Data Controls in .Net 2.0

What is the difference between GridView, DataLis, DetailsView & FormView.

Thanks & Regards
Jai Shankar
0
jaishankar2704

Here is how I  understand them.

1. Gridview displays multiple lists of data, and it supports paging, sorting, among other things
2. DataList is pretty much the same, but you have more control over the html you generate over the gridview, but you won't get paging and sorting right out of the box.
3. DetailsView display one record (meaning one of the row in a gridview). Also, I believe you have limited control over the html it generates
4. FormsView is just like detailsView, with the exception that you have total control over the html that you want to generate.

Hope that helps.

Liming Xu
Jumptree ASP.NET 2.0 Project Management - With Source Code, Free to Non Profit Org and Effectively Manage Projects/Tasks/Milestones
0
Liming

.NET 2.0 Data Connection (.NET 2.0 Beta Data Provider)
I have installed the .NET 2.0 Beta Data Provider, in the server explorer in Visual Studio 2005 I have tried to connect to this provider but I can not see it in the list. Is there something else you need to do to see this other than what is in the instructions or is this not supported yet? Hi Dean, I assume you mean ASE ADO.NET 2.0 Beta. I'm attaching the html readme for this product that you should have from downloading it. Are you talking about using Server Explorer to see the Provider? This functionality isn't working yet and should be available on GA or shortly thereafter. You can register this in GAC, and also there is instructions to manually register to the system explained in the readme file. -Paul <Dean Oldfield> wrote in message news:464db42b.253.1681692777@sybase.com... >I have installed the .NET 2.0 Beta Data Provider, in the > server explorer in Visual Studio 2005 I have tried to > connect to this provider but I can not see it in the list. > Is there something else you need to do to see this other > than what is in the instructions or is this not supported > yet? begin 666 adonet_2.0_readme.htm M/&AT;6P@>&UL;G,Z=CTB=7)N.G-C:&5M87,M;6EC<F]S;V9T+6-O;3IV;6PB M#0IX;6QN<SIO/2)U<FXZ<V-H96UA<RUM:6-R;W-O9G0M8V]M.F]F9FEC93IO M9F9I8V4B#0IX;6QN<SIW/2)U<FXZ<V-H96UA<RUM:6-R;W-O9G0M8V]M.F]F M9FEC93IW;W)D(@T*>&UL;G,Z<W0Q/2)U<FXZ<V-H96UA<RU...

.net 2.0 data controls
I've just begun taking a look at .net 2.0 and am unsure if the new Data Controls will help with this problem.  I have a column in my database that stores a pdf filename, ex:  "pdfSample.pdf".  The directory is a variable within my project.  In my GridView, I need code that does the following: Private Sub ProductDetails_RowDataBound(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As GridViewRowEventArgs) Handles productdetail.RowDataBound&nbsp; Dim img As Image = CType(e.Row.FindControl("pdfImage"), Image) &nbsp; Dim pdfURL As String = "" 'Get the &qu...

How to validate controls on a .NET 2.0 Web user Control
Hi Guys, (ASP.NET 2.0 / C#) I've looked thorugh every post on validating web user controls (and know about Pter Blum's Professional Validation and More package) - but can't seem to get my head around whre to start. I have a web user control, called wucICL.ascx on a we page called AddEditInvestment.aspx.  I would like to validate a couple of DropDownLists (ddlAccounts and ddlContacts) when the Insert and Update buttons are clicked on the AddEdit Investment page. The other controls on the AddEditInvestments page belong to a validation group called All Validators and the DropDownL...

Running server controls compiled for .NET 1.1 in .NET 2.0
Hello, I have tried upgrading our ASP.NET 1.1 application to .NET 2.0 by using Web Application Projects, and it works beautifully. We use several 3rd party controls that we bought for use in .NET 1.1 and these seem to just work in .NET 2.0, except that I get an intermittent problem with one of them. Should DLLs compiled using .NET 1.1 simply work, except if they access classes that have been removed from the framework in .NET 2.0? If I have both .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 present on the machine and the ASP.NET application is configured to run using .NET 2.0 and I have a DLL compiled using .NE...

Where the data get stored in Wizard control. .NET 2.0
Can somebody please let me know that... Where the data get stored when we use Wizard control in .NET 2.0. Is it stores data in viewstate or use some hidden variable??   Data are stored in ViewState and ViewState is stored in hidden field by default. Note, than you can change place where ViewState is stored. You can implement your custom ViewState handling mechanism creating subclass from System.Web.UI.PageStatePersister class. ASP.NET 2.0 contains two implementations:     System.Web.UI.HiddenFieldPageStatePersister    System.Web.U...

