consuming WCF services from .net 1.1 clients securely

I am developing some services in WCF that will need to be .net 1.1 compatible. These services will be public on the internet, but should be accessible to authenticated user only.

I am just starting on this, and so far the only solution i see, would be to expose the services as basic http binding, through a SSL channel, and collect authentication information such as username/password in clear text inside of the soap header.

Em I on the right track ? Are there features in WCF i can leverage for this other than manually check for this information in the header.. perhaps i could use the security tokens and than construct them manually from 1.1 ( there is no WSE installed on clients either ).

Persisting session:

I am not yet clear if I will need to authenticate each service method call, or if  a token will be created and passed back to the client to be used for duration of the session in similar fashion as asp.net.

any feedback would be appreciated.

- Lindsay Lohan
0
rbuch

 some progress...

i may be mistaken, but according to some random sources on the net, it may be possible to use basicHttpBinding along with transport level security, and client credentialtype: Basic with the following configuration

      <basicHttpBinding>
        <binding name="Binding1">
          <security mode="Transport">
            <transport clientCredentialType="Basic"/>
          </security>
        </binding>
      </basicHttpBinding>

the question is.. how can i append basic http authentication credentials understandable by wcf from .net 1.1 web service call ?

i've tried:

            System.Net.ICredentials cred = new System.Net.NetworkCredential("user", "pass", null);
            proxy.Credentials = cred;

but i am not yet sure how to retrieve this on the WCF server side...

again the key here is that i am calling it from framework ver 1.1  web service.

- Lindsay Lohan
0
rbuch
5/23/2007 7:18:10 PM

Hi

We strongly recommend you upgrade .NET Framework 3.0 to gained full use/advantage of WCF, meanwhile, you'll get a comprehensive source of information on these techniques.

The Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) security has three common security modes that are found on most predefined bindings: transport, message, and "transport with message credential."A WSE 2.0 client can easily interoperate with a WCF service with username tokens for authentication. A Username token is just like using basic HTTP authentication, except that the token is within the SOAP message headers.You can set the username and password in a WSE client to communicate with a HTTPS-enabled WCF service.

Here some code sample demonstrates

How to pass a client Credential use Proxy

http://blogs.msdn.com/sonuarora/archive/2007/04/21/setting-client-credentials.aspx

How to Transport Security with Basic Authentication

Hope it helps

Best Regards
XiaoYong Dai
Microsoft Online Community Support

XiaoYong
5/24/2007 8:20:57 AM

thanks but its not like im supporting 1.1 because i prefer it to WCF.  for applications that run on client machines its not so convenient to ask them to download a 25 mb framework upgrade to use our services.. some of them might not be on a fast connection, and it requires administrative rigths to install which some of them will not have

as my message states.. i am looking to make it work with 1.1 before making such drastic upgrades.

i have some ideas how to do it... will be testing them today

thanks

- Lindsay Lohan
0
rbuch

WS-Security with VS.NET 2005 Web Service and .NET 1.1 Client
We ship a webservices client piece into the field which is required to run on the .NET 1.1 version of the framework, this is defined by our business people and cannot change. We would like to work with .NET 2.0 in VS.NET 2005 for the backend Web Service piece. We are able to get the 2 to communicate fine and it is not a problem. The issue now is that we need to introduce security through WS-Security. I have not been able to find much information about interop between the 2 environments and WS-Security and cannot get the security elements to be invoked in VS.NET 2005. Currently we are trying ...

Issue with clients consuming a web service that was upgraded from .NET 1.1 to .NET 3.5
I am currently working with an application that was converted from Visual Studio 2003 to Visual Studio 2008 and we are having issues with a client consuming the web service portion of the application.  The web services were written in .NET 1.1 using the Web Services Enhancements 2.0 and was upgraded to use the .NET 3.5 framework.  One of our clients application, which is still written in .NET 1.1 was reference the upgraded web service and tried to consume the web service and received the following error: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Se...

.Net 1.1 security question.
I think this might be odd to ask this quetion while microsoft has already released the .Net 3.0. But I've no other option. If I don't ask I'll never know. So, here is my question. I'm experimenting with role based authorization with Form authentication in .Net 1.1. I cann't understand one behaviour. When I log in and go to the desired page and then I closed the browser without loggged out and again I reopen the brower and try to access the same page, it does not ask for password. But after waiting for say 2 to 3 minutes if I open the browser and try to access the page, it redirects me to ...

Consume secure .NET Web Service with PB 10.5.1
Hi, I need your help. How could I consume a .NET Web Service thru SSL with domain\login and password? Where could I find an example? Claudy check the help of SetOptions method (SoapConnection) in PB. On this page you will get details of all other option like SetBasicAuthentication � SetClientCertificateFile � SetTimeout � UseIntegratedWindowsAuthentication � RemoveAuthentication For EasySoap Web services, you can use the following methods to replace the SetOptions method: � SetSoapLogFile � SetTimeout � UseConnectionCache <C> wrote in messag...

