I Buy Spy Portal vs Portal Starter Kit

There seems to be lots of confusion between the IBS Portal and the Portal Starter Kit. Lots of people publish quastions relating to the IBS here, and lots of people answer to questions about the Portal Starter Kit as if it was the IBS. It might be a good idea if a few people that are well familiar with both versions post some info as to the differences. This will help many not only with their confusion but also chose which one to use, based on these differences.

lilon
11/1/2004 2:33:05 AM
asp.net.portal-starter-kit 2189 articles. 0 followers. Follow

When I started this thread I was sure it will be flooded with opinions and comparisons between IBS Portal and Portal Starter Kit. I am not sure what happen. Doesnt anyone know anything about the difference or similarities? I am quite familiar with the Starter Kit but know nothing about the IBS Portal. Does the IBS use security roles? Is there an administration tab that allow adding tabs, adding roles, assigning tabs to roles, adding modules, assigning edit rights to modules based on roles, what doesnt the IBS offer that the Starter kit does and vice versa, why did microsoft build two similar applications? do the intend to fill different requirements, needs? etc?

Please enlighten us....
0
lilon
11/8/2004 3:10:32 AM
I thougt it was the same portal, just different version.

In the newest version they don't include ibuyspy in the title.
Endre
PS: I've not used any of them yet.
0
esolem
11/10/2004 8:49:04 AM
OK. After reading a couple of more post I realise that I'm wrong.

What is the difference?
Endre
0
esolem
11/10/2004 8:52:29 AM
http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=290782

http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=144851
0
webber123456
11/10/2004 6:43:49 PM
Webber to the rescue as usual... Thanks for that. Has anything came about from the grand plans of building one framework?
0
lilon
11/11/2004 12:11:13 AM
hmmm... not sure what you mean by one framework.

I doubt if there is one anything, as there is little use for a product that tries to be a "one size fits all"
it's either too complex or too expensive.
Most folks try to take something ike this portal and tailor it to their needs.
0
webber123456
11/11/2004 5:22:48 AM

also please note this link