How do you get Real Time Web Page updates in relation to database updates?

I am trying to figure out if there is a simple way of ensuring that web page is updated when the database data changes?

It is possible to ensure that cache data is not out of date by using SQL Cache Invalidation. But this does not trigger a page refresh. It only ensures that the data is up to date when the next refresh happens.

In the particular case that I am looking at the data will only be update every 5 minutes or so. I had noted that the web page could have a refresh programmed in(see below). This could be combined with the cache invalidation to ensure updates. However, I would still prefer some mechanism that caused the page to refresh in reaction to a server data event as opposed to some random timer.

I had a quick read at the AJAX material but it seems a bit over the top for what I need and has seems to have slightly different goals,(backgrounding and reducing update overheads).

Any thoughts on the above would be appreciated.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"><html lang="en">

<head>

0
jimlostandhungry

It is a physical impossibility to implement a "push" technology using web servers. They would need to maintain a list of all connected clients (with IP addresses that they won't have because of NAT).

Refreshing the page on a timed basis, or using AJAX to pull down data on a timed basis, is the only approach.

Regards

Dave
0
DMW
2/27/2006 5:16:21 PM

So would you say that implementing the html refresh along with a the new 'SQL cache Invalidation' sql server capabilty is about as efficient as it gets?

I.e simple timed refresh with a caching to avoid unecessary database access where possible?

0
jimlostandhungry

update database without reloading (real time update)
hii created web page connected to the passenger data base...passenger pick there details by typing there ref number. upto this level it works fine. what i want is once passenger pick his/her details they can able to choose there seat .....once passenger type the seat number and click button it should be displayed on the gridview . i dont know how to do this ......plz any one help me out.here is my code:ASP.NET<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="Welcome.aspx.cs" Inherits="Default3" %><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD X...

Help me update related controls after a control was updated.
I have nested UserControls on page. What I need to do is to update Profile UserControl after an item was deleted from the list of items. We are using AJAX (ATLAS) in our project. Which principle do I need to use to accomplish that task? How would you do it? Thank you. "A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him." http://www.russiangeek.com/ hello. well, can you explain this a little better?-- Regards,Luis Abreuemail: labreu_at_gmail.comEN blog:http://msmvps.com/blogs/luisabreu Luis Abreu: hello. well...

updates, updates, updates
Holy Crap, Batman! You'd think I was running Windows XP and it's patch Tuesday. So far this week - new kernel (2.6.27.10), 2 new browsers (Opera 9.63 and Firefox 3.05) and a new plugin (Flash 10.0.156.3). I'm about ready to try one od the BSD's! vince wrote: > Holy Crap, Batman! You'd think I was running Windows XP and it's patch > Tuesday. > > So far this week - new kernel (2.6.27.10), 2 new browsers (Opera 9.63 > and Firefox 3.05) and a new plugin (Flash 10.0.156.3). I'm about ready > to try one od the BSD's! I take ...

updates, updates, updates
Name: hans jensen Email: hansjensen44_athotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: updates, updates, updates Comments: why is it everytime i go online firefox has new updates, 3 -4 times every day, its never ending..........whats all the problems??? please email me and let me know, ty,.........Hans Jensen Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070219 Firefox/2.0.0.2 ...

Updates Updates Updates
I was a big fan of Firefox.. Now, I don't even like to use it. Seems like every time I start it up I have to update some addin OR the browser itself. And unfortunately the update nag messages are always presented when I start a browsing session. I find this annoying because, typically, when I open a web browser all I want to do is go to a web page. Not update the browser. I can agree that staying current with the latest version could give the best, fastest, safest web experience. But that point becomes mute when I start off every other browsing session with a new update. And mos...

Updates, updates and more updates
Name: pirhan Email: pirhan_chanathotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Updates, updates and more updates Comments: Hello, Normally I use Safari, but my iBook is out of commission for a while. So, I am forced to use a PC to which I would much rather use Firefox than Internet Exploder. However, as much I enjoy not using a Microsoft product, and use a product that works decently, I am severely annoyed about the constant updates I am put through. In the last two days, I had to wait for Firefox to install updates before I could browse and now, I'm alerted that there'...

updates, updates, updates, NO MORE!
Name: Andreas Email: unbekanntatjokerdotms Product: Firefox Summary: updates, updates, updates, NO MORE! Comments: Hi ! if you want to develop a fine webbrowser, maybe you nee a new management. To release a new buggy version every two weeks is not very professional. Test your software before the release and let the user download a stable browser. this update-orgy since 2.0.0 used me to use Opera instead of FF. We haved use FF in our Company, but we can't deploy a new version every week to +200 Windows-clients, so in our company we've decided to return to IE, ...

