Using Data Controls Without Using ObjectDataSource Control

Hi,

I've been looking on the Internet for a tutorial that would show me how to use the data conrols (FormView, GridView etc) without using an ObjectDataSource (or any other data source control).

 The reason is that I want to use a formview and gridview from within another formview control to create a single form  that would allow me to insert, update and delete an order and its order details at the same time.

I thought that this could be achieved by having a DataSet containing two DataTable objects in the code-behind with the Order DataTable containing one row to represent the order and the second DataTable containing the Order Details for that single order and manually insert, update, and delete from the single form and then pass the whole DataSet back to my BLL.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any tutorials or books that would show me how to do this.  I've followed Scott Mitchell's tutorials on this site, but he uses the ObjectDataSource whenever he uses the FormView or GridView and I can't see any way to do it with the ObjeectDataSource, unless you can bind it directly to a DataTable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Micky

0
MickySmig

http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/  These guys have some old school binding examples on their site.

Good Luck

0
Danny117
3/29/2009 1:51:01 PM

Thanks Danny, I'll have a look and see what I can find.

0
MickySmig
3/29/2009 2:08:10 PM

I've found the article below and I think that this will give me the information that I need.  I've posted it in case anyone else needs to do this.

http://www.dotnetfunda.com/articles/article29.aspx

0
MickySmig

What control do I use (or do I not use a control at all...)
Okay so here's the story so far. I am making a blog to be incorporated into a website. Well, I'm doing the blog from scratch. I'm using MySQL to source all the data via MySQL .NET/Connector. Now while developing the script, I used DataReader and Response.Write to show the blog topics. Now that it has come to put it under a design (I'm using a Master Page for that), I've hit the problem. Response.Write shows all the topics before any of the design elements could be incorporated. So that (more or less) is out of question. So next I looked into the data presentation controls. I looked up GridVi...

is it possible to use loginstatus control without using login control?
 Hi friendspls let me clear in this.is it possible to use loginstatus control without using login control?thanks in advance          Yes, if you write your own login control that plugs in using asp.net authentication via the provider model then the login status will still work fine.You can set up custom providers in web.config.  thanks to reply. can u give me a sample code?  Yeah for custom providers in web.config its pretty simple, but the rolling your own is a complex task. Do you already have a database or some reason for...

Using Data Control in another data control
Hey, How to use a SqlDataSource control in a GridView and so on...I mean i wanna show data which comes from UserTables in a gridview whoses data comes from ContentTable so they are two separated tables. Thanks and Regards...I am not a perfect programmer, but i have perfect programmers' habits [ i think so :)] I mean how to use nested gridview controls. Please aren't there any poeple who can help me ?I am not a perfect programmer, but i have perfect programmers' habits [ i think so :)] Try the links below, they might be of some help to you.http://msdn2.microso...

Page and Control Flashing Using AJAX Control Toolkit Controls
Page and Control Flashing Using AJAX Control Toolkit Controls I'm using IE7 and the ASP.NET AJAX Control Toolkit.  I'm using two controls -- Accordion and CollapsiblePanelExtender.  I'm actually using 2 CollapsiblePanelExtenders, and the Accordion control is inside one of the panels for the CollapsiblePanelExtender (see the code below). The problem I'm seeing is that when I click an Accordion pane to open/close it or click the CollapsiblePanelExtender panel to open/close the panels, the controls and page flash while the animation is in progess.  Everything el...

using controlS to control a gridview
This question is probably posted but i did not bother to look at 10,000+ posts so i am sorry. I've seen the tutorial where he builds a dataset and uses a gridview and controls the gridview with the drop down list box. What i am trying to do is to control the gridview with 2 drop down list boxes. First select the Country you life in and then the State. I've looked at the grid view properties but couldn't find where i can add another parameter. Is it possible to control a grid view (or any form of displaying the information) with more than 1 controller? Thank You.  ...

ajax.net controls used in custom composite controls?
I am creating an events calendar that uses the accordion to display the events for the selected day.  The problem I'm having is that the accordion is not responding to any client side events.  I would really like to find a good "How to" article for building composite controls that incorporate an ajax.net control like the accordion....

using a .Net Control as activex control in VCL form
Hi , We have a to integrate a simple .Dot CSharp control which needs to be integrated into bcb2010 VCL form as a control. We will place the control on the VCL form along with other VCL controls's. I tried creating a simple .net control using a lable+textbox and trying to use in vcl form. I have made the assembly comvisible and generated tlb files and .bpl for the component. I could see the component in "ActiveX" tool palette. But when I drag the object onto VCL form and try to access its attributes I run into problems. I am not able to see .net control on the vcl at runti...

