freeze the header row of datagrid for dynamically generated columns

Hi Everyone ... I have a dynamically generated datagrid populated using the results of an Oracle Stored Procedure. When I say "dynamically generated" I mean that dependent on the results from the database this will build the datagrid which can have varying number of columns, column headers, column types, etc ... I have sucessfully been able to program this using a DataView Object which has allows bi-directional column sorting and pagination. However, I am in a position where the database can return a vast amount of information, different people will use different hardware and thus these are only 2 factors which will affect the visual appearance of my datagrid. Therefore I am seeking help, advise, information on how I might go about "freezing" the header row of my datagrid. I have searched online and seen information about using an HTML table for the header however due to the dynamic generation and sorting functionalities this is not an option for me. Any information would be excellent (and please my boss) .... waiting in antipitation. Many many thanks nitin.kankrej@emerson.com
0
nkankrej

Hi nkankrej,

Many samples on Internet:

http://kjellsj.blogspot.com/2005/04/fixed-header-in-aspnet-datagrid.html

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/webforms/ScrollingGrid.aspx

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/webforms/FreezePaneDatagrid.aspx

Thanks,

Qin Dian Tang
Microsoft Online Community Support

Qin

how to freeze the datagrid header and how to freeze the datagrid first column
please tell me in detail how could i freeze datagrid header and datagrid first column. as a result when user scroll upward or downward then then datagrid header will be fixed.please help me with source code. Hi, I already gave the answer here: view post 624500. Grz, Kris.Read my blog. Handy Firefox plugins for web developers.Workaround for non working Mark as answer buttons....

Dynamic Row, Column & TextBox Control In Datagrid....
Hi,I have to create a  datagrid for my aspx page. The datagrid columns and rows are determined at run time. Even the column name is not a constant ones. I got the solution for column and rows. But now I want to add a text box control for each column and each row of the grid. How can I do it dynamically?Thanks & Regards,KK hello you can use template column anytime Yeah, thats what I'm trying out... But I'm not getting some good pointers on how to do it. The other problem for me is I want to add a column to a datagrid which is not bound to any columns...It will ...

Freezing the column header row of a GridView control using CSS
I am struggling getting my Gridview in ASP.NET 2.0 Visual Studio 2005 to freeze the column header row and provide for scrolling of the remaining data rows. My specific problems right now are: (IE7) column headers freeze as intended and do not scroll  BUT scroll bar is not initially visible to user (requires scrolling with mouse wheel before scroll bars are exposed in gridview) (Firefox 2.0.10) column header row just scrolls out of sight like any other row  Here is part of my default.css in my default App_Theme folder: /* So the overflow scrolls */ div.coveragesContainer ...

generating and populating datagrid columns and rows dynamically from a stored procedure
Do you know if it s possible to: from a stored procedure, get all the returned columns and build the datagrid clumns accodinally (each column returned by the Stored Procedure will correspond to a column of the asp.net datagrid column) so that we can populate the datagrid after with the resuling resultse from the SP.Thanks a lot, I appreciate your taking the time to help me. yes, you can do that. Get the result of your stored procedure into say " datatable or object " something like that .Then attach the datagrid datasource to this. ...

Datagrid: Add a Main header row, above the column headers
Is this possible?  How is this done? -smc~ Remember To Mark The Posts Which Helped You As The ANSWER ~ Yes...Handle the ItemCreated event.  I have a sample using the GridView that can give you the idea http://www.webswapp.com/codesamples/aspnet20/nestedgridviews/default.aspxHTH,Phillip Williams,http://www.webswapp.com Do you have any examples using DataGrid in VB? Can the Header be displayed above the column headers?  -smc~ Remember To Mark The Posts Which Helped You As The ANSWER ~ http://www.societopia.net/samples/dataGrid_customheader.aspxHTH,Phillip Williams,http:...

data presenttion with dynamic header and columns also fliping rows/columns
 I have to data in data set in the form  CustomerName , dateof theWeek abc                    1 januaryabc1                    1 januaryxyz                     1 january dfg                       2 januaryhsg            &nb...

