Adding row (one at a time) in gridview on a button click. And cells of added row should contain controls like DROPDOWN LIST or TEXT BOX.

Dear Friends,

I am in great need for the solution/hints/guidance of my requirement, if anyone can help with.  Let me explain what I need.

"I need a Gridview control on a webpage having following 5 columns/fields.

    Column 1: It just has a "+" button in its header only (other cells for this column is empty)
    Column 2: The Column header here is "FIELD" and  it should contain dropdown list (which is populated from some database)
    Column 3: The Column header here is "Operator" and  it should also contain dropdown list (items are hardcoded with just few values like 'Less Than','Greater Than' etc.)
    Column 4: The Column header here is "Value" and  it should contain textbox
    Column 5: The Column header here doesn't contain anything, only buttons with cross symbol (x) are there under the header (inside the gridview) as the column values.

Now the requirement is that, when we click the + button (which is in header of first column of gridview), it should add ONE row (at a time) in gridview and that row should contain the controls as specified above for Columns 2,3, 4 & 5.

Similarly, when the cross (x) button (in Column 5) from any row is clicked, that row should be deleted.

The problem could be easily explained if I would be able to show a reference/sample screenshot here. If anyone can help me with this, I can mail the screenshot, so that further discussion becomes easier.

Thanks in Advance...

Mohit S.
superhumane@gmail.com

Mohit Shrawan
-3
shrawan8

Hi shrawan8 ,

I wrote one sample,

        <asp:GridView ID="GridView1" runat="server" AutoGenerateColumns="False" Width="369px" OnRowCommand="GridView1_RowCommand">
            <Columns>
                <asp:TemplateField>
                    <HeaderTemplate>
                        <asp:Button ID="Button1" runat="server" CommandName="add" Text="add row" Width="96px" />
                    </HeaderTemplate>
                    <ItemTemplate>
                        <asp:Label ID="Label1" runat="server" Text='<%# Eval("index") %>' Width="81px"></asp:Label>
                    </ItemTemplate>
                </asp:TemplateField>
                <asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Field">
                    <ItemTemplate>
                        <asp:DropDownList ID="DropDownList1" runat="server" DataSourceID="SqlDataSource1"
                            DataTextField="name" DataValueField="id">
                        </asp:DropDownList>
                    </ItemTemplate>
                </asp:TemplateField>
                <asp:TemplateField HeaderText="operator">
                    <ItemTemplate>
                        <asp:DropDownList ID="DropDownList2" runat="server">
                            <asp:ListItem>great</asp:ListItem>
                            <asp:ListItem>less</asp:ListItem>
                        </asp:DropDownList>
                    </ItemTemplate>
                </asp:TemplateField>
                <asp:TemplateField  HeaderText="value">
                    <ItemTemplate>
                    </ItemTemplate>
                </asp:TemplateField>
                <asp:TemplateField>
                    <ItemTemplate>
                        <asp:Button ID="Button2" runat="server" CommandArgument='<%# Eval("index") %>' CommandName="rowdelete" Text="delete" />
                    </ItemTemplate>
                </asp:TemplateField>
            </Columns>
        </asp:GridView>
        <asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource1" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:ConnectionString %>"
            SelectCommand="SELECT * FROM [Person]"></asp:SqlDataSource>

    {
        if (!IsPostBack)
            bind();
    }

    private void bind()
    {
        DataTable table = Session["dt"] as DataTable;
        if (table == null)
        {
            table = new DataTable();
            table.Columns.Add("index");
            DataRow dr = table.NewRow();
            dr["index"] = "1";
            table.Rows.Add(dr);
            Session["dt"] = table;
        }
        this.GridView1.DataSource = table;
        GridView1.DataBind();
    }
    protected void GridView1_RowCommand(object sender, GridViewCommandEventArgs e)
    {
        if (e.CommandName == "add")
        {
            DataTable table = Session["dt"] as DataTable;
            DataRow dr = table.Rows[table.Rows.Count - 1];
            int last = Convert.ToInt32(dr["index"].ToString());
            DataRow newdr = table.NewRow();
            newdr["index"] = Convert.ToString(last + 1);
            table.Rows.Add(newdr);
            Session["dt"] = table;
            bind();
        }
        if (e.CommandName == "rowdelete")
        {
            string index = e.CommandArgument.ToString ();
            DataTable table = Session["dt"] as DataTable;
            DataRow [] drs =   table.Select("index = '" + index + "'");
            table.Rows.Remove(drs[0]);
            Session["dt"] = table;
            bind();
        }
    }

Samu Zhang
Microsoft Online Community Support

-1
Samu
3/19/2008 9:35:09 AM

Hi Samu,

Really thanks for your favor. Its appreciable. I ran the code and faced some issue, related to database and connection string. I got following error:

"The connection name 'ConnectionString' was not found in the applications configuration or the connection string is empty. "

So now i need to know 2 things:

1. What that error is all about and wats the solution

2. which database and table u used for this? as i couldnt find PERSON table (which u mentioned in code) in any of my sql server db .