Master Details in two seperate GridView Controls
I am simply trying to have a list of people in the top grid control (works fine), then when selected have the second Grid Control show details for that person(not working). Here is what I am trying from the load event: Sub BindData() Dim myConnection As New MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlConnection(System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.AppSettings("ConnectionSql")) Dim strPersonSQL, strActSQL As String strPersonSQL = "select row_id, first_name, last_name, middle_initial, dsi_id, created, created_by, program_of_study, email from tbl_person" Dim myPerCommand As New MySqlClient.MySqlComm...

Datagrid(.net 1.1) to GridView(.net 2.0) and using the RowUpdating event how to extract the values from the controls.
Ok  This is the settings: I use a Viewgrid with only itemtemplate colums for example. <asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Test"><ItemTemplate><asp:Label id="LBL_Test" text='<%# DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "Test1") %>' runat="server" meta:resourcekey="LBL_TestResource1"></asp:Label></font></ItemTemplate> <EditItemTemplate><asp:TextBox ID="HDN_Test" Text='<%# DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "Test1") %>' Runat="server" meta:resourcekey="HDN_TestResource1" /></EditItemTemplate></asp:TemplateField>  The ...

Unable to access page controls from base class in .NET 2.0 Beta 2
Hello All, I have converted a large-ish project to VS2005 beta 2. It is going better than beta 1, but it's still a world of pain. The latest problem is that I can't seem to access page controls from within a base class. I'm sure I didn't get this on beta 1 so maybe something has changed. Or maybe I'm just tired and it'll seem obvious tomorrow (it's the end of the working day here in the UK). Anyway, my problem: I have a page, Administration.aspx, a code behind file Administration.aspx.cs (with an Administration class), and, in a seperate project, a class called AdminPage. ...

User controls in .net 2.0
I am using Visual Studio Express 2005.  I am trying to share user controls across applications using the "virtual directory trick" mentioned in the following articles : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q324785http://authors.aspalliance.com/JimRoss/Articles/ShareUserControls.aspx This works in VS 2002, but it does not work in VS Express 2005.  Did MS purposefully eliminate this "trick" from .net 2.0, or am I just not implementing it right? Sharing user controls across applications is a perfectly natural thing to want to do.  It is one of the best ways ...

Menu control in .net 2.0
I am creating my new app. in visual studio 2005 using vb.net 2.0 I created menu (with sub menu) on my header user control. Menu based on sitemapdatasource. Here is the code for menu and css file. <asp:menu id="menua" runat="server"                      datasourceid="SiteMapDataSource1"                     cssclass="menua"            &nb...

Skin controls in .net 2.0
I have created a custom control in the app_code and have managed to skin it correctly (creating a pink and a blue skin) However when I place the vb code file in my class library with the following reference <%@ Register Assembly="WEM.Portal" Namespace="WEM.Portal.UI" TagPrefix="WEMui" %> it returns the following error. (Show in full below)  It seems to not resolve the WEM.Portal.UI.CollaspsingPanelThe ClassLibrary is called WEM.Portal and the class is started with the correct name space eg Namespace UI   Public Class Collaspsi...

User Controls with .net 2.0
   This is going to seem like a blanket question, but I have been looking high an low for a simple explanation and haven't been very lucky.  I just converted a project from 1.1 to 2.0 and noticed the <@ Reference> directives at the top of my pages that had (and still have) <@Register> directive for user controls I built.Can someone please explain to me in plain english what the pupose of the  @Reference directive is?  I have been able to dig up that it has to do with referencing user controls and having them compile, but have found absolutely no good exam...

[.NET 2.0] Login Controls
Hi,in ASP.net there is new set of login control (as appear in toolbox of VSS2005), after several trying, I found this controls is very helpful to create any "login routine task".But now, I need to customize CreateUserWizard control. Normally CreateUserWizard control will autogenerate this fields :1. username2. password3. e-mail4. security question5. security answerHow to add a new field like :6. address7. hobby, dllAnother things : Normally Login Controls have its own policy about password :1. password must be at last 7 character length2. at last using one non alphanumeric character (such as...

Custom Control in .NET 2.0
Hi Friend ,                    I have to create one custom control that have some JS Script file and one web Server Control .                   Plz guide me how to create custom control .  Rajeev Kumar TiwariMicrosoft Professional Hi, From your description, you are wondering how can you develop a custom control involved with some javascript files and some web server controls, right? For you first question, ac...

Access .Net 2.0 Application from .Net 2.0 Web Site
I need to populate a specific form in a .Net desktop application from a .net web application.  Is there an easy way to go about this? Hi, Based on my understanding, you want to start an executable application from your ASP.NET websit, right? We can invoke Process.Start method (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.diagnostics.process.start.aspx) to launch an executable application from ASP.NET application. Note: Please keep in mind, the ASP.NET application is running on the server, so it will start the executable application that exists in the server.   I look...

