Datagrid cell click event

I am attempting to figure out how to capture the click of a specific cell so that I can display a box for that cell for editing.  I do not want to edit the entire row.  I have seen lots of client-side JS that will let you display the cells value, but nothing that pushes back serverside.

The proccess would be that you would click on a cell and an edit box would be displayed.  This would not display within the datagrid; instead, it would either be another window or perhaps a floating panel on the same page...  Once the change has been made, the data entered would be validated and if valid returned back to the database and the grid view updated.

If there is a better way to handle this, I'm all ears.Wink [;)]

0
jvernon

I'm not really sure if wud be able to do this without putting in considerable amout of DHTML and javascript to do this. But, do u have a strong reason why u want to have this kinda functionality when something is provided for u inherently with the existing control that u could use with a lil bit of customization. If u cud spend some bucks here...u cud look into using Infragistics controls....they got the capability built into their control so much so that u said u wanted.

cheers!

Shravan Addaypally MCP

0
shravan79

Table Cell click event
Hi, I used to have a custom server control inhirted from TableCell control to implement click event in VS.NET 2003.  When I use the custom control in VS.NET 2003 Web application (dynamically adding to table object), everything works fine.  Below is the code from 2003 project, and everything works good in this way.                 Dim c As New MyCustomTableCell                  c.Width = 200     &nb...

Edit the cell text by clicking in the cell in datagrid control
Sir,In asp.net 2.0 application, I want to edit the cell text by clicking in the cell in datagrid control. By EditItemTemplate it is possible to edit the cell text but for that we need to click on Edit button and after edit we need to click on Update button. But this way is not accepted. Is it possible in datagrid (possibly without activex control) to click in cell and edit the value and click out of the cell to update just like windows application grid?I did not find any article on web related to this.Please help me.Thanks in advance.    &nbs...

Problem in passing the cell value to a event handlar that will be called when the cell is clicked in a datagrid
hi,  this is my code , my need is to pass the valus of the cells in the first column to a event handlar method that will be called when the cells in the second column is clicked  I am struggling for ten days , Could you please tell me a solution? <asp:DataGrid ID="DataGrid2" DataKeyField ="Form Name" runat="server" ShowHeader="False" OnItemCommand ="DataGrid2_ItemCommand" OnPageIndexChanged ="Grd_frm_history_OnPageIndexChanged" OnItemDataBound ="DataGrid2_ItemDataBound" style="vertical-align: top; tex...

Datagrid(.net 1.1) to GridView(.net 2.0) and using the RowUpdating event how to extract the values from the controls.
Ok  This is the settings: I use a Viewgrid with only itemtemplate colums for example. <asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Test"><ItemTemplate><asp:Label id="LBL_Test" text='<%# DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "Test1") %>' runat="server" meta:resourcekey="LBL_TestResource1"></asp:Label></font></ItemTemplate> <EditItemTemplate><asp:TextBox ID="HDN_Test" Text='<%# DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "Test1") %>' Runat="server" meta:resourcekey="HDN_TestResource1" /></EditItemTemplate></asp:TemplateField>  The ...

Table control cell click event?
I am trying to make a table as follows. 1. A header row that spans all the columns and holds the current month's name 2. The first cell in the next row is blank and the next 5 hold the days of the week Monday - Friday 3. The rest of the rows are added from a XML file. The first cell will hold a users name the rest are blank. It will essentially be a calendar but of only Monday - Friday that I am using as a IN/OUT box. My thought is that a user would click on a cell of a day that they would be off and I could change the backgroound color of the cell as a visual queue.   The pr...

DataGrid cell click event #2
Hi, I have two problems with datagrid. These are - 1. I am fetching data from database and getting it in a dataset. In the time of display in a datagrid I want to display each row of dataset as a column in the datagrid. How can I do so? 2. In the datagrid, I want to write a click event on every cell click. In that click event I need to know exactly which cell was clicked (may be with row and column number). Please help me. Thanks in advance. Angshujit  create a separate table with the rows which yiu have as columns and bind the rows using for loop. Cheers,Achutha Krishnan~ No on...

