Problem in Using DropDownList Control to select a selected row of SqlDataSource that is under GridView Control

Hi all,

In my SQL Server Management Studio Express, I have a database "ChemDatabase" that has a table "LabData"  formatted in the following way: SampleID int PRIMARY KEY, SampleName nvarchar(25), ChemicalName, nvarchar(25), Concentration decimal(6.2) with 5 rows of records in this .dbo table.

In my Visual Web Developer Express, I created a website "RPD-TCE" for extracting a row of record from the LabData table by using a DropDownList, a GridView and a SqlDataSource.  I want to click DropDownList to list one number of SampleID and one row of the corresponding record out of the LabData table, for example,

DropDownList: 3 (of SampleID)

GridView output:

                   SampleID    SampleName   ChemicalName    Concentration

                         3                MW-2              Benzene              22

I had a SqlDataSource used for the DropDownList control and the GridView control in my website and I could not get the above-mentioned output in my localhost browser, because I could not set parameters of the Configure Select Statement right in the DropDownList and GridView controls.

Question #1:  Should I have one SqlDataSource or 2 SqlDataSources for my default.aspx?

Question #2: How can I set a correlation between the SampleID of DropDownList and that of GridView for the right output from the SqlDataSource?

Question #3: In the "Add WHERE Clause" of  Data Configuration:

     Columm:  SampleID      Parameter Properties/Control ID: "DropDownList1" or "GridView1" should be used?

      Operator:   =

      Source: None or Control or Cookie or Form or Profile or QueryString or Session should be used?

Please help and advise.

Thanks,

Scott  Chang
0
bigocean

how to populate a dropdownlist control and update the selected item in a gridview control
Hi friends help me with this ... Requirement: 1) i want to populate a dropdownlist(ddl) in a gridview when clicking the edit button of a perticular row by using gridview events and also update the selected item of the ddl to the database. 2) also i don't want to use sqldatasource controls i.e. we should take the help of only gridview events 3) DropDownList will be populated fom TableB: Actions taken: In page_load while binding the grid i m getting the error: Cannot perform '=' operation on System.Int32 and System.String  my fields and datatypes are as follows...

Using Javascript Select() on a control with the Wizard Control
Hello, I am tring to set the focus and select the initially inserted value of a textbox that resides in a user control, hosted in a wizard in an aspx page using a master page. It seems that setting focus works just fine, but setting the select on the textbox fails. The focus changes to the next button. Does anyone know how to deal with this?Cheers,Rodneyhttp://www.RodneyHeinkens.com - Sharing .NET and SQL Experiences It turns out that JavaScript is setting the focus, but after the pageload, the focus is set to the next button of the wizard.Cheers,Rodneyhttp://www.RodneyHeinkens.com - Sh...

Problem Using Slider Control in Gridview Control
Hello to all,   it is urgent.   i want to use slider control in a Gridview Template Column, if someone can help me how i can get this functionality?...

Problem using two gridviews when using selected value of 1st to control datasource of 2nd
 I have a page with 2 gridviews. When you select a row in the first gridview, the DataKey of that row gets passed to the second gridview, which then displays a list of related records. I've read at http://www.asp.net/learn/data-access/tutorial-08-cs.aspx that there can be issues around page lifecycle timing that can affect what I'm doing so I've tried to follow the instructions there. However, I'm still having problems.Here's the flow of what I want to happen:a) User clicks row in gridview1.b) Postback occurs.c) gridview1 is selected, gridview2 shows records relating...

Issue with getting values from child controls in a gridview, to use for the update using a SQLDataSource control
Hi all, I have a gridview bound with a SQLDataSource. I am using the Update feature of the SQLDataSource to update a SQL Server database with values entered into the gridview. However I am not getting it to work. I believe this is due to the controls that contain the user entries are not the gridview itself, but rather child controls within the gridview. I have been using the names of the actual controls but nothing happens. Upon submit, the screen returns blank, and the database is not updated. Here is some code:   <asp:GridView ID="GridEditSettlement" runat="server" AutoGenerate...

select control in a repeater control
Hi I have a repeater control which data are selected that way:  Strsql = "SELECT T_PRODUIT.NO_PRODUIT, T_PRODUIT.UNITE, T_PRODUIT.NO_CATEGORIE, T_PRODUIT.NO_CSBE,T_PRODUIT.NOUVEAU,T_PRODUIT.ID_PRODUIT, " & _ "CASE WHEN IMAGE IS NULL THEN 'Aucun.gif' ELSE IMAGE END AS IMAGE1, T_PRODUIT.NOM, " & _ "T_PRODUIT.DESCR, T_PRODUIT.DETAIL,T_FOURNISSEUR_PRODUIT.NO_FOURNISSEUR_PRODUIT, T_FOURNISSEUR_PRODUIT.PRIX, T_FOURNISSEUR_PRODUIT.PRIX_LISTE, " & _ "T_FOURNISSEUR.NOM as FNOM, T_FOURNISSEUR.NO_F...

using controlS to control a gridview
This question is probably posted but i did not bother to look at 10,000+ posts so i am sorry. I've seen the tutorial where he builds a dataset and uses a gridview and controls the gridview with the drop down list box. What i am trying to do is to control the gridview with 2 drop down list boxes. First select the Country you life in and then the State. I've looked at the grid view properties but couldn't find where i can add another parameter. Is it possible to control a grid view (or any form of displaying the information) with more than 1 controller? Thank You.  ...

