IBS like the old BBS's?

Were any of you into BBS's? I ran a 2 node board off Renegade.. IBS feels like the same thing only a tad more flexable:)
Modules for sale @ SnowCovered / Bitporters.net

BPM UserManager IBS

BPM ErrorManager IBS & DNN

BPM Personal Stock Tic
0
BPM_IBS
5/22/2003 1:26:17 PM
asp.net.portal-starter-kit 2189 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I played around with them briefly in the early 90's - only as a BBS user though, so I can't comment on their similarities to IBS.  Ahh, the old 2400 baud modem days...how I don't miss them.
0
Bryan_Metzger
5/22/2003 3:49:57 PM
Well im talking more about the sysop side of things, like renegade came with a default framework with things like a file area, a forum etc etc and you could tinker around with it and build a little community.

Modules for sale @ SnowCovered / Bitporters.net

BPM UserManager IBS

BPM ErrorManager IBS & DNN

BPM Personal Stock Tic
0
BPM_IBS
5/22/2003 4:23:17 PM

I ran a Renegade BBS for about 5 years... towards the end I even got USENET :) but at this time the web was starting and it didn't take long before I stopped running the site (around '95 when I stopped)...
ehheheheh... I am now running DotNetNuke and have thought the same thing... I even made a "One Liners" module, reminisant of my BBS days...
We need an ANSI module :)
-Shane
0
otherones
5/23/2003 3:22:42 PM
:) YES! i knew there were others.

I was never into that usenet, was that the forums that were on all bbs? and at certian times during the night a central server would replicate the messages elsewhere?
that would be a neat webservice, like a global IBS forum
Modules for sale @ SnowCovered / Bitporters.net

BPM UserManager IBS

BPM ErrorManager IBS & DNN

BPM Personal Stock Tic
0
BPM_IBS
5/23/2003 3:36:01 PM

Well, Yeah, that was the basic idea of the message networks, but there were a bunch of message networks other than UseNet... Fido Net was anohter popular one, in fact I ran one called Image Net....if I remember correctly Blue Mail was the program use to run the message servers / clients
but UseNet was the NNTP news groups from that new thing called the internet...that still exist
ie: http://groups.google.com/
.... in fact if you look at the new version of asp.net forums that Rob Howard is working on ( http://forums.asp.net ) you can see that he has created this functionality into the new version (NNTP Newsgroups)

Now the module that I would like to see for IBS/DNN would be some of the Doors:
Barren Realms Elite, Tradewars 2000, LORD (legend of the red dragon), ... i think there was another called "The Pit" or somehting like that...
Barren Realms Elite was my favorite.. especailly in InterBBS League play.. There are still some BBS's running on Telnet out there that have BRE game online .. i just don't have the time to get back into it... :)

-Shane
0
otherones
5/23/2003 3:49:27 PM
Ooh man i remember the pit;) that was my favourite, BRE was wicked too..

'doors' why were they called that again? haha this is hilarious i remember all of this
Modules for sale @ SnowCovered / Bitporters.net

BPM UserManager IBS

BPM ErrorManager IBS & DNN

BPM Personal Stock Tic
0
BPM_IBS
5/23/2003 5:31:55 PM

Because by selecting that menu option you opened a "Door" from the BBS to the other application.. wether it be a game or a mail reader of some sort. hehe :)
-Shane
0
otherones
5/23/2003 6:22:49 PM
do you think there would be a market for IBS games?:)
Modules for sale @ SnowCovered / Bitporters.net

BPM UserManager IBS

BPM ErrorManager IBS & DNN

BPM Personal Stock Tic
0
BPM_IBS
5/23/2003 7:02:31 PM

You say you ran 2 nodes... as did I.. I did my multi-tasking with: Desqview operating system.. heheh... OS/2 Warp wasn't stable enough for me, and windows 3.1 sucked!
so desqview it was: non graphical multitasking OS. :)
-Shane
0
otherones
5/23/2003 7:04:21 PM
Wow things sure have changed since then, did you ever try MajorBBS?
Modules for sale @ SnowCovered / Bitporters.net

BPM UserManager IBS

BPM ErrorManager IBS & DNN

BPM Personal Stock Tic
0
BPM_IBS
5/23/2003 7:29:33 PM
Nope, renegade and for a while at the begining I was running Wild Cat...

after this conversation we've had today I went on google and did a search for my old BBS... found a handful of results dating back to january 1994 which was about the time I started connect the BBS to the internet... jeez 9 1/2 years goes by fast.
Shadows in the Rain BBS AD 1994-01-08 03:16:39 PST

ehheheh I especially like this part of my advertisment:
Adult,
Anarachy,
and basic Shareware Galore!!!!

HA!
-Shane
0
otherones
5/23/2003 8:55:30 PM
i used to have a shareware bbs running on my dads ibm ps2 w/ a 75 meg hard drive.

i swear i knew every single file that existed on that machine. unlike my 80gigs of space i have now:D
Bitporters.net - Hows your portal running?
0
Bitporters
5/23/2003 11:55:39 PM
Was waiting for this thread to take off LOL ..

I ran 'The Red Baron's Hideaway' for about 3 years, started off as SpitFire single line, and ended up Maximus w/ custom REXX programming and 3 lines.. Then died due to the internet.
I remember working on the code back there trying to get more and more programs to work as 'door' games, I had multiple CD-Roms, BRE Leagues, even on the TradeWars Leagues once..
As soon as ASP.Net was out, and I really started looking into it, I realized something.. This is EXACTLY what we had been waiting for back then running those BBS'! The ability to tie virtually ANYTHING over the wires with the right programming..
As far as would door games be popular in IBS? .. Well, I'll tell you one this I would LOVE to see in IBS, would be a 'doorway' .. So we can link to all those old fashioned doorgames (more than you think are still out there via Telnet now! .. Take a look ;-) )
-Arkadic (a lots changed since the days of RBH haha)
http://www.acksolutions.net
0
vitamedics
5/24/2003 5:41:40 PM
Well it can take OFF!!! If you have more people interested in it.

I just happen to ran accross it.
I was once a SysOp, running Renegade BBS software. Lion's DENN BBS was the name. Back in the early 95', had it up and running for about a year, and was ready to expand the node to more than 1. But when my system crashed and I did have no funds to bring it back, I had to put it on hold.
Now I am trying to bring it back online. TELNET Style. I am looking for the same thing to be able to send user to the telnet://bbs.site. But it is not doing so with the regular link module.
0
websiteguru
3/2/2004 2:07:32 PM
If you're not only looking for Renegade you could take a look here: http://www.bbbs.net and you'll find some BBS software that supports telnet.

BTW, I think I logged into my first BBS back in '83....
0
klunde