Allowing users to view other users profiles

 Iv created a basic social networking site Using the built in membership roles provider and its working great. So far users can signup and create a profile, login edit their profile and upload an avatar. Also close their account and view a list of all site members.

 But the one thing Iv not firgured out yet is how to allow users to view the profiles of other users. What I want to do is have a the usernames in the userlist display link to the the profile of the particular user. Now I assume I will have to send the username in the query string to the profile page but how do I extract users profile fields to display in profile page. ? I assume is something to do with ProfileCommon ?

the addtional profile fields are:

 <properties>
        <add name="ProfileTitle" type="string"/>
        <add name="AvatarPath" type="string"/>
        <add name="Gender" type="string"/>
        <add name="DOB" type="DateTime" serializeAs="Xml" />
        <add name="Course" type="string"/>
        <add name="YearOfStudy" type="Int32"/>
        <add name="PreviousQualifications" type="string"/>
        <add name="AboutMe" type="string"/>
        <add name="HobbiesAndInterests" type="string"/>
      </properties>

How do I use profilecommon to extract these?

cheers..

0
andy91

You can access them through

ProfileCommon profileCommon = (ProfileCommon)context.Profile;
profileCommon =profileCommon.GetProfile("OtherUserName");
context.Response.Write(profileCommon.ProfileTitle);

Hosam Kamel

Remember to click on Mark as answer on the post that helped you
0
HosamKamel

Allow users to view profiles
 I'm working with visual studio 2005 and i'm working on a social network but i'm stuck.I am trying to make it so other users can view other users profile, i was told i could do it through a query string, i have a page called profile.aspx and this is what i did.I dragged a gridview onto the show_members.aspx page along with a SQLdatasourceI configured the gridview to the ASPNET.MDF database.I than created a hyperlink field into the gridview so users can click the username and view their profilehttp://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i195/tazangelpa/Jasons%20Photos/?action=view&...

Single Users Profile and All Users Profiles List
I've made a discussion forum. And I have also installed simply asp.net membership. Now I want after click on user link to redirect to the page with User's info.I have simply user "John" and user "Bob" and everyone can click on those names and will see page with informations stored in Profile (Like Profile.Name, Profile.Address). I have three simply question:1. How to show profile values of other User ? Like I wrote above.2. How to list all users with for example their e-mails ? I mean: UserLogin - UserName - UserMail3. Or the easier way is to make new table with those all information an...

view Calendar of other user (muti-user calendar view)
I am looking for a way to view other user's calendar. I understand that I can do this with Multi-user Calendar. However, it allows me to view in "Day" only. Is there any way to see other's calendar in different format such as Weeks, months, etc.? -- anlong ------------------------------------------------------------------------ * anlong, you sure? IIRC you can set different views even in the multiuser calendar. Open the external calendar window and proxy into the other user's account from there. Uwe -- Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP) ...

User and User Profile Storage
How would you handle these situations? 1st Situation Storing user and user's profile information in the database. I have two ideas to handle this. #1) Store all the users information in one table #2) Store only the information needed to login the user in the user table, and have a userProfile table to store the rest of the user's profile information. Why? #1) Easy to build queries for, but will cause more overhead when the user is simply logging in. However, it will cause a lower overhead when looking up a user's profile information, as there will be no need to do table jo...

User Wordlist in User-Profile
high i saw in the TID10080800 that it is possible to point the User Word-List in example to a network drive like H:\\WT61US.UWL. how can i point it to the Userprofile like C:\Document and Setting\%USER%\\WT61US.UWL so it is copied to the server everytime the user logs out, but it is local for the notebook user's ? i dont now how to set it in the registry, that it point to the User-Profile. thanks Sascha Sascha, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has you...

Accessing Profile of users other than current user.
I want to access profile of other users. I want to allow my members to visit other members profile. I am not going to disply the senstive information. The default sql profile provider access to profile of current user only. Hi you need to use the getProfile function as follows:ProfileCommon UserProfile = Profile.GetProfile(UserName); UserProfile.PropertyName1=....   Please read this related thread : http://forums.asp.net/p/1243638/2279740.aspx   Regards,Regards,Anas Ghanem.Note:Please Don't hesitate to click "Report Abuse" link if you noticed something wron...

user table/user profile ques
hi i have my own user table with user profiles, password etc...how to merge it with the dnn user table... is there any way. i am confused as it seems i wil have to create 100's of user in order to make dnn fucntioning for al the usersany inputs on this?thanks somebody must have faced some issues ref the same?/// anyone has any idea..   pls suggest i am stil looking for any info /feedback if anyone can giveit will be a big helpthanks In general, it is possible in DNN3 by writing your own membership provider, replacing the original Microsoft membership provider, that is used as a...

