Forms or No Forms

Hope this isn't a repeat.  I looked and didn't find anything.

Say for example you had a web page with around 20 fields retrive and update to a database with differing datatypes.  Some fields will have some special controls (dropdowns, radios, buttons, etc) that interact with other parts of the page.  What is the best and/or most efficient code to make the page.

Would you use a Formview bound to a standard ADO.net SQL connection and edit the templates.

Use a Formview bound to an Object Data Source and edit within the templates.

Or use an Object Data Source and bind the results strait to controls on the page, without a Formview.

They all seem to have their pros and cons, but in general what should you choose.  I am proficient in either/all and they all seem to be about the same amount of work in the end.  Any suggestions or information.

Thank you.

0
dcpeterson

In FormView you can convert the field to template and databind it to special controls (dropdowns, radios, buttons, etc) .

http://quickstarts.asp.net/QuickStartv20/aspnet/doc/ctrlref/data/formview.aspx

NOTE:If you find my response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site, I am providing this information as a convenience to you.Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore,Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality,safety, or suitability of any software or information found there.

Sincerely,
Young Fang
Microsoft Online Community Support

Young

non .net form issue within a .net form tag

control on normal form and Content form
Hi MyControl MyObj = (MyControl)this.FindControl("myCtrl1"); When i use this line on normal form that has myCtrl1 it works perfectly But when i use it on a Content form this line does not work !!! although i copied everything from the normal form but still does not work any idea?! thanks   Hi There, I've posted a scenario similar to yours. Have you look hereL http://forums.asp.net/p/1130228/1791290.aspx#1791290 Please let me know if this is not working for you.DC517Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. This credits tha...

Form.ActiveControl Shows Controls From Other Forms
Using D2010, I went to set the ActiveControl of a form. I was suprised to see in the drop down list -- all the controls from itself, plus the other forms that it could see (units listed in implementation uses clause). Is this "feature" intentional to allow other forms to be docked, or is it a bug? Loren sZendre ...

Solution for web forms that look just like paper forms ? User controls ? Adobe fillable forms ?
 I am looking at ways to web-enable a series of company forms that need to have the form itself look just like the paper version.  It would be great if I could use an image of the form itself as a background, and then draw the UI components on top of this.  Then there is the question of printing these forms complete with the data that was filled in.   What are some options for doing this kind of application ?  Im open to 3rd party solutions as well.  Our company currently has a desktop application which does this, but I want to come up with a web based solu...

using a .Net Control as activex control in VCL form
Hi , We have a to integrate a simple .Dot CSharp control which needs to be integrated into bcb2010 VCL form as a control. We will place the control on the VCL form along with other VCL controls's. I tried creating a simple .net control using a lable+textbox and trying to use in vcl form. I have made the assembly comvisible and generated tlb files and .bpl for the component. I could see the component in "ActiveX" tool palette. But when I drag the object onto VCL form and try to access its attributes I run into problems. I am not able to see .net control on the vcl at runti...

add window form control on web form
i want to add windows from control link label on web from .what should i do?  saurabhiP:i want to add windows from control link label on web from . Windows form controls are for windows application and should not be used on web forms.You want a link label which is the same as a hyperlink in ASP.NET so use that instead.  saurabhiP:i want to add windows from control link label on web from .what should i do?  Hi saurabhiP,Base on my understanding, you want to use windows control to web form. But base on my experience, there are many issues! Check the following l...

Access forms vs vb.net forms
I have to do an windows application for an access database, which currently had access forms. I am trying to convince doing it in vb.net. I know I can do much better froms or front end with VB.net. I am not sure how to convince my boss or client. Thanks If you want info on Windows Applications try www.windowsforms.net. Here's how to convince them, if they are tight about money: vb.net = Only need one license, for you the programmer, which you may already have access = need an access license for every person that uses the program (shush, don't tell them about access runtime) I...

Altering a GDI image on a form through controls on that form.
I hope I can make it clear what I am trying to do: 1) I have written a class called clsLineGraph.vb. The class works as I want it to so that's not the problem. 2) I have a form called linegraph.aspx(.vb) that creates an instance of the linegraph class in the Page_Load method. Also included in the page load method are calls to the methods within the clsLineGraph class that are associated with my clsLineGraph object. I can pass data through linegraph.aspx(.vb) to the class without any problems. Also in the Page_Load method are the following: Response.ContentType = "image/jp...

Help to hide form controls in Form View
Ok I am sure this is a basic question, hopefully you can help me... Here is the scenario:  Using master content pages I have a form in a content page that submits data to a database which all works just fine, but I want to customize the form for the user depending on the options they make. The first control is a dropdownbox and I want to hide certain text fields depending on the selection they make. How do I reference the controls inside the formview.  Normally I would just use CSS and set the visibility or display to none but when I try to reference the control by ID i...

form action when dynamically create form control
Hi, When I use <asp:literal> in my form and render it as a iframe during runtime,everything is fine except it always automatically add action attribute to the form and set the attribute's value to the iframe src attribute.How can I remove(avoid) this action attribute being generate because it causes some weird problem.Thanks Hi there, Can you post a code sample of what's going on? I'm not following where the action attribute comes into play here. Thanks.--Brian DesmondWindows Server MVP - Directory Serviceshttp://www.briandesmond.com In the pageload,I have the following code:...

windows forms in vb .net into web forms

Insert form without using form control
Hi I would like to build a form without using a form control ie, formview, gridview, detailsview.  With the following code I don't get an error message but when I hit the form button the record doesn't get inserted into my table.  Is there code that I have to add to my code behind maybe on the button click event that I have to add to insert the record?  <%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="InsertForm.aspx.cs" Inherits="InsertForm" %><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" ...

Web resources about - Forms or No Forms - asp.net.presentation-controls

Form - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Form is the shape , visual appearance , constitution or configuration of an object. In a wider sense, the form is the way something is or happens, ...

Saudi Arabia forms Muslim 'anti-terrorism' coalition
Alliance includes 34 mainly Muslim states but excludes regional rival Iran as well as Iraq and Syria.

Saudi Forms Islamic Anti-'Terrorist' Coalition - Al Jazeera America
A total of 34 Muslim nations are part of the new coalition, but details of its scope and structure are for now scant

Uber and Lyft drivers can now form unions in Seattle
Filed under: Government/Legal , Green , UAW/Unions , Smartphone , Technology The Seattle City Council voted unanimously to allow drivers for ...

Islamic Countries Form First Coalition to Battle Terrorism
A coalition of Muslim nations will form a joint operations room in Riyadh to combat terrorism in Islamic countries, in the first coordinated ...

members of Midlake, Band of Horses, Grandaddy, Travis & Franz Ferdinand form supergroup Banquet, debut ...
Midlake: half of these guys are in Banquet Jason Lytle is a busy guy. In addition to the new Grandaddy record that's being recorded currently, ...

Saudi Arabia forms Islamic counterterrorism coalition
Announcement comes as Saudis lead a military intervention in Yemen against Shiite rebels

Islamic nations form coalition to fight terror, call Muslim extremism 'disease'
NDTV Islamic nations form coalition to fight terror, call Muslim extremism 'disease' CNN (CNN) Calling Islamic extremism a disease, Saudi ...

34 Islamic nations form coalition to fight terrorism - CNN.com
Calling Islamic extremism a disease, Saudi Arabia has announced the formation of a coalition of 34 Muslim nations to fight terrorism.

Former NBA Star Thinks Making It Rain At The Strip Club Is A Form Of Charity
Former NBA Star Thinks Making It Rain At The Strip Club Is A Form Of Charity