Problem installing Portal Starter Kit

I downloaded the portal starter kit and tried to install it.

The problem is, it says it cannot find my SQL Server. I checked it and doubled checked if it was running but still the problem persisted. Any help around here?
0
jvmombay
11/17/2004 6:35:27 AM
asp.net.portal-starter-kit 2189 articles. 0 followers. Follow

check the connection string in the web.config file is correct
0
webber123456
11/17/2004 4:44:40 PM
I have the same problem.  The installation stops when it could not connect with the SQL server.  Help???
0
hngu107
11/19/2004 1:19:33 AM
I had this same issue. I found parts of answers in a few other posts. I fixed it by:

1) creating an instance besides the default instance, name it portal or whatever you wish
2) make sure the instance is started, go to admin tools,services and start SQLAGENTinstance - check the other SQL/MSDE services are running
3) install site and choose new instance in drop down on the connection test window
Good Luck
0
emonti
11/25/2004 5:49:07 AM
This has been very usefull for me, I had the same problem because i missed the the setup.ini configuration when installing MSDE.

http://support.esiusa.com/index.cfm?articleid=108
To install an instance of MSDE:
After SQL2KDESKSP3 downloads run it. This will unpack the files you will need to install MSDE.
Go to the folder you selected to unpack the files into. Switch to the MSDE folder.
Update the SETUP.INI file as follows:
[Options]
INSTANCENAME=<YourInstanceName> (replace with whatever instance name)
SAPWD=<a password>
TARGETDIR=<folder name with trailing slash>
Example:
[Options]
INSTANCENAME=Portal
SAPWD=Portal
TARGETDIR=c:\Portal\
Run SETUP.EXE in the MSDE folder
Then try to install the ASP.net Portal, you will be able to select the "Portal" Instance
0
smanini
12/6/2004 4:15:42 PM
A restart of the computer can solve it. I spent a couple of hours trying to solve this problem, but after a restart the SQL instance was found (XP Pro, IIS, VS). I just get amazed over my own problem solving strategies sometimes...
0
baidarka
1/5/2005 10:22:01 AM
A restart of computer had solved the problem for me too!
0
edmister

When I deleted PortalCfg.xsd,the Portal Starter Kit can still work normally.Then What is the use of PortalCfg.xsd in Portal Starter Kit?
Thanks! The purpose of PortalCfg.xsd is to make the layout and validate the PortalCfg.xml! The struct of PortalCfg.xml is based on PortalCfg.xsdregards João Martins...

use portal starter kit with community starter kit
I am using the portalvbsdk and community starterkit but both have different user login database, is it possible to connect both starter kits with only one user login panel? Sorry, I am very new with ASP.NET I don't think so. The permissions in portal are different than permissions in community. If a person only logs in one and not the other, the permission settings will always be wrong for the one which has no login. ...

Installation problem: Install Portal Starter Kit on top of MSDE
I installed MSDE. For whatever reason, the server name is my login name, say "nature", rather than the default "localhost". When I start to install the starter kit, it tries to look for "localhost". Definitely it always fails and I can't install it. Any suggestion? Thanks in advance... LeoLeo try this connection string format as a key in the web.config file: <add key="ConnectionString" value="Server='nature'; database='myDB'; User ID='myUID'; Password='myPwd' " /> ...

problem in instaling the portal starter kit
hi,i am trying to install asp.net portal starter kit but i am getting errorthat the program can not open the default database server.   Can anyone tell me how to solve this problem?TIA This error is telling you you do not have the correct connection string in the web.config or either you have the correct connection string but the user you set up in it does not have permission to the database defined in the string. Post your string with out the password and someone will be able ot spot the error for you.   hth BruceDynamicVB.Net...

Portal Starter Kit problem with Installation
I cannot complete the installation of the Portal Starter Kit.  I perform the download and it proceeds alright until it asks me where I want put the local database instance and it gives a dropdown box.  The only value in the dropdown is 'localhost' and the install button is greyed.  when I run 'Test Connection', I get 'Connection Failed' message.  When I press 'Cancel', the install program rolls itself back.How do I get this to work? Hi m8 I take it you have got SQL running locally have you...? Also I want to know the fundamental cause and  how to slove. But I th...

I have problem installing Starter Portal Kit in my home PC
i using Window XP Professional, i go throught all the things and it goes well, Test Connection and its success, but i got an error after the Test Connection part, "Unknown error (0x8000050000)". any1 can help me? this is the error http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/2720/untitled7jg.jpg...

