VB.NET to oracle database connection

Hello,

 I've been trying for days to try to connect to oracle database but still no success, I've put the connection in the web.config in the <ConnectionString> place, created the connection on the page itself:
Private sqlCon As New OleDbConnection("Provider=msdaora;Data Source=Server1/orcl2;User Id=Train;Password=Train;") but still no success,

Now I'm trying to make a local connection throught Tools > Connect to database but still no success.

All I get is this:

System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name at

Could somebody please help me out with this

Thanks for any help

0
Jagarm

 You need to add a TNS to your oracle client first, do you have the oracle client isntalled on your machine?

0
s10n
2/21/2008 2:37:46 PM

I have installed this from oracle: OraOLEDB_81730, the oracle server database on is another computer aka Server1

0
Jagarm
2/21/2008 2:43:28 PM

The following are the stuff in Admin folder

Directory of C:\oracle\ora81\network\ADMIN

02/20/2008  03:17 PM    <DIR>          .
02/20/2008  03:17 PM    <DIR>          ..
02/20/2008  01:00 PM               412 listener.ora
02/20/2008  10:30 AM    <DIR>          SAMPLE
02/20/2008  12:59 PM               265 sqlnet.ora
02/20/2008  12:58 PM               265 sqlnet08022012PM5858.bak
02/20/2008  12:58 PM               348 tnsnames08022012PM5858.bak

0
Jagarm
2/21/2008 2:45:16 PM

 I suggest you to get the full oracle client from oracle, it will give you better performance and it's easier to use, get it from here

http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/oracle10g/htdocs/10201winsoft.html

0
s10n

Help me pls. i wan't code for startup and shutdown oracle database with vb.net or c#.net
Help me pls. i wan't code for startup and shutdown oracle database with vb.net or c#.net In Windows, it would be easier to interact with Oracle by way of the service...  (I've not tried it myself, but this should work fine for a service installed on the same machine as the .net application:using System.ServiceProcess; ServiceController controller = new ServiceController(); controller.MachineName = "."; controller.ServiceName = "OracleServiceORCL"; string status = controller.Status.ToString(); // Stop the service controller.Stop(); // Start the ...

OleDb.Net vs. ODBC.Net Connection to Oracle
I want to connect to an Oracle database, and I understand that I can use either the OleDB.Net data provider or the ODBC.Net data provider for my connection. Does it matter which one I use? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Would appreciate any input. ODBC is slower than OleDb. because ODBC has to talk to OleDbProvider then OleDbProvider will talk to Oracle Db. Instead if you are able to use OleDb straight to DB then it will be faster. If you only have THOSE choices, I would take OleDb over ODBC any day. If you are using Framework 1.1, you have the choice of using th...

Oracle Database - .NET
first of all hello and nice to see you all. this is my first post on this forum and it seems pretty useful..okay just got a small question... i have started to implement Compiere (http://www.compiere.org) in a factory 1. Installed Linux 2. Installed Oracle XE 10g what i want to do is to connect on the oracle database from VS .NET 2005 i checked ConnectionStrings.com nothing worked .. anyone got a solution for this?Did any one every connect from ASP .NET or a Windows Application on oracle running on a linux (CENTOS server)?  thankskimoo   Hi,    ...

VB.NET and Oracle database, help
i am trying to connect to a Oracle database using VB.NET. that database has one table which has one entry in it. no compilation errors, no runtime errors... but no result either.i've downloaded the system.data.oracleclient.dll as u can see i referenced it in the code, i've opened a connection manually(not with the code) with the oracle database.here's the code: <%@ Page Language="vb" Explicit="true" AutoEventWireup="false" Codebehind="WebForm1.aspx.vb" Inherits="WebApplication2.WebForm1" CompilerOptions='/R:"C:\Pr...

vb.net function and Oracle procedure to get an Oracle Dataset??
I have similar code (a procedure and function) working perfectly with a sql server data source. I;'m trying to do the same things with Oracle, but have run into the problems.    I'm not an oracle expert, so I'm not sure if producing a cursor is my only and best  option. create or replace package body PK_RETAILER isPROCEDURE sp_Get_Order_History(v_ani IN number,output_cursor out PK_CURSORES.generic_cursor) ASBEGINopen output_cursor forselect o.account_number, p.phone, o.amount, o.name, o.init_datefrom orders ojoin users_phones p on p.account_number...

Connect to Oracle DB in VB.NET App.
Hi All, I have a requirement of writhing VB.NET application using Oracle 8i database. I'm connecting to Oracle DB from my VB.NET Application. But I want to make my application as EXE and use in different computer withing the same network which does not has Oracle client installed. How can I do that?? Without installing Oracle client on that computer can I use my application?. If so how?? Thanks, Chamil. You could set up a webserver on the network and use WebServices for all of your database functionality. That way you could return datasets etc.. instead of or...

Storing images in Oracle database thry vb.net
Hi, Can anyone help me in storing images in Oracle database thru Vb.net. It will be helpful for me if u can mention in detail with code. As of now iam storing the path of the image file in database. Thanks in advance, Chakri Cheers,Chakri See if below link could helps you http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322796Sreedharhttp://www.w3coder.orgweblog http://weblogs.asp.net/skoganti...

connection string for Oracle database c# dot net
how to connect the oracle database from the asp.net C# code.. thanks in advance for your guidance.. Hi, take a look at: http://www.connectionstrings.com/?carrier=oracle. Grz, Kris.Read my blog. Handy Firefox plugins for web developers. it was useful. thanks a lot.....

Problem with Oracle Stored Procedures using ODP.NET in VB.NET (VS 2003)
This is the stored procedure,Procedure RetrieveReservations(pProperty In Varchar2,pResHeaderId In Varchar2,pEmail In Varchar2,pPasswd In Varchar2,ResultSet In Out ResCursor);This is the old .asp code (part of it)objConn.ConnectionString = Application("BackEndConnection_ConnectionString")objConn.Open objComm.ActiveConnection = objConn objComm.CommandText = "internet_package.RetrieveReservations"objComm.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc objComm.Parameters.Append objComm.CreateParameter("pProperty", adVarChar , adParamInput, 8, Request.QueryString("propid"))objComm.Parameters.Append objComm.Crea...

oracle connectivity with .net
I just want to make the connectivity of .net with oracle database . i just want to know the steps for it and also the connection string. also one more thing, Is oracle connectivity with .net working smothly as with mssql? Please help me .  ThanksAnkur PanditM.Tech(cse)persuingIndia  If you are familier with conncting MySql with asp.net - you need no to do much.  ankurpandit:Is oracle connectivity with .net working smothly as with mssql?  Yes, its very smooth. Once you will start digging oracle - you will feel the immense power of this RDBMS.  =============...

Web resources about - VB.NET to oracle database connection - asp.net.oracle

French authorities detain suspects in connection to attacks 10 months apart
CNN French authorities detain suspects in connection to attacks 10 months apart CNN A forensic scientist works near a Paris cafe on Saturday, ...