Error installing portal starter kit

Hi

I get an error right at the end of the install of ASP.Net portal.

'The system cannot find the path specified'

We are installing the portal on Windows 2003 web edition which will connect to a dedicated remote Windows 2003 server with SQL 2000 on it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jon

0
rambo
7/6/2005 10:37:47 PM
asp.net.portal-starter-kit 2189 articles. 0 followers. Follow

When I deleted PortalCfg.xsd,the Portal Starter Kit can still work normally.Then What is the use of PortalCfg.xsd in Portal Starter Kit?
Thanks! The purpose of PortalCfg.xsd is to make the layout and validate the PortalCfg.xml! The struct of PortalCfg.xml is based on PortalCfg.xsdregards João Martins...

use portal starter kit with community starter kit
I am using the portalvbsdk and community starterkit but both have different user login database, is it possible to connect both starter kits with only one user login panel? Sorry, I am very new with ASP.NET I don't think so. The permissions in portal are different than permissions in community. If a person only logs in one and not the other, the permission settings will always be wrong for the one which has no login. ...

Error when installing portal starter kit
Hi I get an error right at the end of the install of ASP.Net portal.'The system cannot find the path specified'Any ideasThanks In which process? are you getting a good SQL connection and are you installing remote or local? I am not sure what you mean by which process.  We are installing the portal on Windows 2003 web edition which will connect to a dedicated remote Windows 2003 server with SQL 2000 on it.regardsJon...

Portal Starter Kit Installation?
Hi, I just downloaded the Portal Site Starter kit and used the installer to place all the files into the default location on my hard drive. I have IIS installed on my computer and when I click on the link in the readme file, which is http://localhost/PortalVBSDK it takes me to a page saying server unavailable, I tried copying and pasting into my homepage which is on a host server and the same thing appears. Im guessing it has something to do with web.config but I can't figure out what or how to change it. So here is my question in better detail; I want to place the portal site on my se...

Portal starter kit installation
I work on installing Portal Starter kit together with SQL(MSDE), I have installed SQL MSDE as described, but when Portal installation comes to the point where you have to select a DataBase instance, there is only "localhost" to choose, which do not exist. I'm shure that I missed something, but what ??. Regards Niels J. Nielsen Some people have solved this problem by reinstalling MSDE. Follow the instruction on the System Requirements link for MSDE during installation. Vertigo Software www.vertigosoftware.com That didn't work for me and I'm still receiving the same e...

IBuySpy Portal vs. Portal Starter Kit
I am new to portals and relatively new to ASP.NET and I would appreciate some clarification about IBS and the Portal Starter Kit. I have read existing postings and come away with the impression that the Portal Starter Kit is a more updated version of IBS, which is not being further developed. But then I notice a lot of developer activity on the forums for both IBS and Portal Starter Kit and Microsoft features both prominently and independently on the ASP.NET site. I have been leaning toward IBS because I have the Wrox book Building an ASP.NET Intranet to guide my initial work in add...

Installation problem: Install Portal Starter Kit on top of MSDE
I installed MSDE. For whatever reason, the server name is my login name, say "nature", rather than the default "localhost". When I start to install the starter kit, it tries to look for "localhost". Definitely it always fails and I can't install it. Any suggestion? Thanks in advance... LeoLeo try this connection string format as a key in the web.config file: <add key="ConnectionString" value="Server='nature'; database='myDB'; User ID='myUID'; Password='myPwd' " /> ...

Differences between the Club Starter Kit, Club Starter Kit 2.0, and Extended Club Starter Kit
I'm a little confused as the the differences between these 3 starter kits, can someone point the differences out to me?Victor Corey I picked the first one, because I thought that it would be the easiest and least complicated to understand and work with.  I have the same question.  You posted this some time ago, I guess nobody knows.  I am only posting this so it will show up again, and maybe someone will address it.  Thanks. I don't know about the extended, but I worked with the Club Site Starter Kit for several days and got stuck when needing to actually get ...

Database error Installing Portal Starter Kit
I'm trying to install the CSVS Portal Starter Kit. I manage to reach the database connection test, and the test is successful, but when I press the install button I get the following error:Windows NT user or group 'MyServer\ASPNET' not found. Check the name again. Changed database context to 'master'.   Then the installer executes a rollback.I'm using a Win 2000 server, IIS5.0, .NET framework 1.1  The server is also a domain controller.For some reason when I install the .NET framework 1.1 it does not add the user called "MyServer\ASPNET". Any help would be appreciate...

I Buy Spy Portal vs Portal Starter Kit
There seems to be lots of confusion between the IBS Portal and the Portal Starter Kit. Lots of people publish quastions relating to the IBS here, and lots of people answer to questions about the Portal Starter Kit as if it was the IBS. It might be a good idea if a few people that are well familiar with both versions post some info as to the differences. This will help many not only with their confusion but also chose which one to use, based on these differences. Thanks When I started this thread I was sure it will be flooded with opinions and comparisons between IBS Portal and Portal St...

IBuySpy Portal and Portal Starter Kit Security Issue
Yesterday we became aware of a security vulnerability in two of our sample applications: the IBuySpy Portal and the Portal Starter Kit. We have temporarily removed the IBuySpy Portal sample download and are actively working on an update. An updated Portal Starer Kit sample (version 1.0b) is now available which fixes the problem for that sample. This email provides the steps to immediately fix existing sites and mitigate the potential for a malicious attack. Who is vulnerable? -- Any version of the VB.NET IBuySpy Portal sample configured to use html forms authentication. -- A...

Portal Starter Kit problem with Installation
I cannot complete the installation of the Portal Starter Kit.  I perform the download and it proceeds alright until it asks me where I want put the local database instance and it gives a dropdown box.  The only value in the dropdown is 'localhost' and the install button is greyed.  when I run 'Test Connection', I get 'Connection Failed' message.  When I press 'Cancel', the install program rolls itself back.How do I get this to work? Hi m8 I take it you have got SQL running locally have you...? Also I want to know the fundamental cause and  how to slove. But I th...

portal starter kit validaterequest error
The portal app opens fine when it is pathed here: http://localhost/PortalCSSDK/DesktopDefault.aspx But when I load the DesktopDefault.aspx into Web Matrix and try to start it, it paths to http://localhost/DesktopDefault.aspx bypassing the virtual directory, thus throwing the error. What can I do to get it to the right path? When I try to open the DesktopDefault.aspx from within Web Matrix, I get this error: Server Error in '/' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Configuration Error Description: An error occurre...

problem in instaling the portal starter kit
hi,i am trying to install asp.net portal starter kit but i am getting errorthat the program can not open the default database server.   Can anyone tell me how to solve this problem?TIA This error is telling you you do not have the correct connection string in the web.config or either you have the correct connection string but the user you set up in it does not have permission to the database defined in the string. Post your string with out the password and someone will be able ot spot the error for you.   hth BruceDynamicVB.Net...

Web resources about - Error installing portal starter kit - asp.net.portal-starter-kit

Solar panels are lifted into place.

Iran installing new nuclear equipment

Gillard defends installing Slipper