I have problems with Portal Starter Kit installing (It can be FAQ-thread of this forum)
Hello to all .NET fans. I have a problem with Portal Starter Kit installing (with all versions of the Kit). When we pass through the installation process "database dialog box" occurs and we can choose machine on which the Portal Starter Kit database is created/modyfied. In my case, I have MS SQL 2000 Server installed on localhost that's working fine. And when I try to pass "database dialog box" "test connection" on localhost (localhost-instance of MS SQL 2000 Server) fails. It says "connection failed". That's why I cannot install this Kit on m...

Portal starter kit installation
I work on installing Portal Starter kit together with SQL(MSDE), I have installed SQL MSDE as described, but when Portal installation comes to the point where you have to select a DataBase instance, there is only "localhost" to choose, which do not exist. I'm shure that I missed something, but what ??. Regards Niels J. Nielsen Some people have solved this problem by reinstalling MSDE. Follow the instruction on the System Requirements link for MSDE during installation. Vertigo Software www.vertigosoftware.com That didn't work for me and I'm still receiving the same e...

Portal Starter Kit Installation?
Hi, I just downloaded the Portal Site Starter kit and used the installer to place all the files into the default location on my hard drive. I have IIS installed on my computer and when I click on the link in the readme file, which is http://localhost/PortalVBSDK it takes me to a page saying server unavailable, I tried copying and pasting into my homepage which is on a host server and the same thing appears. Im guessing it has something to do with web.config but I can't figure out what or how to change it. So here is my question in better detail; I want to place the portal site on my se...

IBuySpy Portal vs. Portal Starter Kit
I am new to portals and relatively new to ASP.NET and I would appreciate some clarification about IBS and the Portal Starter Kit. I have read existing postings and come away with the impression that the Portal Starter Kit is a more updated version of IBS, which is not being further developed. But then I notice a lot of developer activity on the forums for both IBS and Portal Starter Kit and Microsoft features both prominently and independently on the ASP.NET site. I have been leaning toward IBS because I have the Wrox book Building an ASP.NET Intranet to guide my initial work in add...

Differences between the Club Starter Kit, Club Starter Kit 2.0, and Extended Club Starter Kit
I'm a little confused as the the differences between these 3 starter kits, can someone point the differences out to me?Victor Corey I picked the first one, because I thought that it would be the easiest and least complicated to understand and work with.  I have the same question.  You posted this some time ago, I guess nobody knows.  I am only posting this so it will show up again, and maybe someone will address it.  Thanks. I don't know about the extended, but I worked with the Club Site Starter Kit for several days and got stuck when needing to actually get ...

I Buy Spy Portal vs Portal Starter Kit
There seems to be lots of confusion between the IBS Portal and the Portal Starter Kit. Lots of people publish quastions relating to the IBS here, and lots of people answer to questions about the Portal Starter Kit as if it was the IBS. It might be a good idea if a few people that are well familiar with both versions post some info as to the differences. This will help many not only with their confusion but also chose which one to use, based on these differences. Thanks When I started this thread I was sure it will be flooded with opinions and comparisons between IBS Portal and Portal St...

IBuySpy Portal and Portal Starter Kit Security Issue
Yesterday we became aware of a security vulnerability in two of our sample applications: the IBuySpy Portal and the Portal Starter Kit. We have temporarily removed the IBuySpy Portal sample download and are actively working on an update. An updated Portal Starer Kit sample (version 1.0b) is now available which fixes the problem for that sample. This email provides the steps to immediately fix existing sites and mitigate the potential for a malicious attack. Who is vulnerable? -- Any version of the VB.NET IBuySpy Portal sample configured to use html forms authentication. -- A...

Error when installing portal starter kit
Hi I get an error right at the end of the install of ASP.Net portal.'The system cannot find the path specified'Any ideasThanks In which process? are you getting a good SQL connection and are you installing remote or local? I am not sure what you mean by which process.  We are installing the portal on Windows 2003 web edition which will connect to a dedicated remote Windows 2003 server with SQL 2000 on it.regardsJon...

Web resources about - Problem installing Portal Starter Kit - asp.net.portal-starter-kit

Solar panels are lifted into place.

Iran installing new nuclear equipment

Gillard defends installing Slipper