SqlDataSource Control and Gridview control
Hi, I'm new to web development and learning about these controls.  The books teach you to bind the gridview control to an sqldatasource to perform delete,update,insert functions as well as to list the records in a table.  Is this standard practice for real world applications?  Or is there another way that should be used to display/manage table data in the gridview control? Thanks. Tulsi Using a sqldatasource is the best way I know of for binding data to a gridview.  (I'm pretty new to web development too, so maybe someone else can chime in if they know someth...

(master/detail) control using gridview and formview controls problem...
hi guys, i'm new to .net programming and have been toying with the (master/detail) control using gridview and formview controls...however, i can't seem to drilldown to the correct record when the primary key is a composite key. please help....   <asp:GridView ID="GridView1" runat="server" DataKeyNames="ServiceID,VersionNum" CellPadding="4" DataSourceID="SqlDataSource1" ForeColor="#333333" GridLines="None"               &nbs...

What control do I use (or do I not use a control at all...)
Okay so here's the story so far. I am making a blog to be incorporated into a website. Well, I'm doing the blog from scratch. I'm using MySQL to source all the data via MySQL .NET/Connector. Now while developing the script, I used DataReader and Response.Write to show the blog topics. Now that it has come to put it under a design (I'm using a Master Page for that), I've hit the problem. Response.Write shows all the topics before any of the design elements could be incorporated. So that (more or less) is out of question. So next I looked into the data presentation controls. I looked up GridVi...

disable textbox control and dropdownlist control when selecting one of the radiobuttons
I want to disable the textbox control (also change its background colour) and dropdownlist control when I select one of the radiobuttons.I did it on the checkedchanged event of that radio button but it is not working.what should I do ?  Make the AutoPostBack property of radiobuttons trueIf this post was useful to you, please mark it as answer.ClientSideAsp.Net | Blog  Make sure you set the "AtuoPostBack" property for radiobuttonList to true then you can handle its selectedIndexChanged   Protected Sub RadioButtonList1_SelectedIndexChanged(By...

how can i Fill the controls on web page by selecting value from dropdownlist control.
  Hi,  Currentlly i am working on a web application where i require to fill the web form with the selected item in a text box. for example i have dropdown control named supplier_name, and i want to fill all the other controls values from database on the form when i select name from that supplier_name box,i.e , if i select name1, then related to that name, its code,address ,city should appear on related text boxes. I have done the same in windows application with c# , but the problem with web application(asp.net) is that, when i select Supplier _ it...

Web resources about - Problem in Using DropDownList Control to select a selected row of SqlDataSource that is under GridView Control - asp.net.presentation-controls

Top Ranked Articles

Using The LINQDataSource
-*+There is a new datasource control available in Visual Studio that works in much the same way as the SQLDataSource and the ObjectDataSource. ...

Gabriel Mongeon
Archive - Gabriel Mongeon

moredotnet
M ore d otnet .NET Interview Questions, ASP.NET, C#, VB.NET, XML, SQL Check Out http://www.dotnetUncle.com √ .NET NOTES OOPS in .NET .NET ...

Architectural Overview of the Windows Presentation Foundation Beta 1 Release
Introduction Windows Presentation Foundation Beta 1 Windows Integration New Features WinFX SDK Exploring the New Features Introducing "Express" ...

About Mikesdotnetting
I started this site as somewhere to store answers to bits and pieces that I see asked frequently in the forums at www.asp.net . Rather than type ...

Using MiniProfiler with SqlDataSource ASP.NET WebForms Control
public class ProfiledSqlDataSource : SqlDataSource{ protected override DbProviderFactory GetDbProviderFactory() { // get the "base" DbProviderFactory ...

ASP.NET Pivot Table - RadPivotGrid for ASP.NET AJAX
... reports. RadPivotGrid allows easy customization of all data reports. Try now! Use any declarative data source control (AccessDataSource, SqlDataSource, ...

Sign on
Sign On • Join • Forums Home User Name * Password * Remember me next time ( I forgot my password ) SUBMIT YOUR WTF Content Random Article All ...

ComboBox Sample
ComboBox is an ASP.NET AJAX control that, like the AutoCompleteExtender , combines the flexibility of a TextBox with a list of options that users ...