How to use Connection String from Web Config

Hi All,

How do I use the Web Config connection string in code behind? What is the syntax

Dim

oCnn As New SqlConnection= ????

Skip_Frog

Dim oCnn As New SqlConnection
oCnn.ConnectionString = ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings("MyConnectionString").ConnectionString

Dont forget to import System.Configuration

Regards Mike
[MVP - ASP/ASP.NET]
My site
0
Mikesdotnetting

Why we use Web.Config File for connection string wether we can use class Library for get connection for whole web Application
 Why we use Web.Config File for connection string wether we can use class Library for get connection for whole web Application  please help me? Friend, Web.config has its own advantages. 1) Web.Config is used to store the important information like connections strings etc...so that it can be modified even after the code has been    deployed to the server without compiling the entire application again. 2) Since it is a XML file, there is no need of building the project of you are going to change the connection strings.   If you go for the class files,...

OLEDB Connection problem using Connect String from Web.config
Hi,Cananybody tell me why I am getting the following error for the following code below An OLE DB Provider was not specified in the ConnectionString.  An example would be, 'Provider=SQLOLEDB;'. "Ppp" is a connection defined in Web.config which works with SqlDatasource in the application. DataSet RunQuery(String QueryString) { String ConnectionString = System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["Ppp"].ConnectionString; OleDbConnection DBConnection = new OleDbConnection( ConnectionString); OleDbDataAdapter DBAdapter; DataSet ResultsDataSet = new DataSet(); M....

How do I use my web.config connection string in my DataAdapter/Connection that I created with drag/drop and data binding
This is a little hard to put into words... I have a form with a number of textbox fields on it that are bound to a data adapter. The data adapter and it's sql connection were created by dragging the objects onto the screen from the toolbox (not in code). I open connections in other places and use my connection string in web.config for those. The on-screen sql connection object doesn't seem to allow me to just fill in the function that pulls my conn string from web.config so in page.load, I set it's connection string to my connection string. Does the page load fire before the connect...

HOW TO USE THE CONNECTION STRING IN WEB.CONFIG
I have a connection string defined in the web.config file and as you know it is given a name.How can I reference such a connection string from a web form using the name given in the web.config file?What I actually do is to copy and paste the whole string in my web forms as follows:Dim pgConn As New PgSqlConnection("User Id=postgres;Password=p@ssw0rd;Host=localhost;Database=e-restdelivery;Persist Security Info=True;Schema=restaurant;Protocol=2")This method is not efficient because if the string changes I have to modify every web form where a connection string is locat...

Using a connection string from web.config
Ok. I thought this was going to be easy but it is turring out to be harder than I expected. I want to use a database connection string from the web.config file. If I use a sqldataadapter and configure a connection then the page works fine. If i attempt to use the information from the web.config file I get the following message when attempting to connect to the DB. The ConnectionString property has not been initialized. Here is the code that I am using to establish the connection. Imports System.Web.Security Imports System.Data.SqlClient Public Class WebForm1 ...

How to use the connection string from the web.config with a method?
I have been trying to create the connection and then pass it around with no luck. Instead I've been able to just keep recreating it with each method on the page. I don't know why when I create a variable in the page_load event it just doesn't get seen inside of methods. If I put the variable holding the connection string in the page before the page_load event, I think the page class?, it still doesn't work. Could someone give me a heads up on why please? THank you so much in advance.  1 using System;2 using System.Data;3 using System.Configuration;4 usin...

Trying to use web.config for connection strings
I am trying to use a web.config file to store my connection string for my web app, but I am unable to retrieve the stored values, here is the code to my web.config and the sample page I'm testing. Sample Page dim strSql as string dim ds as dataset dim da as oledbDataAdapter dim Conn as string dim myconn as oledbConnection sub page_load(Sender As Object, E As EventArgs) lblDate.text = "Today's Date is: " & date.now.tostring() GridLoad() End sub Public sub GridLoad() strSql = &qu...

Updating Web.Config( ^SqlConnectionString^ was not found in web.config. Connection String was not updated).
hi ppl i installed the forum and when it was fininshed im not getting the fierst screen. when i wrote it myself on the explorer http://localhost/Forums it gave an error like this:::::::::::::::    Login failed for user 'amit'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed for user 'amit'. Reason:...

app.config connection string not being read
I have a Web app that has a UI Website Project and a DB dataset/db project. I am running SQL Server 2005 Express on my localhost for development purposes. I have the connectionstring for the DB in the DB projects app.config. The site is running perfectly on my localhost, but when I deploy the site to the review server and change the app.config's connectionstring accordingly a connection to the DB cannot be established. I then tried changing all the db names, usernames, password to jibberish in my app.config file on my localhost and running AND THE SITE STILL RAN ON LOCALHOST. For so...

using membership but keep connection strings out of web.config ?
Im using membership in my application, but I dont want to define the connection string in the config file also.  I want to store itelsewhere, then when the app starts up, load it and set this value.  Is this a good approach ?  For example, in your global.asax, application_start event you could load your connection string from a class property, then with System.Web.Configuration.WebConfigurationManager you can get the connection string name, and update its value.  Will this work ? If you want to store the connectionstring value elsewhere for security reasons, you might t...

How to use DSN in connection string in web config file?
Hi I need to use a DSN in web config file but I dont know how to use it. My Web Hosting company limite the database file( access) must be placed in a specified folder (DATA). and use DSN to establish the connection. The DSN files is: africaDSB.dsn [ODBC] DriverId=25 ReadOnly=0 FIL=MS Access DBQ=\data\africa Thanks Hi hotjava, Try this for file DSN: FILEDSN=c:\myData.dsn;Uid=myUsername;Pwd=;NOTE:If you find my response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site, I am providing this information as a convenience to you.Microsoft does not control these sites and...

How to use a connection string already defined in web.config?
Hi, I am writing an event procedure for a button's click event, and want to use a connection string which is already defined the web.config file.  How can I do that from the even procedure?Below is the content taken form my web.config file:<add name="NorthwindConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=CPQ1;Initial Catalog=Northwind;Integrated Security=True"   providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />David As long as this is under  web.config as <connectionStrings>  you can just refer to it in code as : <asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource1" run...

Getting Connection String from web.config in a Control dll
Hi, Im having trouble getting a function in a control I have made reading in a connection string from my web.config file. In my normal aspx pages this line works fine: Dim objSqlConnection as New SqlConnection(ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("strCon")) But it never working if I am building a control and I have to write out the connection string everytime?? The error message I get if I try to compile a dll which gets the connection string from the web.config is this: Error BC30451: Name 'ConfigurationSettings' is not declared. Please help!! - Carl Do you hav...

web.config connection string encryption using DPAPI
Hello, I have encrypted the connectionStrings section of my web.config using DPAPI. I use the below command. The problem is that once the connectionStrings section has been encrypted I get some errors in the web.config - "The 'configProtectionProvider' attribute is not declared" AND "The element 'connectionStrings' has an invalid child element 'EncryptedData'"  I have searched these forums and googled the problem. The only explanation I can find is to say this encryption method will not work with ...