How to delete row from GridView control - can't get index of row

Hello,

 I am working on an ASP.NET 2.0 app, and I am trying to wire up a "Delete" button to a gridview control on a form. Here is the code for the ASP :

 <asp:GridView ID="gvInConditions" runat="server" AutoGenerateColumns="true" OnRowDeleting="gvInConditions_RowDeleting" DataKeyNames="Condition_ID" >
         <Columns>
                <asp:CommandField ButtonType="Button" SelectText="Remove" ShowDeleteButton="true" />
          </Columns>
  </asp:GridView>

 The gridview is populated via a SQL stored procedure, and it is populatin fine. However, I just can't seem to get the parameters right for the 'DeletRow' method. Here is what I have been trying :

public void gvInConditions_RowDeleting(object sender, GridViewDeleteEventArgs e)

{

gvInConditions.DeleteRow((int)gvInConditions.DataKeys[e.RowIndex].value[0]);

}

I found this code online (actually, in a different post on this forum). But when I try to compile my project, I get this error :

 "Cannot apply indexing with [] to an expression of type 'object'"

I am banging my head on this one - any help or advice is GREATLY appreicated.

q-kev

0
quantum_kev

int id =Convert.ToInt32(GridView1.DataKeys[e.RowIndex].Value);

0
bchinnareddy

How to get the row index of a selected row in listview control
Can someone please tell me how to get the index of a selected row in a listview.  <ItemTemplate> <asp:LinkButton runat="server" class="linkButton" id="xxxxx" Text='<%#Eval("documenttype") %>' CommandName="OpenFile" CommandArgument='<%#Eval("DocumentKey") %>'></asp:LinkButton></ItemTemplate>what you have to do is, in itemcommand event of ListView, you have to get the value of row indexif(e.CommandName == "corrospondingcommaandname"){     &nb...

Getting the row index of a command in gridview control
In my gridview I have a textbox and a save icon which allows a user to enter a date and click save which saves the date to the database for that record pointed to in the row. The problem I have is that I don’t know how to get the row to process the save in the codebehind. Normally I would set the command-argument equal to the product ID and then in the codebehind handle the event where the commandname matches the commandname for the save icon. I have the problem then though of not knowing which row caused the event. If I use a buttonfield, I know it sets the commandargument to the row index...

How to delete controls in GridView when the delete button in a row is clicked
Hi,   I am having issues with my gridview.....i added 2 dropdown and 2 compare validators....whenever i delete a row though......the dropdown and compare validators are becoming null........thus when i click a button, it is still validating.............anyway to delete this when i click the delete button or even handle?   Please help.  ...

Data Controls insert rows into gridview then insert rows from gridview into SQL Table
Hello there, I'm still new at performing miracles with code . Currently I am having trouble with my latest coding adventure I have a web application which records jobs and labour assigned to jobs. The issue in particular I'm having is the way in which labour is to be assigned. I want to use standard controls (Textbox, Dropdownlist) to record the values into a gridview (ie,put multiple rows into the gridview using the controls). Then, when all the inserting is complete, the user clicks a submit button to insert all the rows from the gridview into a database table. The reason for...

Trying to load user control Dynamcially but getting error " Control 'ctl02_GridView1' of type 'GridView' must be placed inside a form tag with runat=server"
I am tired of this error and now writing a post.  My Web application has two pages. Page one has drop down list which redirect the page to another page . where I am going to load the usercontrol dynamically according to the choice of the user.     protected void ddlViewReport_SelectedIndexChanged(object sender, EventArgs e)  { if (ddlViewReport.SelectedIndex == 1) { Session["ReportType"] = ddlViewReport.SelectedIndex; Response.Redirect("RepReportingPage.aspx"); int crosspagevalue = ddlViewReport.SelectedIndex; } if (ddlViewReport.SelectedIndex == 2) {...

