vb.net oracle update

Hello,

I'm trying to attempt my first oracle update in code. This is an update off of a gridview.

Below is my code. When I run I get this error: ORA-00911: invalid character.
I checked the values of strPassW, txtSecurity and txtUserId and they are all valid.

Can you tell me what is wrong? Thanks

NewOracleConnection.Open()
Dim trans As OracleTransaction = NewOracleConnection.BeginTransaction(IsolationLevel.ReadCommitted)
Dim cmd As New OracleCommand("Update ZSIGNON set UserPassWord=?, SecurityLevel=? " & _
                   "Where UserId=?", NewOracleConnection)

cmd.Parameters.Add(New OracleParameter("UserPassWord", strPassW))
cmd.Parameters.Add(New OracleParameter("SecurityLevel", txtSecurity))
cmd.Parameters.Add(New OracleParameter("UserId", txtRecid))

cmd.ExecuteNonQuery()                ' I get the error on this line.

StrangerMike

ORA-00911:

invalid character
Cause:

identifiers may not start with any ASCII character other than letters and numbers. $#_ are also allowed after the first character. Identifiers enclosed by doublequotes may contain any character other than a doublequote. Alternative quotes (q'#...#') cannot use spaces, tabs, or carriage returns as delimiters. For all other contexts, consult the SQL Language Reference Manual.

you might be having some semicolon(;) some kinda invalid string with variables you are passing just checkout that. you might be using these in password filed, if it is so change that field to correct datatype which accepts special chars.

THIS REDUCES TIME FOR OTHERS..!
0
SurendraKishore
4/14/2009 5:41:59 PM

Not really knowing how to use parameters with the oracle update. I did get the update working by removing the parameter parts and using this instead:

Dim cmd As New OracleCommand("Update ZSIGNON set UserPassWord='" & strPassW & "', SecurityLevel='" & txtSecurity & "' Where UserId='" & txtRecid & "'", NewOracleConnection)

Perhaps the invalid character was the =? as I would if it were a oldeb command. Perhaps Oracle uses something else.

StrangerMike
4/14/2009 6:47:23 PM

Not sure if this will help but try:

 Update ZSIGNON set UserPassWord=:UserPassword, SecurityLevel=:SecurityLevel Where UserId=:UserId

Then set the parameters as

cmd.Parameters.Add(New OracleParameter(":UserPassWord", strPassW))
cmd.Parameters.Add(New OracleParameter(":SecurityLevel", txtSecurity))
cmd.Parameters.Add(New OracleParameter(":UserId", txtRecid))

or even
Dim paramUserId as New OracleParameter(":UserPassword", OracleDbType.Varchar2)
paramUserId.Value = strPassW
cmd.Parameters.Add(paramUserId)

Also, be careful not to use any oracle reserved words for parameter names: http://www.uwex.edu/infosys/oraprod/reserved/

This is how I assign oracle parameters when using the oracle data access client.

Good luck

0
GreenSands

vb.net function and Oracle procedure to get an Oracle Dataset??
I have similar code (a procedure and function) working perfectly with a sql server data source. I;'m trying to do the same things with Oracle, but have run into the problems.    I'm not an oracle expert, so I'm not sure if producing a cursor is my only and best  option. create or replace package body PK_RETAILER isPROCEDURE sp_Get_Order_History(v_ani IN number,output_cursor out PK_CURSORES.generic_cursor) ASBEGINopen output_cursor forselect o.account_number, p.phone, o.amount, o.name, o.init_datefrom orders ojoin users_phones p on p.account_number...

Problem with Oracle Stored Procedures using ODP.NET in VB.NET (VS 2003)
This is the stored procedure,Procedure RetrieveReservations(pProperty In Varchar2,pResHeaderId In Varchar2,pEmail In Varchar2,pPasswd In Varchar2,ResultSet In Out ResCursor);This is the old .asp code (part of it)objConn.ConnectionString = Application("BackEndConnection_ConnectionString")objConn.Open objComm.ActiveConnection = objConn objComm.CommandText = "internet_package.RetrieveReservations"objComm.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc objComm.Parameters.Append objComm.CreateParameter("pProperty", adVarChar , adParamInput, 8, Request.QueryString("propid"))objComm.Parameters.Append objComm.Crea...

Help me pls. i wan't code for startup and shutdown oracle database with vb.net or c#.net
Help me pls. i wan't code for startup and shutdown oracle database with vb.net or c#.net In Windows, it would be easier to interact with Oracle by way of the service...  (I've not tried it myself, but this should work fine for a service installed on the same machine as the .net application:using System.ServiceProcess; ServiceController controller = new ServiceController(); controller.MachineName = "."; controller.ServiceName = "OracleServiceORCL"; string status = controller.Status.ToString(); // Stop the service controller.Stop(); // Start the ...

