Hi (and HELP!),

I downloaded the Personal WebSite Starter Kit and got it working no problem on my local machine.  But I've had nothing but frustration trying to get it up and running on a webhosting site.  I picked hostmysite.com which uses SQL Server 2005.  I was under the impression that it wouldn't be that big a deal to convert the .MDF files that Sql Server Express uses to a SQL Server 2005 database.  I tried using SQL Server Management Studio Express.  I was able to "see" my remote database on hostmysite.com, but I was not able to import the .mdf files into my database.  I now believe (from reading other posts) that this is not possible using SQL Server Management Studio Express.  What is one to do?  But a full version of SQL Server?  I suppose I can ask the hosting company to import the .mdf files, but as I'm still playing, this seems like a less than ideal solution.  Can anyone point me to a site with ideas, or better yet, explicit directions on how to get the Personal WebSite up and running on a site using SQL Server 2005?

Any help is much appreciated.  I'm a Window programmer and am just learing about Web Programming and SQL Server.

Dave

0
csharpuser
11/14/2006 12:23:24 AM
asp.net.personal-site-kit 1290 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Can through your hosting admin panel backup and or restore your database to a file?  If this is possible you probably should be able to make a backup of your database on your local machine, ftp it to a specific location and restore it to the hosting providers SQL Server.  I know with webhost4life you can do this.

- William

Give some of my PWSK modules a try.
0
whighfield
11/15/2006 12:49:50 AM

Thanks William for the response.  There is no way to backup or restore a database to/from a file.  However, I do see that there is an area for stored procedures and it looks like one can add a stored procedure.  Perhaps someone can point me to some example code of a stored procedure that (1) reads an mdb file into SQL Server 2005 database?  or (2) other ideas?

 BTW, I checked out your site (looks good!) and downloaded the code. I'll study it.  Do you use SQL Server 2005 or Express on your hosting machine?  If you use 2005, you must have faced these problems and others.  Is there more to it than just getting mdb files to a SQL Server 2005 database?  I'm guessing some lines need to change in web.config and possibly more stuff?

Thanks,

Dave

P.S. I'll check ou

0
csharpuser

Your question will be answered in a better way, with more details, if you ask this question in the right section.

Visit " Windows Hosting " section and ask in " Open Hosting " forums.

You will find this in this same forum only

cheers
SoftMind
0
SoftMind
11/15/2006 7:26:07 AM

Thanks Softmind.  I have followed your suggestion.

-Dave

0
csharpuser
11/15/2006 5:20:01 PM
csharpuser:

Thanks Softmind.  I have followed your suggestion.

-Dave

The best remains backup and restore, I have posted a faq of all the methods needed and if you don't have Management Studio post again so I can give you the link to download the advanced Express.  Hope this helps.

http://forums.asp.net/thread/1454694.aspx

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
0
Caddre
11/15/2006 5:35:03 PM

Caddre,

Yes if you have a link to management Studio Express that has backup and retore, please post it.  My understanding was that the Express version does not have this feature. So, if I understand you correctly, I could backup the .mdb Express files to a backup file and then restore it to my SQL 2005 database on my hosting server (which I can see with Studio Express from my local machine.).

Thank you.

-Dave.

0
csharpuser
11/15/2006 8:22:42 PM

They lied to you the Advanced Express gives you all but the Agent and you can use a limited DTS when you install the Advanced with service pack 1. Post gain if you still have questions. Hope this helps.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/download/

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
0
Caddre

Join this thread and read about how you can use backup and restore and you can ask both Mark and Smiling Forever for specific help.  Hope this helps.

http://forums.asp.net/thread/1452833.aspx

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
0
Caddre
11/16/2006 3:02:35 AM

Caddre,

Thanks!  The Advanced Express Management Studio does indeed have options "Backup" and "Restore" under "Tasks".  These were missing under the regular Express Management Studio.  I'm still confused how to proceed though.  How do I use this to transfer SQL Server Express mdb files (2 of them) to a SQL Server 2005 database?  Do I need to somehow first get the mdb files into a SQL Server 2005 database on my local machine?  If so, how?  I see that backup/restore work with regsvr file?  I don't see any options for handling mdb files.

Thanks,

Dave

0
csharpuser
11/16/2006 5:59:08 AM

(How do I use this to transfer SQL Server Express mdb files (2 of them) to a SQL Server 2005 database?)

