Which .Net Provider for Oracle 9i Microsoft or Oracle

Can anyone provide me pros and cons of provider to access Oracle Database ? I am aware of Microsoft Provider and Oracle Provider.

Microsoft
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndotnet/html/manprooracperf.asp
Oracle
http://otn.oracle.com/software/tech/windows/odpnet/utilsoft.html
1
dotnstuff

I guess you can use either. But as some post suggests, if both installed, then MS ODP will not work.
-2
SarahLiu
4/3/2003 4:57:30 AM
I've been using DataDirect Technologies Connect for .Net and Oracle.  It's not free, so it depends on your budget.

The speed improvements were great for us, and it's nice having 24 hour support for data driver issues.
Also, it doesn't require the Oracle client loaded on the webserver...it goes directly at the database without it.
http://www.datadirecttechnologies.com/products/dotnet/dotnetindex.asp
good luck,
Bruce
2
bkrasnof
4/17/2003 7:05:36 PM
Personally, I have heard a great deal of praise from the Oracle community for the Oracle .NET Data Provider. Its removal of abstraction layers seems to make it significantly faster than standard Oracle drivers. I've been using it for quite a while and haven't run into a reason to switch yet, though I don't have high-volume database traffic, so I can't vouch for the performance gains from personal experience.

Pick up a copy of the Oracle magazine, however, and all those crazy ODBA's in black turtlenecks will tell you the Oracle .NET ODP is king. I'm inclined to believe them. :)

rootOffice.com
- Affordable ASP.net hosting.
0
steve
4/22/2003 3:34:28 PM
The datadirect drivers seem a little unstable at the moment... they have at least one or two bugs in them.  Furthermore, while bypassing OCI and the like reduces overhead, it also reduces some performance & security features.

The Oracle provider has the best featureset in terms of overloaded functions and the like; I'd recommend that one if you can use it. The MS provider that was downloadable for .NET 1.0 has some questionable cursor closing practices (or lack thereof) when dealing with stored procedures that return cursors but the one that comes with 1.1 is better and is also a good choice.
0
Stephen
4/22/2003 8:39:53 PM
I recently read an article in Oracle's magazine and it really suggested that Oracle's provider was far superior to the ODBC drivers, which of course it is.  On a sidebar, toward the end of the article was a comparision of Oracle's provider and Microsoft's provider.  The article admitted that there was little functionality added by Oracle's provider.  Mainly the differences were in how the provider's handled the Oracle data types like BLOB and stuff.

If you are using the 1.1 version of the Framework Microsoft's Oracle provider is included, so I wouldn't worry about getting Oracle's, you don't get much added functionallity.
0
aw232
4/30/2003 3:09:15 PM
Steve, Have you had any issues while trying to ExecuteNonQuery?I've tried everything!

It's just hanging for me.
Protected WithEvents OleDbConnection2 As New OracleConnection()
Protected WithEvents OleDbDataAdapter1 As New OracleDataAdapter()
Protected WithEvents OleDbCommand1 As New OracleCommand()
Dim iRowsAff As Int16
With OleDbCommand1
.Connection = OleDbConnection2
'.Transaction = oTrans
.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure
.CommandText = "sp_Clear_Users_Hyperions"
.Parameters.Add(New OracleParameter("p_UserName", OracleType.VarChar, 30, ParameterDirection.Input, False, CType(0, Byte), CType(0, Byte), "USER_NAME", DataRowVersion.Current, sDPUserName))
iRowsAff = .ExecuteNonQuery

Santiago E. Perez

President

Tech Media Solutions, Inc.

http://www.techmediasolutions.com

305.710.1784
0
SantiagoPerez
4/30/2003 3:44:06 PM
this may be a silly question, but where are you opening the connection?
0
aw232
5/4/2003 7:29:38 AM
aw232. Sorry for not pasting the entire code. I figured out what the problem was! Somwhere along the lines some SQL I ran started blocking all other commands on the ORacle box. I was hesitating to call the DBA but finally did and he told me I had 7 sessions hung up on the Oracle box. One or two sessions were blocking the others and thus why the web page was hung up. And when your stopping and starting during dev you don't always get to close your connections properly.

Darn Oracle!.... Or should I say darn... close connection!
Santiago E. Perez

President

Tech Media Solutions, Inc.

http://www.techmediasolutions.com

305.710.1784
0
SantiagoPerez
5/5/2003 10:35:23 AM
Get into the habit of always opening your connections in a Try block and closing your connections in the corresponding Finally block.  Don't even compile without doing this.

Trust your connection pool and always Open and Close in the same function. It will result in fewer frustrating bugs.
0
rponton
5/8/2003 11:55:11 PM
doesnt the oracle driver have connection pooling / dropped connections issues?
0
luzer

Choosing Oracle Client Version with Microsoft Managed Oracle Provider For .net
We need to change the Oracle Client that the System.Data.OracleClient uses to connect to our database on a server that has multiple versions of the Oracle Client. A different application on the server that we do not have control over is requiring the default ORACLE_HOME directory to remain an older Oracle 9i version of the client. Because of this, our applications using the Managed Oracle Provider for .net are using the 9i client to connect. We have a planned Oracle upgrade for our Database that will require us to use the new 10g version of the client that is also installed on the server, bu...

