Cannot access a dropdownlist control inside the gridview control

I am using the Gridview control without a DataSource control.

When I click on the Edit button, the page posts back and enters the following code:

<code>

    Protected Sub GridView1_RowEditing(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridViewEditEventArgs) Handles GridView1.RowEditing

        Try
            Dim row As GridViewRow = GridView1.Rows(e.NewEditIndex)
            Dim ddlCustomerID As DropDownList = row.FindControl("ddlCustomerID")
            ddlCustomerID.DataSource = dstCustomers
            ddlCustomerID.SelectedIndex = ddlCustomerID.Items.IndexOf(ddlCustomerID.Items.FindByValue(dstCustomers.Tables(0).Rows(row.RowIndex).Item("CustomerID")))
            ddlCustomerID.DataBind()
        Catch ex As Exception
            Response.Write(ex.Message)
        End Try

    End Sub

</code>

I cannot get an instance of the control in the above boldfaced code after passing thru that line during debugging. It has a value of Nothing.

My html code is set up as follows (shortened for brevity) within the Gridview control:

<code>

<asp:TemplateField HeaderText="CustomerID">
                    <EditItemTemplate>
                        <asp:DropDownList ID="ddlCustomerID" runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("CustomerID") %>' DataValueField="CustomerID" DataTextField="ContactName"></asp:DropDownList>
                    </EditItemTemplate>
                    <ItemTemplate>
                        <asp:Label ID="lblCustomerID" runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("CustomerID") %>'></asp:Label>
                    </ItemTemplate>
                </asp:TemplateField>

</code>

As you can see above, I have the name of the control defined in the above code in the EditItemTemplate. I am assuming that during the RowEditing event, I should be able to access the control in order to make it into a dropdownlist. During the RowUpdating event which is fired immediately after the RowEditing, I will get the SelectedValue. During non-editing, it is simply a Label control and grabs the value in the database for the CustomerID. It is only when I want to edit the row, that I cannot get an instance of the control.

Can someone help me out here please? How can I get an instance of the control?

Thanks,

Bill Yeager MCP.Net, BCIP
0
wsyeager

sounds like you have an event order issue.  what happens if you look for lblCustomerID in your rowediting event?  do you find it?

Peter Kellner
http://73rdstreet.com and blogging at
http://PeterKellner.net
MVP, ASP.NET
0
pkellner
11/26/2006 5:17:44 AM

I am no good with VB.NET but the C# code equaivalent will be the following:

DropDownList ddl = row.FindControl("ddlCustomers") as DropDownList;

The VB.NET might be:

 Dim ddlCustomerID As DropDownList = CType(row.FindControl("ddlCustomerID"), DropDownList)

HighOnCoding
Wanna get high!
0
azamsharp
11/26/2006 6:02:45 AM

Peter, I do find the lblCustomerID object (which is inside the ItemTemplate of the Template field) in my rowediting event...

How can I get access to the ddlCustomerID object (which is inside the EditItemTemplate of the Template field)? I tried the same logic in the RowCommand event (when the CommandName = "Edit") and got the same results.

I looked up the RowEditing event just to make sure I had the same impression of what it supposed to do which is the following:

"The RowEditing event is raised when a row's Edit button is clicked, but before the GridView control enters edit mode."

This is exactly when I want to have the dropdownlist built, but it's obviosuly not working since I can't get a reference to the ddlCustomerID. If not the RowEditing event, then what event? I checked into the other events and nothing else seems to fit. I can't do it in the RowUpdating event, because at this time the user should have already selected the selectedvalue of the dropdownlist.

I'm frustrated with this one...

Thanks,

Bill Yeager MCP.Net, BCIP
0
wsyeager
11/26/2006 5:45:32 PM

Azam, thanks for the reply, but I tried that and still can't get an instance of the dropdownlist.

See my post to Peter...

Thanks,

Bill Yeager MCP.Net, BCIP
0
wsyeager
11/26/2006 5:47:28 PM

I thought I had resolved it by placing the following code inside the RowDataBound event:

<code>

    Protected Sub GridView1_RowDataBound(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridViewRowEventArgs) Handles GridView1.RowDataBound

        Try
            If (e.Row.RowType = DataControlRowType.DataRow) AndAlso (e.Row.RowState = DataControlRowState.Edit) Then
                Dim ddlCustomerID As DropDownList = DirectCast(e.Row.FindControl("ddlCustomerID"), DropDownList)
                ddlCustomerID.DataSource = dstCustomers
                ddlCustomerID.SelectedIndex = ddlCustomerID.Items.IndexOf(ddlCustomerID.Items.FindByValue(dstCustomers.Tables(0).Rows(e.Row.RowIndex).Item("CustomerID")))
                ddlCustomerID.DataBind()
            End If
        Catch ex As Exception
            Response.Write(ex.Message)
        End Try

    End Sub

</code>

Notice the boldfaced line above. I figured on each postback, this event will get fired and enter the above code when the Edit button is pressed. According to the description of the event ("The RowDataBound event is raised when a data row (represented by a GridViewRow object) is bound to data in the GridView control."), this seemed like the place to finally get it done. I was wrong...

