Difference Between DotNetNuke & IBS & Portal Starter Kit

What is the difference between a "Source Project" and "Starter Kit"?

Specifically, the DotNetNuke & IBS & Portal Starter Kit?
They all seem identical with obvious visual changes, but seem to do/provide same functionality.
Thanks.
0
robinmthomas
10/17/2003 1:26:17 AM
asp.net.portal-starter-kit 2189 articles. 0 followers. Follow

When I deleted PortalCfg.xsd,the Portal Starter Kit can still work normally.Then What is the use of PortalCfg.xsd in Portal Starter Kit?
Thanks! The purpose of PortalCfg.xsd is to make the layout and validate the PortalCfg.xml! The struct of PortalCfg.xml is based on PortalCfg.xsdregards João Martins...

use portal starter kit with community starter kit
I am using the portalvbsdk and community starterkit but both have different user login database, is it possible to connect both starter kits with only one user login panel? Sorry, I am very new with ASP.NET I don't think so. The permissions in portal are different than permissions in community. If a person only logs in one and not the other, the permission settings will always be wrong for the one which has no login. ...

Differences between the Club Starter Kit, Club Starter Kit 2.0, and Extended Club Starter Kit
I'm a little confused as the the differences between these 3 starter kits, can someone point the differences out to me?Victor Corey I picked the first one, because I thought that it would be the easiest and least complicated to understand and work with.  I have the same question.  You posted this some time ago, I guess nobody knows.  I am only posting this so it will show up again, and maybe someone will address it.  Thanks. I don't know about the extended, but I worked with the Club Site Starter Kit for several days and got stuck when needing to actually get ...

Application Security & Portal Starter Kit
The GetSingleContact function in the Components\Contact.vb folder of Portal Starter Kit, returns a DataReader with data from the GetSingleContact stored procedure. I have read that it is good security practice to place any opening/execution of connections in a TRY block, and closing of connections in a FINALLY block. However due to a DataReader named "result" being returned, the connection must remain open as long as the DataReader is open? ("Dim result As SqlDataReader = myCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior.CloseConnection)") Surely this poses a security conce...

First item activate & wml (Portal Starter Kit)
hi, When activating the first portal menu item with OpenWave 7 simulator i get sub items repeated twice. I was wondering why i've got this specific behaviour for the only first item. It's probably related to wml/simulator but i did not manage to find out why... Thanks for your help, Pascal After a while i find out a solution... In the Portal Starter Kit Delphi translation, with WAP / WMLadapter access, the "On_TabActivate" event is fired twice for the first menu item. Without "OnTabActivate="TabView_OnTabActivate" (1) it is fired once... Why t...

IBuySpy Portal vs. Portal Starter Kit
I am new to portals and relatively new to ASP.NET and I would appreciate some clarification about IBS and the Portal Starter Kit. I have read existing postings and come away with the impression that the Portal Starter Kit is a more updated version of IBS, which is not being further developed. But then I notice a lot of developer activity on the forums for both IBS and Portal Starter Kit and Microsoft features both prominently and independently on the ASP.NET site. I have been leaning toward IBS because I have the Wrox book Building an ASP.NET Intranet to guide my initial work in add...

I Buy Spy Portal vs Portal Starter Kit
There seems to be lots of confusion between the IBS Portal and the Portal Starter Kit. Lots of people publish quastions relating to the IBS here, and lots of people answer to questions about the Portal Starter Kit as if it was the IBS. It might be a good idea if a few people that are well familiar with both versions post some info as to the differences. This will help many not only with their confusion but also chose which one to use, based on these differences. Thanks When I started this thread I was sure it will be flooded with opinions and comparisons between IBS Portal and Portal St...

IBuySpy Portal and Portal Starter Kit Security Issue
Yesterday we became aware of a security vulnerability in two of our sample applications: the IBuySpy Portal and the Portal Starter Kit. We have temporarily removed the IBuySpy Portal sample download and are actively working on an update. An updated Portal Starer Kit sample (version 1.0b) is now available which fixes the problem for that sample. This email provides the steps to immediately fix existing sites and mitigate the potential for a malicious attack. Who is vulnerable? -- Any version of the VB.NET IBuySpy Portal sample configured to use html forms authentication. -- A...

