 HI . I have a dropdownlist. Databinds ok but when I must pass a value as a Selected value it always passes the first value in the list even if I select another value. I tried to set the ddl to enableviewstate false but it doesn't change anything. Any ideas ?

Code below, thanks

      productCategories = CatalogAdmin.Admin_Product_Categories_NotIn(productId);
        for (int i = 0; i < productCategories.Rows.Count; i++)
        {
            // obtain category id and name
            categoryId = productCategories.Rows[i]["CategoryId"].ToString();
            categoryName = productCategories.Rows[i]["Name"].ToString();
            // populate the list boxes
            categoriesListAssign.Items.Add(new ListItem(categoryName, categoryId));
        }

  ddl button click

    protected void assignButton_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
            //Request the product ID from the query string
            string productId = Request.QueryString["ID"];
            // Get the category ID that was selected in the DropDownList
            string categoryId = categoriesListAssign.SelectedItem.Value;
            // Assign the product to the category
            bool success = CatalogAdmin.Admin_Product_AssignToCategory(productId, categoryId);
            // Display status message
            statusLabel.Text = success ? "Product assigned successfully" : "Product assignation failed";
   }

ddl on the page:

Assign product to this category:
    <asp:DropDownList ID="categoriesListAssign" runat="server" />
    <asp:Button ID="assignButton" runat="server" OnClick="assignButton_Click" Text="Go!" />

0
Sleb

Sleb,

Are you sure your first item isn't selected?  SelectedItem.Value will return the lowest indexed selected item. In your first code (Loading the dll...), are you doing that stuff during page_load?  If so, make sure it is only being done on the first page_load by checking the IsPostBack property.

ToxicShock
0
ToxicShock
4/20/2007 10:05:51 PM

try this instead

            // Get the category ID that was selected in the DropDownList
            string categoryId = categoriesListAssign.SelectedItem;

Muhammad Arsalan Ayub
MVP ASP.NET Visual Developmnet
User Group Leader DotNetOlympians

MyBlog
0
arsalan
4/20/2007 10:06:54 PM
ToxicShock:
Sleb,

Are you sure your first item isn't selected?  SelectedItem.Value will return the lowest indexed selected item. In your first code (Loading the dll...), are you doing that stuff during page_load?  If so, make sure it is only being done on the first page_load by checking the IsPostBack property.

Thanks the IsPostBack  was missing.

0
Sleb

How Select one dropdownlist value using down arrows corresponding other dropdownlist value are select
I am using two dropdownlist box.One is used for country selection. other one is used for state selection.I am using dropdown selectedindexchanged event. when i click country dropdownlist corresponding state is selected in state dropdownlist box. How select the country in country dropdownlist using down arrow keys at the same time corresponding state is select in state dropdown list.R.Karthikeyan   kartmca: How select the country in country dropdownlist using down arrow keys at the same time corresponding state is select in state dropdown list.Generally, we don't implmenet...

Selected value in select list with javascript based off value in database
 I've got a classic asp page with a select list. I need the select list's selected value to be whatever the user selected when they created their account. I've been trying to use <body onLoad="onLoad();"> to call my function, and then I'm trying to specify which value should be selected in the function. Also, when the select list selected values change, there is a javascript function I call to disable text boxes. I think there is an issue with my javascript function, and I can't find any examples of this from good ole' google.  My j...

DropDown list submits first value not the selected value
I am relatively new to programming and am having a problem with a small project that I am working on.  I have a names drop down list that is created from a database.  When the user selects a name and completes the rest of the form and clicks submit.  All of the data they entered is submitted to a different table in that database.  This is workign correctly for all of the data except the drop down.  For some reason the first value in the drop down is being submitted each time.  Here is the code and any help you can give will be appreciated. Public Class final1 ...

dropdownlist's selected index value is not printing the selected value
Here iS my code .Aspx Page <asp:DropDownList ID="ddlkeyword" runat="server" Width="204px" DataTextField="Form" DataValueField="Form" OnSelectedIndexChanged="ddlkeyword_SelectedIndexChanged" >   </asp:DropDownList> <asp:Button ID="Button1" runat="server" Text="Submit" Width="110px" OnClick="Button1_Click" /> my aspx.cs protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e) { fillddlkeyword(); }protected void Page_Init(object sender, EventArgs e) { ...

On selecting value in second listbox. selected value in first textbox is lost
     Hello all, In a webapplication , I have to store the selected values in hidden fields with following code  <INPUT type="hidden" name="hidPatient" value=""> <INPUT type="hidden" name="hidPatientStatus" value="">  when i select the value in any list box following javascript function is called with this code   Response.Write "<SELECT id=" & strSelName & " name=" & strSelName & " validation=" & strValidation & " ...

