Handling DBNull Values in DropDownList Selected Value

I have a dropdown list inside a formview that is used to update a business opportunities table. Each opportunity may or may not have a salesperson assigned. On the update page I want to set the current value in the database as the selected value in the dropdown list. But if there is no salesperson assigned i need to handle the dbnull value and not try to set the selected value. Can someone give me some pointers? Should i handle this in the Formview_databinding event or in the Datasource for the opportunity Databinding event? How do i get at the cell of the datasource that i need to test for null? Items in red are where i am struggling.

Protected Sub EditCompanyForm_DataBinding(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles EditCompanyForm.DataBinding

If Not IsDBNull(RovabioCompany.????) Then

Dim ResponsibilityDDL As DropDownList

ResponsibilityDDL = CType(EditCompanyForm.FindControl("ResponsibilityDDL"), DropDownList)

ResponsibilityDDL.SelectedValue = RovabioCompany.Salesperson

End
If

End Sub

0
Kevin

Any suggestions? Surely there is a way to handle the null values.
0
Kevin

How Select one dropdownlist value using down arrows corresponding other dropdownlist value are select
I am using two dropdownlist box.One is used for country selection. other one is used for state selection.I am using dropdown selectedindexchanged event. when i click country dropdownlist corresponding state is selected in state dropdownlist box. How select the country in country dropdownlist using down arrow keys at the same time corresponding state is select in state dropdown list.R.Karthikeyan   kartmca: How select the country in country dropdownlist using down arrow keys at the same time corresponding state is select in state dropdown list.Generally, we don't implmenet...

DropDownList selected value determines value of second DropDownList
I have a quick question that I'm sure has been addressed before, but I can't seem to find a solution. I have two drop down list fields: startTime and endTime coded as such: <asp:DropDownList id="startTime" runat="server"> <asp:ListItem Value="00:00">12:00 A.M.</asp:ListItem> <asp:ListItem Value="00:30">12:30 A.M.</asp:ListItem> <asp:ListItem Value="01:00">1:00 A.M.</asp:ListItem> <asp:ListItem Value="...

when loading a previously created record on to form, some controls are missing values(controls are depended on values selected in other controls)
Hello - I have created a page for Editing records.  this page will open up a chosen record and allow user to edit the data.On the form, I have 3 drop down lists.   The second dropdown list should fill values depending on value chosen in first dropdown list.  The third dropdown list should show/fill values depending on value chosen in second dropdown list.So taking this into count, i have several records with various data.  When I open-up/load a record in Edit form, only the first dropdown list has a value selected that was the pre-existing va...

dropdownlist's selected index value is not printing the selected value
Here iS my code .Aspx Page <asp:DropDownList ID="ddlkeyword" runat="server" Width="204px" DataTextField="Form" DataValueField="Form" OnSelectedIndexChanged="ddlkeyword_SelectedIndexChanged" >   </asp:DropDownList> <asp:Button ID="Button1" runat="server" Text="Submit" Width="110px" OnClick="Button1_Click" /> my aspx.cs protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e) { fillddlkeyword(); }protected void Page_Init(object sender, EventArgs e) { ...

Setting a label value to a dropdownlist selected value
I am trying to set the value of a label to the selected value from a hidden dropdown list. This code is not working and the label value remians at its default. Any ideas? Thanks very much. Protected Sub DetailsView1_DataBound(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Dim mylabel As Label Dim myddl As DropDownList If (DetailsView1.CurrentMode = DetailsViewMode.ReadOnly) Then mylabel = DetailsView1.FindControl("Label1") myddl = DetailsView1.FindControl("DropDownListViewOffice") mylabel.Text = myddl.SelectedValue.ToString End If I have now put this code in the Page_Load su...