IBuySpy Portal and Portal Starter Kit Security Issue #2
Yesterday we became aware of a security vulnerability in two of our sample applications: the IBuySpy Portal and the Portal Starter Kit. We have temporarily removed the IBuySpy Portal sample download and are actively working on an update. An updated Portal Starer Kit sample (version 1.0b) is now available which fixes the problem for that sample. This email provides the steps to immediately fix existing sites and mitigate the potential for a malicious attack. Who is vulnerable? -- Any version of the VB.NET IBuySpy Portal sample configured to use html forms authentication. -- A...

Installing a DotNetNuke Module in the Portal Starter Kit
Hi, I'm new to ASP.Net, so apologies if this is a basic question. I have created my own portal using the Portal Stater Kit and added modules to it. We are looking at a product Sigma-Pro by http://www.onyaktech.com/ which seems to be written for DotNetNuke, as it has a .dnn file, and i have successfully added it to my sample DotNetNuke. We would like to add it to our portal based on the Starter Kit, but are not sure how this can be done. I think the .dnn file is basically am MSI which creates the database and installs the relevant modules, so do i just have to do this all manuall...

Portal starter Kit
I'm getting ready to use the Portal starter Kit to for a large school web site. Has anybody had any problems with the starter kits and if so what where they I think they are all great solutions! I personally love the DotNetNuke portal and feel it is the most superior solution out there for several reasons: 1) there is a team of 30 programmers constantly developing future versions 2) there is a great community forum here (dotnetnuke forum) for help/support/questions 3) there are over 500 add-on modules available for almost any need - some are free and some are for money 4) ope...

Portal Starter Kit
I'm trying to download the portal starter kit, but I keep getting an error message from download.microsoft.com. Does anyone have the installer that I can download? Thanks Did you ever get it to download??No Animals were harmed in the making of the Application Hammer12...

How to do this in Portal Starter Kit
Hi, I designed a website (let's call it WebSiteA) using the Portal Starter Kit, one of the tabs is only visible to users that are logged in. Within this tab, I had a quick link or a button, when the user click on it, another website (WebSiteB) will be launched. That is no problem. The problem is if the user did not log in WebSiteA, he/she should not be allowed to view WebSiteB if he/she tried to launch WebSiteB directly from the web browser. How to implement this? I want to use Cookies, but not sure if this is the right solution. Any help is appreciated! cookies could work or check th...

Club Starter Kit Default Administrator User Name & Password, & How To Change
I downloaded the asp.net Club Starter Kit and installed fine.  However I couldn’t find the default login and password to get into the admin of the system. I would like to know how to change this also if possible.  Also, with a system like this where the database is built in, I’m not sure how to view the database outside of the website. Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks.   I am assuming that since you posted in the classifieds kit section, that meant classifieds kit? Regardless this should work for setting yourself as Admin. There's several...

Clarifying the difference between the Starter Kit and the Source Project for IBuySpy Portal
The two downloads are not the same - the "starter kit" uses XML to store some of the configuration - the other uses SQL Sever for everything - most of the addins and code discussed in this forum are for the latter one - that which uses SQL Server for storing all data - there is a specific forum for the "starter kit" in which you may get more focussed answers DavidM Various IBS Addons available at http://www.snowcovered.comLead Developer [vb & c#] - MCAD...

Using VS.NET to create NEW module for Portal Starter Kit
I'm trying to build my 1st NEW module for the portal starter kit, but I'm not sure what VS.NET is doing...it seems to be creating the wrong 'inherits from' This is the beginning of my new module codebehind file Public Class Charts Inherits System.Web.UI.Page ................................................................................. This is the beginning of an existing module codebehind (that works) Namespace ASPNET.StarterKit.Portal Public MustInherit Class Announcements Inherits ASPNET.StarterKit.Portal.PortalModuleControl .....................

TimeTracker Starter Kit as a subweb under the Personal Starter Kit
I am wanting to make the TimeTracker started kit as a subweb under the Personal Started Kit.  Is there any special way to do this or anything I should be worried about?  I am new to this and trying to develop a web application based off of these kits. ThanksChuck...

Portal Starter Kit / .NET 2.0 Version / Web Client Software Factory Version
I have started to refactor the initial starter kit. The database schema is still the same for compatibility reasons. http://www.codeplex.com/ASPNETPortal Features Dynamic Portal Infrastructure 10 basic portal modules for common types of content 2 extra portal modules: RSS Feed and Wiki A "pluggable" framework that is simple to extend with custom portal modules Online administration of portal layout, content and security XML based definition of portal layout Database based definition of portal layout Roles-based security for viewing content, editing content, ...