Adding events to controls, e.g. adding a click event to a label control
 Hi, Is it possible to add a click event to a label control so that one can make something happen when a user clicks the label? How can it be done? One could of course use a linkbutton control, which has an in-built click event. Unfortunately a linkbutton insists on doing a postback every time it is clicked.Thank you!Regards.   Label is span control in html call javascript onclick event <span id="fkdsjfl" onclick=" ">here</span> if you want to call postback event then chk ithttp://forums.devx.com/showthread.php?t=142257 If this post...

Repeater Control Cell Click Event Not Firing
Hi,I am displaying values from web service in a repeater control in turn has table,rows,cell. The code extract is shown below,<asp:Repeater ID="Repeater1" runat="server">    <itemtemplate>        <tr bgcolor="white" id="">                       <td class="grd" align="justify"> <%#DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem,"FlightInfo")%></td>     ...

Assigning a DataGrid cell click event handler?
Is there a click event for DataGrid cells? I understand how to add a button in a column, but if I don't really need a visual button, is there a way to assign a handler for a click event for a DataGrid cell itself (or perhaps its text)? I was kind of expecting there was something like myDataGrid.ItemClicked += new DataGridItemEventHandler(this.handleMyClick); ...or someway of assigning a handler as the item is bound with myCell.Attributes.Add() Thanks for any help. um, yeah, that's pretty much where to start. In the ItemDataBound Event, you can easily add a client scri...

how to create event handlar for a datagrid cell when it is clicked
hi,            I am showing some documents name and a link called "Download" and an icon "pdf.jpg" in my datagrid. All i need is to show the "DownLoad or save as dialog box " for a particular document when its corresponding "Download" link is clicked.  Currently my code is protected void DataGrid1_ItemDataBound(object sender, System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridItemEventArgs e) {if (((e.Item.ItemType == ListItemType.Item)|| (e.Item.ItemType == ListItemType.AlternatingItem))) {if (e.Item.Cells[0...

Edit individual datagrid cells using click event
Hi All, I am developing a simple datagrid to store data with a status field. the requirement is when ever user clicks that perticular cell in that Status column (any row in that column) the display control(label) will switch to dropdownlist with 3 options. user selects any one option and that value should update and replace the dropdownlist. Its kind of spreadsheet style editing.... how to handle this. i tried to use itemdatabound event. but couldn't succeed. Please help me .  Thanks., vrnetLover  My recommendation would be to add into ItemTemplate for the "Status&...

Custom DataGrid control, click event never executes when adding a buttom from render. c#
Hi, this is what I've got: public class Custom_DataGrid : DataGrid {     public bool showbuttom = false;    protected override void Render(HtmlTextWriter output)     {         ...         if (this._showbuttom)         {            submitButton.ID = "button";             submitButton.Text = "+"; &...

How to place a DataGrid Control with in a DataGrid Control
Hi, I want to place a DataGrid control in a DataGrid control can any one plz tell me the procedure to place the control Thanks in Advance Krisamigo <!---<asp:DataGrid ID=dg_List runat=server><Columns><asp:TemplateColumn><ItemTemplate><asp:DataGrid ID=dg_List2 Runat=server></asp:DataGrid> </ItemTemplate> </asp:TemplateColumn> </Columns> </asp:DataGrid> ---> Hardik Joshi...

how to catch the id of dynamic linkbutton controls that has been Clicked on click event
this is how im creating Dynamic LinkButtons: void linkcheck(){LinkButton[] dy = new LinkButton[ds.Tables ["Employee"].Rows.Count-1]; dy[i] = new LinkButton (); dy[i].Click += new EventHandler(dynamiclinkbutton_Click); plh5.Controls.Add(dy[i]); necessary operation ;} now calling that click event on linkbuttonclick: private void dynamiclinkbutton_Click(object o,EventArgs e) {for (int k=0;k < ds.Tables["Employee"].Rows.Count-1;k++) {DataGrid1.EditItemIndex = Convert.ToInt32(ds.Tables["Employee"].Rows[k].ItemArray[0]);}binddata();} but im unable to catch the id of the linkbutton her...

Web resources about - Datagrid cell click event - asp.net.presentation-controls

Mad King DataGrid

Stack Overflow

Quick Answers - CodeProject