This event only gets fired when you go into the page for the first time. In other words, during postbacks, it doesn't get fired (as I was debugging and had a breakpoint set at the "Protected Sub GridView1_RowDataBound(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridViewRowEventArgs) Handles GridView1.RowDataBound" line of the event).

How is a developer then still supposed to get an instance of a dropdownlist control in order to display it?

Thanks,

Bill Yeager MCP.Net, BCIP
0
wsyeager
11/26/2006 6:24:37 PM

I'm stumped at the moment, but need to run out for several hours. I'm sure you could solve the problem by making a simple custom control that inherits from the dropdown list and use that instead of th standard dropdown list.  You could pass a bound field (eval(.)) to it and do what you want.  there has to be an easier way though.  I'm glad the gridviewguy is on this thread.  I bet he thinks of something before I get home!

-Peter (anxiously awaiting the answer when I get home)

Peter Kellner
http://73rdstreet.com and blogging at
http://PeterKellner.net
MVP, ASP.NET
0
pkellner
11/26/2006 6:30:13 PM
One last thought before I head out.  I'm wondering (need to look in reflector and study events) that what might be happening is that the control does not switch into edit mode until the events are processed which means after page_load nad before page_prerender.  this would mean that the rowcreated event or rowdatabound events don't act on the edit row.  If this is the case, then you might need to put code in the page_prerender that finds your selected row, then finds the dropdownlist based on that.  Just a thought.  I don't like it a lot but I'm sure Azam will come to the rescue on this one.

Peter Kellner
http://73rdstreet.com and blogging at
http://PeterKellner.net
MVP, ASP.NET
0
pkellner
11/26/2006 6:51:05 PM

I put together some code for you that you can check it out.

Here is the HTML part of the code:

  <asp:GridView ID="gvCategories" runat="Server" AutoGenerateColumns="False" OnRowEditing="gvCategories_RowEditing" OnRowUpdating="gvCategories_RowUpdating">

    <Columns>

    <asp:TemplateField Visible="False">
    <ItemTemplate>
    <asp:Label id="lblCategoryID" runat="Server" Text = '<%# Eval("CategoryID") %>' />
    </ItemTemplate>
    </asp:TemplateField>

    <asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Category Name">
    <ItemTemplate>
    <asp:Label id="lblCategoryName" runat="Server" Text = '<%# Eval("CategoryName") %>' />
    </ItemTemplate>

    <EditItemTemplate>
    <asp:DropDownList ID="ddlCategoryName" DataSource='<%# GetDataSet() %>' DataTextField="CategoryName" DataValueField="CategoryID" runat="server" />
    </EditItemTemplate>

    </asp:TemplateField>
        <asp:CommandField ShowEditButton="True" />

    </Columns>

    </asp:GridView>

Here is the C# code behind:

    {
        if (!Page.IsPostBack)
        {
            BindData();
        }
    }

    private void BindData()
    {
        string connectionString = "Server=localhost;Database=Northwind;Trusted_Connection=true";
        SqlConnection myConnection = new SqlConnection(connectionString);
        SqlDataAdapter ad = new SqlDataAdapter("SELECT CategoryID, CategoryName FROM Categories", myConnection);

        DataSet ds = new DataSet();
        ad.Fill(ds);

        gvCategories.DataSource = ds;
        gvCategories.DataBind();
    }

    protected  DataSet GetDataSet()
    {
        string connectionString = "Server=localhost;Database=Northwind;Trusted_Connection=true";
        SqlConnection myConnection = new SqlConnection(connectionString);
        SqlDataAdapter ad = new SqlDataAdapter("SELECT CategoryID, CategoryName FROM Categories", myConnection);

        DataSet ds = new DataSet();
        ad.Fill(ds);

        return ds;
     }

    protected void gvCategories_RowEditing(object sender, GridViewEditEventArgs e)
    {
        gvCategories.EditIndex = e.NewEditIndex;
        BindData();
    }

    protected void gvCategories_RowUpdating(object sender, GridViewUpdateEventArgs e)
    {
        // get the value from the dropdownlist

