Installing PortalVBVS into VS.net on .NET Server 2003

I've been trying all day to get the VB version installed, without success.

I need help with two things - getting it configured in VS.Net, and getting the web.config connection string right.
I've run the installer and have the files on c:\PortalVBVS.
I've created a virtual web called "PortalVB" which points at c:\PortalVBVS\PortalVBVS. When I browse with IIS Manager I see the subdirectories as I should.
I've created a database called Portal on MSDE running on the same server, and populated it by running the Portaldb.sql script. I see tables and columns, and I can retrieve data from all the tables.
I've edited the web.config script as follows:
<add key="ConnectionString" value="Persist Security Info=false;Data Source=DOTNET\VSDOTNET2003;Initial Catalog=portal;User ID=dbtest;Password=dbtest" />
I've created a database user dbtest with password dbtest with access to the database. My earlier efforts using Trusted Connection also didn't work.
With this setting, the message I get is "Login failed for user 'dbtest'. Reason: Not associated with trusted SQL Server Connection". I need to know how to deal with this issue.
I've also tried to figure out how to bring the application into VS.Net as a Solution/Project. It isn't obvious.
All help appreciated!
0
wr
4/8/2003 6:46:14 PM
asp.net.portal-starter-kit 2189 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I got it working, so I can answer my own questions. Hopefully it will help someone else.

To get the project into VS.Net, it was necessary to make the name of the virtual web agree with the directory name, i.e. PortalVBVS. I was then able to go to VS.Net, create an empty solution, then add the project by clicking File, Add Project, Existing Project from Web, and navigating to the file PortalVBVS.vbproj. VS.Net then happily connected to the web and brought the project in.
Getting the database connection to work was a little trickier. The problem was, MSDE was set up for Windows authentication only. When I changed it to mixed mode, i.e. both Windows and SQL Server authentication allowed, I was then able to change my connection string to connect. The entry that worked is:
<add key="ConnectionString" value="server=DOTNET\VSdotNET2003;database=Portal;uid=dbtest;pwd=password;" />
I had previously created user dbtest as a SQL user authorized to access the Portal database.
With those changes made, I'm now happily running the Portal, and able to modify it in VS.Net 2003.
0
wr
4/10/2003 3:56:51 PM
Hi wr@macoun.com,

When I installed ASP.NET Mobile Internet Toolkit on Windows Server 2003, I got the following error. Do you know how to solve this problem? Or I have to uninstall .NET Framework 1.1 and install .NET Framework 1.0
"Setup has detected an incompatible version of the Microsoft .NET Framework. The Mobile Internet Toolkit cannot be installed at this time. Please see the Readme.htm file for more detail."
Thanks,
BlackFalcon
0
BlackFalcon
4/14/2003 5:10:34 AM
Nevermind, I found the answer.  Mobile Internet Toolkit is not needed if I install .NET Framework 1.1

BlackFalcon
0
BlackFalcon
4/14/2003 2:07:17 PM
If you get the error ...Mobile Internet Toolkit cannot be installed at this time ... when you are trying to install DotNetNuke, you DO NOT NEED the Mobile Internet Toolkit with Framework 1.1...make sure your virtual directory is same as real directory and follow the install directions on http://dotnetvet.net/duh/ and you should be home free...Anyone using WebMatrix instead of VS to work with DNN source?

ludis

IIS server works with vs.net but not vs.net 2003 ?
Trying to program in asp.net 1.1 via visual studio and running IIS 5.1. After getting asp.net to work, i am getting the dreaded '...Internal Server Error 500..." if I try to start a new Solution in VS.Net 2003. However, VS.Net will allow me to start a web application with no problems. Truth is stranger than fiction, but nothing is stranger than visual studio.... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks....

both VS .NET 2003 AND VS .NET 2005 ARE INSTALLED SAME COMPUTER. IT IS POSSABLE
Edited by moderator XIII: please use a normal font size: Hi I have my computer Visual Studio .NET 2003 and Framwork 1.1 and all propram are runing VS .NET 2003 . I want to load my computer VS .NET 2005 and Framwork 2.0. I am not Interest to uninstalled VS .NET 2003 AND Framwork 1.1. I want both VS .NET 2003 AND VS .NET 2005 ARE INSTALLED SAME COMPUTER. IT IS POSSABLE . PLEASE HELP ME. IF ANY PROBLEM ARE THER IF VS ..NET 2003 AND 2005 ARE SAME COMPUTER. Please help me. Saikat Hi, I have both the frameworks and IDE's installed on my dev laptop without any problems. However if you wish t...