Dynamic dropdownlist is always returning the first value, not the selected value!
Hello guys,  this is my first time posting a question. I am very very frustrated and depressed because of my project, i hope someone can help.   I created two dropdownlists. When you select an item on the first (static) dropdownlist, the second dropdownlist will connect to the database and retrieve records according to the selected item on the first. When you select an item on the second (dynamic) dropdownlist, it's supposed to return the selected value. But for some reason, it's always returning the first value and not the selected one. Here's the simple yet frustr...

DropDownList selected value determines value of second DropDownList
I have a quick question that I'm sure has been addressed before, but I can't seem to find a solution. I have two drop down list fields: startTime and endTime coded as such: <asp:DropDownList id="startTime" runat="server"> <asp:ListItem Value="00:00">12:00 A.M.</asp:ListItem> <asp:ListItem Value="00:30">12:30 A.M.</asp:ListItem> <asp:ListItem Value="01:00">1:00 A.M.</asp:ListItem> <asp:ListItem Value="...

HTML.select (UI helper) how to build a select list with value not equal to the display value
Hi Guys, I have a newbie question on HTML.select (UI helper). One of the tutorial I have come across shows the following: "string [] SelectList = new string[]{'Apple', 'Orange','Mango','Banana'};" "Html.Select('FruitList',SelectList)" it will give me:value = "Apple"  "Apple " However, I would like to have the following instead: value = "1"  "Apple " What should I do on the VIEW in order to achieve this? thx, George what you need to do is create a collection to use for your data sou...

Drop down list control values OK but not showing selected value on UI
 Hi, I am having trouble with the following: ddlIndustry.Items.FindByText(oReader["industry"].ToString()).Selected = true;  I am trying to get the ddlIndustry drop down list to bind to a specific product industry got from a database like say "Agriculture". Even when i assign a hardwired and existent value like "Agriculture" as from the database,  the Selected value or text does change from initial option from the list with (this I verified in Debug mode) but when the page is generated, the Drop down list maintains value 0 and text "--select one --". Is there something i am...

I want to display textbox on changing value of dropdownlist or selected value of dropdown list.How could i?
for example i have taken field PF%,PF($)  in dropdown.Onselected value of % i will show textbox.In which u can fill  the value of PF% based on that calulation will be shown in other textbox. But how can i do thta? Not too sure I undertand your question, but if you want to show/hide elements here's a few things you might want to try: You can set the dropdown's autopostback to true and perform all sorts of wonderful serverside stuff, including adding a textbox control (with a certain value) to a container div. If you want to keep things light then use some CSS and ...

Sending email uses the first value in drop down list instead of value selected by the user
I have a web form with a dropdownbox, when the user clicks submit, I insert into a database, and send an email confirmation.  But, I can't get the value the user selects for the dropdownbox.  Instead, it's always the first value in the dynamic drop down box.   Here's the code for the part of the email where I'm trying to get the text associated with the value they select from the drop down list.  Any ideas why I always get the first value in the drop down list for RequestingAttorney?  sString += "Type of search:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb...

Handling DBNull Values in DropDownList Selected Value
I have a dropdown list inside a formview that is used to update a business opportunities table. Each opportunity may or may not have a salesperson assigned. On the update page I want to set the current value in the database as the selected value in the dropdown list. But if there is no salesperson assigned i need to handle the dbnull value and not try to set the selected value. Can someone give me some pointers? Should i handle this in the Formview_databinding event or in the Datasource for the opportunity Databinding event? How do i get at the cell of the datasource that i need to test for ...

DROPDOWNLIST DOES NOT SELECT THE SELECTED VALUE
Hi all, i am using C# , asp.net vs2005. ajax 1.0 i am populating data programitically . when i select first value, dropdown control select the same. when i select second value ,dropdownlist select second value too But i does not continue  from third value onward . when i select third value, dropdownlist control select second value then after behavior reman the same no matter what i select dropdownlist control select second value ONLY.<asp:DropDownList id="Ddlzse" runat="server" Width="165px" Font-Bold="False" Fo...

adding values to the selected value in Dropdown list
 Hi,   I have dropdown box in my page which have some value inherted from the another list box in my page..Now in my second page , i have dropdown box with values and text value and list box... I'll be selecting the one value from the dropdown then i enter the value in text box and click on add button which will add the value in the list box like this i can able to add many value...now if i click on save button for the selected dropdpown item the added values in the listbox should be saved ...like this i add many values for many dropdown item and saved respectivelynow if c...

when loading a previously created record on to form, some controls are missing values(controls are depended on values selected in other controls)
Hello - I have created a page for Editing records.  this page will open up a chosen record and allow user to edit the data.On the form, I have 3 drop down lists.   The second dropdown list should fill values depending on value chosen in first dropdown list.  The third dropdown list should show/fill values depending on value chosen in second dropdown list.So taking this into count, i have several records with various data.  When I open-up/load a record in Edit form, only the first dropdown list has a value selected that was the pre-existing va...

