Use this portal or the Starter Kit?

I'm starting this from scratch and am curious as to whether it's recommended to use the IBuySpy portal or the Starter Kit portal. What are the feature differences? I guess the same question could be applied to the commerce templates too.

Can anyone give me some direction here?
Thanks!!!!
0
MerlinzLair
5/9/2004 10:06:44 PM
asp.net.portal-starter-kit 2189 articles. 0 followers. Follow

have you seen this post yet?

http://www.ibuyspy.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=296984
if you want to use VB.NET I would go with DNN. I went with IBS Portal C# because of two reasons.
1) I like the fact that the tabs are in a database.
2) I wanted to learn ASP.NET, however, if I had a rush to have a portal I would certainly go with DNN.
Graphfixz Data & Web Design
http://www.graphfixz.com
0
Graphfixz
5/10/2004 7:55:10 PM
Thanks for the response. I had seen the config data differences but was wondering if there was something else I was missing. Also, after this post I had downloaded the DNN and reviewed that. It looks like I'll go with that product.

Thanks for the info!
0
MerlinzLair

When I deleted PortalCfg.xsd,the Portal Starter Kit can still work normally.Then What is the use of PortalCfg.xsd in Portal Starter Kit?
Thanks! The purpose of PortalCfg.xsd is to make the layout and validate the PortalCfg.xml! The struct of PortalCfg.xml is based on PortalCfg.xsdregards João Martins...

use portal starter kit with community starter kit
I am using the portalvbsdk and community starterkit but both have different user login database, is it possible to connect both starter kits with only one user login panel? Sorry, I am very new with ASP.NET I don't think so. The permissions in portal are different than permissions in community. If a person only logs in one and not the other, the permission settings will always be wrong for the one which has no login. ...

Using VS.NET to create NEW module for Portal Starter Kit
I'm trying to build my 1st NEW module for the portal starter kit, but I'm not sure what VS.NET is doing...it seems to be creating the wrong 'inherits from' This is the beginning of my new module codebehind file Public Class Charts Inherits System.Web.UI.Page ................................................................................. This is the beginning of an existing module codebehind (that works) Namespace ASPNET.StarterKit.Portal Public MustInherit Class Announcements Inherits ASPNET.StarterKit.Portal.PortalModuleControl .....................

IBuySpy Portal vs. Portal Starter Kit
I am new to portals and relatively new to ASP.NET and I would appreciate some clarification about IBS and the Portal Starter Kit. I have read existing postings and come away with the impression that the Portal Starter Kit is a more updated version of IBS, which is not being further developed. But then I notice a lot of developer activity on the forums for both IBS and Portal Starter Kit and Microsoft features both prominently and independently on the ASP.NET site. I have been leaning toward IBS because I have the Wrox book Building an ASP.NET Intranet to guide my initial work in add...

Differences between the Club Starter Kit, Club Starter Kit 2.0, and Extended Club Starter Kit
I'm a little confused as the the differences between these 3 starter kits, can someone point the differences out to me?Victor Corey I picked the first one, because I thought that it would be the easiest and least complicated to understand and work with.  I have the same question.  You posted this some time ago, I guess nobody knows.  I am only posting this so it will show up again, and maybe someone will address it.  Thanks. I don't know about the extended, but I worked with the Club Site Starter Kit for several days and got stuck when needing to actually get ...

IBuySpy Portal and Portal Starter Kit Security Issue
Yesterday we became aware of a security vulnerability in two of our sample applications: the IBuySpy Portal and the Portal Starter Kit. We have temporarily removed the IBuySpy Portal sample download and are actively working on an update. An updated Portal Starer Kit sample (version 1.0b) is now available which fixes the problem for that sample. This email provides the steps to immediately fix existing sites and mitigate the potential for a malicious attack. Who is vulnerable? -- Any version of the VB.NET IBuySpy Portal sample configured to use html forms authentication. -- A...

I Buy Spy Portal vs Portal Starter Kit
There seems to be lots of confusion between the IBS Portal and the Portal Starter Kit. Lots of people publish quastions relating to the IBS here, and lots of people answer to questions about the Portal Starter Kit as if it was the IBS. It might be a good idea if a few people that are well familiar with both versions post some info as to the differences. This will help many not only with their confusion but also chose which one to use, based on these differences. Thanks When I started this thread I was sure it will be flooded with opinions and comparisons between IBS Portal and Portal St...

