Looking for a beginners tutorial or guide on using GRIDVIEW control with FORMVIEW control

what i want to be able to do is add a gridview control onto the page.. have it display my results

then have a link to take me to another page where they can edit the data if needed

I have a current project im working on that i have a search function on the top part and that value us passed into the GRIDVIEW below it and displays records.. each of those records has a link to a edit page.. since the gridview is merely a small teaser of all the data for the records.. the next page will display ALL fields for that record within a FORMVIEW..

The itemtemplate displays all the data in a nice format.. if its ok.. they leave it alone, if they want to edit they click edit and takes them to the edittemplate which has all the data bound to text boxes and so on.. and they can make updates and submit them..

if this is the wrong way of doing it, then i would like to see a good example of accomplishing this task..

thanks..

Newbie to ASP.net, Using VS2008 with C# and SQL2005
0
cubangt

This tutorial on Displaying Master/Detail Data in a GridView seems appropriate for your needs.

"Peace is Every Step." -Thich Nhat Hanh
0
gsdtech
1/22/2009 8:57:41 PM

Hi cubangt,

Here are some tutorials about how to use GridView with FormView controls:

http://www.asp.net/learn/videos/video-07.aspx

http://dink.no-ip.info/Blog/post/GridView-How-to-Video.aspx

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/GridViewFormView.aspx

Thanks,

Qin Dian Tang
Microsoft Online Community Support

Qin

using controlS to control a gridview
This question is probably posted but i did not bother to look at 10,000+ posts so i am sorry. I've seen the tutorial where he builds a dataset and uses a gridview and controls the gridview with the drop down list box. What i am trying to do is to control the gridview with 2 drop down list boxes. First select the Country you life in and then the State. I've looked at the grid view properties but couldn't find where i can add another parameter. Is it possible to control a grid view (or any form of displaying the information) with more than 1 controller? Thank You.  ...

What control do I use (or do I not use a control at all...)
Okay so here's the story so far. I am making a blog to be incorporated into a website. Well, I'm doing the blog from scratch. I'm using MySQL to source all the data via MySQL .NET/Connector. Now while developing the script, I used DataReader and Response.Write to show the blog topics. Now that it has come to put it under a design (I'm using a Master Page for that), I've hit the problem. Response.Write shows all the topics before any of the design elements could be incorporated. So that (more or less) is out of question. So next I looked into the data presentation controls. I looked up GridVi...

(master/detail) control using gridview and formview controls problem...
hi guys, i'm new to .net programming and have been toying with the (master/detail) control using gridview and formview controls...however, i can't seem to drilldown to the correct record when the primary key is a composite key. please help....   <asp:GridView ID="GridView1" runat="server" DataKeyNames="ServiceID,VersionNum" CellPadding="4" DataSourceID="SqlDataSource1" ForeColor="#333333" GridLines="None"               &nbs...

Cascading Dropdown error in formview controls and finding all controls in formview controls
can help with the following? Instantiate Cascading Dropdowns within Formview controls (this returns the error message "databinding methods such as Eval(), XPath(), and Bind() can only be used in the context of a databound control".) Pass values between controls within master controls such as Textboxes within formviews (example: Pass the selected value in a dropdownlist to another textbox both WITHIN a formview control) Expose the public properties of a master page Hi arraybiz, 1) I need your code. See sample: http://www.mikepope.com/blog/fun/cascadingdropdowns_dy...

how to use validation controls on FormView control?
Hi all,  I searched the forum for a solution to my problem, but while many of you seem to have had similar problems, I couldn't solve my (I thought easy) problem. This is my setup: I try to put a FormView control on my page where users can insert records into a database. All good, except that I want to add some Validation controls to my form, at least some RequiredField validators. I tried adding the controls in the InsertItem Template for starters, but that doesn't seem to work:" Unable to find control id 'FirstNameTextBox' referenced by the 'ControlT...

Using Validation controls with FormView control
Hello dears; Is  it possible to use validation controls with FormView or DetailsView controls during Edit mode? Such controls have no Error Events handlers to use and there textboxes have only TextChanged Event handlers which have no text property. Also how can i get the content of a cell in theFormView ? Thanks alot  VWD2005 The FormView control supports templates -- so you could add an ItemTemplate or EditTemplate to it, and absolutely put validation controls within there as well. Hope this helps, Scott Thanks Scott  VWD2005 Hello I know your busy but I can'...

How to: 2.0 Encrypting Field Data Using a Formview Control and a Gridview control for SQL
The Exercise: Using a Formview Control and a Gridview control to Encrypt data going into SQL, Decrypt it for display, and Be able to Edit it. Using Visual Studio 2005 ASP.NET 2.0 Framework   Files needed: – QSEnc64.vb to be placed in the App_Code folder of your application TestInsertEdit.aspx in the root of the application TestInsertEdit.aspx.vb in the root of the application A Web Config file with a valid ConnectionString Your_SQLConnectionString A SQL Database that you can add the test table to (see script below)   Hopefully this exercise will save you the time it to...

Custom Control within a Control Control

gridview control in another gridview control
Hi ia have a questioni have a gridview control which contains button in one colum.now my question is i need another gridview to be placed in the  first gidviewso that when i click on the button the second gridview will populate the data.now my question is how to place second gridview in first gridview.or is there any approach like first grid itself acting as parent and child.please help me  Hi sirikalavalapalli:                I think nested gridview will help you. Check this link and it will show you how...

Page and Control Flashing Using AJAX Control Toolkit Controls
Page and Control Flashing Using AJAX Control Toolkit Controls I'm using IE7 and the ASP.NET AJAX Control Toolkit.  I'm using two controls -- Accordion and CollapsiblePanelExtender.  I'm actually using 2 CollapsiblePanelExtenders, and the Accordion control is inside one of the panels for the CollapsiblePanelExtender (see the code below). The problem I'm seeing is that when I click an Accordion pane to open/close it or click the CollapsiblePanelExtender panel to open/close the panels, the controls and page flash while the animation is in progess.  Everything el...

Web resources about - Looking for a beginners tutorial or guide on using GRIDVIEW control with FORMVIEW control - asp.net.presentation-controls

Wikipedia:Referencing for beginners - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
References (refs) on Wikipedia are important to validate writing and inform the reader. Any editor can potentially remove unsupported material, ...

The Expert Beginner (@ExpertBeginner1) on Twitter

Photography For Beginners Magazine for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
Get Photography For Beginners Magazine on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Mt Airy Beginner Yoga Class - a set on Flickr
Sets let you organize your photos on Flickr. Explore the 10 photos in this set.

Super easy piano song for beginners but sounds f***ing great!!! *TUTORIAL*
INSTAGRAM: mikkosebastian I'll teach you how to play this super easy song on piano. Wipe the dust off your piano and start playing this shit. ...

Second Test: Beginners' luck or Burns and Khawaja's time?
If Burns and Khawaja can bat positively with intent in the second Test like they did at the Gabba, we will see them in the side for years to ...

A Rugby World Cup beginners' guide: when to wake up and who to look out for
A guide on when to get up, who to look out for and what makes Sunday morning's showdown so special.

The Beginner’s Guide review: Failure is as failure does
... for entirely different reasons. Frankly, you won't find many video games who posit their creators as a lead character in the way that The Beginner's ...

COP21: Beginner's guide to the UN Paris climate summit
A background guide to the UN's major conference on climate change taking place in Paris until December 11.

A Beginner’s Guide To Star Wars
In case you haven’t heard, tomorrow is the release date of a little movie called Star Wars: Forced Awakening. Are you interested in seeing it, ...