IBuySpy Portal vs. Portal Starter Kit

I am new to portals and relatively new to ASP.NET and I would appreciate some clarification about IBS and the Portal Starter Kit.

I have read existing postings and come away with the impression that the Portal Starter Kit is a more updated version of IBS, which is not being further developed.
But then I notice a lot of developer activity on the forums for both IBS and Portal Starter Kit and Microsoft features both prominently and independently on the ASP.NET site.
I have been leaning toward IBS because I have the Wrox book Building an ASP.NET Intranet to guide my initial work in adding new modules, which I know I need to do for my purposes.
I can't at the moment download a VB version of IBS because of ongoing work to address the security issue. So it IS being further developed! But the issue is addressed for the Portal Starter Kit which is available for download.
I am confused and would like to begin my portal work with the best current choice. I realize that there are other related non-Microsoft portals (e.g., dotnetnuke) but I want to start with the best MS choice and then consider others when I have a better understanding for making such a choice.
Any guidance to compare/contrast current status, active developer community, and future development plans for IBS and the Portal Starter Kit would be greatly appreciated.
I would also appreciate a time estimate (rough timeframe, not a promise) for release of the new VB download for IBS with the security fix completed.
0
peterdotnet
6/18/2003 3:23:44 PM
asp.net.portal-starter-kit 2189 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Well, the security bug has been fixed so it is ok now.  Just a suggestion, check out DotNetNuke, it is in VB.NET and is based on the IBS.
Chris Paterra

0
thecrispy1
6/20/2003 6:08:12 AM
I saw that the security bug is fixed for the VB.NET version of IBuySpy, which is great.

That still leaves a question about how a new developer is supposed to choose between IBuySpy Portal vs. Portal Starter Kit.
I leave the issue of non-MS portals such as DotNetNuke out of the picture for the moment and focus on what MS presents on its own ASP.NET site.
Regarding IBuySpy Portal vs. Portal Starter Kit,
What's the difference?
What's the point of maintaining both in parallel as MS starting points and forum communities?
How do new and longtime developers choose which community to participate in for reviewing posts and contributing ideas?
Is there a clearcut recommendation of one over the other?
0
peterdotnet
6/20/2003 5:09:45 PM
What's the difference ... The starter kit uses XML for much opf its configuration storage

How do new and longtime developers choose which community to participate in for reviewing posts and contributing ideas ... I made a decision to stay with the older version because it uses SQL Server, I had it deployed, many of the commercial modules use this version and are not compatible with the new starter kit
Is there a clearcut recommendation of one over the other ... see above for my POV
DavidM

Various IBS Addons available at http://www.snowcovered.com

Lead Developer [vb & c#] - MCAD
0
davidgmiles
6/20/2003 6:46:08 PM
Hi, David,

thanks for your introduction.
Can you clarify what is POV?
Have I understood correctly that modules depend on the way (in SQL server or XML files) of storing configurations? Or there are more dependencies (like dependency on the site structure, what else)?
Guennadi Vanine - Gennady Vanin - Геннадий Ванин
0
guenavan

When I deleted PortalCfg.xsd,the Portal Starter Kit can still work normally.Then What is the use of PortalCfg.xsd in Portal Starter Kit?
Thanks! The purpose of PortalCfg.xsd is to make the layout and validate the PortalCfg.xml! The struct of PortalCfg.xml is based on PortalCfg.xsdregards João Martins...

I Buy Spy Portal vs Portal Starter Kit
There seems to be lots of confusion between the IBS Portal and the Portal Starter Kit. Lots of people publish quastions relating to the IBS here, and lots of people answer to questions about the Portal Starter Kit as if it was the IBS. It might be a good idea if a few people that are well familiar with both versions post some info as to the differences. This will help many not only with their confusion but also chose which one to use, based on these differences. Thanks When I started this thread I was sure it will be flooded with opinions and comparisons between IBS Portal and Portal St...

IBuySpy Portal and Portal Starter Kit Security Issue
Yesterday we became aware of a security vulnerability in two of our sample applications: the IBuySpy Portal and the Portal Starter Kit. We have temporarily removed the IBuySpy Portal sample download and are actively working on an update. An updated Portal Starer Kit sample (version 1.0b) is now available which fixes the problem for that sample. This email provides the steps to immediately fix existing sites and mitigate the potential for a malicious attack. Who is vulnerable? -- Any version of the VB.NET IBuySpy Portal sample configured to use html forms authentication. -- A...

IBuySpy Portal and Portal Starter Kit Security Issue #2
Yesterday we became aware of a security vulnerability in two of our sample applications: the IBuySpy Portal and the Portal Starter Kit. We have temporarily removed the IBuySpy Portal sample download and are actively working on an update. An updated Portal Starer Kit sample (version 1.0b) is now available which fixes the problem for that sample. This email provides the steps to immediately fix existing sites and mitigate the potential for a malicious attack. Who is vulnerable? -- Any version of the VB.NET IBuySpy Portal sample configured to use html forms authentication. -- A...

use portal starter kit with community starter kit
I am using the portalvbsdk and community starterkit but both have different user login database, is it possible to connect both starter kits with only one user login panel? Sorry, I am very new with ASP.NET I don't think so. The permissions in portal are different than permissions in community. If a person only logs in one and not the other, the permission settings will always be wrong for the one which has no login. ...

