'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE' vs 'MACHINE NAME\ASPNET'

In my local machine, I have always seen IIS use ASPNET as default user for website; but I just found that it uses 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE' on the server.  Is it safe to generalize and say that :

Windows 2000, WindowsXP  --> MACHINE NAME\ASPNET

Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2003 Server --> 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'

Please advise.  Thank you.

George

0
gkanch

Some minor correction Win2k including Advanced Server and XP are IIS5 so it is Asp.net account, the Network Service Account was introduced in Win2003 which is IIS6 and the Anonymous users were also removed from the default everybody group. The link below is IIS6 docs that will help you, but most question I cannot answer now I can answer in details I have the Win2003 MOC (Microsoft official curriculum). Hope this helps.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/750d3137-462c-491d-b6c7-5f370d7f26cd.mspx?mfr=true

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
0
Caddre
1/4/2007 2:16:15 AM

Thanks Caddre.  So I'll check IIS version to determine which account is used:

IIS 5 -- Machine Name\Asp.net
IIS 6 -- NT Authority\Network Service

What confuses me is that, I also found Asp.net account in Win2003 server.  If it is not used, why it is there.

0
gkanch
1/4/2007 3:33:42 PM
..Microsoft products install a lot of system accounts for products when you install the product or component but most are not used some times disabled by security teams in big companies but they are harmless. If you have SQL Server also installed you will see the SQL Debugger account, but SQL Server Debugger is still work in progress most people don't use, I think the accounts are provided to used as needed. Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
0
Caddre

''''''''''''''''''''

'''''

'do' won't 'do' if '/'

'''

Cannot open database 'ASPState'. The Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'
This problem ONLY occurs when my site is being hosted on the server (IIS V6.0) with the database (MS SQL 2005) and not when the database is hosted on the server but the website locally on my development machine. This error doesn't occur when my Web.config uses the following: <sessionState mode="InProc" cookieless="false" timeout="2" /> But I'm trying to use the SQL server to store session data as so: <sessionState mode="SQLServer" stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424" sqlConnectionString="data source=peniisw2...

Not able to add Login user 'NT AUTHORITY\Network Service' to role 'aspnet_Membership_FullAccess'
I am trying to add Login user 'NT AUTHORITY\Network Service' to role 'aspnet_Membership_FullAccess' using the following statements. I have attached database ASPNET.mdf to SSMS.  -- Create a SQL Server login for the Network Service accountsp_grantlogin 'NT AUTHORITY\Network Service'-- Grant the login access to the membership databaseUSE aspnetdbGOsp_grantdbaccess 'NT AUTHORITY\Network Service', 'Network Service'-- Add user to database roleUSE aspnetdbGOsp_addrolemember 'aspnet_Membership_FullAccess', 'Network Service' I am ge...

'returns' vs 'of'
I don't like the assignments of 'returns' and 'of'. I think it is easily confused. I've written foo (Int $x) returns Int in examples and nobody noticed. As formal documentation, that scans right as the outer perceived return value type. But no, it's supposed to be foo (Int $x) of Int instead. The returns keyword affects the implementation of the function, not the external contract. Yet, if returns is missing it uses the of value by default, but if the of is missing it does not give static type checking to the caller, rather than using the sam...

'b'..'a'

'or' or 'union'

'IN' Clause or 'OR'
Hello, [1]: select * from TABLEA where COL1 IN('value1','value2''valu3'....) [2]:select * from TABLEA where COL1 = 'value1' OR COL1= 'value2' OR COL1='valu3'. TABLEA is a huge table and it has non-clustered index on COL1. Among the above 2 queries, which query will give me the better performance or fast response and WHY? What is the difference between 'IN' and 'OR' clauses as for as Sybase Optimization is concerned. Which is the better one to be used on huge tables. Thanks. Mac An IN list is treated ...

Cannot open database requested in login 'AstraTrain'. Login fails. Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'. "
Hi I just made some changes to my Website.... I configured my website to run under SQL server authentication....so i created an user under SQL server named it "sqltestapp".Then I was trying to connect to the database using this user account. So I made theconnection string as <add name="AstraTrainConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=ITAPPDEV;Initial Catalog=AstraTrain;User id=sqltestapp; password= sqltestapp;Integrated Security=false"providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />Now I am using  SQL authentication to connect to the ...

'Value' should be between 'minimum' and 'maximum'.
I'm attempting to invoke with parameters:  Dim thing2 As New mydelsubPBStep(AddressOf pbStep) Me.Invoke(thing2, "setMax", dt.Rows.Count)      <---- this is where the error occurs   the delegate looks like this: Private Delegate Sub mydelsubPBStep(ByVal mode As String, ByVal value As Integer)   the function it's calling looks like this:Private Sub pbStep(ByVal mode As String, ByVal value As Integer) Select Case mode.ToLower Case "clear" ProgressBar1.Value = 0 Case "step" ProgressBar1.PerformStep() L...

Web resources about - 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE' vs 'MACHINE NAME\ASPNET' - asp.net.security