HELP: How to get personal starter kit to work?

am new...

i have MVS2005

i am running msql 2000

and i downloaded the personal starter kit and ran the pers.vsi and that installed the files on a directory...

i am running winxp asp.net 2.0

what would be my next step am completely lost...

0
chiquitz
2/8/2006 4:29:42 PM
asp.net.personal-site-kit 1290 articles. 0 followers. Follow

or can someone point me in the right direction....thanx...
0
chiquitz
2/9/2006 5:36:41 PM

I have not used the Personal Site Kit with VS2005, only VWD Express 2005. In VWD, after installing the pers.vsi, the next step is to click the New Web Site option on the File menu. You should look at options for types of new projects to create from the File menu. I would guess you will find a Template called Personal Web Site Starter Kit.

Jeremy

Extended Personal Site Starter kit
0
jwadsworth
2/9/2006 8:18:22 PM

thanks for your response,

yes, i did that but i get the following error:

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

now what i dont understand is on how to get it to connect to the Sql server which is a SQL2000 server on the same system as the application and why does it have to connect to two databases? i created the database (personal) on the Sqlserver.

web.config

<connectionStrings>
  <add name="Personal" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|Personal.mdf" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
  <remove name="LocalSqlServer"/>
  <add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|aspnetdb.mdf" />
 </connectionStrings>

0
chiquitz
2/9/2006 9:48:48 PM

In Visual Studio choose New Web Site and then choose the Personal Web Site Starter Kit. If you want to use Sql 2000 you will need to use the script files found in the AppData directory to create the database. To start out I would just use the Sql 2005 Express Edition cause it will work right away without having to change anything. If you do need SQL 2000 this forum post was really helpful to me . Good luck

http://incendy.spaces.live.com
0
Rafa
2/9/2006 10:06:55 PM

If you have already created your Personal database in SQL 2000. You will also need to add the membership services tables for the Role based security. This combines the two databases that you are talking about. You can do this by browsing to C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regsql.exe

Run that exe and then:

  • Click Next
  • Make sure radio button is selected that says "Configure SQL Server for application Services" and then click Next
  • Make sure you SQL 2000 server name is in the Server textbox
  • Choose your authentication
  • Select the Personal database from the drop down list and click Next.
  • Click Next again and then Finish.

Now Change both the connection strings you listed in your post. so that the connectionString value references your SQL Server 2000 server instance and personal database.

They are going to look similar to the following.

<add name="Personal" connectionString="Server=(Local);Integrated Security=True;database=Personal" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>

<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Server=(Local);Integrated Security=True;database=Personal" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>

Jeremy

Extended Personal Site Starter kit
0
jwadsworth

How to get Personal Site Starter Kit to work?? My experience thus far.
First of all, why is there no documentation included with the kit download? Wouldn't people that are considered 'starters' need some docs on how to install? OK, now that I got that off my chest....I downloaded the kit from this page: http://asp.net/default.aspx?tabindex=5&tabid=41Which links to this website: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=46243Which links to this file: http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/0/d/00d5a43d-2dd3-4692-b93e-0552f23e1946/pers.vsiDownload and double click that file and it creates two zip files (one for C# and one for VB.NET) in the folder: My Documents...

Getting Personal Website Starter Kit to work at Hostiong site with SQL Server 2005
Hi, I got the Personal Website Starter Kit working on my home computer which has SQL Server 2005 Express on it.  I would now like to put my website on the web.  However the hosting company I've picked uses SQL Server 2005 (NOT Express).  I do not have this at home.  Presumably there is a way to migrate the database?  Also, I think that I may not be allowed two databases, which is how the Starter Kit is setup.  Is it possible to migrate everything into one?  I'd appreciate it if someone could point me to an MSDN article or something that explain...

Is there a personal site starter kit for VS.NET?
I downloaded the personal site starter kit from microsoft ASP.NET site, but it's .vsi file. I don't know how to open it. Is there such a starter kit as the community kit that can be installed and viewed in VS.NET? Thanks,   Hi LLZ00 Don't try to save the vsi file but when you are prompted just click open. It will then prompt you to accept the Agreement. Just click on "I accept" from the bottom of the agreement. It will start the installation right away. But you will still need atleast VS 2005 Express edition. So download that before you download the starter kits. Once that is...

Getting personal website starter kit to work
I downloaded the personal website starter kit, then FTP'd it up to my website - peavyfamily.com . However, when I view the site I get an html 404 "Resource can by found" error. My host is 1&1 . The only advice I've gotten from their tech support so far is to "make the folder an application folder." I'm assuming they were talking about the root folder, so I made that an application folder and still get the 404 error. Does anyone have any idea of how to get it running, or have experience setting up aspx files with 1&1?whpinvest.com - Investment newsletter, subscribe...

TimeTracker Starter Kit as a subweb under the Personal Starter Kit
I am wanting to make the TimeTracker started kit as a subweb under the Personal Started Kit.  Is there any special way to do this or anything I should be worried about?  I am new to this and trying to develop a web application based off of these kits. ThanksChuck...

Cant get Personal Web Starter Kit Working
HiI have installed Windows Server 2003 R2 on a Virtual Server 2005. I installed Application Server with IIS6 and ASP.NET 2.0. I also installed Frontpage Extensions 2002. Then I installed SQL Server 2005 Express and the Management Tool.On the client machine (XP SP2) I installed Visual Studio 2005 (trial) and started a new web site named "Public". I created it on an HTTP location http://aspx.home.sk/Public (the dns is correctly set up), using the Frontpage Extensions it worked.When I first tested the page, it showed me that I should turn off custom error message. Then it displayed that the NET...