IBuySpy Store Commerce Starter Kit DotNetNuke module with Account Maintenance & Admin UI
Hello All: I have put about 80 hours into the conversion and enhancement of Izaak Kelly's BuySpy StarterKit Conversion for DotNetNuke 1.0, including conversion of it's data access to use the DotNetNuke 2.x Data Access Layer, Account Management User Interface & Administrative User Interface. Then I integrated some of the ideas from the OZMCart IBuySpy Store/Commerce Starter Kit Mod. It provided a great jumping off point for my DotNetNuke IBuySpy Store Module. Before this, I was no newbie to ecommerce sites, having coded several from the ground-up in ASP & SQL Server, and implementi...

Running the Portal Starter Kit
I am new to ASP.NET and require help in setting up the Portal Starter Kit to run properly. I have installed the portal successfully (including creation of SQL database tables and granting access). I am able to browse the portal using a local version of IIS with the latest .NET framework (v1.1) installed. Using the default login (guest) I am able to access the basic administration features such as creation of new tabs and user management. However, I am unable to actually edit the contents of any of the modules (Announcements, Contacts, Image, etc). The following error reoccurs: ...

How to post a portal starter kit here?
Hi Moderator, What are the requirements to post a starter kit? I built an open source CMS with restriction. Anybody can reverse engineer the entire app if they want to. Can someone take a look at this portal and evaluate if it qualify with your standard? Maybe there are someone here who wants to expand this portal. Please let me know if you this portal qualify. XD Portal V 1.0 is an ASP.NET 2.0 N-Tier open source web application written in C# and SQL stored procedure. XD Portal provides content management capabilities and administration tools to create a dynamic interactive database dr...

Submenu to Portal Starter Kit
Has anyone successfully added a Subtab or Submenu to the Portal Starter Kit? I would like to add many tabs and have them grouped. Does anyone have a sample of how they worked around this. Thanks. Check out http://simplifiedportal.com/Portal/DesktopDefault.aspx This is the XML version of the Portal - they've implemented submenus pretty nicely this is well described in a thread here on the forum.... fairly complicated though, dont say i didnt warn you ;) I've even got Left Side, and top nav tabs working :)...

building portal starter kit
hi, when I test building the portal veiled the error which I obtain : Détails de l'exception: System.ArgumentNullException: La valeur ne peut pas être null. Nom du paramètre : String Erreur source: Ligne 43 : // Obtain moduleId and ItemId from QueryString Ligne 44 : Ligne 45 : moduleId = Int32.Parse(Request.Params["Mid"]); Ligne 46 : Ligne 47 : if (Request.Params["ItemId"] != null) { Fichier source : d:\program files\asp.net starter kits\asp.net portal (csvs)\portalcsvs\des...

Web resources about - Difference Between DotNetNuke & IBS & Portal Starter Kit - asp.net.portal-starter-kit

Street arts or graffiti: the difference is permisson say street artists
Brisbane's first street art festival is now under way a week after the city's local government took a prominent street artist to court for graffiti. ...

Sky rail: can we tell the difference between petitions and parody any more?
Residential campaigns in Melbourne are frequently beyond parody, so how can we tell when a petition is serious or satire? It's not easy these ...

Canada-U.S. alliance 'unbreakable,' despite airstrike differences: Carter - CTV News
The military ties between the United States and Canada remain unbreakable, despite Canada's change to its anti-ISIS contributions, the U.S. secretary ...

"What is the difference between hair and fur?"
Answer: "Hair and fur are the same thing." SA: Why is it then that, for example, my dog's fur is three inches long and it never seems to grow ...

How Pop Music Explains the Difference Between New Hampshire and Iowa
An analysis of Spotify data shines a light on American political geography.

Amazon and Netflix have one major difference when it comes to finding their next hit series
Amazon and Netflix are both finding success at producing their original content, but the way they go about it is totally different. For one, ...

Myfox Home Security System Knows the Difference Between the UPS Guy and a Real Break-In
The Myfox Home Security System can tell the difference between a delivery guy tossing a box against a door and a real break-in. It has no keypad ...