Retrieving User profile values for all users.
Hi, I had a search but could not find the answer to this question.  I am wanting to be able to retrieve all the individual profile values for every user and then show their first and last name in a drop down list so that I can select the name (value will be username).  I thought of gathering all the usernames in a datareader, then looping through each username and add the user profiles to a dataset, but how do I get the user profile values? I have found how to get the profile values for individual users when they have logged in using the ProfileBase =  HttpContext.Current.Pr...

allow one user and deny all other users
 Hi, I have one question regarding web.config file in my asp.net application. Inside web.config I have this part of the code:  <system.web>      <authorization>        <allow roles="mynet\administrator"/>        <allow users="john.frey@mynet.com"/>        <deny users="*"/>      </authorization>    </system.web> I don't know w...

Modify User Information / User Profile
I have been rooting around looking for the answer... with no luck... I want to modify the User Information / User Profile collected, for example delete MSN, AIM and Yahoo and add City, State and Zip. Where is this? Is it right in front of my nose? Thanks in advance, (again). The table in the DB is the Community_Users table. You will have to either extend this table, or create a new table using a foreign key relationship to the users table to hold your new fields. You probably don't need to mod any stored proc though since the profile procedures use select * (bad design, but ...

Allow User to change other users passwords
What do I need to do in order to give a user the ability to change other users passwords and not have any other admin rights? Mike Finnegan wrote: > What do I need to do in order to give a user the ability to change other > users passwords and not have any other admin rights? You can use the password management acl. See http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10015319.htm for the idea in general although it is written for nw5, -- -andy Andy Thompson (SysOp) wrote: > Mike Finnegan wrote: > >> What do I need to do in order to give a...

User Profiles
Hi Whats the best way for uploading photos? Is there a DNN control or standard? I need to store a photo against a user for my UserData - User Profiles module (see dumbTV for 90% finished version - click on any username to see the details - some of them have photos already from my old site, but theirs no way to maintain them currently). I really don't want to have to code this all again and I was hoping this would be in a control already I could just add to my form? And also, how/where should I store it? Under PortalID\Profiles\UserID? Or do I dump them all into the root (I know in ...

Users customise their profile page for all users
Hi there I am a bit of a newbie to ASP.NET.  All my web development experience before has been with good old asp pages! So anyways here's what I was wondering.  I have a page called ViewProfile which displays the information about a particular user.  The information is pulled from a users table stored in SQL server.  The user profile displayed is determined by the id parameter passed in the url (for example - ViewProfile.aspx?id=123).  This allows other users of the system to see another users profile (the appropriate links etc are on the pages). Now here'...

manage default user profile for all users
We're are halfway through a rollout of all new machines (W2K SP3). I just discovered that you can change the default user profile to a custom one by copying over the default user profile in W2k. This could save me tons of time, as it takes care of all the nitpicky stuff (IE6, Office 2k, media player, etc) that one has to setup for each user. Unfortunately, we've already ghosted our machines with the standard default user profile (and I'm not planning on going back and reloading a custom profile on each machine). My question is this. Is it possible using z...

Web resources about - Allowing users to view other users profiles - asp.net.security

Facebook Allowing Mobile App Users To Act As Pages, Without Using Pages Manager?
Facebook appears to be migrating more of the functionality from its Pages Manager applications into its flagship mobile apps. continued… New ...

Facebook makes major mobile play by allowing its data to be used to target ads on some mobile sites and ...
Facebook today begins a test allowing its unique targeting data to be used for mobile advertising in third-party apps and sites, according to ...

NRA defends allowing people on no-fly lists to buy guns - YouTube
Thousands on the government's terrorist watch list, which includes the “no-fly list," bought firearms in the last decade. All of those sales ...

Gun range operator regrets allowing nine-year-old girl to shoot
The manager of a shooting range in the US where a nine-year-old girl accidentally shot and killed her instructor says he regrets allowing the ...

Australia has 'nothing to fear' from allowing same-sex marriage: Penny Wong debates Cory Bernardi
It was billed as a showdown between two of Parliament's biggest warriors in the same-sex marriage debate. In the left corner was Penny Wong. ...

This Sydney Pub Is Allowing People To Pay For Beer With Bitcoins
The Old Fitzroy in Sydney’s eastern suburb of Woolloomooloo will begin accepting Bitcoins as of next Sunday.

NSW considers allowing couples to advertise for surrogates
Attorney-General Gabrielle Upton determined to improve laws around surrogacy.

Google and Lego join forces to create Build allowing users to build 3D Lego creations on a Google Map ...
LEGO and Google Chrome have joined forces to create the largest Lego set the world has ever seen online on a Google map.

Brighton Rotary to vote on allowing women to join club - HeraldSun Search Search
AN ELITE Bayside club is considering allowing women to join its ranks for the first time in its 43-year history.

HBO signs Apple TV deal allowing greater access to Game of Thrones
A wedding between Apple and HBO may 'reinvent the way you watch television' for US watchers, but for Australians it may also reinvent how they ...