DropDownList value selected base on database value?
Hi, is there anyway how I can allow my dropdownlist (on pageload event) to select the value base on the value found in the database, in addition I also want the dropdownlist to contain other values too however the selectedValue must be the one found in the database. Sorry if it sounds confusing. I'm using VB.NET 2003 with ASP.NET Thanks. Hi,Whatever you want to get selected for your dropdown use following code.if(dropdownid.items.findbyvalue("value") != null){    dropdownid.items.selecteditem = false;    dropdownid.items.findbyvalue("value").selected = t...

Control.Value and Control.SelectedItem.Value
Can someone explain to me the difference between say, Dropdownlist.SelectedItem.Value and Dropdownlist.SelectedValue?? Just curious, Thanks!Tim These are going to return the same thing. dropdownlist.selectedvalue is a shortcut to get the currently selected value in the dropdown. If that is all you want then you can just use that. If you want to access the currently selected item you can use dropdownlist.selecteditem and that return the item and you can then access any of the item's properties, including in this case the value property. If this post answered your question please r...

how can i Fill the controls on web page by selecting value from dropdownlist control.
  Hi,  Currentlly i am working on a web application where i require to fill the web form with the selected item in a text box. for example i have dropdown control named supplier_name, and i want to fill all the other controls values from database on the form when i select name from that supplier_name box,i.e , if i select name1, then related to that name, its code,address ,city should appear on related text boxes. I have done the same in windows application with c# , but the problem with web application(asp.net) is that, when i select Supplier _ it...

Select dropdownlist control value
Hi, I have created a dropdownlist dynamically and populated it with numbers from 1 to 10. I also have a submit button on my page which when clicked is supposed to get the number I have selected in my dropdownlist. But this does not happen. It keeps returning 1 even if I select 4. I'm guessing whenever the page is loaded the dropdownlist is being created again and hence it selects the first number which is 1. Can anyone tell me how to solve this problem? How do I get the value of the number I have selected from a dropdownlist which is created dynamically? Thanks in advance for ...

Text value not changing when new value on DropDownList selected
Hi, I am looking for assistance on how to correctly post events when a new item is selected on a drop down list. My drop down list has autopostback enabled and a sub routine associated with SelectedIndexChanged. This routine is activated when another entry in the drop down list is selected, however, the value is not changed and the drop down list returns to the originally selected value. For example, if I have 2 values in my drop down list, 0 and 1, and 0 is the currently selected value. Selecting 1 will trigger the event but the drop down list will return to displaying 0 as the selected ...

dropdownlist
i have created a dropdown list that is populated from a sqlserver datasource. i have a separate sql command which uses the dropdownlist.selected value as a parameter and returns the command value to a label.  it mostly works fine but with one problem. when the page loads, the label value is null, because it doesn't seem to treat the dropdownlist default value as a selected value. when i use the dropdownlist to select a value, this is fine and the label begins to display the expected value. is there anyway I can make the default value when the page is loaded act like a manual...

Based on selected value from HTML.Dropdownlist, the values to be fetched
Hi,  I'm using Html.DropDownList.  When selection within this box changes, I need to retrieve the values from table based on the selected id(datavaluefield) of dropdownlist. Here my code ViewPost.cs viewpage <%=Html.DropDownList("CategoryID",ViewData["CategoryID"])%>  ---- based on selected value from the user the below table should fetch the value the db <table>        <tr>                   ...

Looking for a control which can select a value or input a value
As I knew, dropdown list can only allow user to select a value. Is there any control let user to select a value or input a value? it depends on your requirement ... you will have to create a custom control ..what are you trying to do ? Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post if this answer helps you.Abdulla AbdelHaqMCTS, MCPDHow to ask a question What I need is to list about 15 items to let user select. Also, user can input a item which is not under list.  so .. what is the problem of using textbox and listbox ?or gridview control, use the insert mode and create a ...

Web resources about - Handling DBNull Values in DropDownList Selected Value - asp.net.presentation-controls

Tag Synonyms - Stack Overflow

Air Astana - Join Now

Blog - Avisra

Online Booking Tool Support