Good you brought it up because mdb is Access file not SQL Server file, SQL Server Express included uses MDF(Microsoft data file) and LDF (log data file) but most starter kits comes with only MDF.

(Do I need to somehow first get the mdb files into a SQL Server 2005 database on my local machine? If so, how? I see that backup/restore work with regsvr file? I don't see any options for handling mdb files. )

That is the job of the Backup and Restore wizard but it creates a .bak file instead of MDF, That is covered in the faq thread with a free backup and restore chapter on SQL Server 2005 I posted earlier. The MDF goes in the first location below and the .bak goes in the second. How to do things in SQL Server just run searches in the BOL(books online) instructions comes in T-SQL and GUI Management Studio.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\DATA

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Backup

The other option is to create a blank database and use the limited DTS to move your databases, it is a also a wizard, if you cannot find it check the faq I posted on how to get it. This comes with you adding permissions yourself very complicated, Backup and Restore moves everything permissions included.  So you just adjust your Web.Config to point to the new server. Hope this helps.

http://forums.asp.net/thread/1458004.aspx
Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
0
Caddre
11/16/2006 5:27:41 PM

Thanks Caddre for all the help.  I was able to "Attach" the mdf files to a sql server express database on my local machine.  Then I did a backup to get a .bak file.  I transferred this file via ftp to my hosting site (www.hostmysite.com)  However, I am unable to do the last step, restoring the .bak file to my database on the hosting site.  When I try to using Management Studio Express to restore the file and put the file in the appropriate box, I get a message like:

"The database Engiine service could not resolve the specified file location. Either the location does not exist, or the current login account does not have access to it. ......

I checked with my hosting company and they claim I'm using the right file path and that I have permissions but I can't be sure.  They also don't provide any tools on their hosting panel to restore files that way.  So I'm stuck.  Curiously, they did try restoring the file themselves and said they got a message that "the file is a different type".  This might make sense as the backup was done on a SQL Server Express DB and the restore is to a SQL Server 2005 DB, but I thought that should work.  Perhaps I'll try another hosting company.  Do you have any recommendations?  And do you recommend any SQL Server books that cover beginning topics like "Attach", "Backup/Restore" and migrating from SQL Server Express to 2005?

Thanks again for all your help.

Dave.

0
csharpuser
11/19/2006 5:00:26 AM

If they will restore for you tell them to put the .bak in the location below in their server and then go into Management Studio and use the Backup and Restore wizard choose restore from device option and tell them there will be an Ellipse on the side of the Wizard click it for SQL Server to create the file path because if you create the path SQL Server gets confused, their job is just to verify that the path is correct and it is almost done.

 C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Backup

Now to the second option there is Attach code in the thread below modify it to fit your needs, if you restored your last backup SQL Server would have created the LDF for you so check the Data sub folder for it.  It is not complicated post again if you still have question.  Hope this helps.

http://forums.asp.net/thread/977493.aspx

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
0
Caddre

upgrading from sql server 2005 express edition to sql server 2005 express with advanced services
If i have been using sql server 2005 express for developing my application and i decide to upgrade to sql server 2005 express with advanced services while still working on the same application, what will happen to my  application's database. Can i be able to continue with my work with out any major regrets.--------------------------------------------------No Project Too Eazy.-------------------------------------------------- I have answered you in this other thread there is no problem, if there is a problem I would have warned you.  Hope this helps.http://forums.asp.net/...

connection to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL server express 2005 to function properly.
I dont have the SQL EXPRESS installed instead I have SQL Standard Edition.  I have two SQL Server instances installed.  1- UserLT (this is sql 2000)2- UserLT\SQL2005 (this is SQL 2005 named instance) But when i try to add a database to my VS website project I get the following error: Connection to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL server express 2005 to function properly. please verify the installation of the component or download from the URL: go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkId=4925 I went in Tools>Opetions>DataBase tools>Data Connection>Sql Server Instance Name (...

Confliction between SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
Hi,   My objective is using a single DB file (mdf file)  + SQL Server Express 2005 to run my program   I got two softwares here, Visual Studio 2005 and SQL Server 2005. Firstly, I installed Visual Studio 2005, normally the SQL Server 2005 Express Edition will be installed with this software. After finishing the installation. I opened a new project and try to open a DB file (.mdf) from Visual Studio 2005, it works. The problem is that I can't restore the mdf file from an old database file since it lose a lot of functions that appear in SQL Server 2000 / SQL Server 2005. ...