Modifing javascript to use server controls instead of using html controls
Hi, I use a Javascript to create a textbox that converts English to Hindi text. I am using it in my aspx pages. I use another javascript to access the Text of this HTML textbox.  Everything is fine when I use Single TextBox on a page. But the complexities go out of my control when i need to use 5 such textboxes on the same aspx page. Moreover I encounter issues of ID of ASP.NET controls that get changed as there are ContentPlaceHolders, TabPanels etc. I don't know the javascript things so deeply that I can comprehend the code that generates the custom Textbox. Now I ne...

How do YOU build your server controls? Using writer to output html or using controls?

Error using the PopupControlExtender control when referencing controls that are contained within another control...
I'm running into an issue when using the PopupControlExtender control. It appears the if the TargetControlID or control you are targeting is inside another ASP.NET control you can not access the control b/c the ID of the control when the page renders is differnt. It appears that you also can not use the <%# control.UniqueID %> method b/c the PopupControlExtender does not support DataBinding. An example of my problem...I have a wizard control. Inside that wizard control is a textbox called TextBox1. I want to add a popup calendar to that textbox by using the PopupControlExtender contro...

What kind of benefits are there to use ObjectDataSource control instead of SqlDataSource control?
I have learned some Starter Kits such as Personal WebSite Starter Kit, Classifieds Site..., I find these programs always use ObjectDataSource control as the datasource of DataList, GridView and write down many additional codes. I think that it will be simple if use SqlDataSource control.I can write some Stored Procedures with parameters in SQL 2005 database and select StoredProcedure from SelectCommandType in SqlDataSource control, so I think I can do the same work either ObjectDataSource control or SqlDataSource control if I only handle SQL 2005 database. I know ObjectDataSource can handle...

Issue with getting values from child controls in a gridview, to use for the update using a SQLDataSource control
Hi all, I have a gridview bound with a SQLDataSource. I am using the Update feature of the SQLDataSource to update a SQL Server database with values entered into the gridview. However I am not getting it to work. I believe this is due to the controls that contain the user entries are not the gridview itself, but rather child controls within the gridview. I have been using the names of the actual controls but nothing happens. Upon submit, the screen returns blank, and the database is not updated. Here is some code:   <asp:GridView ID="GridEditSettlement" runat="server" AutoGenerate...

Web resources about - Using Data Controls Without Using ObjectDataSource Control - asp.net.presentation-controls

Forums Forums Database Error
This is a discussion forum powered by vBulletin. To find out about vBulletin, go to http://www.vbulletin.com/ .

Using The LINQDataSource
-*+There is a new datasource control available in Visual Studio that works in much the same way as the SQLDataSource and the ObjectDataSource. ...

ASP.NET Web Forms DynamicData FieldTemplates for DbGeography Spatial Types
... a FormView in ASP.NET Web Forms. Notice the ItemType is set, rather than using Eval(). We're also using SelectMethod rather than an ObjectDataSource. ...

LINQ Tutorials : LINQ Tutorials, Articles and Resources
Articles and Helpful Tutorials for LINQ and ASP.NET

About Mikesdotnetting
I started this site as somewhere to store answers to bits and pieces that I see asked frequently in the forums at www.asp.net . Rather than type ...

Runnable code for JQuery, Codeigniter, NodeJS, PHP, Python and more - Runnable
Runnable code for dart-vm, express, paypal, google, evernote, everyauth, ejs, rendr, CakePHP, php-mysql, php-facebook, codeigniter, imagemagick, ...

ASP.NET Pivot Table - RadPivotGrid for ASP.NET AJAX
... of all data reports. Try now! Use any declarative data source control (AccessDataSource, SqlDataSource, LinqDataSource, EntityDataSource, ObjectDataSource, ...

Miscellaneous « AJ\’s blog
AJ\’s blog January 28, 2012 2011 in review Filed under: Miscellaneous — ajdotnet @ 7:41 pm The WordPress.com stats helper monkeys prepared a ...

ObjectDataSource - Selectcount method with custom parameters and custom paging.
protected void obds_Selecting(object sender, ObjectDataSourceSelectingEventArgs e) { if (!e.ExecutingSelectCount) { e.InputParameters["filter"] ...

Archive
Archive - Forever Breathes The Lonely Word