Hiding datagrid column when sum in footer is 0

Hi,

 I am trying to hide every column when the sum in the footer is 0. Here is the code so far. Any ideas as to how this thing could be accomplished?

1    Private Sub dgReport_ItemDataBound(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridItemEventArgs) Handles dgReport.ItemDataBound
2 3 If e.Item.ItemType = ListItemType.Item Or e.Item.ItemType = ListItemType.AlternatingItem Then
4 5 For
i = 3 To e.Item.Cells.Count - 1
6 7 If Trim(e.Item.Cells(i).Text) <> "&nbsp;" Then 8 QuantitySumArray(i) += CInt(e.Item.Cells(i).Text)
9 End If
10 11 Next
12 13 ElseIf
e.Item.ItemType = ListItemType.Footer Then
14 15 For
i = 3 To e.Item.Cells.Count - 1
16 e.Item.Cells(i).Text = QuantitySumArray(i)
17 Next
18 19 End If
20 21 End Sub

Thanks,

Dg

0
dg_102

Hi DG:

May this helps

foreach(DataControlField c in GridView1.Columns)

{
       if(    c.FooterText=="0")
           c.Visible=false;

}

Best Regards,
Sincerely,
Rex Lin
Microsoft Online Community Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with on warranties, and confers no rights.
0
rexlin
9/29/2006 3:15:21 AM

Your code looked like the perfect thing but it just doesn't work. I have placed it in the ItemDataBound call. Here is the code that I have inserted:

1    Dim c As DataGridColumn
2            For Each c In dgReport.Columns
3                Response.Write("test")
4                If c.FooterText = "0" Then
5                    c.Visible = False
6                End If
7            Next
 My guess is that the columns do not exist at the time of the call because even the "test" string isn't printed.
0
dg_102
9/29/2006 1:51:45 PM

I don't know how much data you have, but why not loop through the dataset using a reader, find the columns (fields in the dataset) that will have the sum = 0.  Make a list of which columns you want to hide in an array, then on the databind, loop through the array to hide the columns based on that information.

 Best,

 Jane

jekerry
0
jekerry
9/29/2006 2:32:24 PM

I thought about it but finally I did go into the stored procedure and changed it so that it will return only the relevant columns.

0
dg_102

Sum of datagrid column in footer
I'm trying to total the values of a column in my datagrid and then display that total in the footer of the datagrid. I'm very new to ASP.NET and have looked but not found the answer. I read the article at http://www.extremeexperts.com/Net/Articles/AddingControlstoFooter.aspx but it appeared to be more of a static solution. Any assistance or direction is appreciated. - J Take a look at view post 362074Darren That is the post where I got the referring web site. But, I did not see an example that added the column values. check this one***********************Dinakar NethiLife is shor...

Datagrid(.net 1.1) to GridView(.net 2.0) and using the RowUpdating event how to extract the values from the controls.
Ok  This is the settings: I use a Viewgrid with only itemtemplate colums for example. <asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Test"><ItemTemplate><asp:Label id="LBL_Test" text='<%# DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "Test1") %>' runat="server" meta:resourcekey="LBL_TestResource1"></asp:Label></font></ItemTemplate> <EditItemTemplate><asp:TextBox ID="HDN_Test" Text='<%# DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "Test1") %>' Runat="server" meta:resourcekey="HDN_TestResource1" /></EditItemTemplate></asp:TemplateField>  The ...

How to Displaying the Sum of a Column in the Datagrid Footer
Hi all. Im need Displaying the Sum of a Column in the Datagrid Footer, but the property AutoGenerateColumns is True. ¿How to do This? Thanks to all. Mauricio Villagrán Try this: <asp:label id="lblClaimTotal" runat="server" ></asp:label> <asp:datagrid id="DataGrid1" runat="server" AllowPaging="False" DataKeyField="ID" OnItemDataBound="grid_ItemDataBound" > and in the code behind page 'Routine to highlight selected grid row. And to show total of claim amount colum...

