Installation problem: Install Portal Starter Kit on top of MSDE

I installed MSDE. For whatever reason, the server name is my login name, say "nature", rather than the default "localhost". When I start to install the starter kit, it tries to look for "localhost". Definitely it always fails and I can't install it.

Any suggestion? Thanks in advance...
Leo
Leo
0
jchliu
7/21/2004 4:16:21 PM
asp.net.portal-starter-kit 2189 articles. 0 followers. Follow

try this connection string format as a key in the web.config file:
<add key="ConnectionString" value="Server='nature'; database='myDB'; User ID='myUID'; Password='myPwd' " />

0
webber123456

Problem installing Portal Starter Kit
I downloaded the portal starter kit and tried to install it. The problem is, it says it cannot find my SQL Server. I checked it and doubled checked if it was running but still the problem persisted. Any help around here? check the connection string in the web.config file is correct I have the same problem. The installation stops when it could not connect with the SQL server. Help??? I had this same issue. I found parts of answers in a few other posts. I fixed it by: 1) creating an instance besides the default instance, name it portal or whatever you wish 2) make sure the i...

problem in instaling the portal starter kit
hi,i am trying to install asp.net portal starter kit but i am getting errorthat the program can not open the default database server.   Can anyone tell me how to solve this problem?TIA This error is telling you you do not have the correct connection string in the web.config or either you have the correct connection string but the user you set up in it does not have permission to the database defined in the string. Post your string with out the password and someone will be able ot spot the error for you.   hth BruceDynamicVB.Net...

Portal Starter Kit problem with Installation
I cannot complete the installation of the Portal Starter Kit.  I perform the download and it proceeds alright until it asks me where I want put the local database instance and it gives a dropdown box.  The only value in the dropdown is 'localhost' and the install button is greyed.  when I run 'Test Connection', I get 'Connection Failed' message.  When I press 'Cancel', the install program rolls itself back.How do I get this to work? Hi m8 I take it you have got SQL running locally have you...? Also I want to know the fundamental cause and  how to slove. But I th...

I have problem installing Starter Portal Kit in my home PC
i using Window XP Professional, i go throught all the things and it goes well, Test Connection and its success, but i got an error after the Test Connection part, "Unknown error (0x8000050000)". any1 can help me? this is the error http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/2720/untitled7jg.jpg...

When I deleted PortalCfg.xsd,the Portal Starter Kit can still work normally.Then What is the use of PortalCfg.xsd in Portal Starter Kit?
Thanks! The purpose of PortalCfg.xsd is to make the layout and validate the PortalCfg.xml! The struct of PortalCfg.xml is based on PortalCfg.xsdregards João Martins...

use portal starter kit with community starter kit
I am using the portalvbsdk and community starterkit but both have different user login database, is it possible to connect both starter kits with only one user login panel? Sorry, I am very new with ASP.NET I don't think so. The permissions in portal are different than permissions in community. If a person only logs in one and not the other, the permission settings will always be wrong for the one which has no login. ...

Portal starter kit installation
I work on installing Portal Starter kit together with SQL(MSDE), I have installed SQL MSDE as described, but when Portal installation comes to the point where you have to select a DataBase instance, there is only "localhost" to choose, which do not exist. I'm shure that I missed something, but what ??. Regards Niels J. Nielsen Some people have solved this problem by reinstalling MSDE. Follow the instruction on the System Requirements link for MSDE during installation. Vertigo Software www.vertigosoftware.com That didn't work for me and I'm still receiving the same e...

Portal Starter Kit Installation?
Hi, I just downloaded the Portal Site Starter kit and used the installer to place all the files into the default location on my hard drive. I have IIS installed on my computer and when I click on the link in the readme file, which is http://localhost/PortalVBSDK it takes me to a page saying server unavailable, I tried copying and pasting into my homepage which is on a host server and the same thing appears. Im guessing it has something to do with web.config but I can't figure out what or how to change it. So here is my question in better detail; I want to place the portal site on my se...

I have problems with Portal Starter Kit installing (It can be FAQ-thread of this forum)
Hello to all .NET fans. I have a problem with Portal Starter Kit installing (with all versions of the Kit). When we pass through the installation process "database dialog box" occurs and we can choose machine on which the Portal Starter Kit database is created/modyfied. In my case, I have MS SQL 2000 Server installed on localhost that's working fine. And when I try to pass "database dialog box" "test connection" on localhost (localhost-instance of MS SQL 2000 Server) fails. It says "connection failed". That's why I cannot install this Kit on m...

Error installing portal starter kit
Hi I get an error right at the end of the install of ASP.Net portal. 'The system cannot find the path specified'We are installing the portal on Windows 2003 web edition which will connect to a dedicated remote Windows 2003 server with SQL 2000 on it. Any ideas? Thanks Jon  ...

Error when installing portal starter kit
Hi I get an error right at the end of the install of ASP.Net portal.'The system cannot find the path specified'Any ideasThanks In which process? are you getting a good SQL connection and are you installing remote or local? I am not sure what you mean by which process.  We are installing the portal on Windows 2003 web edition which will connect to a dedicated remote Windows 2003 server with SQL 2000 on it.regardsJon...

Installing a DotNetNuke Module in the Portal Starter Kit
Hi, I'm new to ASP.Net, so apologies if this is a basic question. I have created my own portal using the Portal Stater Kit and added modules to it. We are looking at a product Sigma-Pro by http://www.onyaktech.com/ which seems to be written for DotNetNuke, as it has a .dnn file, and i have successfully added it to my sample DotNetNuke. We would like to add it to our portal based on the Starter Kit, but are not sure how this can be done. I think the .dnn file is basically am MSI which creates the database and installs the relevant modules, so do i just have to do this all manuall...

Database issue while installing Portal Starter Kit.
I have MSDE running on my local work-station under the machine name (and not under 'localhost'). I am trying to install the ASP.NET Portal Starter Kit (to be host under IIS on my machine). When it reaches the step for database, I choose 'local' and then it comes with the dialog box of 'Test Connection' with 'localhost' written in the drop-down. This 'Test Connection' fails and as the drop down is non-editable, I even cannot enter my machine name onto it. It exits the complete setup there on. I next tried 'remote' database as installation option, but because I do not have Query Analyz...

Problems installing starter kit "The page cannot be found" after installation is complete
Hi, Ive spent two days trying to install issue tracker. i want to use the MSACCESS databse for cost reason. The operationing system is 2003 server running .NET and IIS. The installation seems to go fine untill I try to access the default page http://localhost/IssueTrackerVBVS/Default.aspx or http://localhost/IssueTracker/Default.aspxand I get he error "The page cannot be found"when I look at the installation log the only error is :"ERROR: Could not retrieve list of db servers" there is a MSACCESS database that is created by the installtion.&n...

Web resources about - Installation problem: Install Portal Starter Kit on top of MSDE - asp.net.portal-starter-kit

List of United States Army installations in Germany - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - Installation of a Ductless Air Conditioning System
Hochgeladen am 19.07.2011 Shop our ductless systems online http://ingramswaterandair.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=ductless&am... ...

New Apple Campus 2 video shows installation of massive glass panels
... throughout Apple's Campus 2 construction site, showing extensive progress including the beginning of interior and exterior glazing installation ...

Martin Luther King Jr. art installation to commemorate Marquette Park march
Washington Post Martin Luther King Jr. art installation to commemorate Marquette Park march Chicago Tribune Sonja Henderson, artist with the ...

SolarCity Accounts For 1/3 Of US Residential Rooftop Installations In 2015
Originally published on Solar Love. 2015 has been a good year for SolarCity after tallying over one-third of all residential rooftop installations ...