        GridViewRow row = gvCategories.Rows[e.RowIndex];

        int categoryID = Convert.ToInt32((row.FindControl("ddlCategoryName") as DropDownList).SelectedValue);

    }

HighOnCoding
Wanna get high!
0
azamsharp
11/26/2006 7:20:53 PM

Azam, your post pointed me in the right direction. I finally got it to work using the following html code:

<code>

<asp:TemplateField HeaderText="CustomerID">
                    <EditItemTemplate>
                        <asp:DropDownList ID="ddlCustomerID" runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("CustomerID") %>' DataSource='<%# GetCustomers() %>' DataValueField="CustomerID" DataTextField="ContactName" SelectedValue='<%# Bind("CustomerID") %>' AppendDataBoundItems="true"></asp:DropDownList>
                    </EditItemTemplate>
                    <ItemTemplate>
                        <asp:Label ID="lblCustomerID" runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("CustomerID") %>'></asp:Label>
                    </ItemTemplate>
                </asp:TemplateField>

</code>

Notice the boldfaced item above which gives me the selected value of the ddl when edited. There was no code in the code behind to take care of this. I handled the update in the RowUpdating event by using the following code:

<code>

dtblOrders.Rows(0).Item("CustomerID") = DirectCast(GridView1.Rows(e.RowIndex).FindControl("ddlCustomerID"), DropDownList).SelectedValue

</code>

After further review of this situation, it appears that the RowEditing, RowCommand and RowDataBound events are only useful for the object inside the ItemTemplate and not the object inside the EditItemTemplate. Please let me know if this stands to reason.

The RowCommand event can obviously be also used to tell which command was selected...

Thanks,

Bill Yeager MCP.Net, BCIP
0
wsyeager
11/26/2006 10:38:12 PM

I have similar problem to what Azam's described and SelectedValue property was the first option I had on my mind, but when I tried it, it failed. Build finished successfully, but the containing page resulted in invalid use of SelectedValue property which was not contained in the property list. This property is not contained in Intellisense as well. Any idea what I'm missing? Thanks for any help that would point me in the right direction!

Ladislav P. Valik
Microsoft Certified Professional (WebForms, WinForms)
0
Potvora

Access Controls inside Controls
I have a login control (Login1) inside a Login View control (LoginView1). MembershipUser mbr; mbr = Membership.GetUser(Login1.UserName); It can not find control Login1.  Cheers.  MattSystems Engineer / ASP.NET Web Developermbaughan@raecomputing.com You have to use FindControl. Try creating a local Login control using   LoginView1.FindControl("Login1");Remember: mark posts that helped you as the answer to aid future readersWhy UpdatePanels Are DangerousWhy You Should Not Place Your Whole Site In An UpdatePanel MembershipUser mbr; LoginView1.Find...

Help Req: !!! :- On Disabling Controls Present inside a Gridview control
Hi All, We have A requirement Where we have disable controls inside a grid.These controls can be textbox, DropDownlist (in TemplateField), ComandField present inside the grid.We have to call a generic method for doing the same .(since it can be done for multiple grid.) PFB the code snippet we use. Which disables all the controls inside the page.The bolded part of the code is used to loop inside a grid view.(Not Working.)Is this ideal way to deal with the requirement.Or can someone suggest be a better way.        public void DisableMe(Page p1, st...

How to access a control inside a Repeater control?
 <asp:Repeater ID="Repeater1" runat="server"> <HeaderTemplate><ul></HeaderTemplate> <ItemTemplate><li><asp:Image id="Image1" runat="server" /> </li></ItemTemplate> <FooterTemplate></ul></FooterTemplate> </asp:Repeater>   Protected Sub Repeater1_ItemDataBound(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.RepeaterItemEventArgs) Handles Repeater1.ItemDataBound Dim Image1 As WebControls.Image Image1 = CType(e.Item.FindCo...

How to access control inside DataList control?
I have a dataList control that is used to create thumbnails of my images. Inside this dataList I have an Image, HyperLink, and CheckBox controls. I want to access the checkBox controls during run time when the user click on the Delete button. In the btnDelete method, I want to check if the chbDelete control is checked. If it is checked, grab the Text property (which is the file path and file name) and then delete the file off of the image folder. So here's my code.  1 CheckBox chbImageFile = (CheckBox)dtlBrowseImage.FindControl("chbDelete"); 2 3 if (ch...