Is it possible to hide some columns of a DataGrid control?
Is it possible to hide some columns of a DataGrid control? Thanks Sure, somewhere after the DataGrid has been bound as this control has no DataBound event, simply set the visibility of your column to false like so: DataGrid1.Columns[0].Visible = false This of course would hide the first column in your DataGrid.Thanks, EdMicrosoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET...

Summing up columns in footer of Data Grid Control
I'm trying to sum up the values from the collumns that i have in a certain data grid. I have 2 options: 1. I have a stored proc that I have written that can sum up the values (how can I place the values from that stored proc into the footer of a particluar Data grid). 2.  How can i sum up the values from w/n the data grid.  (from the ItemDataBind).   Examples from either is greatly appricated: Thanks in advance everyone. Regards, RB    check this ***********************Dinakar NethiLife is short. Enjoy it.*********************** Thanks for poin...

Footer Disappears When DataGrid Columns[0].Visible Is Set To False
Hello all, I have a datagrid with an Edit Column (column[0]), a boundcolumn (column[1]), and a button column (column[2]). Additionally, I have a method that creates dynamic hyperlinks in the datagrid footer when event OnItemCreated is fired. After the event is fired, I check the user's security role and if the user does not have appropriate permissions, I make column[0] and column[2] visible attribute false. When column[0].visible attribute is false, the datagrid footer disappears. Any suggestions on how to get around the footer disappearing. I want to keep the column positions w...

datagrid with columns return columns count 0
hello, i have a datagrid that the columns are build in the code behind. when i do datagrid.Columns.Count it returns 0. why is that? thank you....

How to display the sum of a column at the footor of the datagrid column
HI, Any idea how I can display the Sum of any column at the Footor of that Column. HighOnCodingWanna get high! Hi, Take a look @ Displaying Column Summary Information in the Footer HTH K B ShajudeenAreYaar.comDubai, United Arab Emirates....

How to display column total of numeric columns in the datagrid footer
I able to connect Datagrid control to ADO.Net for pulling data. But I can not able to display total of a numeric field column in the Datagrid footer. Is it possible? How? Please tell me any one. Hi, please read up Displaying Column Summary Information in the Footer and HOW TO: Create a Summary Row for a DataGrid in ASP.NETHope this helps..Alvin ChooiMicrosoft ASP.NET™ Enthusiast v1.1 / v2.0, Malaysia Blog : http://alvinzc.blogspot.com...

display the sum of two datagrid columns into third column
hi... there..     i have a datagrid with columns named Price ,Quantity and total. now in the total column i  wanna display the prices which comes by multiplyiing the price and quantity (like  total=Price * quantity). I'm workin in asp.net +vb.net.                     may i knw hw can i do this.. plz write the code.. thanks.         Hi, do like this..suppose u have,        string ProductPrice = ...

How to place a DataGrid Control with in a DataGrid Control
Hi, I want to place a DataGrid control in a DataGrid control can any one plz tell me the procedure to place the control Thanks in Advance Krisamigo <!---<asp:DataGrid ID=dg_List runat=server><Columns><asp:TemplateColumn><ItemTemplate><asp:DataGrid ID=dg_List2 Runat=server></asp:DataGrid> </ItemTemplate> </asp:TemplateColumn> </Columns> </asp:DataGrid> ---> Hardik Joshi...

How to validate controls on a .NET 2.0 Web user Control
Hi Guys, (ASP.NET 2.0 / C#) I've looked thorugh every post on validating web user controls (and know about Pter Blum's Professional Validation and More package) - but can't seem to get my head around whre to start. I have a web user control, called wucICL.ascx on a we page called AddEditInvestment.aspx.  I would like to validate a couple of DropDownLists (ddlAccounts and ddlContacts) when the Insert and Update buttons are clicked on the AddEdit Investment page. The other controls on the AddEditInvestments page belong to a validation group called All Validators and the DropDownL...

Web resources about - Hiding datagrid column when sum in footer is 0 - asp.net.presentation-controls

Mad King DataGrid

Stack Overflow

Quick Answers - CodeProject