.NET Oracle Provider
Hi all,I am using .NET 2.0 Frameworks Oracle provider and it does not have a OracleDbTypes Type for me to use. I would like to create a parameter that is of the Oracle type NVARCHAR, but it seems I can only use DbTypes, which does not have this. If I used DbTypes.String, would this be ok, otherwise, how else can I be more specific about the Oracle Parameter data type?Thanks  can u explain which type of data u r going to storeThank uBaba Thank uBabaPlease remember to click "Mark as Answer" on this post if it helped you. What's your version of ODP? You have OracleD...

How call a Oracle Function using Microsoft .Net Oracle Client (System.Data.OracleClient)?
I try to call Oracle Function in .net C# by using System.Data.OracleClient. But i am not successful. Here is my code FUNCTION TTHAO_MONTT_EXISTS ( vten varchar2) RETURN boolean IS ret boolean; montt_id integer; BEGIN ret:=false; montt_id:= -1; select monthethao_id into montt_id from TTHAO_MONTHETHAO where ten = vten; if montt_id!=-1 then ret:=true; end if; return ret; Exception when others then return false; END; I do not know, when I call function TTHAO_MONTT_E...

Oracle Spatial support in Devart's ADO.NET Data Provider for Oracle [Edit]
dotConnect for oracle v. 7.3 http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle/ , ADO.NET Provider from Devart, includes support for Oracle Spatial in the projects, using Entity Framework. Devart Team constantly implements all the available Entity Framework innovations, and shortly after the introduction of DbGeometry and DbGeography classes in Entity Framework 5 has implemented support for Oracle Spatial in the Entity Framework provider for Oracle. Oracle MDSYS.SDO_GEOMETRY object type can now be mapped to DbGeometry and DbGeography classes. Now dotConnect for Oracle includes new versions of Devar...

Oracle ODP.net mulitple Oracle Client
To connect to the oracle database using ODP.net, the applicate must add the dll file called Oracle.DataAccess. There are a lot of version of Oracle.DataAccess. As I know, if the client use Oracle Client 10g Release 2. If the client use Oracle Client 10g Release 2, the application also have to use the Oracle.DataAccess the come from Oracle Client 10g Release 2.  My question is that there are any method to add more than one Oracle.DataAccess version in my product to support multiple OracleClient.   That should automatically happen for the most part.  Oracle's ODP.NET i...

DBD::ORACLE for Oracle 9i
------_=_NextPart_001_01C3846E.B1471300 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" We have Oracle 9i, is there a DBD::ORACLE for Oracle 9i? Thanks, Mei PRIVACY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain business confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If this e-mail was not intended for you, please notify the sender by reply e-mail that you received this in error. Destroy all copies of the original message and at...

oracle 9i with .net
  hi all, am new to oracle with .net.i installed only oracle 9i server on a machine.when i try to connect from a .net installed on a another machine.. it says requires oracle 8i client...where do i install oracle client...In a .net installed machine.if suppose i did that whoever talk to oracledb we need to install oracleclient  whoever wants...is it that way..or i have to intsall oracleclient on a oracleserver installed machine itself..once i did that whoever want to talk to oracle..nw it wont ask orcaleclient...   adavice me in this regard. you will have to...

vb.net function and Oracle procedure to get an Oracle Dataset??
I have similar code (a procedure and function) working perfectly with a sql server data source. I;'m trying to do the same things with Oracle, but have run into the problems.    I'm not an oracle expert, so I'm not sure if producing a cursor is my only and best  option. create or replace package body PK_RETAILER isPROCEDURE sp_Get_Order_History(v_ani IN number,output_cursor out PK_CURSORES.generic_cursor) ASBEGINopen output_cursor forselect o.account_number, p.phone, o.amount, o.name, o.init_datefrom orders ojoin users_phones p on p.account_number...

DBD::Oracle for Oracle 9i versoin 9.2.0 (64 bit Oracle)
I am unable to compile/build DBD::Oracle with Oracle 9i (64-bit Oracle RDBMS) library. Could someone please help? Thanks. regards surjit This message contains information from Equifax Inc. which may be confidential and privileged. If you are not an intended recipient, please refrain from any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this information and note that such actions are prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify by e-mail postmaster@equifax.com. On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 05:14:03PM -0400, Surjit.Sahoo@equifax.com wrote: ...

oracle RAC and Oracle 11gR2 installation with oracle ASM
hi how to perform oracle RAC 11gR2 and Oracle Database 11gR2 installation with oracle ASM on open SUSE 11.1 x86_64?? what short of package to find for oracle ASM and OCFS?? regards -- csayantan ------------------------------------------------------------------------ You need to download the rac and asmlib stuff from oracle. You then need to present san storage to each node. You will then need to stamp each asm lun with /etc/init.d/oracleasm createdisk NAME /dev/sandevice. -- icorson ------------------------------------------------------------------------...

Oracle and .Net
I realize this is an open ended question.  I've written several applications that use Access databases as input.  All of my reading, writing, deleting and updating to these databases were always through Oledbconnections; then creating Sql parameter queries or just creating queries in code to manage data.  I may be getting involved with an application whose data is kept in an Oracle database.  How much different is it from obtaining data from Access databases?  Does the same theories apply:  Create a connection, open the connection, r...

Web resources about - Which .Net Provider for Oracle 9i Microsoft or Oracle - asp.net.oracle

Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft Cloud Partner - Home

Microsoft Hohm Service Discontinuation
Microsoft-Hohm discontinuation message