Client side code to pass values to server side variable?

Hi there,

I have ListBox_SelectedTextChanged() method that creates another list box in the runtime as follows:

// Get Action Level List

lbxActionLevel = new ListBox();lbxActionLevel.ID = "ddlA" + i.ToString();

lbxActionLevel.Width = 100;

lbxActionLevel.Rows = 2;

SqlDataReader dr = new BusinessLogicLayer().bllGetActionLevels();

lbxActionLevel.Items.Clear();

while (dr.Read())

{

ListItem lAction = new ListItem();

lAction.Text = dr.GetString(1).Trim();

lAction.Value =
Convert.ToString(dr.GetInt32(0));

lbxActionLevel.Items.Add(lAction);

lbxActionLevel.SelectedIndex = 0;

}

I guess because this lbxActionLevel object is generated on the fly, I can't get the selection values once I click the "Done" button. I don't want the lbxActionLevel to do autopostback bacause for some reason most of the user input gets wiped out. Is there a way to get the user selection collected on the client side (javascript) and pass it to the C# code?

Thanks,

EJM

Software engineering is a team sport.
0
EJM

use Asp HiddenField control and assign the value coming from your JS method after that you can now access the Value stored in your HiddenField in the server

Regards,Vinz

vinz
3/13/2008 5:16:48 PM

I understand the use of HiddenFields, but in this case I don't know what the user is going to select before the page is rendered. And for some reason when the form fields are generated on the fly, it works differently as when they are created in the design time. I'd like to also know what that is.

thanks,

EJM

Software engineering is a team sport.
0
EJM
3/13/2008 5:32:32 PM

since you are creating the controls dynamically then please refer to the link below on how to handle dynamically created controls

http://www.singingeels.com/Articles/Dynamically_Created_Controls_in_ASPNET.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317515

Regards,Vinz

vinz

How to Pass Information from Server-Side Code to Client-Side Code in AJAX Control Extender?
Hi All,For some reason I can't get the following to work: I have a custom AJAX Control Extender with a few getters and setters. I also have some images I want to use with the extender saved in a resource file. How to I make the respective image URLs available to the javascript of the extender? Are there any examples available?Thanks![Update: renamed the subject to something more appropriate.]  Perhaps I can clarify a bit:I have set up a getter and setter to set the image URL from the resource file: 1 [ExtenderControlProperty] 2 public string CoverURL 3 { 4 get...

passing client side variable value to server side
 i have a grid and  by click on the rows, the onrowclick event is fired on client side. I want to pass the row index to the server side. As there are not sessions variables in javascript so i am stuck to pass the row to the server side.. I have made a texbox and set its valueto the index in the onrowclick event but when refresh calls, the text box became empty as the value set is on client side, i want page to persistthe value,  How can i do that? Tel me some way passing the row index to the server side?? Hi, You can call GridView_SelectedIndexChanging event on row click ev...

How to take value from client side control from server side code?
Hi all, I would like to know that, how to access client side control in server side code? Here is an example.. I am having the textBox in client side like <input type="text" id="textBoxUsername" name="textBoxUsername"/> I need to take the value from this textBox in button click event which is server side code. private void buttonShow(object sender, System.EventArgs e) { //I need to access this textBox here. } How to do that? Thanks R. eswaran. hi you need to make it run at server. <input type="text" id="textBoxUsername"...

server side control passing value of self in client side function
I have a server side dropdownlist control.It contains values as:"#00FFFF""#FF00FF""#FFFF00"When the selectedindex is changed by the client I want to assign the value of the dropdownlist to a <div id="example"></div> evelement.pseudo:document.getElementbyId('example').bgcolor=dropdownlist.valueHow can I do this? I think I somehow need to attach a function to my dropdownlist which passes its own value as a parameter to a function...any suggestions?Thanks!please mark answers as 'Answered' and post back solutions when you figure stuff out that isnt in the post already. You ...

Atlas client side control value available to server side C# code behind
I have an existing ASP.NET application. The page contains a datagrid (asp:datagrid). In my current C# code behind, I fetch data from SQL Server 2005 and bind to the datagrid when a button is selected (Click event). There can be many entires in the grid however, so the user typically enters text in a textbox as a filter on the returned results from SQL Server 2005. Now after studying an Atlas sample animalservice http://atlas.asp.net/docs/atlas/doc/data/default.aspx, with an HTML suggestion text box, I would like to use client-side Atlas to give the user a better indication of...

