SqlDataSource Control and Gridview control

Hi,

I'm new to web development and learning about these controls.  The books teach you to bind the gridview control to an sqldatasource to perform delete,update,insert functions as well as to list the records in a table.  Is this standard practice for real world applications?  Or is there another way that should be used to display/manage table data in the gridview control?

Thanks.

Tulsi

0
Tulsim83

Using a sqldatasource is the best way I know of for binding data to a gridview.  (I'm pretty new to web development too, so maybe someone else can chime in if they know something better) - It has pretty extensive features though, and you can do some very complex data access setups depending on what you choose as your datasource.  Using the object datasource (business object or dataset) is very useful, when you create your own dataset/object - http://www.asp.net/learn/data-access/

0
TimTheWizard

Custom Control within a Control Control

gridview control in another gridview control
Hi ia have a questioni have a gridview control which contains button in one colum.now my question is i need another gridview to be placed in the  first gidviewso that when i click on the button the second gridview will populate the data.now my question is how to place second gridview in first gridview.or is there any approach like first grid itself acting as parent and child.please help me  Hi sirikalavalapalli:                I think nested gridview will help you. Check this link and it will show you how...

using controlS to control a gridview
This question is probably posted but i did not bother to look at 10,000+ posts so i am sorry. I've seen the tutorial where he builds a dataset and uses a gridview and controls the gridview with the drop down list box. What i am trying to do is to control the gridview with 2 drop down list boxes. First select the Country you life in and then the State. I've looked at the grid view properties but couldn't find where i can add another parameter. Is it possible to control a grid view (or any form of displaying the information) with more than 1 controller? Thank You.  ...

How to control sqldatasource control programatically ?
Hi...I am newbie. Pls review my code and give me help. I made some code following as. Dim sData As New SqlDataSourcesData.DataSourceMode = SqlDataSourceMode.DataReadersData.ConnectionString = ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings("ConnectionString").ConnectionStringsData.SelectCommandType = SqlDataSourceCommandType.StoredProceduresData.SelectCommand = "GetMyProfile"sData.SelectParameters.Add("@user_id", uid). I don't how to make the next code to get data and to display it in textbox. txtFirstName.Text = sData. ?????? pls help me. You probably need s...

validation controls in gridview control
hi, I m using the grid view to add,edit,update,delete the data table. Everything is fine.In the footertemplate i get the values through text boxes and drop down lists.i took place sm validation controls to validate these controls.the problem arises here.if i want to update the record after i click the edit button, it validate the page n dont allow me to update the record.I want to validate the particular controls only. i checked if any causes validation property for update button.there is nothing like that. pls help me.. thanks in advance gowri  regards,gowripillaimark as answer if...

Gridview control embedded in another gridview control
I am writing an ambulance crew scheduling application on the web and I need some help completing the last part.  I have an access database that has three tables: user table, shift table (describing the shifts available), and a schedule table (that stores shift by shift_id and user by user_id).  I have a gridview control that will display the available shifts but I cannot get the embedded gridview control that will display the user that is signed up for each shift to display because I cannot figure out how to use the OnRowDataBound method.  I need a simple VB example of how to...

Precise Control over GridView controls?
Hi.When you create a GridView in visual studios and bind it to, say, an SqlDataSource, it automatically creates fields and templates according to the types retrieved from the data source. (ie, it creates a Label for number/string columns, checkboxField for booleans, etc). My question: How do I control precisely what WebControls/Fields are used for each column?thanks,Tombow Hi Tombow Using TemplateFields you can control that explicitly.  See the Data Tutorial #12 at http://www.asp.net/learn/dataaccess/default.aspx?tabid=63 for more details. Hope that helps. AaronDon't...

Help Req: !!! :- On Disabling Controls Present inside a Gridview control
Hi All, We have A requirement Where we have disable controls inside a grid.These controls can be textbox, DropDownlist (in TemplateField), ComandField present inside the grid.We have to call a generic method for doing the same .(since it can be done for multiple grid.) PFB the code snippet we use. Which disables all the controls inside the page.The bolded part of the code is used to loop inside a grid view.(Not Working.)Is this ideal way to deal with the requirement.Or can someone suggest be a better way.        public void DisableMe(Page p1, st...

Trying to load a control into a control from another control
Exactly as the subject states, I'm trying to load a control into another control from a control loaded into a page, I keep getting this error from the code I have below. I've also tried the findcontrol but it keeps coming up null. (67): 'System.Web.UI.UserControl' denotes a 'class' where a 'variable' was expected UserControl ut = ((webcontrols.BrowseItems)UserControl).LoadControl("BrowseItems"); ((webcontrols.BrowseItems)UserControl).pnl_browse_main.Controls.Add(ut); This is how we Load User controls into a content place holder. try { UserCont...

How do you control the placement of controls in a user define control
I have a user define control.  I put the control on the (C# Visual Studio 2008) page where I want them. When I run the program, the controls are all over the page.  How do I place them where they do not move form where I put them? You'll need to study the HTML output and see what it's producing, then start to look at how to do an HTML layout. hi, there are absolute and Relative position in html. I guess you must use relative position. For example, at design-time, you place a TextBox below an Image, at run-time, no matter what size is the image, the TextBox is alway bel...

There is a Gridview Control in the tmplate field of another GridView Control.
    For instance,a gridview displays the information of the  students in a class.A table is recording the information except their mark.There is another table recording the mark of the students whose foreign key is the primary key of the previous table.   string strSQLconnection=".................."; SqlConnection sqlCononection=new SqlConnection(strSQLconnection); SqlCommand sqlCommand=new SqlCommand("select * from stuendent where classID=1",sqlConnection); SqlConnection.Open(); SqlDataReader reader=sqlCommand.ExecuteReader(); GridVie...

Web resources about - SqlDataSource Control and Gridview control - asp.net.presentation-controls

Top Ranked Articles

Using The LINQDataSource
-*+There is a new datasource control available in Visual Studio that works in much the same way as the SQLDataSource and the ObjectDataSource. ...

Gabriel Mongeon
Archive - Gabriel Mongeon

moredotnet
M ore d otnet .NET Interview Questions, ASP.NET, C#, VB.NET, XML, SQL Check Out http://www.dotnetUncle.com √ .NET NOTES OOPS in .NET .NET ...

Architectural Overview of the Windows Presentation Foundation Beta 1 Release
Introduction Windows Presentation Foundation Beta 1 Windows Integration New Features WinFX SDK Exploring the New Features Introducing "Express" ...

About Mikesdotnetting
I started this site as somewhere to store answers to bits and pieces that I see asked frequently in the forums at www.asp.net . Rather than type ...

Using MiniProfiler with SqlDataSource ASP.NET WebForms Control
public class ProfiledSqlDataSource : SqlDataSource{ protected override DbProviderFactory GetDbProviderFactory() { // get the "base" DbProviderFactory ...

ASP.NET Pivot Table - RadPivotGrid for ASP.NET AJAX
... reports. RadPivotGrid allows easy customization of all data reports. Try now! Use any declarative data source control (AccessDataSource, SqlDataSource, ...

Sign on
Sign On • Join • Forums Home User Name * Password * Remember me next time ( I forgot my password ) SUBMIT YOUR WTF Content Random Article All ...

ComboBox Sample
ComboBox is an ASP.NET AJAX control that, like the AutoCompleteExtender , combines the flexibility of a TextBox with a list of options that users ...