Using Globalization with Portal Starter Kit...
Hello,I have seen a few articles on globalization, but am still trying to find a way to do this with the portal. I have tried setting the current culture to 'de-DE' and a few others, but it has not panned out for me yet. Is there another way to do this without the creation of resx files for each culture that I wish to display the settings for? Can I manipulate the system table to include the new culture settings? I am not completely clear on how globalization works within this portal. Could someone please point me in a direction?Thanks...Dave Brown I had the same problem with the portal no...

Using Portal Starter Kit in own application
I couldn't install PSK as well because of the DB problem. Anyway, I would like to use some of the files from PSK in my application. I think there are a few things that I need to change in the component .vb files as well as global.asax. Can anyone tell me how do I go about it? For example, there's an error when I use "Imports ASPNET.StarterKit.Portal" in my Configuration.vb Thanks Make sure your namespaces are in sync....

IBuySpy Portal and Portal Starter Kit Security Issue #2
Yesterday we became aware of a security vulnerability in two of our sample applications: the IBuySpy Portal and the Portal Starter Kit. We have temporarily removed the IBuySpy Portal sample download and are actively working on an update. An updated Portal Starer Kit sample (version 1.0b) is now available which fixes the problem for that sample. This email provides the steps to immediately fix existing sites and mitigate the potential for a malicious attack. Who is vulnerable? -- Any version of the VB.NET IBuySpy Portal sample configured to use html forms authentication. -- A...

Portal Starter Kit Using for production site
Hi           I can't understand the licencing for using of portal for production.  Can the any body explain me using of portal with the little customice pages for production site is leagle or not.Bamu All the Starter Kits are complimentary building blocks, which makes it easy for Asp.Net developers to start developing their own applications. You may alter the look and content of the Application, add your own solutions to it, and ultimately use the end result in production without having to pay any licensing fees. So, yes, it's totally ...

Portal Starter Kit
I'm trying to download the portal starter kit, but I keep getting an error message from download.microsoft.com. Does anyone have the installer that I can download? Thanks Did you ever get it to download??No Animals were harmed in the making of the Application Hammer12...

How to do this in Portal Starter Kit
Hi, I designed a website (let's call it WebSiteA) using the Portal Starter Kit, one of the tabs is only visible to users that are logged in. Within this tab, I had a quick link or a button, when the user click on it, another website (WebSiteB) will be launched. That is no problem. The problem is if the user did not log in WebSiteA, he/she should not be allowed to view WebSiteB if he/she tried to launch WebSiteB directly from the web browser. How to implement this? I want to use Cookies, but not sure if this is the right solution. Any help is appreciated! cookies could work or check th...

Portal starter Kit
I'm getting ready to use the Portal starter Kit to for a large school web site. Has anybody had any problems with the starter kits and if so what where they I think they are all great solutions! I personally love the DotNetNuke portal and feel it is the most superior solution out there for several reasons: 1) there is a team of 30 programmers constantly developing future versions 2) there is a great community forum here (dotnetnuke forum) for help/support/questions 3) there are over 500 add-on modules available for almost any need - some are free and some are for money 4) ope...

Web resources about - Use this portal or the Starter Kit? - asp.net.portal-starter-kit

Starter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LinguPinguin Starter - Deutsch Chinesisch / 汉语 德语 for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod ...
Get LinguPinguin Starter - Deutsch Chinesisch / 汉语 德语 on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

All sizes - Fire-Starters - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Skylanders Trap Team Starter Pack Review & New Light / Dark Elements - YouTube
We go hands on with the new Skylanders Trap Team Starter Pack and suggest that the numbers of enemy trappable characters for the new game indicate ...

Canterbury Bulldogs halfback Trent Hodkinson declares himself a certain starter for Penrith Panthers ...
Canterbury halfback Trent Hodkinson is confident his injured knee will withstand any extra attention Penrith's big men throw at him having trained ...

School starters set up to fail the 2025 Asia literacy target
Asian language teaching in Australian schools has declined to the point where more year 12 students are studying Latin than Chinese.

Windows 8 is an enterprise 'non-starter' because IT sees no value in changes
Windows 8 faces a number of hurdles in the enterprise, but the biggest reason it won't replace the current corporate champion, Windows 7, is ...

Royal Tour: David Kang fired a starter’s pistol Prince Charles in 1994, now he’s a barrister - DailyTelegraph ...
PRINCE Charles will touch down in Sydney today, where the man who rushed a stage firing a starter’s pistol during his 1994 royal tour is now ...

The perfect party starters
... for the infectious energy and enthusiasm not to rub off on the crowd — and that’s why we think Close Counters will be the perfect party-starters ...

Slow starters can win - they just need a jolt from the coach
IT'S getting a bit weird. The Waratahs must learn to click in attack without a half-time lecture from coach Michael Cheika after three second-half ...