How to pass the client side values to server side?
 hello to All,Actually i wanna implement a code like... a string in HTML textbox retrieve in server side control....suppose i hv a HTML control <input type="text" id="txtHTML"/>, and dis control  txtHTML.text="abc".now i want to retrieve dis client side string "abc" in d server side textbox named "txtASP"...which hs a property runat="server"so please give me an idea how to pass values from client side to server side.... hope u understand a problem... sam.  You could do this <input type="text"...

Passing variable between client side and server side
For example,how do I pass the return value of the confirm("whatever") to the server side? Or the opposite way.  I want to use a cookie to do is. Can some one give me hint.  Much appreciate your help.   Chen  Please "Mark as an Answer" if you think my post had helped you!Thanks. you can use ajax,javascript and cookies also.  Got what you needed. Please mark as answer. In the aspx file: <input type="hidden" id="confirmAnswer" name="confirmAnswer" runat="server"> That adds this to the...

How to pass values from client side to server side
Hi, Is there a way to transfer variable from a client loop to a server loop. For example: var clitest = 'test'; Now I would like to get test variable from javascript into a server string variable <% sertest = ?? %> I understand that this can be done by storing a variable into a hidden control for example and than access it using server side, but when I have to transfer an array for example it get's a little more complicated. I was wondering is there more efficient approach? You can't transfer arrays, only strings. To workaround this problem pass delimited stri...

Problem passing value client-side to server-side
I have a page that calls a pop-up while passing an encrypted value via a query string. The value is encrypted on the parent client-side in javascript so it needs to be decrypted client-side as well. This decryption occurs on closing the child (popup) and I am at a loss of when and how I should get this value to the server-side. On the popup you just want to process server side code? Anytime you can access for example the raw url:string raw = Page.Request.RawUrl;If you need to access any values on the client side you can access the url using javascript. Another idea is to, on the code beh...

Just curious whether anyone has seen a better way to implement the following. It doesn't seem like the best way! What I'm doing is passing in an array of values to the client via server side code. The reason for this is because I'd like the server to do most of the crunch work and then pass the final results to the client. I use the 'onload' event of an image. code behind: imgLoader.Attributes.Add("onload", "Init('Tag1;Tag2;Tag3')") client-side. The page also contains an image called 'imgLoader'. var Entities = new Array(); function Init(s) ...

how to pass values from client side to server side #2
Hi Guys....               This is Aani....I'm using ASP.NET in C# language.i have created one webpage for get input from user(from java script inputbox).i want that entered data in server side operations.how can i pass that value from client side server side.i need proper code in C# language.reply me soon... Thanks is Advanced... Regards....Aani plz use hidden field.ur assing values to text boxes through java script. before post back call a java scipt function to assign value to hodden fieed. even u can add these ...

How to get the Client side values in server side code.
Hi all, i have a proble i need to get the client side javascript values in C# code at server side. how can i pass those values? i am using version 1.1, i kno thatwe can use callback events mechnisam in 2.0 or ajax ,apart from that how we can pass? My problem is i need to stop the execution of the code based on after reciving values from the client   any ideas please???   Million thanks RamCheersRam MCP Hello Ram, a common approach is from javascript set an hidden field, then issue a postback. On the server-side, handle the post-back. Feel free to go deeper in your que...

Accessing Client side variable from server side code?
Hi,  I am trying to use vbscript to run a process on the client machine. Once that process finishes I want to use the resulting value in my server side code behind file. Does anyone know a way to do this? I know that I can set server side session objects to a client variable by doing something like this: <script language="vbscript" type="text/vbscript">  strSubject = <%=Session.Item("Subject") %> </script>  but I have no idea how to do that in reverse. Thanks!    Filed under: too much coffee.  LOL! ...

Web resources about - Client side code to pass values to server side variable? - asp.net.presentation-controls

Staley: 'A lot of different variables...been a hard year'
... 41° Navigation Home Giants A's Sharks Warriors Kings 49ers Raiders Quakes Insiders More Tickets Shop Watch Staley: 'A lot of different variables...been ...