Thanks once again.

Mohit S.

Mohit Shrawan
-1
shrawan8
3/20/2008 11:59:42 AM

Hi shrawan8 ,

I bind dropdownlist to table Person , and Person is one table I created.

In fact, you can remove the inline code . The effect is the same.

[...]

3/24/2008 8:59:45 AM

 Hi Samu,

Yeah, This time it worked a lot. I am very close to what i want. Thanks so much. Now in the earlier code what I did is that, I just configured the sqldatasource (which is bind to first dropdownlist of column FIELD) with some other database. With this wat is happening is that, page is running fine without any error. But the dropdown list (first one) is not showing the data fetched by sqldatasource, rather it is showing the text --- System.Data.DataRowView   within dd list. The query used to configure sqldatasource is flawless as i tested the query while configuring the sqldatasource.

Here is the query:

select Field_name from rsys_table_fields where tables_ID = 0x8000000000000019

 The sqldatasource is:

<asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource1" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:newwebex_EDConnectionString %>" SelectCommand="select Field_name from rsys_table_fields where tables_ID = 0x8000000000000019"> </asp:SqlDataSource>

I could not figure out the solution. Please help in this.

I've one more thing, though its not an issue, just a requirement. So we can take that later on. Still let me explain u.

"When page appears, there should not be even a single row initially. first and subsequent rows should appear only on that 'row add' button click"..Thats all

Thanks for your highly appreciable help.

 Regards,

Mohit S.

Mohit Shrawan
0
shrawan8
3/26/2008 8:13:06 AM

Hi Samu,

I am really thankful for your help. Your code is really working nice. Just one issue i'm facing and few enhancements are there, if you can help with.

Issue: When the code is run, the generated table already contains one row (with the mentioned controls in it). So the problem that i'm facing is, when someone tries to delete that SINGLE row itself, the page goes away blank/ or with error. u can try that.

So can we do it this way that: when the page loads, there shud be only header (no rows) for that table. And as soon the "Add" button (from header) is clicked, first row shud be added, and so on... Similarly going reverse when even if all the rows are removed (using the delete button in rows), the table header shud be there, without any error.?

thanks in advance for your help..

Regards,

Mohit S.

Mohit Shrawan
-1
shrawan8

How to determine the row number when clicking a delete button I added to a template column from a GridView control???
Hello all,I am working using the codebehinde the page with VB.NET 2005 (web application).  I have a gridview where I added a template column, inside that templated column I added a delete button.  I would like to know how could I determine which row number corresponds to the clicked button so I can delete the current record.This is what I have: Protected Sub LinkButtonDelete_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Try Dim cmd As SqlCommand Dim objConnection As SqlConnection objConnection = New SqlConnecti...

adding / deleting table rows, and accessing controls within added rows
Hi everyone,I would like to know what is a good and simple way to achieve this using asp.net.  Basically i would like the ability to add and delete rows, preferably table rows.  Against each row is its delete button, hitting it will delete the corresponding row.  There is only 1 Add button to add a new row.  In each row, there are say 2 textboxes.  When i hit, say a calculate button, i wish to be able to access all the available textboxes in all the available rows in the event handler, and say just output a sum.If GridView is suggested, could you please explain why it is used when in this case i have no meaningful datasouce ( i only have user input ) for the GridView. Thanks  bumpity....no one can help me ? :(  still no one ....? i'm about to give up... Hi chickenlaksa, I recommand you use the gridview control. (1)You can add the 'add','delete' ,'modify'button at the bottom of gridview. When user click 'delete','modify' button, he must select an item form gridvew, then you can operate the related row. Then you can rebind the gridview. (2)When user click 'add' button, you can add can make pannel visiual in order to input some value. But you can use javascript to operate table, and caluate the total sum. http://www.codeproject.com/KB/HTML/html.aspx  Sincerely,Hua Jun LiPlease remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no he...