Using VS.NET to create NEW module for Portal Starter Kit
I'm trying to build my 1st NEW module for the portal starter kit, but I'm not sure what VS.NET is doing...it seems to be creating the wrong 'inherits from' This is the beginning of my new module codebehind file Public Class Charts Inherits System.Web.UI.Page ................................................................................. This is the beginning of an existing module codebehind (that works) Namespace ASPNET.StarterKit.Portal Public MustInherit Class Announcements Inherits ASPNET.StarterKit.Portal.PortalModuleControl .....................

Portal Starter Kit
I'm trying to download the portal starter kit, but I keep getting an error message from download.microsoft.com. Does anyone have the installer that I can download? Thanks Did you ever get it to download??No Animals were harmed in the making of the Application Hammer12...

How to do this in Portal Starter Kit
Hi, I designed a website (let's call it WebSiteA) using the Portal Starter Kit, one of the tabs is only visible to users that are logged in. Within this tab, I had a quick link or a button, when the user click on it, another website (WebSiteB) will be launched. That is no problem. The problem is if the user did not log in WebSiteA, he/she should not be allowed to view WebSiteB if he/she tried to launch WebSiteB directly from the web browser. How to implement this? I want to use Cookies, but not sure if this is the right solution. Any help is appreciated! cookies could work or check th...

Portal starter Kit
I'm getting ready to use the Portal starter Kit to for a large school web site. Has anybody had any problems with the starter kits and if so what where they I think they are all great solutions! I personally love the DotNetNuke portal and feel it is the most superior solution out there for several reasons: 1) there is a team of 30 programmers constantly developing future versions 2) there is a great community forum here (dotnetnuke forum) for help/support/questions 3) there are over 500 add-on modules available for almost any need - some are free and some are for money 4) ope...

portal kit / ibuyspy kit question
Hi all. I've been using the portal starter kit, and recently been fretting about converting the xml portions to use an MSDE database instead. Have I read correctly in this forum that the Ibuyspy portal is the same except it already uses a database for everything? Also, how hard would it be to move everything from the portal to the ibuyspy? Let me know if you need more info to help me, thanks in advance! You are right, IBS already uses a database. As far as how hard it will be... well if you are just starteing I would just start over again. The data that you do have current...

Comparison's to IBuySpy portal and Community starter kit
Hey, I'm looking for a good portal/CMS type system I can use for multiple sites such as my wife's church, my family site/photo album and a photo album for some friends. I want one code base for all the sites. So far I've played around with community starter kit which is good, although some of it is kind of messy and there are a few bugs. Does anyone have any suggestions on which is the "best" portal app? I'm looking for the following: 1) Free, Open source 2) Clean, maintainable, code. (preferably OOP & mult-layered) 3) The most robust features (Calendar, CMS, ...

Clarifying the difference between the Starter Kit and the Source Project for IBuySpy Portal
The two downloads are not the same - the "starter kit" uses XML to store some of the configuration - the other uses SQL Sever for everything - most of the addins and code discussed in this forum are for the latter one - that which uses SQL Server for storing all data - there is a specific forum for the "starter kit" in which you may get more focussed answers DavidM Various IBS Addons available at http://www.snowcovered.comLead Developer [vb & c#] - MCAD...

Does anyone know how to migrate the Portal Starter Kit to VS 2005?
I would like to use the Portal Starter Kit VBVS as a launching point for a new project.  It works fine in Visual Studio 2003, but when I try to upgrade to Visual Studio 2005, I get 56 errors.  Has anyone successfully migrated this project to 2005?  What are the "tircks" to get it back up and running?...

Use this portal or the Starter Kit?
I'm starting this from scratch and am curious as to whether it's recommended to use the IBuySpy portal or the Starter Kit portal. What are the feature differences? I guess the same question could be applied to the commerce templates too. Can anyone give me some direction here? Thanks!!!! have you seen this post yet? http://www.ibuyspy.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=296984 if you want to use VB.NET I would go with DNN. I went with IBS Portal C# because of two reasons. 1) I like the fact that the tabs are in a database. 2) I wanted to learn ASP.NET, howeve...

Web resources about - IBuySpy Portal vs. Portal Starter Kit - asp.net.portal-starter-kit

» Archive for the 'Content Management' Category « Previous Entries When Too Much Knowledge Becomes a Dangerous Thing Thursday, June 17th, 2010 ...

Doc JavaScript - JavaScript Tutorials, JavaScript Tips, and JavaScript Tools - WebReference
... health. Featuring free source code and tools, you'll program cross-browser like a DOM pro. Learn how to install JScript .NET-based IBuySpy Store. ...

Mark Simpkins - PORTFOLIO
... Project BannerAd AVCS UNYSA-UK 12thNight.com Articles Original web application design 12thNight.com Adaptation of the Microsoft IbuySpy.com ...

Mark Simpkins - PORTFOLIO
HOME PORTFOLIO MY CV GALLERY LINKS DESIGN CONTACT First Directory Final Year Project BannerAd AVCS UNYSA-UK 12thNight.com Articles Original ...