Clickonce deployment anyone (DW.NET 2.0 and .NET 2.0)?
I saw someone had posted a question about this already, and there were no responses. So I am hoping that this will get some. We had problems with the previous version of DW.NET 1.5 + VS2003 when attempting to deploy applications via a web server. So many problems that we eventually decided to run off a network drive (which is OK if your user base doesn't roam around the country). Anyway, we gave up on DW.NET, and started to use the datagrid control. Since then, much has changed. Our development team now has VS2005 professional and may start using DW.NET 2.0 (pending my inv...

.NET 3.0 or .NET 2.0?
I'm going to move my exiting software to .net soon. I'm just wondering if I should wait for the .NET 3.0 framework to be released or if I can start with the 2.0 now? I'd say you can go ahead and move your code to .Net 2.0 as .Net 3.0 uses the CLR version 2.0.Basically, .net 3.0 is .net 2.0 PLUS some new features for presentation (GUI), communication and workflow process.  So the compiler as well as the language features used by the 2.0 runtime will be the same in 2.0 and 3.0"Never argue with an idiot; He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experienc...

Cannot pass target control value to web method (autocomplete, .NET 2.0, toolkit release 1.0.20229)
I am trying to use 1.020229 in VS 2008, and maybe that is my problem, but I want to use VS 2008 and target a .NET 2.0 framework and I have tried several of the other toolkit controls in this same environment (e.g. tabpanel) and they seem to work. The problem is that when I use "public string[] GetSuggestions(string prefix, int n)" in the web service code behind, it never gets invoked.  But if I remove the parameters (i.e. "public string[] GetSuggestions()", then it does, but of course in that case the results have nothing to do with the text entered in the target ...

Coding in a Repeater control in .NET 2.0
I have a repeater control listing records from a database.  For each record, I want to check the value of a field. Part of what gets printed will depend on the value of the field.  So far I have the following, which is working.  What I want is for th second line to say one thing if ReNewAd has a value, ans something else if it doesn't.  <asp:Label runat="server" ID="LabelFirstLine"> <p><a href='Template.aspx?i=<%# Eval("File2")%>'><%# Eval("Last Name")%>, <%# Eval("First Name")%> </a> - <%# Eval("City")%>, <%# Eval(...

Update for Tabstrip controls to .NET 2.0 ?
Is there an update for the tabstrip control to .NET 2.0  ??? I can't figure out how to use the tabstrip in vs 2005. The tabs just return plain text -------------------------------------------------------------- VS2005 don't use the standard ISS to execute web-applications, so I have tried to place the webctrl_ client folder in my project folder (c:\projects\) and also in my website folder  (c:\projects\website) but it still don't work. I've also tried to put some code in my web.config file to change the path: <configurationSections><...

Web resources about - Data Controls in .Net 2.0 - asp.net.presentation-controls

Islamic State uses birth control to maintain supply of sex slaves
Modern methods allow the Islamic State to keep up its systematic rape of captives under medieval codes.

Islamic State uses birth control to maintain supply of sex slaves
Modern methods allow the Islamic State to keep up its systematic rape of captives under medieval codes.

Yet another “critical” Flash vulnerability allows an attacker to take control of your Mac – fix available ...
Adobe has announced the latest in a long line of “critical” Flash vulnerabilities , allowing an attacker to take control of your Mac. The same ...

Dam you! Justice Dept. to indict Iranians for probing flood control network
The gate to the Bowman Avenue Dam facility in Rye Brook, NY is locked, but the cellular modem used for its controls wasn't. (credit: Google) ...

DIRTY LITTLE SECRETS OF GUN CONTROL: Fraud, Theatrics, and Murder in Obama's Adopted Hometown
By Institute for Legislative Action President Obama’s hometown of Chicago has been controlled by his political party since at least 1931. The ...

LIES, BOOZE, AND BILLIONS: How one of the fastest-growing startups in Silicon Valley history raised $580 ...
... disagreements the two men would have over how to run Zenefits in the next year. A year later, by this February, Zenefits had spun out of control ...

'Creative Control' is a cautionary tale about getting too personal with tech
The film explores how tech has taken over our lives by dropping us into a world where devices are see-through and everyday augmented reality ...

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD nearly had Wiimote controls
... Tantalus, an Australian developer (who also ported Mass Effect 3 to Wii U), to handle the port. The team also considered using Wiimote controls, ...

Test Tube News: How NASA's Mission Control Ended Up in Houston
In 1962, NASA established Houston as its home base, which is about 1,000 miles away from its launch sites. Why is mission control in Texas?