How to access page control (editor control) from user control?
Hi, I want to do something, but I don't know if it's even possible. I'm trying to make a simple application to edit my website. I have a page called editPage.aspx which contains an editor control. (cuteEditor from cutesoft) I also have a Treeview that dynamically populates my website structure. I placed this treeview in a custom control (populateTreeView.ascx) and placed it on the editPage.aspx page. When you click on a html file in the treeview (inside the custom control) I check if the file exists. If it does exists I send it to a class which retrieves the editable region within this ...

Accessing DropDownList inside GridView Control
below is the code which contains a dropdownlist and binded to sqldatasource. <Columns><asp:TemplateField><ItemTemplate><asp:DropDownList ID="DropDownList1" runat="server" DataSourceID="SqlDataSource1"DataTextField="Name" DataValueField="Id"></asp:DropDownList></ItemTemplate></asp:TemplateField></Columns> but the problem is iam not  able to see the dropdownlist in my gridview? Any ideas??  Jai Ganesh. J , GSD ,IndiaPlease Mark As Answer If my reply helped you. I copied your code ...

Custom Control within a Control Control

gridview control in another gridview control
Hi ia have a questioni have a gridview control which contains button in one colum.now my question is i need another gridview to be placed in the  first gidviewso that when i click on the button the second gridview will populate the data.now my question is how to place second gridview in first gridview.or is there any approach like first grid itself acting as parent and child.please help me  Hi sirikalavalapalli:                I think nested gridview will help you. Check this link and it will show you how...

How to access a user control from another user control in a Wizard control
My page has a wizard control and each step is a user control.  I could find the value of a control in step1 user control in the wizard page but not in step2 user control.From wizard.aspx.vb – it worksDim m_title As DropDownList = CType(Me.PersonalBox1.FindControl("ddlTitle1"), DropDownList) Question:How can I find the value of a control(textbox or dropdownlist)in step1 user control from step2 user control? I want to find “PersonalBox1.FindControl("ddlTitle1")” from Step2 AddressBox1. I have tried several ways to access it but no luck. From AddressBox.ascx.vb –...

Accessing a control inside a Web User control
Hello, I have a bunch of controls inside a Web User Control (.ascx) file. This user control is used inside an aspx page. I wanted to access the controls inside the ascx from the codebehind for aspx (have to bind a drop down list inside the ascx from the codebehind for the aspx) How can this be done? ...tried using FindControl method but it somehow returns 'null' Thanks in advance,Kumar A better solution is to expose a property from the User Control (perhaps a DataSet) and then fill in that DataSet and bind the control inside the UserControl and have the UserControl do the work,...

Access controls inside nested user controls
Hi!  I have no experience with asp.net and I have a default.aspx page with some componentes, a menu and an UpdatePanel with a PlaceHolder inside, according the menu button pressed, I load an ascx page inside the PlaceHolder. Everything works well but inside service.ascx page I have another user control named form.ascx with some normal asp.net controls. The problem is I don´t know how to access componentes inside form.ascx (that is inside service.aspx) from default.aspx.cs. For example: I have a Label named "status" inside for...

Accessing controls inside User control template
Hi, I need to create a user control with one template. That template needs to be like View in MultiView or Wizzard control or Panel. It means, that controls, which are inside should be visible to the page. It will be created just once per control. I need to be able to write :  TextBox1.Text = "Hello world" not : (MyUserControl1.Controls.FindControl("TextBox1") as TextBox).Text = "Hello world" Thanks, radco  If this is a answer to your problem, mark it as answer in right upper corner. It helps other who read your article to known that it is correct answer if that is the case you should expose public properties in your user control for each property you want to access in the page Eg;usercontrol  public TextBox TextBox1 {   get{return this.TextBox1; }   } ------------------------------------------------In implementing page usercontrol1.TextBox1.Text ="hello world";  If this solves your problem please mark as answer No, that is not what I want. I don`t know at design time of my user controls, what controls it will include. That controls are added in page. So I need a template with those controls. That is not problem, my problem is, that I don`t know how to make that controls accessible from page, like they were in Panel, MultiView or Wizzard controls. radcoIf this is a answer to your problem, mark it as answer in right upper corner. It helps other who rea...

access server control inside a user control
hi, how can i access a server control say a textbox or a label which inside a user control say a header of menu from an aspx page on which that control is being placed like user control name : ucontrol server control inside user control : txtusername how can i access that txtusername from inside ucontrol thanks, regardsX Do a search for "usercontrol findcontrol" on this forum and you'll get plenty of past posts on this topic.  Much better than repeating the instructions here....