Sql Server 2005 Express or Sql Server 2005 Developer Edition
Hi all, I just installed my VS 2005 Pro (full installation) and it installed Sql Server Express 2005.  I also have a CD for Sql Server 2005 Developer Edition which I have not installed yet.  My need for Sql Server on my development machine is for building and testing apps - just myself - no users will be hitting my sql server on my PC.  Most of the time I hit my web server's sql server but also want the engine on my PC for when I'm offline. Question: Should I install the developer edition and remove sql server express?  Doesn't the developer edition more close...

Moving SQL Server 2005 Database to SQL Server 2005 Express
Hi, I have SQL Server 2005 in my Development machine but the hosting server has only SQL server 2005 Express. I was wondering if I develop the DB in SQL server 2005 would be able to move/deploy it to SQL Server Express in the production server? If so how? Can I just generate the script and then run it on the productions server? Or there is a better/easier way? Thanks in advanceShuaib----------------------- I don't anticipate any problems creating database in SQL Server 2005 and moving it to Express. If you need to generate the script to create an empty shell (no d...

How to convert a SQL Server 2005 Database to SQL Server Express
Hi, I have a SQL Server 2005 Database that I would like to export to SQL Server Express. How do I go about this? I've tried backing it up, creating a new (blank) SQL Server Express Database and trying to restore it, but get the following message: TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio------------------------------ Restore failed for Server 'PRODSOL-LAPTOP1\SQLEXPRESS'.  (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo) For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=9.00.2047.00&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOp...

If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly?
If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly? Thanks! Hi asdpai, I am not sure if I catch your meaning.But if you want to upgrade the SQL Server 2005 Express to SQL Server 2008 Express, you may refer to the following link: Version and Edition Upgradeshttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393.aspxHow to: Upgrade to SQL Server 2008 (Setup)http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144267.aspxJian KangMicrosoft Online Community SupportPlease remember to mark the replies as answers if t...

Error: Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly.
Hi guy'sI downloaded the Visual Web Developer 2005 Express, as well as SQL Server 2005 Express, and I am following the instructions given by sbwalker for the DotNetNuke 4.0.0 Starter Kit and Templates. I've gotten stuck trying to create the first Database.mdf file, I get an error that says:"Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly. Please verify the installation of the component or download from the URL http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=49251Any ideas what I should do? I installed SQL Server before Web Developer, and as far as I c...

SQL Server Express and SQL Server 2005
can any one tell me what the main differences are in the two editions? also can you use and express 2005 edition database on sql 2005? if not how would you do that? Tuppers Look here for a detailed comparison between the two.Yes, you can use Express databases on SQL Server 2005. Just attach it to an instance of SQL Server 2005.Is this enough information?DonDon Kiely, MCP, MCSDIn the Last Frontier, Interior AlaskaPlease post questions and replies to the forum! And remember to MARK AS ANSWER when someone definitively answers a question or resolves a problem! cheers i was told by my host t...

Restoring a SQL Server Express 2005 Database to SQL Server Standard 2005
Hello,If I backup and restore an express database to sql server 2005 standard, will there still be limitations in regards to the database size, cpu...etc.? Thanks,Jon  I suppose that no. Limitations are connected to SQL engine not to database itself. But probably if your database will grow up connected to SQL Standard and you will try to move it back to SQL express you will be in trouble.  ThanksJPazgier...

Web resources about - Converting MDF files (SQL Server Express) to SQL Server 2005 WITHOUT having to buy SQL Server 2005 (I have Express). Personal WebSite Starter Kit - asp.net.personal-site-kit

PastBook’s Filepicker.io Integration Eases Process Of Converting Facebook Content To Books
PastBook , one of several companies that allow Facebook users to publish their content on the social network in actual books , announced the ...

Zwartz Laminating-Converting B.V. on the App Store on iTunes
Get Zwartz Laminating-Converting B.V. on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

"Occupier" Thanked Former Soviet Citizen for "Converting" Him to Capitalism, Pro-Israel, Pro-USA - YouTube ...
May Day Demonstration on Union Square in New York City Zionism & Birth of Modern Israel in 1948: Former Soviet Citizen Pays Tribute to Ben-Gurion ...