How do I get the logged in user's name with windows authentication?

I have windows authentication turned on at the web server level so that it prompts for a password when the site is accessed.  How do I get the username that is currently logged in?

I tried using User.Identity.Name but It's just returning an empty string.
2
kenp2600

WINDOWS AUTHENTICATION
Hello ,I am Using windows authentication in my asp.net application. I want to know a way to get the Windows users , Group name who is logged in to my application .I mean I want to know user's group name so that role can be implimented for that group user in my asp.net application.  Thanks & Regards.Harish Patel.If you are not sure better ASK.. Because wrong guesses are COSTLY.. !!  --Harish Patel www.MicrosoftSQLandASP.netpatelharish@gmail.com I Tried with the Method Below but it does not work and give error as mentioned below : Dim test As Booleantest = User.IsInRole("G...

Displaying a User's Name with Windows Authentication?
I am looking to display a proper name at the top of our Intranet Site. We are currently using Windows Authentication. Right now I use the line. labelUserName.text=User.Identity.FirstName but as many of you know, it displays <domain Name>/<UserID> Is there a way to pull the users first name and last name from Windows authentication so it would display <firstname> <lastname> Thank You Hi, To do this, you're going to have to hit the domain server, unfortunately, that info isn't available in the users credentials. I don't have code that'll do that, ...

Getting authenticated user's full name
I am trying to get the authenticated (windows authentication) user's full name and to do so I assume I need to get it ou of AD. All I have is there username from "System.Web.HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.Name".  From this I need to get their AD entry. Is it possible to do so without all there server / LDAP information?  When you machine boots, it knows where to look for authentication by default and that is the information I want to use as well so I don't want to have to define those details. So simply put I have a username and that it and I want to query AD.  I do...

getting the current user name that's logged in through the vpn.
I have a question. I was wonder is it possible to get the username of the person that is logged in through the vpn? right now the client uses cisco client to connect to our network. after they are connected the user connects to our citrix server where they input the user name and password for the network. now then if they go to my website it prompts them again for there user credaintals. I do not want this. I have IIS setup to not allow anonymous access to the page. my web.config file is set to windows authentication. sounds like a security issue, I'd re-post to the security for...

How to get windows log-in user name using vb.net code?
Hi, I built an asp.net web application on our companies HR system so that recruitors can post jobs. Is there a way to get the windows logged in user name using vb.net code? This user name is using for tracking who posted the job. Thank you.   Windows Authentication provides some options, as does forms authentication.  See if you get what you need through User.Identity.Name.  Take a look at: http://www.15seconds.com/issue/020220.htmhttp://aspnet.4guysfromrolla.com/articles/120705-1.aspx JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the p...

Getting Windows User's Login and Domain while using Forms Authentication
I am using Forms Authentication, in an intranet application for reasons not worth getting in to. I have left anonymous off and kept Windows Integrated Security on. Is there a way for me to get the user's windows login and domain. I have tried using Environment and Thread.CurrentPrincipal.Identity to retrieve this information but no luck. Any information will help. Thanks!!! cceccanti User.Identity.Name should work...Starting with ASP.NET 2.0? Look at:Programming Microsoft Web Forms My Blog Unfortunetly this does not work when you have. <authentication mode="Forms&quo...

get user's windows login name "SAMaccount" and compare with Active Directory cn, roles...
OK, This one has been plaguing me for this entire day. Here is the background info. I know how to query Active directory, but I need to get the windows login name to use with the searchfilter in AD. My site has annonymous access checked in IIS. Before anyone says to uncheck this...it is a requirement to have it checked. If a user who is not on our domian (in Active Directoyr) navigates to any page in my web app, they will be redirected to Login.aspx. I have been using WindowsIdentity and User.Identity.Name. I just cannot get the login name! I have gotten the asp.net maching name listed in...

Getting first name and last name from Windows logged in user
 I'm sure there must be an easy way of getting the actual first name and last name from an Windows domain\username via the Windows Identity or Principal object, but I can't seem to figure it out. Does anyone have any examples of this? try this: HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.Name  Thanks - tried that...it returns nothing or domain\loginName :( Please check that on the site properties window (in IIS Admin console), in the security tab, click on the modify or edit button in the authentication and anonymous access group and make sure only the "Windows Inte...

Why can't I get a User's Name?

Open file in browser or application getting the page's name as the file's name
Hi, I'm am trying to get a file to open in either a browser or application depending on the mime type. I'am using the following code in the page load. protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e){ if (!IsPostBack)    { DocumentInfo document = (DocumentInfo)Session["View_Document"]; StreamFile(document.Document, document.DocumentName, document.FileType.MimeType); } } }private void StreamFile(byte[] fileData, string originalFileName, string mimeType) { try { Response.Clear(); Response.ContentType = mimeType; Response.AddHeader("Con...

Open user's page based on windows user login name
I have a app will display user pay check information. Is it possible to open user's his/her page based on Windows login name? Not quite sure what you are asking.  You have the authenticated user's name in Context.User.Identity.Name, but you need to do something based on it or something else to determine where to go.Ryan DunnWeblog The BookLDAP Programming Help...

Getting the logged in NT ID without using authentication type='Windows'
I am using forms authentication.  How can I find out the user id logged into NT without switching to Windows authentication? Thanks! You can't. The browser first tries an anonymous connection and if anon browsing is off, IIS will ask the browser to authenticate using integrated security. If that fails it tries basic authentication. If that fails no access is given. IIS only knows who is logged in once they authenticate. If you have anon access on there has been no authentication so IIS doesn't know who you are. Request.LogonUserIdentity.Name gives the user name the IIS is ...

LoginStatus control sees user's Windows account name and not application login name
I am upgrading a web site developed using VWDX 2005 on a machine using Windows XP.  The machine I have now is loaded with Vista and I have VWDX 2008. In the default.aspx page, the loginstatus control sees the computer user's windows account and thinks the user is logged in and as such, will only display the logout message and redirect to a logout page. I have added a login status control to display the login name<asp:LoginName id="LoginName2" runat="server" FormatString ="Welcome, {0}" /> The result shows the computer name/login name If I g...

How to get domain user's first name, last name and e-mail address
Hi everyone, I am able to retrieve the domain/user ID by setting <authentication mode="Windows"/> in the Web.config file, and with the following code in my Default.aspx.,cs page: string strName = Request.ServerVariables["AUTH_USER"]; I would also like to retrieve the users first name, last name and e-mail address from their domain profile, if possible.  Can anyone help me with a code example?  I'm somewhat new to C#/.NET/OOP so if you have it in "C# for Dummies" format, I would be very thankful! Thanks in advance for any help that i...

Web resources about - How do I get the logged in user's name with windows authentication? - asp.net.security

New Tools to Optimize App Authentication
At f8, we announced a redesigned Auth Dialog and a new authentication flow to give developers more control over people’s first experience with ...

Facebook Tells Some Developers They Have 48 Hours to Fix Authentication Data Leaks
... sent an email to what it calls a “very small percentage of the developer community” informing them their apps are suspected of leaking authentication ...

Sony Authentication Power Outlet Recognizes Users and Devices #DigInfo - YouTube
Sony Authentication Power Outlet Recognizes Users and Devices DigInfo TV - http://diginfo.tv 9/3/2012 NFC & Smart WORLD 2012 Sony Authentication ...

Two-factor authentication - cyber security -
Two recent hacking cases highlight how personal emails can impact overall business security through tiny weaknesses.

ATO boosts service access via app and voice authentication
The ATO has announced it will extend its voice authentication system to its mobile app