An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file .../App_Data\Database.mdf failed. A database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is located on UNC share.

I am trying to display data on an asp page from a sql express database that is in the app_data folder however when trying to run the application I get the above error. I also get the error when I right click on the asp page from within the IIS website. But when when I right click the asp page from with VS and select 'view in browser' it displays fine!

I have tried setting the ACL for the App_Data folder for mymachine\ASPNET  to R/W as well as for the *.mdf and *.ldf file  to no avail.

What am I missing here?
0
lmatravel

An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file (file location).../Database.mdf failed. A database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is located on UNC share.
Greetings, I have just arrived back into the country (NZ) and back into ASP.NET.  I am having trouble with the following:An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file (file location).../Database.mdf failed. A database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is located on UNC share. It has only begun since i decided i wanted to use IIS, I realise VWD comes with its own localhost, but since it is only temporary, i wanted a permanent shortcut on my desktop to link to my intranet page.  Anyone have any ideas why i am getting the above error? have...

An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file C:..... failed. A database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is located on UNC share.
Hallo! In my local test-appication in Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition (VWD2008EE)  I can make a login with stored  login-data. After login I can't use any database. I use all standard DB-connections. The DB-Application-data are OK. Somewhere these DBs ar locked, but where?http://www.plbg.chPlanning of new IT Systems Hi, Would you please provide more details? What’s the connection string and is there database stored in folder App_Data? According to the error message, there may be several possible cause for the issue.  Please refer to the th...

Unable to open the physical file. Operating system error 5: "5(Access is denied.)". A database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is located on UNC share.
PLEASE TELL ME A SOLUTION.... Server Error in '/PS' Application. The '/PS' is virtual directory of Local Host.Unable to open the physical file "G:\Personal Site Kit\App_Data\personal.mdf". Operating system error 5: "5(Access is denied.)".An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file G:\Personal Site Kit\App_Data\personal.mdf failed. A database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is located on UNC share. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review th...

A database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is located on UNC share.
Hi, Everything was working fine developing a website on my development PC: XP SP 2 SQLServerExpress Latest Release VWD Latest Release. Ive added web parts to my site and when i run it now i get the follwoing error see below:  Ive found various information on the internet but none seem to work for me.  Can anyone help?? An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\Savantis Ajax Website\App_Data\aspnetdb.mdf failed. A database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be open...

An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file <file string> failed....BUT ONLY due to new SSE install
I built an app, works fine.  Had the development environment working fine (VS2005 (SP0) and SQL Server Express).  It had been stable for months, no problem. Then I had to reinstall XP Pro...(finally threw too many conflicting programs into it, I guess...) I managed to get VS2005 reinstalled ok.   However, when I opened and compiled my existing app in VS2005, using Cassini, I got the dreaded error:An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file <file string> failed. A database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is located...

An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file ... failed
When I attempt to run the Time Tracker Starter kit I receive the following error: An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file C:\WebSites\Test_TimeTracker\App_Data\aspnetdb.mdf failed. A database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is located on UNC share. I checked SQL Express and I did originally have a database named aspnetdb that was installed by the QuickStarts. I have subsequently detached that database and moved the data and log files from SQL Express's data folder, however I still get the same error. I've opened mdf file in visual stu...

An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file ... failed
Hi, I have created a Database.mdf under (.NETNUKE's) App_Data using VisualStudio 2005 (TE,Final) I am on win2k3, IIS6, .net 2.0 (final) I have given both ASP.NET and NETWORK SERVICE full control over the Website directory and its children objects. I have even tried making IIS impersonate a local administrator.  All of which still me this error when I go to the site the first time:  An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file F:\wwwroot\tenantport2\Website\App_Data\Database.mdf failed   I can connect to and br...

An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file.....failed
Just going through the online videos at MSDN to get a Membership site started - - everything works fine on my local machine (haven't we heard that before??) however, when I put it on the hosted site, and a user tries to log in, I get the following error: An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file c:\hosting\webhost4life\member\<path>\aspnetdb.mdf failed. A database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is located on UNC share. This is a virtual directory, and there isn't another aspnetdb.mdf file anywhere in the parent direcories, or an...

An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file failed.
Hi,I recently installed VS Web Developer Express Ediition and SQL Server Express and I'm doing the How To tutorials and I can't finish the basic data access walkthrough:http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-US/library/tw738475.aspxBecause I get an error like this (link for complete error below): An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\test.mdf failed. A database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is located on UNC share.Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution...

An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file failed
Hi I have a problem when I want to open a page with the database record. This page is created in Visual Web Developer 2005 Express. When I try to open a page I get the following error message even though the connection between the database is ok: An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\membership\App_Data\aspnetdb.mdf failed. A database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is located on UNC share. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace ...

An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file [filename] failed.
 I'm trying to set up what should be a simple web application using Visual Web Developer 2008 Express that uses a read only database using SQL Server Express 2008.  It works as expected in the development environment, but after I published the site to a test server and tried to pull up some of the data, I get An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\DATA\History_Data.mdf failed. A database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is located on UNC share. I've ma...

An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file aspnetdb.mdf
having exhaustively searched the forum and tried everything over the pas few days im still recieving :Error Caught in Application_Error eventError in: http://mysite.com/site1/index.aspxError Message: An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file E:\Inetpub\wwwroot\mvate.com\WapCms\App_Data\aspnetdb.mdf failed. A database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is located on UNC share.Stack Trace:   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject)   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetC...

An attempt to attach an auto-named database for "file" failed.
Hi, I did the security tutorial on this page and made some adjustments to it. Everything worked fien from withing VS2005. I now published the site and wanted to test it in real. i can browse to the default page and login page. When I try to login in I get follwowing error: An attempt to attach an auto-named database for "file.mdf "failed. A database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is located on UNC share. conStr: <add name="Projects" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirec...

An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file
I build a WebApp which i use the default DataBase that come with the App_Data folder. I have Users and roles into that folder with all my tables regarding my new App. Why i cant make it work under IIS on my webserver ? When i open it with Visual Studio everything works but outside of it nothing. An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file c:\inetpub\wwwroot\Survey\App_Data\aspnetdb.mdf failed. A database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is located on UNC share. Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True;AttachDBFilena...

Web resources about - An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file .../App_Data\Database.mdf failed. A database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is located on UNC share. - asp.net.presentation-controls