Adding new tables and fields to ASPNETDB and create new user wizard

I'm trying to add a new table and some fields like FirstName and LastName the the aspnetdb.mdb,  so when my users register I can collect that information also.  I have managed to create a 2nd table with UserID, firstname and lastname.  I can get the unique userid to work in my new table but the firstname and lastname fields give me the error message below.  I have modified the stored procedure aspnet_Membership_CreateUser to add in firstname and lastname.  I have also created a view as with the other tables in the database.  What am I missing?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Server Error in '/website' Application. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Procedure or Function 'aspnet_Membership_CreateUser' expects parameter '@FirstName', which was not supplied.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Procedure or Function 'aspnet_Membership_CreateUser' expects parameter '@FirstName', which was not supplied.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:
[SqlException (0x80131904): Procedure or Function 'aspnet_Membership_CreateUser' expects parameter '@FirstName', which was not supplied.] System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +786210 System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +684822 System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +207 System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +1751 System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.ConsumeMetaData() +37 System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData() +58 System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString) +213 System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async) +570 System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result) +134 System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method) +32 System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteScalar() +137 System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.CreateUser(String username, String password, String email, String passwordQuestion, String passwordAnswer, Boolean isApproved, Object providerUserKey, MembershipCreateStatus& status) +3283 System.Web.UI.WebControls.CreateUserWizard.AttemptCreateUser() +335 System.Web.UI.WebControls.CreateUserWizard.OnNextButtonClick(WizardNavigationEventArgs e) +159 System.Web.UI.WebControls.Wizard.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e) +637 System.Web.UI.WebControls.CreateUserWizard.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e) +171 System.Web.UI.WebControls.WizardChildTable.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) +39 System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) +56 System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnCommand(CommandEventArgs e) +107 System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +164 System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +31 System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +32 System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +72 System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3871
0
Alias2937

When implementing membership it is suggested you use the default fields supplied in the membership table.  For other data such as FirstName, LastName, Address...  the recommended method is to utilize the Personalization aspects of 2.0.

Try looking at this quickstart tutorial http://beta.asp.net/QUICKSTART/aspnet/doc/profile/default.aspx

hth,
Aaron
I find that the harder I work the more luck I seem to have.
0
akibbie
9/21/2005 7:06:33 PM
I'm not sure that's what I want.  I want to be able to change the data and run reports against it.  I have a lot of fields to track maybe 20 or so and profiles seem ok for simple things but I have to ask myself do I really want to store this info in a profile that I can't open up and do queries against like a database?    It just doesn't make sense to me, but I could be wrong as I am not a veteran programmer.  What I really want  is to tie the userid create by the registration to my own databases so that I can build apon that.  Any ideas on how to do this?  I guess I am hoping there is a simple way to do this without writting alot of code.

0
Alias2937
9/22/2005 1:40:49 AM

I ran into the same issue in regards to using the profile table.  Such being the case I did my own collection of profile information.  However I left the membership portion alone.  Reason: Because then I could leverage the standard API in the future for all my membership needs.

For profiling I put together a table reflecting the data I wanted and used my own persisted object and the new ObjectDataSource object to manage databinding and such...  Just like how we had to in 1.1 except it is easier to bind objects (dropDowns, dataViews, etc) now with the ObjectDataSouce.

Something else I tried was to make my own custum profile object which inherited from the ProfileProvider class...  That was a bit of an undertaking that I don't believe I will do again until I write a generator to do it for me.

Though I know I didn't supply you a solution I hope these suggestions help,
Aaron

I find that the harder I work the more luck I seem to have.
0
akibbie

Retrieving the new user ID after details have been created with Create New User Wizard
I've got a 'create new user' wizard set up with several additional wizard pages containing extra information. This information will be stored into the database when the CreatedUser event fires. However, I need to obtain the user ID of the newly created user. How can this be achieved? Assuming the user id is an Identity field that is generated in SQL, I would return the user id as an output parameter in your stored procedure and reference that parameter in your ASP.NET code.   I believe the code to get the identity value of a newly added record is: SELECT @myoutputp...

Creating new tables for new users
hi all,   How can i create a new data table automatically for new users signing into the website.......what i mean here is that i have a predefined database table and i want that users signing in can have that table for them unique , so that they can fill data for themselves and that data will be visible to all just like forums   Hello Pankaj, You can instantiate a new DataTable in the session where the user can modify his data. But another possibility is to add a column like userid or username to the predefined table and write business logic that allows the user t...

Adding a new row to a table for each new user
I have a table using SQL server, which has 4 fields DetailsID - int UserID linked to the UserID in aspnet_users table FirstName Surname I would like to automatically add a line into this table when a new user is created, so that the table can be updated by the user, with an edit only DetailView.  Could someone tell me how to automatically add a new row to a table, when a new user is created? Thanks in advance How are you creating a new user?  If you are using the CreateUserWizard to create a new user, then you can use the CreatedUser event of the Wizard to create a new row...

I use an CreateUserWizard control to create new user account. Every time I create a new account, my logined account will change to the new one. How can i keep my current account after creating the new
I use an CreateUserWizard control to create new user account. Every time I create a new account, my logined account will change to the new one. How can i keep my current account after creating the new account? Simply set the "LoginCreatedUser" property of CreateUserWizard control to FALSE!  ...