Updating Data on web page from ActiveX control using VC++ .net MFC
background;  I have built this activex control (VC++ .net MFC using VS2005 .net paltform 2.0) that gathers data from an external device (deviceA).  The device is connect to the pc by USB port.  Getting the data into the activex control is working fine.  However, after I parse the data from the data packets, I need to update 5 fields on the web page. Basic layout of the web page is ActiveX                parentwindow -> frame1 -> frame2 -> fram3 usercontrol The usercontrol is on the web pa...

Why isnt this Datalist Update Control not updating the database?
I m dumbfounded... codes Looks fine to me, yet it isnt getting updated at any cost. no error messages to be raised even. Sub lstEmployee_UpdateCommand(s as object, e as DataListCommandEventArgs) Dim strEmpID as string Dim objConn as OleDBConnection Dim strUpdate as string Dim cmdUpdate as OleDBCommand Dim txtNameF, txtNameL, txtAddress, txtCity, txtPostal, txtState, txtCountry, txtPhone as TextBox strEmpID = lstEmployee.Datakeys(e.Item.ItemIndex) strUpdate = "UPDATE Employees " _ & "SET EmployeeNameF=@NameF, E...

Update not updating database
In my sql server database I am using the detailsview. All my database calls work perfectly (SELECT, INSERT, DELETE) except the update. The update command passes without error but does not change the values in the database. It recognises the new values and the old values but does not change the database values. I am not doing eanything special but using the standard calls with the standard detailsview and everything else works.  Any ideas?   Code below <asp:DetailsView ID="DetailsView1" runat="server" Height="50px" Width="95%" AutoGene...

Updating a .net web page
Hey all,If I create an ASP.net web page,, in C#. and publish it, un-ticking the "Allow this precompiled site to be updateable" (not even sure if this makes a difference to my questions) how do I then create updates for the webpage and install them on the currently published page?For example, I create a asp.net web app for a client and after the original install they require future updates and functionality,, what would be the best way of writing the updates ,compiling them and then installing them on the existing web app.. should I just add the update to the source code and install...

Update Master Page control for child Update Panel

Update content outside update panel in web page
I have a dropdown list in aspx page which is inside update panel. I have a grid on page and it's not within any update panel and I want to referesh content of grid on selection change event of dropdownlist.     there is no way to update contents outside of an update panel.you have to put your grid view inside an updatepanel and call its .update() method each time your dropdown selected index changedHow nice - to feel nothing, and still get full credit for being alive To elaborate on pooya.m's response: You can get rid of the updatepanel around the dropdo...

How to automatic update web form when there is an update action from database?
    Who could show me!I have a web fom that present a table from database, then someone update a record in that table from database throught another web form, I would like to the firts web form auto refresh to synchronizing it's present with the database, so the user don't need to press F5 key (refreshing page)I really need your help!Thank you!thinhhangdieu@yahoo.com...

Web resources about - How do you get Real Time Web Page updates in relation to database updates? - asp.net.presentation-controls

Relation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ternary relation , finitary relation in which the number of places in the relation is three. Ternary relations may also be referred to as 3-adic, ...

Canada-U.S. relations face a suspenseful 2016: Clinton, Rubio, Cruz or Trump?
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will be visiting the White House at a fortuitous moment should he hope to chat with the current U.S. president ...

North Korea's bomb test is imperiling already strained relations with main ally China - CTV News
China sees North Korea's claim to have conducted its first hydrogen bomb test as yet another act of defiance, and will likely retaliate by joining ...

How Public Relations Is Earning Its Place in 2016
Public relations has always played its part in the marketing mix, even if it was added to plans late and rarely recognized like other disciplines. ...

Saudi Arabia cuts diplomatic relations with Iran amid fallout from cleric's execution
... 48 hours to leave the kingdom as escalating tensions over the execution of an outspoken Shiite cleric in Saudi Arabia marked a new low in relations ...

Basketball scoring a point in US-Cuba relations
... ties with Cuba by promoting solidarity through basketball in Havana. Havana, Cuba - People in Cuba have been relishing the easing of relations ...

Saudi Arabia: We want better relations with Russia
Middle Eastern powerhouse Saudi Arabia wants better ties with Russia, a country it sees as a "great power," the Saudi foreign minister told CNBC. ...

Saudi Arabia Spending Millions On Public Relations To Spin Executions And Brutality
The Saudis spend millions for years on public relations – it has been reported they spent over $100 million from 2000 to 2010

BWR Public Relations Hires Edwin Hayfron In New York Talent Office
Edwin Hayfron, formerly senior publicist with Premier PR, has joined BWR Public Relations in the talent office of the company’s New York office, ...

PM Modi's visit has shored up Moscow's insecurities, but a transformation in India-Russia relations awaits ...
On the surface of it, India-Russia relations appear to be cooling: The United States and Israel have dramatically increased weapons sales to ...