Adding a new row of controls on button click
Hi all,In a site I'm currently writing, I have a page in which users can add entries to the database.  The entries are very simple, consisting of selections from three drop down lists.In order to make it easier on the user, I would prefer to allow multiple entries to be created on the same page.  To keep the page clutter down, I want the user to be able to click on a button to add another row for entry creation on the same page.For a visual example of what I mean, check out this link. At the very bottom under "advanced search using boolean charts" is exactly what I wa...

adding row to a table control on button click
 Hi all, I'm trying to do something rather straightforward, but it's not working.I'm creating some sort of timesheet application where I want to be able to add rows with some date fields to my table control after I click on a button "add new row". This is the code I have behind the button "add row", and it works the first time I click it, but when I click it a second or a third time, no rows are being added... Any idea on how to solve this? Screenshot is here:  1 Protected Sub btnAddRow_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnAddRow.Click 2 ' add a new row to timesheet application 3 intRowCounter += 1 4 5 Dim extrarow As New TableRow 6 7 Dim extracel1 As New TableCell 8 Dim extracel2 As New TableCell 9 Dim extracel3 As New TableCell 10 Dim extracel4 As New TableCell 11 Dim extracel5 As New TableCell 12 Dim extracel6 As New TableCell 13 Dim extracel7 As New TableCell 14 Dim extracel8 As New TableCell 15 16 ' bind new dropdownlist with related tasks to selected study 17 Dim extradropdown As New DropDownList 18 extradropdown.DataSourceID = ObjectDataSourceTasks.ID 19 extradropdown.ID = "ObjectDataSourceTasks" & intRowCounter 20 21 extradropdown.DataTextField = "task_na...

Custom Gridview Control
I'm currently working on extending the functionality of the gridview control.  I've added a couple of features including a row click event, row hover style swapping, but now I'm curious if it's possible to add functionality similar to that of a button postbackurl property. With the button control, you can specify a postbackurl and the page will perform a cross page postback.  I'd like to add this functionality to my custom gridview control on row click, but I'm not sure where to start.  If I understand it right, I have to implement the IButtonControl in...

Gridview row click event fires, when clicking on controls within row.
I have a gridview control and I have added  a row click event which causes a post back. e.Row.Attributes.Add("onClick", this.Page.ClientScript.GetPostBackEventReference(this, "Select$" + e.Row.RowIndex.ToString()));  When the user clicks the row, i bind some data to a checkbox list, showing a uers a list of options they have chosen. All good so far. I also have a edit button for each row. When the row is in edit mode i display a checkbox and textbox. Problem is when i click on the textbox or the checkbox, it causes the row click event to fire. Any ida...

how can I put some text and a radio list control in the same like without adding another cell ?
I can't put any more cells due to the layout of this section of the page  ( it will break the rest )  I am trying to put some text   and then a horizonal radio list control but the control keeps going to the next time, even though I am adding no breaking spaces    <table class="body" width="100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0"> <tr> <td> ...

when ever a user click on add button a new row with another dropdown lists should be added to an existing table
Hi everyone, I am adding a Table(server control)  to a usercontrol . the table consists a row containing drop down lists with add button . when ever a user click on add button a new row with another dropdown lists should be added.is there any way to copy existing row? so that it uses AJAX not page post back .  I tried to a add new row in button click event to the table. even though a row is showing up on the user control as in pre-render  but it is not adding to the table i intended to add when the page is post backed i.e when the page is reloaded it shows a initial single row but not the rows i added. it would be great if anyone can help me with this Thanks     Hi, is there any way to copy existing row? so that it uses AJAX not page post back . From your description, do you mean you want to add a table row to your existing table without the postback, right? If so, why don’t you add an UpdatePanel in your user control, and when the button be triggered, just add the new row to your table programmatically. when the page is reloaded it shows a initial single row but not the rows i added. Generally, the reason of the issue is that the table’s initialization code snippet has been re-executed while page’s post back occurs. You need to use IsPostBack property to neglect those codes to avoid the table’s re-initializing. Thanks.Michael Jin.Microsoft Online Community SupportPlease remember to mark the replies as ans...

How to display the more than one row with items and buttons in gridview control. when i select three items at same time from categories(Fruits, Apples, Gifts). The selected items are displayed in g
Hi,when i select three items at same time from categories(Fruits, Apples, Gifts). The selected items are displayed in gridview.Here i would like to change this way "when i click more than one category at same time. it should be display selected item and button."For example: if i have to select Fruits, Apples from categories.  it should be display like 1st "row have Fruits and In 2nd row have Apples and button" in gridview.the button have some event.How can i do it? Please can anyone answer me.With kind requestThanks your query is very raw..can u details it out...Pl...