.net 1.1 security fix 928366
Last tuesday's fixes contained SP1 for framework 1.1 (KB928366). It seemed to install OK but shortly after reboot the notification for availabiliy of this fix popped up again. Tried download and installation again, same result. So I manually downloaded the fix NDP1.1sp1-kb928366- x86.exe. Execution of this fix did nothing either. So I tried to reinstall the complete 1.1 package which I downloaded again. Installation did not succeed because framework was already installed and would have to be uninstalled first. Uninstallation of the software did not work either because I do n...

Problems implementing role security (.Net 1.1)
I'm having a problem implementing role based security.  Here's my code:   Sub Application_AuthenticateRequest(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs) ' Fires upon attempting to authenticate the use If Not HttpContext.Current.User Is DBNull.Value Then If HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.AuthenticationType = "Forms" Then Dim id As Web.Security.FormsIdentity = CType(HttpContext.Current.User.Identity, Web.Security.FormsIdentity) Dim ticket As Web.Security.FormsAuthenticationTicket = id.Ticket Dim userData As String = ticket.User...

.NET 1.0 books and .NET 1.1 books. Does it matter ??
Hello, I want to buy a book that is good to learn asp.net. I have seen some good books on ASP.NET in the book store, but some of them are for .NET 1.0 and not the current 1.1. Does it make that big of a difference if the asp.net book is 1.0 and not 1.1 ???? Someone please help me as I have to do quite a bit of driving to go review and purchase a book. I need to leave in about an hour so if someone know the answer, please respond, asap. Sincerely, Amy Daynou Amy- The changes are small enough that you won't see much, if any difference. This doesn't apply as much if you're ...

best method to migrate from .net 1.0 to .net 1.1
hi, i have windows xp pro running iis 5.1. i have an intranet site running under iis. i made this site using VS.NET 2002 under .NET framework 1.0.3705. Now i want to upgrade me .NET frame work to version 1.1. , but i still want to use VS.NET 2002 for programming and maintaining the site. How do i do this without the upgrade affecting my already deployed website. A step by step procedure to migrate from version 1.0.3705 to version 1.1 would be quite helpful. Thanks in advance, Raja. Hi, There is an article on this, right on this site. Check this Hope it hel...

best practices to migrate from .net 1.0 to .net 1.1
hi, i have windows xp pro running iis 5.1. i have an intranet site running under iis. i made this site using VS.NET 2002 under .NET framework 1.0.3705. Now i want to upgrade me .NET frame work to version 1.1. , but i still want to use VS.NET 2002 for programming and maintaining the site. How do i do this without the upgrade affecting my already deployed website. A step by step procedure to migrate from version 1.0.3705 to version 1.1 would be quite helpful. Thanks in advance, Raja. Well, at least take a look at this doc about running v1.0 and 1.1 side-by-side h...

Web resources about - consuming WCF services from .net 1.1 clients securely - asp.net.security

Tumblr : How do teenagers waste hours upon hours consuming Tumblr?
Answer (1 of 6): I am a teenager and also have a fascination with Tumblr. I will try my best to explain this from our perspective as teens. This ...

Are You Consuming Your Coffee Correctly? - YouTube
Have you been doing it wrong? The Scientific Smell Challenge: https://youtu.be/bI5HEl3u848 SUBSCRIBE (it's free!): http://bit.ly/asapsci GET ...

Briton sentenced to four years for consuming hashish in Dubai
... to having 6.4 grams of the drug for his personal use and he will be deported after serving his sentence. DUBAI // A Briton charged with consuming ...

Eating meat is hurting the environment - stop consuming so much, top US nutritional panel says
The country's foremost nutrition advisory panel is taking a stand against meat: Americans should eat less of it, top experts say, in order to ...

Teen love shown to be most consuming
BACK in 1965, Cat Stevens wrote The First Cut is the Deepest. It turns out he was right. New research from a joint American and Australian study ...

Food morality shouldn't be all consuming
I've spent my life with food fads. Now, though, such fads carry astonishing levels of unearned holier-than-thouness.

The all-consuming market for markets
The all-consuming market for markets

Canadians consuming sky-high amounts of sodium, study finds
Canadians are consuming potentially dangerous amounts of sodium and Ottawa must take action to limit those levels, a leading expert on heart ...

13 Causes Of Insomnia, From Work Stress To What You're Consuming
After a long day, the only thing you want to do is crawl into bed for a good night's rest. Unfortunately, for 3.3 million Canadians, that isn't ...

Consuming Walker - AdPulp - AdPulp
It’s Sunday, which means it time to open The New York Times Magazine and read “Consumed,” the weekly column by Rob Walker. Today’s piece is about ...