Personal Web Site for Visual Web Developer 2005

I just installed the personal web site on my computer today.  It runs fine on my machine; however when I go to the "Copy web site" button and publish it to my hosted server (Ipowerweb.com) I get a Runtime Error as seen below.  I'm not sure if I need to edit the connection string to the database tables or not.  My hosting company uses MySql and not MS Sql Server.  Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Server Error in '/bushmous' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
        <customErrors mode="Off"/>
    </system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
        <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
    </system.web>
</configuration>

0
bushmouse
11/27/2006 6:17:26 AM
asp.net.personal-site-kit 1290 articles. 0 followers. Follow

first of all, do what the error message tells you to do, alter the settings of the web.config, upload it again and reopen the application by requesting it through the browser.

MySql instead of MSSQL. Hmm, you most likely will have to plug in several providers specific for MySQL and have the tables ported also. The connectionstring will be needing an update. If you're unsure on how it looks like you can take a look at this dedicated site: http://www.connectionstrings.com/.

Grz, Kris.

XIII
11/27/2006 9:16:22 AM

I forgot to post this.  This is my config.web file that is uploaded on my host server:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<configuration>
 <connectionStrings>
  <add name="Personal" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|Personal.mdf" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
  <remove name="LocalSqlServer"/>
  <add name="LocalSqlServer
" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|aspnetdb.mdf" />
 </connectionStrings>
 <system.web>
  <pages styleSheetTheme="White"/>
    <customErrors mode="Off"/>
    <trace enabled="true" pageOutput="true" traceMode="SortByCategory" localOnly="false" />
    <compilation debug="true"/>
  <authentication mode="Forms">
   <forms loginUrl="Default.aspx" protection="Validation" timeout="300" />
  </authentication>
  <authorization>
   <allow users="*"/>
  </authorization>
  <globalization requestEncoding="utf-8" responseEncoding="utf-8"/>
  <roleManager enabled="true"/>
  <siteMap defaultProvider="XmlSiteMapProvider" enabled="true">
   <providers>
    <add name="XmlSiteMapProvider"
            description="SiteMap provider which reads in .sitemap XML files."
            type="System.Web.XmlSiteMapProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.3600.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
            siteMapFile="web.sitemap"
            securityTrimmingEnabled="true"/>
   </providers>
  </siteMap>
 </system.web>
 <location path="Admin">
  <system.web>
   <authorization>
    <allow roles="Administrators"/>
    <deny users="*"/>
   </authorization>
  </system.web>
 </location>
</configuration>

 I turned custom errors to "Off" as mentioned in the error, but didn't get any error details.  Thanks again for your help with this.

0
bushmouse

if you upload a webform that shows the date and time of the server, does that display correctly? I mean by this: does your hosting company actually supports ASP.NET 2.0?

Grz, Kris.

XIII

Publishing "Personal Web Site Starter Kit", Visual Web Developer 2005 on IIS 5.1 in Windows XP 2002 sp2
Dear IIS GurusI am trying to publish the "Personal Web Site Starter Kit" provided as an example with "Visual Web Developer 2005"  as a Virtual Directory on IIS 5.1. I host IIS 5.1 on my development mashine running Windows XP professional 2002 with service pack 2.On browsing the virtual directory I get the following error message: "Server Application Unavailable The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable.  Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request. Administrator Note: An error message detailing th...

Help -- Unable to process Personal Web Site Starter Kit code -- VS Web Developer 2005
I originally sent this as "Error in Website1 Application" ... resending to hopefully get some help, or a suggestion of whom to turn to next (in MS or outside) ORIGINAL: I am running VS 2005, XP Pro, without SQL Server.  I opened the 'Create A Personal Web Site' ... everything appears okay, with a clean compile reported ... Ctrl F5 or F5 both result in a Server Error.  When I do a simple page without a database call, all is well ... I haven't reconfigured anything ... any suggestions on how I can determine what is wrong?  This is the first line of the error: ...

Personal Web Site Starter Kit (Visual Studio 2005) default document question
Hi, I'm using VS 2005's Personal Web Site Starter Kit to start a new web site. Once I clicked ok to create the web site by the starter kit and got SQL Server 2005 installed, I pressed Ctl + F5. I was abled to see the web site right away. The default document is Default.aspx. I would like to add a new home page to the website, so I was trying to change the default document to be another .aspx file. However, as there is no IIS virtual path set to it, I am not sure how to change the default document. Could anyone give me some help? Thanks. Hi, Based on your description, I think ...

Web site with Visual Web Developer 2005 Express
I am very new to .NET so please bare with me.  I am in a web development college course and we are doing are web application in ASP.NET using C#.  One of my group members came across Visual Web Developer 2005 Express and showed us how easy it makes making a web page with login features. I was looking at the FAQ for VWD 2005 Express here: http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/faq/default.aspx#vwd and it has this question: Can I build and deploy applications using the Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 1? No. During the Beta 1 timeframe we want customers...

how to run see web site made on Visual Web Developer 2005
Please help me i made a web site on Visual Web Developer 2005 and its working ok if i run it on VWD 2005 IDE because it make its how server and run it from there but if i want to run this website to other computer where VWD 2005 is not installed how could i view it... because its not running if i put it in wwwroot folder and run it from there.. like we use to do in simple ASP.... The machine will need the .net framework installing and yor need to configure iis using the aspnet_regiis.exe -i and the default web site properites tabs under the IIS MMC. You should be able to copy the files ove...

web admin tool error in personal web site starter kit
i get the error below when trying to create an administrative user in the personal web site starter kit: There is a problem with the application you are attempting to administer. Please check the spelling of the URL you used to access the web admin tool and confirm that your application is properly configured in IIS. it was my understanding that the vwd2005 express did not require IIS. is that not correct? have i done something else wrong??? if i play around with the browser long enough, i also get the following error: An error was encountered. Please return to the previous pa...