Accessing controls inside the content server control
When I select design view for a web form that has a master page, I cannot see the controls in the page, only the controls for the master page.  How do I access the controls I have put inside the content control?   To add an event to the .cs file, I select the control and double-click the event I need from the properites window.  I can no longer select the controls...so how do I add the server side event? Thanks, Bob...

Access Parent control inside a user control
Hi, I have a user control that placed on a web form. My web form also contains an IFrame object. In my user control I have a HTML Button object that I write below code in its click event in HTML View: function imgHome_onclick() {  document.getElementById('IFrameName').src = "frmUser.aspx"; } IFrameName is name of IFrame object that placed on parent form. In fact I want to access an object that is placed on the parent form inside a user control. But at runtime when I click on html button it generate this error: document.getElementById (...) is null or not an o...

Accessing DropDownList in an user control from parent control
Hi, I have a user control that contains a DropDownList, amongst one or two other objects. The class is: public abstract class EligirDatos : ASPNetPortal.PortalModuleControl This control is embedded in another control (the 'parent control'), declared in the parent control ascx.cs file as: protected System.Web.UI.UserControl EligirDatos; whereby I can change its visibility as follows: EligirDatos.Visible = false; Visible is a property of System.Web.UI.UserControl, but the question is: How can I access the SelectedIndex property of its DropDownList? Is it possible? Th...

How to access control inside DataList control? #2
Since DataList does not seem to have mode, I can't find a way to access the Image control inside of DataList control.I have tried this:Image imgStaffPic = (Image)DataList1.FindControl("imgStaffImage");imgStaffPic.Visible = false; The error was: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.  So any help is appreciated. Hello, Have you tried using the ItemDataBound Event? Here is a sample I put together for you.  protected void DataList1_ItemDataBound(object sender, DataListItemEventArgs e) { if(e.Item.ItemType == ListItemType.Item || e.Item.ItemType...

Setting DropDownList controls inside a Datalist control
I have DropDownList controls inside a Datalist control.   I would be grateful if someone could tell me how to enable or disable a ListItem control accordingly with the  data contained in a DataTable.   Here are the ListItem controls:       <asp:ListItem Value="blue" >Blue</asp:ListItem>     <asp:ListItem Value="red" >Red</asp:ListItem>     <asp:ListItem Value="black" >Black</asp:ListItem>     <asp:ListItem Value="white" >white</asp:ListItem>   For i...

DropdownList controls inside AccordionPane and Clearing ViewState on Control
I'm having problems with ViewState loading stale data on DropDowns embedded within an AccordionPane.   The dropdowns are bound to a generic collection object using Databinding via a 'PopulateList' method that's in a helper class: //bind a listControl with an object public static void PopulateList(System.Web.UI.WebControls.ListControl list, string valueDataName, string textDataName, Object bindingObject) { list.DataSource = bindingObject; list.DataVal...

Accessing properties of user control inside user control
I have a simple MemberPhoto user control which has a photo of a member along with username and if they are online.I would like to reuse this control inside of another user control (MemberSummary) that would include the member's photo and some basic information about the member.  I would like to know what is the "Best Practice" to set/read properties on the member photo control from a web form.1. Should the MemberSummary define a property that returns the MemberPhoto user control and there I would have access to th...

obtaining the value of a dropdown control inside a gridview control
Hi, I am working on a site to process assessments against a particular business service. The assessments have 8 stages and there are questions for each stage with a list of responses. I am experimenting with different user interfaces for doing this and am open for suggestions on the best way, but for the moment I have a page for each assessment with a dropdown list containing stage 1-8, on selecting a stage a gridview is built containing the questions and responses for that particular stage. So the first column is the question and the second column a drop down list of possible responses, o...

accessing control inside usercontrol within control arraylist
My arraylist contains bunch of usercontrols inside that. Each user control is having dropdown,text box etc...how do i access dropdown,textbox etc... i am trying to do something liek this arraylist al = new arraylist() i have added control like this in a loop to arraylist..  al.add(ctl);  now i am trying to access the control inside the user control like this ..  for (int i = 0 ; i <al.count ; i ++){(dropdownlist)al[i]>>> intellisense does not give me "findControl" here..though al[i] contains the array of user contorl inside } thanks Your arrayli...

Web resources about - Cannot access a dropdownlist control inside the gridview control - asp.net.presentation-controls

Tag Synonyms - Stack Overflow

Air Astana - Join Now

Blog - Avisra

Online Booking Tool Support