.NET Oracle Provider
Hi all,I am using .NET 2.0 Frameworks Oracle provider and it does not have a OracleDbTypes Type for me to use. I would like to create a parameter that is of the Oracle type NVARCHAR, but it seems I can only use DbTypes, which does not have this. If I used DbTypes.String, would this be ok, otherwise, how else can I be more specific about the Oracle Parameter data type?Thanks  can u explain which type of data u r going to storeThank uBaba Thank uBabaPlease remember to click "Mark as Answer" on this post if it helped you. What's your version of ODP? You have OracleD...

Which .Net Provider for Oracle 9i Microsoft or Oracle
Can anyone provide me pros and cons of provider to access Oracle Database ? I am aware of Microsoft Provider and Oracle Provider. Microsoft http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndotnet/html/manprooracperf.asp Oracle http://otn.oracle.com/software/tech/windows/odpnet/utilsoft.html I guess you can use either. But as some post suggests, if both installed, then MS ODP will not work. I've been using DataDirect Technologies Connect for .Net and Oracle. It's not free, so it depends on your budget. The speed improvements were great for us, and it's ni...

Oracle ODP.net mulitple Oracle Client
To connect to the oracle database using ODP.net, the applicate must add the dll file called Oracle.DataAccess. There are a lot of version of Oracle.DataAccess. As I know, if the client use Oracle Client 10g Release 2. If the client use Oracle Client 10g Release 2, the application also have to use the Oracle.DataAccess the come from Oracle Client 10g Release 2.  My question is that there are any method to add more than one Oracle.DataAccess version in my product to support multiple OracleClient.   That should automatically happen for the most part.  Oracle's ODP.NET i...

OleDb.Net vs. ODBC.Net Connection to Oracle
I want to connect to an Oracle database, and I understand that I can use either the OleDB.Net data provider or the ODBC.Net data provider for my connection. Does it matter which one I use? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Would appreciate any input. ODBC is slower than OleDb. because ODBC has to talk to OleDbProvider then OleDbProvider will talk to Oracle Db. Instead if you are able to use OleDb straight to DB then it will be faster. If you only have THOSE choices, I would take OleDb over ODBC any day. If you are using Framework 1.1, you have the choice of using th...

VB.NET to oracle database connection
Hello,  I've been trying for days to try to connect to oracle database but still no success, I've put the connection in the web.config in the <ConnectionString> place, created the connection on the page itself: Private sqlCon As New OleDbConnection("Provider=msdaora;Data Source=Server1/orcl2;User Id=Train;Password=Train;") but still no success, Now I'm trying to make a local connection throught Tools > Connect to database but still no success. All I get is this: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name at Could ...

VB.NET and Oracle database, help
i am trying to connect to a Oracle database using VB.NET. that database has one table which has one entry in it. no compilation errors, no runtime errors... but no result either.i've downloaded the system.data.oracleclient.dll as u can see i referenced it in the code, i've opened a connection manually(not with the code) with the oracle database.here's the code: <%@ Page Language="vb" Explicit="true" AutoEventWireup="false" Codebehind="WebForm1.aspx.vb" Inherits="WebApplication2.WebForm1" CompilerOptions='/R:"C:\Pr...

Web resources about - vb.net oracle update - asp.net.oracle

Oracle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the classical medium. For the software company, see Oracle Corporation . For other uses, see Oracle (disambiguation) . ...

Oracle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the classical medium. For the software company, see Oracle Corporation . For other uses, see Oracle (disambiguation) . ...

News Oracle
The News Oracle is an online news outlet. The Oracle covers the most relevant stories from around the globe.

Kenshoo, Oracle Social Cloud Announce Integration
... and provider of cloud-based digital marketing solutions and predictive media optimization technology, announced an integration with Oracle Social ...

Oracle Sees Future in Traditional Targeting
The evangelists of cutting-edge audience data and targeting are embracing the traditional. Oracle, owner of digital data pioneers BlueKai and ...

Oracle: Cloud Profit Set to Trough This Year, Rise in ’17, Says Goldman
Shares of database giant Oracle (ORCL) are up 54 cents, 1.5%, $37.84, after Goldman Sachs’s Heather Bellini this morning reiterated her Buy rating ...

Oracle's Amazon-killer might really be six months away
At Oracle's enormous customer conference held last month in San Francisco, company execs talked endlessly about Oracle's plan to dominate in ...

Tencent Holding ADR Partners With Oracle To Expand Cloud Services In China
China Business News Tencent Holding ADR Partners With Oracle To Expand Cloud Services In China China Business News Oracle Corporation (NYSE:ORCL) ...

Court tosses out Oracle's bid to disqualify Java expert
A court in California has declined Oracle's bid to disqualify an expert in its copyright dispute with Google over the use of Java code in the ...

How did Rush feel when Oracle roared for his huge third quarter?
... Search 54° Navigation Home Giants A's Sharks Warriors Kings 49ers Raiders Quakes Insiders More Tickets Shop Watch How did Rush feel when Oracle ...