DropDownList value selected base on database value?
Hi, is there anyway how I can allow my dropdownlist (on pageload event) to select the value base on the value found in the database, in addition I also want the dropdownlist to contain other values too however the selectedValue must be the one found in the database. Sorry if it sounds confusing. I'm using VB.NET 2003 with ASP.NET Thanks. Hi,Whatever you want to get selected for your dropdown use following code.if(dropdownid.items.findbyvalue("value") != null){    dropdownid.items.selecteditem = false;    dropdownid.items.findbyvalue("value").selected = t...

Setting a label value to a dropdownlist selected value
I am trying to set the value of a label to the selected value from a hidden dropdown list. This code is not working and the label value remians at its default. Any ideas? Thanks very much. Protected Sub DetailsView1_DataBound(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Dim mylabel As Label Dim myddl As DropDownList If (DetailsView1.CurrentMode = DetailsViewMode.ReadOnly) Then mylabel = DetailsView1.FindControl("Label1") myddl = DetailsView1.FindControl("DropDownListViewOffice") mylabel.Text = myddl.SelectedValue.ToString End If I have now put this code in the Page_Load su...

Cascading Dropdown - Initially selected value
Hi there, I am having an issue with a pretty basic problem. I have managed to get the cascading drop down lists working ok with information coming from a database. On the initial page, I need to have a value in the drop down list already selected, i.e. the current year in one drop down and current month in the next. The information from both of these is sent to a query to output a datatable. Can anyone help with this? I'm not sure I understand the scenario, but I think the new CascadingDropDownNameValue(..., defaultValue) constructor may be just what you're looking for. (First available ...

User Control DropDownList Selected Value Not Passed
Edited by SomeNewKid. Please post code between <code> and </code> tags. Hi, I'm using C#. I have a user control DropDownList (SearchCategory.ascx) that when included on my page (index.aspx) will not pass the selected value to a simple function in script tags of head content on a button click. It just passes the first value of the list no matter what is selected. I need to pass to the function (in the script tags of head content of index.aspx) the value of a text box (works fine cause it is not a user control) and the value of the DropDownList (only passes the first...

get value from <select> value & display value

Based on selected value from HTML.Dropdownlist, the values to be fetched
Hi,  I'm using Html.DropDownList.  When selection within this box changes, I need to retrieve the values from table based on the selected id(datavaluefield) of dropdownlist. Here my code ViewPost.cs viewpage <%=Html.DropDownList("CategoryID",ViewData["CategoryID"])%>  ---- based on selected value from the user the below table should fetch the value the db <table>        <tr>                   ...

Looking for a control which can select a value or input a value
As I knew, dropdown list can only allow user to select a value. Is there any control let user to select a value or input a value? it depends on your requirement ... you will have to create a custom control ..what are you trying to do ? Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post if this answer helps you.Abdulla AbdelHaqMCTS, MCPDHow to ask a question What I need is to list about 15 items to let user select. Also, user can input a item which is not under list.  so .. what is the problem of using textbox and listbox ?or gridview control, use the insert mode and create a ...

Text value not changing when new value on DropDownList selected
Hi, I am looking for assistance on how to correctly post events when a new item is selected on a drop down list. My drop down list has autopostback enabled and a sub routine associated with SelectedIndexChanged. This routine is activated when another entry in the drop down list is selected, however, the value is not changed and the drop down list returns to the originally selected value. For example, if I have 2 values in my drop down list, 0 and 1, and 0 is the currently selected value. Selecting 1 will trigger the event but the drop down list will return to displaying 0 as the selected ...

Selecting a Value in a Drop Down List Based on the Value of a Textbox
I have a formview control (.NET 2.0/VS2005) in which users enter company contact information.  When a user enters a postal code in the appropriate text box, the territory for that company needs to be calculated and displayed in a territory drop down list. I know how to calculate and retrieve the territory from my SQL Server database, but I can't seem to nail down how to trigger the code and don't want the user to have to click a button. I tried using the OnTextChanged event, but that doesn't seem to be what I want because I need this calculation to be performed pri...

Web resources about - Dropdownlist selected value passes first value in list no matter what value is selected. why ? - asp.net.presentation-controls

Tag Synonyms - Stack Overflow

Air Astana - Join Now

Blog - Avisra

Online Booking Tool Support