Delete a Row From A GridView Control
Well it is not just an ordinary delete. I have a Gridview which I populated manually. Then I need to delete a row which will be selected using a checkbox inside the gridview. I cant seem to find the way to just remove the specific row. I have already taken the rowIndex, but Gridview doesnt seem to allow me to delete a row unless I remove from a dataset or so. Anyhelp would be appreciated. Thanks - Mike use the property "DataKeyName" of the GridView. get the index and delete/remove the perticular row which you got through datakeyname property. and again bind your GridView. Thanx, [K...

Updating and binding control to other controls within the same row of a GridView
HiIn the EditTemplate of my GridView I show 2 DropDownLists. When the user selects the first dropdownlist, I need it to update the contents of the second dropdownlist. I have my Subs that do this fine when not inside the GridView, but what is the correct way to do it whilst they are in the GridView?This is my current attempt that returns the error 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object'. I presume its related to correctly targeting the DropDownList in question? This is my GridView:<asp:GridView ID="GridView1" runat="server"  &...

getting values from controls in gridview rows
hi there, i am building a simple shopping cart, i have a gridview with the products in.  there is a bound field with the product id, a template field (with a table and a load of labels which are bound to the product details via an sql data source and gridviewrowdatabound) and a buttonfield which is the add to cart button. i am calling the rowcommand with the button field and need to get the product id from the boundfield and the quantity from a text box in the template field and write them to my data grid. this is the start of my code behind, the row index works perfectly, ...

Help on deleting a row in Gridview control
Hi, I need to find out how to delete a row in the GridView control.  I have the following delete control in my GridView:<CODE><asp:TemplateField ItemStyle-HorizontalAlign=center ItemStyle-VerticalAlign="top"><ItemTemplate><asp:ImageButton ID=ibDelete runat=server ImageUrl="~/Images/delete.gif" CommandName="Delete"/></ItemTemplate> </asp:TemplateField></CODE> What events do I use and how do I get them to fire?  I just started using Gridviews.thanks. Hey,That should all you need to delete a row; a cli...

Delete Control Button in Gridview Row at RowDataBound
I'd like to Delete a Control Button in a Gridview Row at RowDataBound, based on certain criteria.  I can locate the control during the event routine, but:Set = nothing gives "read only"Dispose =  has no effect Any suggestions on how I might be able to delete this button in this situation would be appreciated.Thanks!(PS:  one alt is to ADD the button in row created under the opposite criteria...I was hoping the get the above approach to work first, since it allows vanilla generation of the button.)  got it...in RowDatabound....If e.Row.RowType = D...

First gridview's selected row doesn't update second gridview's objectdatasource
 HelloI got 2 gridviews on a page, each with its own ObjectDataSource. The first gridview fills itself just normally, no problem there. The second gridview needs to fill itself with other data, where the primary key is the primary key of the selected row of the first gridview.schematically:gridview1 row: IDfield, x, y, zrow: IDfield, x, y, z (-> this row is selected)row: IDfield, x, y, z gridview2 row:IDfield_of_selected_row_in_gridview1, a, b, c I tried to do this by configuring the ObjectDataSource behind gridview2 with a parameter pointing to gridview1.selectedValue. (by usin...

adding / deleting table rows, and accessing controls within added rows
Hi everyone,I would like to know what is a good and simple way to achieve this using asp.net.  Basically i would like the ability to add and delete rows, preferably table rows.  Against each row is its delete button, hitting it will delete the corresponding row.  There is only 1 Add button to add a new row.  In each row, there are say 2 textboxes.  When i hit, say a calculate button, i wish to be able to access all the available textboxes in all the available rows in the event handler, and say just output a sum.If GridView is suggested, could you please explain why i...

Gridview row click event fires, when clicking on controls within row.
I have a gridview control and I have added  a row click event which causes a post back. e.Row.Attributes.Add("onClick", this.Page.ClientScript.GetPostBackEventReference(this, "Select$" + e.Row.RowIndex.ToString()));  When the user clicks the row, i bind some data to a checkbox list, showing a uers a list of options they have chosen. All good so far. I also have a edit button for each row. When the row is in edit mode i display a checkbox and textbox. Problem is when i click on the textbox or the checkbox, it causes the row click event to fire. Any ida...

Web resources about - How to delete row from GridView control - can't get index of row - asp.net.presentation-controls