DataGrid Sort Command not firing when boundcolumns generated dynamically in a USER CONTROL containing DataGrid
Dear All,I'm developing a USER CONTROL where the datagrid's sortcommand event never fires after dynamically generating bound columns in the datagrid and setting AutoGenerateColumns=false My container page is here:- <%@ Page Trace="true" language="c#" Codebehind="default.aspx.cs" AutoEventWireup="false" Inherits="RNDApplication._default" %><%@Register TagPrefix="MyControl" TagName="DG" src="DG1.ascx"%><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN" ><HTML><HEAD><title>default</title><meta name="GENERATOR" Content="Microsoft Visual S...

DataGrid Freeze Header and column
  Hi, May i know still have any method can be use to do it, if i want freeze the datagrid header and the first column without using CSS and javascript. Someone please suggest it. I am using ASP.net(vb code) 2005 is it got this posibilities? i wish to make like window form datagridview alvinblim:   Hi, May i know still have any method can be use to do it, if i want freeze the datagrid header and the first column without using CSS and javascript. Someone please suggest it. I am using ASP.net(vb code) 2005 if ure using 2005 then use gridview. u can even find that "d...

Dynamically generating column headers
Hi, Does anyone know how to generate column headers for output based on the SQL. my $sth = $dbh->prepare("SELECT field1, field2 FROM table1"); $sth->execute; print $headers ## how would I do this based on the fields returned?? while ( my $rec = $sth->fetchrow_arrayref ){ print join(", ", @{ $rec } ), $/; } Thanks, Ian On Tue, 21 May 2002 10:34:04 -0600 Ian Harisay <imharisa@nuskin.com> wrote: > Hi, > Does anyone know how to generate column headers for output based on the > SQL. It's in the fine manual. Run 'p...

Freezing Columns and Headers in Datagrid
Hi,   Can any one help me with the code with which we can freeze the first column and the Header Row of Datagrid Control in ASP.net   Thanks in advance... Hope this can be helpful. http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/FreezeHeader.asp...

Should I use DataGrid(add dynamic control) or just dynamic control?
Hi, I am debating between using just dynamic control's or actually adding the control's dynamically into a datagrid.  I have tried with just adding dynamically, but I am having so much trouble because the selectedindexchanged even it firing for no reason.  I have asked a lot of people, but nobody knows the answer for that and I searched in the web and I am not getting anything either. Now someone suggested to use DataGrid and add the control's dynamically.  In each row, I have a dynamic column, which could be 2 and above.  It will depends on a number that I get fromt he ...

Freeze Column Headers in gridview controls?
Is there a way to freeze the column header row in a gridview control?I am displaying a large table, so the users have to scroll sideways and up and down. I tried to improve this by putting the gridview in a panel, so they can scroll using the panel's scroll buttons and I am able to specify the size of the display. However, if the users scroll down, they loose the name of the columns. Orlando. Here is a way: http://web.tampabay.rr.com/bmerkey/examples/locked-column-csv.htmlSteve Wellens My blog Thank you for that information. It's what I need, but I need to apply this to a gridview, ...

Dynamically adding columns with controls to a Datagrid
Hi all, I want to dynmically add rows and columns to a datagrid and also add controls(Textbox, dropdowns, etc) to the dynamically created cells. Please help with example codes. regards Subhajit Hi, Take a look @ : - Creating Controls Dynamically in ASP.NET - Creating DataGrid Programmatically - Creating DataGrid Templated Columns Dynamically HTHK B ShajudeenAreYaar.comDubai, United Arab Emirates....

How to retrieve controls in column header of a DataGrid?
I have controls in column header of a my DataGrid control grdDocumentDate. I use grdDocumentDate.FindControl() to look for the controls in column header but could not get them. Is there any way to solve the problem? ImageButton ib = (ImageButton)grdDocumentDate.FindControl("ibDocDate");ib always returns null.<asp:datagrid id="grdDocumentDate" style="Z-INDEX: 118; LEFT: 24px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 176px" runat="server" BorderWidth="0px" AllowSorting="True" AutoGenerateColumns="False" OnItemCommand="ShowMoreDetailsCommand" BackColor="Silver"    Width="704px"> ...

Web resources about - freeze the header row of datagrid for dynamically generated columns - asp.net.presentation-controls