Adding events to controls, e.g. adding a click event to a label control
 Hi, Is it possible to add a click event to a label control so that one can make something happen when a user clicks the label? How can it be done? One could of course use a linkbutton control, which has an in-built click event. Unfortunately a linkbutton insists on doing a postback every time it is clicked.Thank you!Regards.   Label is span control in html call javascript onclick event <span id="fkdsjfl" onclick=" ">here</span> if you want to call postback event then chk ithttp://forums.devx.com/showthread.php?t=142257 If this post...

Dynamic rows / controls added to GridView on PostBack
Is it possible to add dynamic controls to GridView on PostBack and still have them maintain their state? The way I understand things, dynamic controls should be added in Page_Init method in order for their state to be maintained on PostBack. In my particular case though, I need to add these new controls in the middle of a GridView. It’s my understanding that the contents of GridView is contained in the PostBack, which is not available to Page_Init, so I’m in a bit of a catch-22. I can’t add my controls to the GridView in Page_Init because the GridView is not populated yet. And I won’t be able to maintain their state if I don’t add them in Page_Init. Am I missing something?  Thank you. dynamic controls can be added as late as page_load and still maintain their state.  Mike Banavige~~~~~~~~~~~~Need a site code sample in a different language? Try converting it with: http://converter.telerik.com/ Yes, but will they maintain their values on a postback? Based on the page life cycle documentation I have seen, the postback data is processed before Load, after Init. So while it's true that there will not be a problem with corrupting the ViewState when controls are added in Page_Load method, their values will be lost because the postback data processing stage will have already happened. you can add them as late as page_load. viewstate and the postback data will catch up with them.Mike Banavige~~~~~~~~~~~~Need a site code sample in a diffe...

Adding custom row at runtime in GridView Control
I want to add one row below my header row that spans 5 columns to my GridView. The html I want to add is below. Is this possible, to add this row at runtime to the GridView? <tr>   <td class="gridViewAddRow" colspan="5" style="padding-top:4px;">      <asp:ImageButton ID="imgBtn_AddEntity" runat="server" ImageUrl="images/icons/add.gif" OnClientClick="SetModalValue('AddEntity')" /></td></tr>...

Dynamically adding rows and controls to gridview on postback
I'm very new to ASP.net and am having a bit of a problem navigating around all the “magic” with databound controls and viewstate, etc.   I’m working on an application that displays items in a list that is very similar to what hotmail / gmail looks like – there is table of items (I’m using GridView for this) that has checkboxes in the first column for selection and it display x number of items per page. I’m trying to add a feature where some of those items (rows in the GridView) actually represent a group of items and have a expand / collapse (+)/(-) button to the left of the...

Dynamic rows / controls added to GridView on PostBack
Is it possible to add dynamic controls to GridView on PostBack and still have them maintain their state? The way I understand things, dynamic controls should be added in Page_Init method in order for their state to be maintained on PostBack. In my particular case though, I need to add these new controls in the middle of a GridView. It’s my understanding that the contents of GridView is contained in the PostBack, which is not available to Page_Init, so I’m in a bit of a catch-22. I can’t add my controls to the GridView in Page_Init because the GridView is not populated yet. And ...

I've added button withevent into row of gridview but when i click it , click event didn't fire.
I've add button withevent in empty row of gridview but when i click it , click event didn't fire. what's worng is it? My code is: Partial Class dc_so Inherits System.Web.UI.Page Dim WithEvents btnAdd As New Button Dim txbSoId As New TextBox Dim txbCartonName As New TextBox Protected Sub gvSo_RowDataBound(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridViewRowEventArgs) Handles gvSo.RowDataBound If e.Row.RowType = DataControlRowType.DataRow Then ' check for empty data If Convert.ToString(DataBinder.Eval(e.Row.DataItem, "so_id")).ToString.Trim = "" Then btnAdd.Text...

GridView
Hi all, In the gridview, can I make some rows have buttons and dropdown boxes available and some rows only labels?  The reason I want to do this is: I have a row below the grid (not in the grid) with a button to show a popup, for one column, and a dropdown to select a value.   there is an add button on the right side of this row that adds the values to the grid.  But, when I do that, can I make the row that I just added to the grid still have the same appearance as the bottom row?   Then, only when the user clicks the save button at the top of the screen, ...

Adding a new row in the gridview on click of add button..
Hi, I have a gridview which gets populated by calling BLL method . My BLL returns Datatable and am binding it to the gridview.Now i want to add new row.For that i have written aspx as below:   <asp:GridView ID="gvSubContractor" runat="server" AutoGenerateColumns="False" EmptyDataText="No Data"Width="959px" ShowFooter="false" OnRowCreated="gvSubContractor_RowCreated" onrowcommand="gvSubContractor_RowCommand"> <RowStyle CssClass="ItemStyle" /> <Columns> <asp:TemplateField...

