Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Data Provider for Oracle and the Oracle Data Provider for .NET

I am confused?

Which is better or which one should I use?
BTW, I am going to use .net 2.0 with oracle 9. Can anyone tell me what shou I use for working with oracle database?

Thanks very much in advance!

Justin

-1
justindongqiang

Oracle's data provider has more functionality than Microsoft's.

If your doing transaction processing you can have SAVEPOINTs, which Microsoft's data provider does not provide.

Also, Oracle has PL/SQL Associative Arrays which are very powerful.

Oracle also allows you to bind parameters by name and position, Microsoft only offers position.

One big advantage that Microsoft's data provider has it that its Data Access Application Block in the Enterprise Library inheritly supports the Microsoft data provider.

--dweezil

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue = 'yes';

Records found: 0
-1
dweezil
3/7/2006 7:38:12 PM
Here is an article by Microsoft that compares the two data providers.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnadonet/html/odpvsmsdp.asp

--dweezil

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue = 'yes';

Records found: 0
1
dweezil

Which .Net Provider for Oracle 9i Microsoft or Oracle
Can anyone provide me pros and cons of provider to access Oracle Database ? I am aware of Microsoft Provider and Oracle Provider. Microsoft http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndotnet/html/manprooracperf.asp Oracle http://otn.oracle.com/software/tech/windows/odpnet/utilsoft.html I guess you can use either. But as some post suggests, if both installed, then MS ODP will not work. I've been using DataDirect Technologies Connect for .Net and Oracle. It's not free, so it depends on your budget. The speed improvements were great for us, and it's ni...

How call a Oracle Function using Microsoft .Net Oracle Client (System.Data.OracleClient)?
I try to call Oracle Function in .net C# by using System.Data.OracleClient. But i am not successful. Here is my code FUNCTION TTHAO_MONTT_EXISTS ( vten varchar2) RETURN boolean IS ret boolean; montt_id integer; BEGIN ret:=false; montt_id:= -1; select monthethao_id into montt_id from TTHAO_MONTHETHAO where ten = vten; if montt_id!=-1 then ret:=true; end if; return ret; Exception when others then return false; END; I do not know, when I call function TTHAO_MONTT_E...

Oracle Spatial support in Devart's ADO.NET Data Provider for Oracle [Edit]
dotConnect for oracle v. 7.3 http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle/ , ADO.NET Provider from Devart, includes support for Oracle Spatial in the projects, using Entity Framework. Devart Team constantly implements all the available Entity Framework innovations, and shortly after the introduction of DbGeometry and DbGeography classes in Entity Framework 5 has implemented support for Oracle Spatial in the Entity Framework provider for Oracle. Oracle MDSYS.SDO_GEOMETRY object type can now be mapped to DbGeometry and DbGeography classes. Now dotConnect for Oracle includes new versions of Devar...

Not seeing Oracle Data Provider for .NET in Change Data Source window
We've been chasing this down for a couple of days now, and for some reason haven't found an answer as to why. Problem: We've installed Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio .NET with Oracle 10g Release 2 ODAC 10.2.0.2.21... but we are not seeing the Oracle Data Provider for .NET in the Change Data Source window of VS2005 Team Edition. I've seen many posts and helpful sites that show this as an option after installing said product.  We've installed and reinstalled, and have checked the GAC, machine.config and registry settings, but it is not showing up.  It ...

.NET Oracle Provider
Hi all,I am using .NET 2.0 Frameworks Oracle provider and it does not have a OracleDbTypes Type for me to use. I would like to create a parameter that is of the Oracle type NVARCHAR, but it seems I can only use DbTypes, which does not have this. If I used DbTypes.String, would this be ok, otherwise, how else can I be more specific about the Oracle Parameter data type?Thanks  can u explain which type of data u r going to storeThank uBaba Thank uBabaPlease remember to click "Mark as Answer" on this post if it helped you. What's your version of ODP? You have OracleD...

Choosing Oracle Client Version with Microsoft Managed Oracle Provider For .net
We need to change the Oracle Client that the System.Data.OracleClient uses to connect to our database on a server that has multiple versions of the Oracle Client. A different application on the server that we do not have control over is requiring the default ORACLE_HOME directory to remain an older Oracle 9i version of the client. Because of this, our applications using the Managed Oracle Provider for .net are using the 9i client to connect. We have a planned Oracle upgrade for our Database that will require us to use the new 10g version of the client that is also installed on the server, bu...

reference for .net data provider for Oracle
Does anybody know of a reference for the new .net data provider for Oracle. In the MSDN site there is still only references for the Sql Server data provider and the oledb provider. Or should I just use the sql server reference and substitute oracle for sql? Here you go... http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=40032&area=search&ordinal=1 Anil - - http://SecureCoder.com - Architecture & Security in an Insecure World - thanks, but that wasnt' what I was looking for. I was hoping for more of a reference like at http://msdn.microsoft.com/lib...

Oracle Data Providers and NET 2.0
I am trying to gather a list of possible .NET 2.0 Data PRoviders to access an Oracle database other than the Microsoft Oracle provider and ODP.NET. Anyone using any that they would recommend and are industrial strength?Thanks,Bill KBill KirkmanConcentra Preferred Systemsbkirkman@-nospam-concentra.com Here is the link . http://www.datadirect.com/products/net/index.ssp Actually I don't use this product but people said it's much faster than the microsoft and the oracle data provider. ...

Oracle Data Provider for .NET 2.0
Does anybody know where to find the Oracle Data Provider for ASP.NET 2.0 (if it exists)?Thanks Hello, You can use the SQLDataSource to connect to Oracle.  SQL doesn't mean SQL Server, but rather a SQL database.Brian"Trust in the Lord and do what is good; dwell in the land and live securely. Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you your heart's desires" (Psalm 37: 3-4).  T ry the link below I am not saying it includes the Asp.net 2.0 provider but this is a new tool from Oracle.  Hope this helps.http://www.oracle.com/webapps/dialogue/dlgpage.jsp?p_dlg_i...

Web resources about - which is shou i use? Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Data Provider for Oracle and the Oracle Data Provider for .NET - asp.net.oracle

Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft Cloud Partner - Home

Microsoft Hohm Service Discontinuation
Microsoft-Hohm discontinuation message