Please Help me to public Personal Web Site Starter Kit
I want to use Personal Web Site Starter Kit as my webSite, how can i configure IIS  ? I have got an fast IP, and a web site name forexample www.xxx.com   I want to point my IP to www.xxx.com      so when one does like www.xxx.com one can go to my website. any tutorial ?   thanks Hello,   Instead of putting it in a subweb folder, just put it in the root folder. For example create new web site from template > http://www.xxx.com  --Stephen http://velcrohurts.com...

How to get Personal Starter Kit to work with SQL 2005 Beta?
I have VS 2005 installed.  I then uninstalled SQL Server 2005 Express and Installed SQL Server 2005.  How do I make the Personal Site Starter Kit work with This? Try this link download the file execute the .sql file in Management Studio to create the database and create a user with DBO(database owner) permissions to connect to SQL Server.  Check the documentation for P ersonal more info.  There are very good posts from others who have got it to work.  Hope this helps.http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2EE85ED4-7613-47E2-8375-17222B150E4F&...

Personal Site Starter Kit ported to Phalanger
Hi,the Personal Site is now available in one more language - PHP. It's still ASP.NET but uses PHP instead of C# or VB.NET as the code-behind language. The compiler that makes it possible to write ASP.NET web sites in PHP by compiling PHP to verifiable .NET assemblies is called Phalanger, and was recently released under a shared source license.More information and download:http://www.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?ProjectName=Phalanger...

Personal Site Starter Kit, the usual hurdles to get something up and running.
 Hi folks,Well I installed the Personal Site starter kit and of course there are the usual hurdles to jump.I got the database schema created and changed the connection string in the web.config file.That appears to be working fine, what I am getting now is : Compilation Error Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately. Compiler Error Message: BC30554: 'Default_master' is ambiguous. Line 92: <System.Runtime.CompilerSe...

Personal web starter kit
I've tried everything. Is there a new Personal.mdf with the needed log file so I can use it w/ 2008??Rae The Personal.mdf will not work in Visual Studio 2008. And it also gives an error because there is no log file with the mdf database. Rachel I have made a personal sql 2008 database for you to download at http://www.jorvikdotnet.com/personal/Personal_2008.zip Hope it helps you out, Good luck. RegardsJeremyIf this has helped Please: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.That way future readers will know which post solved y...

PLEASE HELP! [Database connectivity problem while hosting personal web site starter kit]
First things first, a big hello to everyone in the forum here! I am a novice web application developer who has been introduced to the wonderful world of .NET only recently. I have the full developer edition of Visual Studio 2005. To get started, I tried to host the Personal Web Site Starter Kit bundled with the software onto the web just to see if I could actually deploy applications succcessfully (after all, of what use is a web application which is not on the web? :) ) However, I've run into a series of errors relating to database connectivity while trying to get this appli...

Do I need MS SQL database hosting to get the personal website starter kit to work?
Ive just downloaded 'Visual Web Developer Express beta 2' and am very new to all this. I have been playing arround with the personal website starter kit. Ive added a few pages changed some styles and now want to publish my first website. Im aware that currently the ASP.Net 2.0 service is only available on free trials, but when these expire will I have to pay the additional fees to activate MS SQL database hosting in addition to ASP.Net 2.0 scripting in order to get the site to work? i think the user registration and photo albums use this feature but im not ...

Help -- Unable to process Personal Web Site Starter Kit code -- VS Web Developer 2005
I originally sent this as "Error in Website1 Application" ... resending to hopefully get some help, or a suggestion of whom to turn to next (in MS or outside) ORIGINAL: I am running VS 2005, XP Pro, without SQL Server.  I opened the 'Create A Personal Web Site' ... everything appears okay, with a clean compile reported ... Ctrl F5 or F5 both result in a Server Error.  When I do a simple page without a database call, all is well ... I haven't reconfigured anything ... any suggestions on how I can determine what is wrong?  This is the first line of the error: ...

Web resources about - HELP: How to get personal starter kit to work? - asp.net.personal-site-kit

Personal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Personal (company) , a Washington, D.C.-based tech startup Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License ;additional ...

Personal Branding Blog - Dan Schawbel
The Personal Branding Blog offers branding and career advice from Dan Schawbel and his team of experts.

Hackers seek shoppers personal details over bank accounts, new study finds
Hackers hoping to steal people's financial details are moving away from targeting banks and are instead focusing on the big online stores.

Apple brings Personal Pickup to the UK today, following expansion to Australia and Canada
... or soon after to collect it. Apple extended the option to Australia and Canada earlier this week, and has now done the same for the UK. Personal ...

Apple brings Personal Pickup to UK, posts Guided Tour for Apple Pay
At long last, Apples Personal Pickup service has crossed the pond. Indeed, as reported by MacRumors , Apples in-store pickup option has made ...

Personal Income and Outlays: Income Hits Estimates, Spending Disappoints; Optimism Reins Supreme
Today's Personal Income and Outlays shows consumer spending once again on the "soft side" despite solid income growth. Income was in-line with ...

Personal Income increased 0.4% in October, Spending increased 0.1%
The BEA released the Personal Income and Outlays report for October: Personal income increased $68.1 billion, or 0.4 percent ... in October, ...

The Personal Is Political: 'Scandal' Tackles Reproductive Health
We don't see feminist issues in mainstream TV much anymore. Especially, we don't see many discussions about Planned Parenthood, or very popular ...

10 Liberals Who Use Guns For Personal Protection
10 Liberals Who Use Guns For Personal Protection

This Happened Here: The Night Wolves: Putin's Personal Motorcycle Gang
Meet President Putin's favorite biker gang and learn why the motorcyclists are banned from entering so many countries around the world.