Accessing controls created in a dynamic added gridview row
 Hi all,1) On page_load i'm adding a new row at the end of my gridview. Inside the new row i'm creating a new textbox :If Not GridView1.Rows.Count = 0 ThenDim oGridViewRow As New GridViewRow(0, 0, DataControlRowType.DataRow, DataControlRowState.Insert)Dim oTableCell As New TableCell()Dim TextBox1 As New TextBoxTextBox1.ID = "TextBox1"oTableCell.Controls.Add(TextBox1)GridView1.Controls(0).Controls.AddAt(GridView1.Rows.Count + 1, oGridViewRow)2) I would like, when I click on button1 (somewhere in my page), to be able to retreive the value of TextBox1.I'm currently un...

adding the value of text box inside the gridview control
Hi, I m having 3 infragistics text in gridview Control template field. I need to add two text box value and i want to store tyhe value in third text box. the following is the code.   <asp:GridView ID="GridCollection" runat="server" AllowPaging="True" AllowSorting="True"AutoGenerateColumns="False" BackColor="White" BorderWidth="0px" Font-Names="verdana" Font-Size="Smaller" Width="100%"> <Columns> <asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Sl No"> <ItemTempl...

Dynamically adding rows / cells to table server control
I'm looping through and adding rows / cells to a table server control.  Works without a problem.  However, when go to perform an operation on that table (after clicking a linkButton) the table goes back to it's original form (ie. only containing a header row).  What am I doing wrong?<asp:Table ID="copySkuTable" runat="server" CssClass="item" >        <asp:TableHeaderRow HorizontalAlign="left" CssClass="item">           ...

How to delete controls in GridView when the delete button in a row is clicked
Hi,   I am having issues with my gridview.....i added 2 dropdown and 2 compare validators....whenever i delete a row though......the dropdown and compare validators are becoming null........thus when i click a button, it is still validating.............anyway to delete this when i click the delete button or even handle?   Please help.  ...

Adding row number to first cell in Datalist control
I have three rows username/count/sum name/1/$100 name/0/$0 I want to put their rank infront of their name. username/count/sum 1. name/1/$100 2. name/0/$0 Any ideas? In case you are talking about adding a counter column then take a look @ How to Add a Counter Column to the DataGridSushila Bowalekar PatelVisual ASP/ASP.NET MVPhttp://weblogs.asp.net/sushilasb...

Adding design time property to user control like a list?
A question on user control design time properties...  I have a custom user control that I am making, c# vstudio 2005. I give the control multiple properties like:  1 private bool colorRankDescend = false; 2 public bool ColorRankDescend 3 { 4 get { return colorRankDescend; } 5 set { colorRankDescend = value; } 6 } This allows me to set this property in the html source multiple times for different instances of the same user control used throughout the page (at design time). My question is:...

Web resources about - Adding row (one at a time) in gridview on a button click. And cells of added row should contain controls like DROPDOWN LIST or TEXT BOX. - asp.net.presentation-controls

GridView SelectedItem Binding Gotcha in WinRT
Last night when I was doing some WinRT hacking I was trying to setup databinding to the selected item in the GridView control and I ran into ...

CNW Group
Home Services Beyond the Wire About CNW Financials Webcasts Events My CNW All News Releases Advanced Search Gridview Latest News Releases All ...

CNW Group
... Services Beyond the Wire About CNW my CNW CNW Access CNW Directories Financials Webcasts Events my CNW All News Releases Advanced Search Gridview ...

CNW Group
Home Services Beyond the Wire About CNW Financials Webcasts Events My CNW All News Releases Add a Filter Gridview Latest News Releases All Today ...

New CmdLets of Powershell 2.0
New CmdLets of Powershell 2.0

Price Drop: Softbox
... objects- create product reflection- changing the background with something more interestingUse it as:- softbox- honeycomb softbox- gridview ...

Profile.aspx: ASP Alliance

Quick Answers - CodeProject
Questions - Free source code and tutorials for Software developers and Architects.; Updated: 25 Oct 2012

DotNetKicks.com - Upcoming stories
DotNetKicks.com is a community based news site edited by our members. It specialises in .NET development techniques, technologies and tools including ...

View Features - ExtendASP
Call 847-681-9827 or Request a Demo View Features Testimonials Pricing About Us Coming Soon ExtendASP exposes every feature, more than any other ...