Deploying a web site from Visual Web developer 2005 Express edition
Does anyone know how to deploy a web site from Visual Web Developer 2005 Express edition?...

How to implement mobile web site by using visual web developer 2005 express?
May i using visual web developer 2005 express edition to implement my mobile web site? is there any emulators provided?  You can implement a mobile site by using the mobile content controls, these generate device specific html / wap etc. however you'll need to download a separate emulator for your device. I have successfully used Openwave in the past.  Yes you can.  The necessary bits are in the framework itself.  I have a project template posted on my blog that will get you started.  You can also just start a new web site and add the necessary bits to ...

Web Site Administration Tool in Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Additon
I am having trouble creating a user when using the Web Site Administration Tool.  I have used the security tab to set up the rolse for managers and members.  However, when I try to create a user it fails with a "Please enter a different password" error. I tried different user ids and different passwords with no luck. Would appreciate any help. Thanks, JJ I found the answer in another posting. your password should also contain atleaset one NON alpha numeric like - '!', '@' , '%' character. VishalThanks Vishal, that works.  I used "_"JJ Here's a way to change that if you...

Visual Web Developer does not support opening Web sites on a SharePoint Web server
Hello,  I am trying to open up a website project that is a Microsoft Office Sharepoint Services project in Visual Studio 2005 and am getting this error: Visual Web Developer does not support creating Web sites on a SharePoint Web server    Can anyone help?    Thanks* Please mark as answer if indeed it is. Thanks! Hi ikelly, Seems this is a known issue. Please access the following link and view Dan’s solution. "visual web developer does not support creating web sites on a Sharepoint Web Server"http://forums.asp.net/p/942449/1129846.aspx#1129846 &...

Personal Web Site Starter Kit with SQL 2005 already installed
When I installed Visual Studio 2005 I elected not to install SQL Express because I already had SQL 2005 installed. I just tried running the Personal Web Site Starter kit not knowing it's dependent on SQL Express and got errors generated from web.config. I'm inclined now to delete the "personal web" and start over but my question is...is there a way to configure this starter kit so that it sets up and points to the personal.mdf and aspnetdb.mdf db's in SQL 2005 ? I did see part of this issue addresed in another post but not with a clear answer.   Thanks...

Can not open Security Page of Web site Administration tool in visual web developer 2005 express
Hi, I cannot open the security page of   Web site Administration tool in visual web developer 2005 express.When i click on security tab it gives  the following error.Also i am getting the same error message when I click on Add New Item ->Sql Database-> and click ADD. "There is a problem with your selected data store. This can be caused by an invalid server name or credentials, or by insufficient permission. It can also be caused by the role manager feature not being enabled. Click the button below to be redirected to a page where you can choose a new data store. The fo...

The web site credated by beta 2 can not be run at Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition,why?
The web site credated by beta 2 can not be run at Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition,why? I have created a web with Visual Web Developer 2005 beta 2, and add three user using the tool ASP.NET Web Site Administration Tool. now I install the final Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition,but I find my web site can not be run in the final edition, when I try to login into system using Login control, I get the error 1 below: //--------------------------------------error 1--------------------------------------------------------Server Error in '/onlinebookmark' Application. Pr...

The web site suggestions when you start to type in a web site are no where near what the web site is that I want to go to.
Name: Zachary Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: The web site suggestions when you start to type in a web site are no where near what the web site is that I want to go to. Comments: The web site suggestions are not even close to the web site I want to go to. In Firefox 2 the web site suggestions were perfect, where when you started to type in a web site the web site that you wanted came up in the suggestions if you've been to that web site before. But now in Firefox 3 it also goes by the web sites heading which I don't like. For example, if I wanted to go to fa...

Web resources about - Personal Web Site for Visual Web Developer 2005 - asp.net.personal-site-kit

Dungeons and developers
Have you ever wanted to learn web development or just refine your webdev skills? Dungeons and Developers gives your quest for knowledge a role ...

Video game developer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A video game developer is a software developer (a business or an individual) that creates video games . A developer may specialize in a certain ...

Tribunal rules that developer Michael Koundouris should fix Manhatten apartment building
Michael Koundouris says he will appeal a decision regarding a leaky apartment building. Canberra developer Michael Koundouris has lost his case ...

Developers propose demolishing Braddon commercial block for apartments
If approved, residents in the 170-apartment Braddon complex would have the future light rail on their doorstep.

Tribunal rules that developer Michael Koundouris should fix Manhattan apartment building
Michael Koundouris says he will appeal a decision regarding a leaky apartment building. Canberra developer Michael Koundouris has lost his case ...

Epic Games Launches Unreal Match 3 to Help Developers Make Games
... 4 (UE4). While the game is available for users to play as a traditional game, it was built to be a learning resource to help aspiring developers ...

Oculus shipping final Rift hardware to developers starting this week
... release last night, Facebook-owned Oculus announced that it will begin shipping final, complete versions of its Oculus Rift VR headset to developers ...

Major app developers are bringing their apps to the Windows phone
Microsoft's plan to get apps onto phones that runs Windows seems to be working as more and more developers are bringing their apps to the platform. ...

Indian Solar Power Developer Azure Power Files For NYSE Listing
One of India’s leading solar power project developers, Azure Power, is looking at equity markets to raise funds to expand generation capacity. ...

IDG Contributor Network: Bubble, Bubble, ending the developer struggle?
For years now, I've been getting pitches from companies that promised to make application development as easy as finger painting. Instead of ...