RE: web user authentication using Net::LDAP
Do a bind with their user ID and password perhaps?=20 -----Original Message----- From: Prabu Uthirapathi [mailto:prabulinc@gmail.com]=20 Sent: Friday, September 09, 2005 8:40 AM To: perl-ldap@perl.org Subject: web user authentication using Net::LDAP I would like to use Net::LDAP module to authenticate web user against active directory.=20 I have done the following steps. a) Created the LDAP connection b) Bind the LDAP using admin user id and password.=20 But I dont know how to authenticate the web user who uses the login page (user id and password) against active directory. P...

How to expose Windows secured web services to the internet user?
Hi all, I am working on a Windows forms application that is accessing its business logic methods through web services (in a SOA based architecture). These web services are configured to be accessed ONLY by windows integrated security and this is working fine since the client app is a windows forms applicatin that is being used by users in the same domain. NOW, I want to develop a web interface for some of the features available in that windows app so that users can file their information online. I want to do all the website's work through the same set of web services used by t...

An operations error occurred when using windows authentication in my web app against AD.
HI, I really need someones help here. I have a web app with Anonumous enabled and a domain user that runson behalf of the application against Active Directory and sql server. Now i have to change that to Windows Authentication. so what iv done is:1. I have eneabled windows authentication, 2. using <identity impersonate="true"/> 3. using <authentication mode="Windows">4. using <deny users="?"/> and <allow users="*"/> If i run the published web app on my dev pc logged in as "vader" evrything is ok.But when i go ...

How to use Indy 10 to POST to a web app with IIS Windows Authentication?
Hello I´m having a hard time to POST a form to a web application that is configured in IIS to use Windows Authentication. The component is *TIdHTTP*. The client application is running under an already authenticated account. When I try to POST using a web browser (Chrome in my tests) it all works, but when I run my application (written with Delphi XE and Indy 10) I allways receive the standard page from IIS, stating I´m not authorized to access that URL. I already provided my user credentials (user name and domain password) in the *TIdHTTP.OnAuthentication* event, but it seem...

Authenticate user using LDAP windows 2003 server Web Edition
Web edition cannot be a domain controller.  I've created local user account on the 2003 web edition server.  Is there a way to setup web based authentication against these user accounts?  Anyone ever done this?Mark this post as the "Answer" if it was the answer....

I authenticate my app by using forms but cannot get security from history in internet explorer
I authenticate my app by using forms but cannot get security from history in internet explorer .if i click on history then all previous pages are opened if till  i not closing my browser window. Give your ASPNET account access to that folder.Mikael Söderström...

question about authentication timeout if user is not using the web app for a certain time
Hello guys, Is there any event wherein I can process a logout if let's say the user session times out? So, the user needs to log-in again. I am registering a audit login history in my database. so i need to log him out, if the user session timesout. Thanks. ...

Access data using web service from a Dot Net windows user control
Hi, I have a Windows Control Library and many UserControls in them. I added the output .DLL to another web project. I have put the dll in the root folder of the website. Now, in my .aspx pages I will declare <object> as follows. <object id="some id" name="some name" classid="some.dll#namespace.usercontrol name" width="578" height="404">    <param name="DAWebServiceUrl" value="<%=DAWebServiceUrl%>" /></object> This works fine if the url of the website has LOCALHOST. If I use t...

Web resources about - Is it possible to use Windows authentication for users hitting the web app from the internet? - asp.net.security

New Tools to Optimize App Authentication
At f8, we announced a redesigned Auth Dialog and a new authentication flow to give developers more control over people’s first experience with ...

Facebook Tells Some Developers They Have 48 Hours to Fix Authentication Data Leaks
... sent an email to what it calls a “very small percentage of the developer community” informing them their apps are suspected of leaking authentication ...

Sony Authentication Power Outlet Recognizes Users and Devices #DigInfo - YouTube
Sony Authentication Power Outlet Recognizes Users and Devices DigInfo TV - http://diginfo.tv 9/3/2012 NFC & Smart WORLD 2012 Sony Authentication ...

Online account security: lazy authentication is still the norm
Even in the high-tech world of 2016, crims will be able to side-step your account security by making a phone call and saying they're you.

ATO boosts service access via app and voice authentication
The ATO has announced it will extend its voice authentication system to its mobile app