VS.NET 2005 vs VS.NET 2003

Is it possible to install vs.net 2003 ans vs.net 2005 on the same machine ?
hello, All:             I am use the vs.net 2003 on my computer ,now I want to install vs.net 2005 on  the same machine .             is it possible to do it ?  when I install vs.net 2005 finish,anything special need to be config ?   thanks in advanced!   Yes you can install both.  You will need the 2.o/3.0 version of the framework for 2005, and if you run 1.1 and 2.0+ apps on IIS you'll need to set up sepaarte application pools (IIS6). JeffP...

Can you have VS .net 2003 AND VS.net 2005 Beta 2 installed on same machine?
Right now I have Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2 installed on my machine, but I also need to put on the Visual Studio 2003 Professional to work with some older projects. Can I installed the Visual Studio 2003 Professional on the same machine with out messing anything up?Thanks Yes you can have them side by side!   Also see http://blogs.msdn.com/robcaron/archive/2005/04/20/410224.aspx link of Robcorn, it also could helps you!Sreedharhttp://www.w3coder.orgweblog http://weblogs.asp.net/skoganti great thanks, I am installing the 2003 version now on my machine that already has the ...

Can I install and use my VS.NET 2002 MSDN Help in VS.NET 2003?
Hi! I would like to know if I could install MSDN help from VS.NET 2002 (Architect) for VS.NET 2003 (Architect). Thanks! :)...

Vs.Net 2002 and Vs.Net 2003
Hello: I've one question that keeps messing with my head, I want to know if you have: 1. VS.Net 2002 with Framework 1.0 and 1.1 in the same PC, which Framework it compiles apps for? 2. VS.Net 2003 with Framework 1.0 and 1.1 in the same PC, which Framework it compiles apps for? Is it possible to have an app compiled for framework 1.0 that uses DLLs or assemblies compiled for framework 1.1???? and still work ok?? thanks a lot....

VS.NET 2003 to VS.Net 2005
Hi   I just converetd my VS.Net 2003 project to VS.NET 2005 using the convert wizard in Visual Studio 2005 Web Application Project. It compiled with no build errors and a few warnings. When Iam trying to view the project, then it gives me 404 error. Can someone help ? Thanks Could you confirm you are using WAP (Web Application Projects) versus the built-in WSP (Web Site model)? If you have a project file after converting, then you are using WAP. Could you post the actual 404 error you got? Also, did you set your start page in the converted project?  -Mike-...

VS.NET 2005 vs VS.NET 2003 #2

vb.net vs c#.net vs j#.net

Can I install Visual Basic 6 on my machine which has VS.NET 2003 & VS.NET 2005?
I may have a need to use Visual Basic 6 for a legacy project in the near future.  I was wondering if I can install VB6 on my machine which already has VS.NET 2003 & VS.NET 2005 installed on it? I did not know if doing so would cause issues or not so thought I would ask before just leaping and doing.   Ira Richard Smith At one time i had to install Visual Basic 6 on my machine with VS.NET 2003 and had "NO" issues. I would suggest take a backup of your machine or a restore point before you proceed. Please post your experience. I am sure some one would appreci...

How to open Community starter kit in VS.NET for VB.NET?
Hi,   Some one please tell me how to open community starter kit in VS.NET 2003 as there is no solution object or project file in CommunityStarterKit folder. I have read the documents and installation is fine. Some one tell me please   Thanks There are two different formats of the CSK download. One format uses the SDK compilers and is best if you use notepad, webmatrix or similar. The other format is for Visual Studio . Net users.http://www.asp.net/StarterKits/DownloadCommunity.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1 Assuming you downloaded the VS.net version and installed it us...

Migrating from VS.NET 2003 to VS.NET 2008
 We are getting ready to start migrating all our applications from Visual Studio 2003 to Visual Studio 2008. Is anyone aware of any direct conversion issues? Also. a lot of our 1.1 apps use datatables as the datasource can we still do this in 2008? Yes you can.I have done some migration between 1.1 and 2.0 and there were some small issues but in general most of the things worked fine.For example Microsoft has changed the html validator in Visual Studio.also some events works a little different. If you share session cookie between some 1.1 and 2.0 (or) later apps you have to do so...

Upgrade IBS from VS.NET to VS.NET 2003
Anyone encountered any problems while performing this upgrade? Like "ASPNetPortal.PortalModuleControl could not be loaded." If so, what is the casue, how did you fix it ? Thanks I know it is of no help but ... It went painlessly for me Sorry DavidMVarious IBS Addons available at http://www.snowcovered.comLead Developer [vb & c#] - MCAD I not have any problem. check the project references or try a clean install hmmm - thanks for the replies. I'm trying to help out the user who posted this message I'm struggling to find a reason why he's having suc...

Web resources about - Installing PortalVBVS into VS.net on .NET Server 2003 - asp.net.portal-starter-kit

Solar panels are lifted into place.

Iran installing new nuclear equipment

Gillard defends installing Slipper