How do I extract a single value from a single column in a single row in a dataset?

First of all, thank you to everyone who takes time to answer basic questions in this forum. Your patience is deeply appreciated.

For the past day, I've been trying to figure out how to access a single value in a row of a data set. The data layer tutorials by Scott Mitchell are helpful, but I still can't figure out how to extract a single value without looping through the data set.

By passing a Client_ID to an instance of my data adapter, I am able to return a unique row that contains a column labeled Family_ID. However, I can't figure out how to access the value of that column once it is returned. I know it should look something like this:

 desiredResult.Text = (some dot command for accessing Family_ID column in my adapter)

Can anyone help with the syntax? I have RTFM'd and searched endlessly, and cannot figure out how to pluck out a single value.

Thanks,

Carbonel

0
carbonel