NEW NEW NEW
hi I have a huge form to build on an asp.net page with multiple fields  that come from and also connect to (postback=true) 10 different tables{database is access for now } .which controls would be helpful please suggest. Also how about usign infopath to build forms and hosting it on iis is it feasible..please advice. Thanks in advance Environment: Visual studio 2005 ,iis webserver,ms access,Thanks to all the PROS who are helping other developers.. Hi, For ASP.NET 2.0 Hosting purpose I am currently using GoDaddy.com. And satisfied with the service.RegardsKuldeep Deokule&nbs...

How can i create new users without utilizing the create user wizard?
Hi, Is it possible for me to create new users without using the wizard? I am using a custom membership as i want to capture more data other than the ones which are available in the wizard. Is it possible for me to use the custom membeship create user method? If yes how can i call it ? What should i be giving the button_click event of my webpage where i capture the data? Thanks in advance Prady  You can call the CreateUser methods directly. They're available throughMembership.CreateUser(.....)If you have extra fields, not available in the CreateUser methods, you can add them to ...

Create User Wizard crashes after adding a new step.
Hi there,I have added another step to my create user wizard and now for some reason when on my new page I press the finish button I get this error"Invalid postback or callback argument.  Event validation is enabled using <pages enableEventValidation="true"/> in configuration or <%@ Page EnableEventValidation="true" %> in a page.  For security purposes, this feature verifies that arguments to postback or callback events originate from the server control that originally rendered them.  If the data is valid and expected, use the ClientScriptManager.RegisterF...

Creating A New User and adding the UserID to another table
 Hello ,I have an application that uses a stock CreateUserWizard to create new users. This appears to be working well, although as yet I only have a cursory knowledge of it. I also have a table called 'Main' . I would like to insert the created UserID from the  'aspnet_Users' table  into the 'Main' table as a new record at the same time that the new user is created, but I have not been able to figure how.CheersJohn  Use CreateUserWizard1_CreatedUser method for. It's called after insert new user in aspnet_Users table. You can find new user ID ...

Custom Create New User automatically logs-in New User
Hi. I've written a custom Create New User form that allows Admins to add new Users. The problem is it also logs-in the new User.  I realize the CreateUserWizard has a property (LoginCreatedUser); however, I'm not using the wizard. Can't find a way to programmatically NOT login a new User.  Does anyone know how to turn this off?  Here's my code: MembershipUser newUser = Membership.CreateUser(this.txtUserName.Text, this.txtPassword.Text, this.txtEmail.Text, this.txtQuestion.Text, this.txtAnswer.Text, false, out status); Thank you. -Nicole are you using the production ...

Create new Table
Hi, I create new database access with Web Matrix Wizard (microsoft access is not installed in my pc) and later I create new table with Data Wizard "Create new Table" but later inserted table name "prova", Web Matrix Wizard response: Error adding table The Error Description is in Italian: Il tipo di valore utilizzato dall'applicazione non è valido per l'operazione corrente. Help! I receive an error which I believe is the same. The message in English, in case it is useful to anyone, is: "Application uses a value of the wrong type for the curre...

Adding a new field to a table with image field
Hi, I have a concern about adding a new field to a table with image field - which is huge. Will there be a problem with some databases, where they have a hard time locating data correctly after such a large field? Previously this happened to me, and what was advised to put all the big fields at the end of the table. Thanks.   I have not heard of such impact caused by the order of columns. When SQL search table to locate a row, it either uses table scan (when no index exists on the table) from the IAM page, or utilize indexes (clusetered/nonclustered)...

creating a new role that is not an Administrator, but users can create new pages
My organization is migrating to DNN version 3 for its Internet site. We will have various people (about 40) throughout the organization designated as content managers, who will create pages for their units. I tried creating a new role called 'Content Manager' in DNN, but as far as I can see, unless I designate these people as Administrators, they won't have access to create new pages - the icon bar at the top for creating and editing pages only appears for Administrators and SuperUser. I'm a programmer, so I did some extensive digging into the code, and it appears that this is really hard-wi...

Creating a new table from a dataset created via tableadapter wizard
I created a dataset from add item and called it dsRSS.  Using the tableadapter wizard I connected to a access database, selected all items from a table nad names my TableAdapter: tatblRSSStories Table: tblRSSStories Now I want to create a New table from that one by using Dim ntbl As DataTable = New tblRSSStoriesDataTable("tblStories") I get overload resolution failed because no acceptable “New” accepts this number of arguments ThanksThink how much the computer has done for you! Hi sirandre007  1) I recommend you to use a typed datatable instea...

Adding new field to table
Using SQLAnywhere 5.5.04 and NT 4.0 with about 30 users on the network, when I add a new field to a table should I tell everyone to get off the network? Rick Charnes wrote: > > Using SQLAnywhere 5.5.04 and NT 4.0 with about 30 users on the network, > when I add a new field to a table should I tell everyone to get off the > network? They can be on the network, but they should probably log out of the database. If any user has a cursor open to the table you are attempting to alter, the database engine will raise an error message telling you that [name of logged in use...

Web resources about - Adding new tables and fields to ASPNETDB and create new user wizard - asp.net.security

connection string for SQL Server Express from asp.net 2.0
... (WSAT) having a problem connecting to said SQL Server Express instance even after aspnet_regsql had been run fine, and I could see the aspnetdb ...

Visual web developer 2005 &SQL 2005 in Vista trouble-shooting - Web Development learning dairy
Under Windows Vista, if you use ASP.net Configuration tool of VWD and test AspNetSqlProvider connection, you will get a error message saying: ...